Avast is one of the biggest names in antivirus protection, supplying around 17 percent of American companies and homes. However, what few people realize is that Avast also offers a Virtual Private Network service called Avast Secureline.
This article will provide everything you need to know about the Avast Secureline VPN free trial offer. Avast Secureline could well be the ideal complement to your antivirus software, and Avast has made it fairly simple to give their flagship privacy tool a trial run.
Why has Avast decided to offer a full free trial for Secureline?
Avast know their market. They realize that VPNs vary considerably in terms of reliability and speed, and people who use VPNs want to know how good the tool is before committing to payment plans. So, to provide users with that opportunity, they are giving users a generous 7-day Avast VPN trial period.
The Avast VPN trial is totally free of charge, with no obligation to purchase when the trial period ends. It comes with all of the main features, so users can get a really good feel for what the VPN has to offer.
You can just click on the download button, fire it up and make up your mind. However, subscription payments will kick in if you run over the 7-day limit.
So, what Avast has done is very clever: they give a full-featured taster for one week, letting users experience the full Secureline package. Many VPNs offer free trials, but they usually come with restrictions which make them much less functional than the real thing. That’s not the case with the Avast VPN trial.
What does the Avast Secureline VPN free trial bring to the table?
Even though we’re talking about a free trial, the feature set is pretty extensive, offering everything you’ll get with the full paid-for version. For instance, with the Avast VPN free trial you’ll get:
- Bank grade encryption.
- A UI that’s optimized for smartphone users, with specialist Android and iOS versions.
- Anti-geo-blocking functions that work around price discrimination, blocks on streaming sites and government censorship.
- Servers in 33 countries around the world, including the United States, Russia, Brazil, Australia, and the UK.
- The ability to connect up to 5 devices using the same VPN account.
- No bandwidth limits, speeds of “up to” 2 gigabits per second and a choice of torrent-friendly servers.
Getting started with the Avast VPN free trial
Downloading the Avast free trial version is simple, and getting started with the VPN is extremely easy as well. Just head to the Avast Store and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
When you get there, you’ll find a range of options:
- PC – If you’re downloading for the PC, Avast have created a Windows version which can be downloaded via the following link.
- Mac – Mac users can get a hold of their free trial version here.
- Android – There’s also a free trial for Android users, which you can get a hold of here.
- iOS – Finally, iPhone and iPad users will want to download the iOS version, which can be found at this download page.
How to set up the standalone version of the Avast VPN free trial
Whatever option you choose, setting up the standalone version of the Avast VPN free trial is easy.
First up, you should receive a confirmation email with details about your Avast account. Keep that handy for the setup process. Mobile users will find their “activation code” in the settings – subscription section of the Secureline app.
If you opt for Windows, here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure that there are no VPNs or antivirus programs other than Avast running on your system.
- Download the Secureline setup file for Windows.
- Run the file “avast_secureline_setup.exe” and choose the “Run As Administrator” option.
- Allow the app permission to make changes to your system if prompted.
- Select the right language.
- Accept the Avast license agreement when prompted.
- Select an installation path, then press “Install”.
- Click “Finish”. Now you can open the Secureline client by heading to the bottom right-hand corner of the Windows UI and choosing the “Open Avast Secureline option.”
- When that’s done, fire up the app and choose the “Start Free Trial” option. You should be asked for an email address, and Avast will send a confirmation email. When the app asks for your activation code, paste in the code contained in your confirmation email, and you’re all set.
For Mac users, the installation process is almost exactly the same. If you’re downloading the free VPN trial for Android or iOS phones, you’ll have to download the app from Google Play or the Apple App Store.
How to activate the Secureline free trial if you already have Avast Antivirus
It’s important to note that the process is different if you already have Avast’s antivirus software installed on your system. In that case, Secureline is already part of the package, and simply needs to be activated to start operating.
Here’s how to activate the VPN free trial for Windows:
- Sign up for the free trial as discussed earlier, and open the confirmation email that Avast send through.
- Copy the activation code in full and open your Avast Account in the Avast Antivirus app.
- Choose the “Subscription Information” tab, then click “My licenses”. Enter the activation code in the field provided.
- When that’s done, press the “Continue” button and you should see that the free trial for Secureline has been activated.
And for Mac users:
- Copy the activation code from your confirmation email.
- Secureline VPN should already be installed and ready to be activated (if you have Avast Antivirus). To find it, head to the “Go” menu, then the “Applications” tab.
- Scroll down until you find Avast Secureline VPN and open the app.
- Find the “Preferences” tab, choose “Subscription”, then “Activate”. Enter the code where requested.
- Choose the “Activate Secureline” button to finish the activation process.
Cancelling an Avast VPN free trial
If you’ve tried the free trial and don’t like what Secureline has to offer, that’s fine. You can cancel any time before the 7 days have elapsed. If you don’t cancel, then the subscription option you chose when downloading the VPN will kick in. So it pays to be sharp about ending the trial.
Simply uninstalling the VPN will not end your free trial. To do so, mobile users will need to use Google Play (payments.google.com) or the Apple App Store, where they can cancel their Secureline subscription.
If you’re using Windows or Mac, you’ll need to disable auto-renewal via the Avast Customer Portal. Enter your Avast ID and password, then choose the “Manage Subscription” option next to Secureline.
On the next page, just set “Automatic Renewals” to “Off”, then press the “Disable Automatic Renewal” button and you’re good to go.
Alternatively, you could upgrade to a full Secureline subscription. Avast VPN prices vary depending on which device you use. The cheapest package for computers works out at just over $5 per month, although smartphone users can benefit from much cheaper rates, with monthly charges of as little as $1.67. Not too expensive!
Conclusion: Is the Avast VPN free trial any good?
Is Avast VPN free? No, it’s not. But there is a fully functional Secureline VPN trial, which is free of charge and gives you a week with all of the VPN’s features. So feel free to experiment, but if you decide that Secureline isn’t for you, make sure you cancel within the 7 day period. If you don’t, you’ll soon receive a bill for the full subscription.