Users of LG Smart TVs can greatly benefit from using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). While an important advantage of using a VPN on LG Smart TV is improved security, it is also useful for accessing geo-blocked content – from apps to TV shows or movies.
Adding a VPN to your LG Smart TV increases security and lets you unblock multiple streaming platforms.
Finding the best VPN for LG TV can be a daunting task. But fear not, because we’ve selected the top providers for your LG device.
No time to read? Here are our candidates for the best VPN for LG Smart TV:
- Top-notch security features
- NordLynx protocol ensures the best speeds
- Flawless privacy practices
- No router app
With over 5000+ servers in 59 countries, NordVPN makes its mark as a great VPN for LG TV no matter where you reside. It offers top speeds and excellent connectivity while protecting you from bandwidth throttling.
NordVPN is arguably the safest service, which is especially important for smart TV users. The LG TV WebOS interface has had its share of security holes, that’s why adding protection and privacy with a good VPN is recommended.
Finally, NordVPN does a good job of unblocking websites and apps. It will allow you to stream Netflix and other content platforms on your LG smart TV or any other device. Once you download NordVPN, you’ll be able to try this LG VPN risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN
- Highly affordable
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Great performance
- Weak self-help support section
Surfshark VPN has a Smart DNS feature, which is why this LG VPN is one of the leading options for streaming fans. It also allows unlimited simultaneous connections, which combines nicely with the low price that starts at $1.94/month.
This VPN features excellent security, leak protection, and military-grade encryption. Surfshark’s security doesn’t come at the expense of speed – this is one of the fastest providers, boasting 1700+ servers in over 60 countries.
We recommend you to get Surfshark VPN if you want to unblock Netflix and other streaming platforms. This service has 24/7 live chat support and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee – what’s not to love?
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
- Excellent security features
- Independently-audited no-logs polic
- Decent price
- No anonymous payments
With 700+ servers in 60+ countries, it’s among the fastest services on offer, which is why we recommend getting VyprVPN for your LG Smart TV. This service provides clear instructions to set up a VPN on your TV via your router. As for LG smartphones, you will be able to use VyprVPN for Android.
VyprVPN is known for finding its way around firewalls and accessing blocked content. That means you can enjoy whatever content you want, which includes streaming Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and other platforms.
This LG VPN is registered in Switzerland – one of the most privacy-friendly countries in the world. VyprVPN’s no-logs policy has been audited independently, ensuring your data is safe. Finally, all plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of VyprVPN, read our VyprVPN review.
- Great performance
- Good security features
- Decent global coverage
- Support could be more responsive
PrivateVPN is one of the best providers out there, and it’s just as good for your LG Smart TV or LG smartphone. This VPN provider has an unimpressive 150+ servers across 60+ countries but offers impressive speeds. How so? PrivateVPN buys its internet capacity straight from the IP transit provider, which means quality over quantity.
This service has a wide variety of features and an intuitive UI, making it easy to use even for beginners. It gives military-grade encryption, leak protection, and a strict no-logs policy for maximum privacy. As a bonus, PrivateVPN allows torrenting and has specialized servers for streaming Netflix, Disney Plus, and other content platforms.
This LG VPN is really cheap, featuring a 30-day money-back guarantee, and a lengthy 7-day free trial. Visit PrivateVPN.com and give it a try today.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
- Great security features
- Very fast
- 7-day free trial
- Very expensive
ExpressVPN impresses with its connection speed and simple user interface. The company has over 3000 servers in more than 90 countries. This makes it an LG VPN of choice for ultimate location freedom.
LG users will appreciate that the service supports 5 devices in its basic package, meaning that both an LG Smart TV and an LG smartphone can benefit from it at the same time. ExpressVPN has its own version of Smart DNS (MediaStreamer), which you can use to access restricted content on LG devices without losing any speed.
As one of the top VPNs overall, this service is both fast and secure. Install ExpressVPN today and use the 30-day money-back guarantee to try it out!
For a deeper investigation of ExpressVPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
Why use a VPN for LG smart TV?
LG Smart TVs don’t allow direct VPN installation, but you can install an LG TV VPN directly on the router, covering all devices that connect to your local wifi network. Some VPN providers also offer a Smart DNS feature, unblocking geo-restricted content without additional encryption. There’s also a third option – sharing a VPN connection from your Windows or Mac computer.
Before you select one of the methods mentioned above, it’s important to understand the benefits of a VPN on LG smart TV, one of which is an encrypted connection. Service providers and app platforms can limit what people can see and do. Content can also be limited to a certain geographical area. Since VPNs allow people to use a different IP address, users can enjoy content from all over the world.
How to setup a VPN on LG smart TV with a router
While VPNs don’t support LG’s WebOS operating system, you can still connect your LG smart TV with a router. If you already own one, you should check if that particular VPN supports it. If you have either DD-WRT or Tomato, you will likely have no trouble with the installation.
If you don’t have a router yet, one of the options is buying a pre-configured one from the VPN provider or FlashRouters. And when you finally get one, you only have to follow these steps:
- Setup a VPN on your router. If you’ve bought a pre-flashed router, skip this step.
- Connect the ethernet cable to your LG smart TV’s LAN port and the other end to the router’s LAN port.
- Press the SMART button on your LG smart TV remote and scroll to the Home menu.
- Select Settings, then Network, and then Network connection.
- Choose Start Connection. Your TV should now be connected.
If you have trouble setting up a VPN on your router, don’t hesitate to contact customer support. The best VPNs for LG devices have a 24/7 live chat. If the router is working fine, but your TV won’t connect, consider getting help from LG.
How to set up a VPN on LG smart TV with a Windows computer
You can share your Windows VPN connection with your LG smart TV. Here’s how you do that:
- Connect your LG smart TV to your Windows computer with an Ethernet cable.
- Go to Start, Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
- Find your VPN connection. It should be named something like TAP-VPN Windows Adapter. Right-click on it and choose Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab and tick Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.
- Select Local Area Connection and click OK.
- Restart your LG smart TV and your Windows computer.
How to setup a VPN on LG smart TV with Mac computer
If you have a Mac at home, you can share its VPN connection with your LG smart TV. Here’s the step-by-step guide:
- Turn off your LG smart TV and connect it to your Mac with a USB-to-Ethernet adapter.
- Click the Apple icon, then System Preferences and finally Sharing.
- Pull down the Sharing your connection from the menu and choose your VPN connection.
- In the To computers using box, tick USB Ethernet.
- Check Internet Sharing. When the pop-up box appears, click Start.
- Internet Sharing: On should turn green.
- Restart your LG smart TV.
How to setup Smart DNS on LG Smart TV
If you’re fine without the encryption and some of the other benefits of a VPN connection, you can use only its geo-unblocking capabilities to stream Netflix and other platforms via smart DNS. To do so:
- Press the HOME button on the remote control. Choose SETTINGS in the top-right.
- Select Network, then Wi-Fi Connection.
- Select Advanced Settings, then Edit.
- Enter the DNS server addresses of your VPN and press Connect.
- Wait for the connection test to finish.
- Reboot your LG smart TV.
The only nuisance with using smart DNS is having to switch your LG Smart TV region. Otherwise, you won’t be able to install the local Netflix or other streaming apps.
Why use a VPN for an LG smartphone?
LG smartphones come with different Android versions. But even an updated operating system can come with its own security issues. That’s especially the case with popular ones like Windows or Android.
Making transactions while connected to a public network can be unsafe. Protecting your personal information as well as avoiding having your personal communications spied on are among the benefits of a VPN. However, LG smartphones can also benefit from unblocked content, especially in the form of access to restricted websites or Android apps.
Features of a top LG TV VPN service
Since many top VPNs come with multi-device capability, a single subscription plan can cover both an LG Smart TV and an LG smartphone. All of our recommended VPN services come with military-grade encryption. This means that they currently cannot be cracked and will keep your traffic safe from prying eyes.
Encryption is closely related to the tunneling protocols offered by a VPN. The most popular of these is OpenVPN – a go-to choice for LG smartphone users and others with Android devices. That’s because this tunneling protocol is both fast and secure.
But when it comes to the must-haves of a good VPN for LG TV, there are a few other considerations to have in mind:
- Server infrastructure – servers in multiple countries can facilitate multiple IP locations, faster speeds, and increased connectivity options.
- The number of supported devices – the best VPNs for LG TV allow you to connect up to 7 devices, while some don’t have the upper limit at all.
- No logs of personal data – some VPN providers still keep user logs. It goes without saying this should not be the case with a premium service. Together with no bandwidth limitations, users should also feel confident there is no information saved on their online activity.
- Unblocking streaming platforms – Netflix and other popular content libraries often have various geographic restrictions. This means that you might not be able to watch your favorite shows and movies on your LG smart TV. Best VPNs unblock Netflix and other streaming platforms on a consistent basis.
Best free VPN for LG smart TV
Finding a good free VPN is hard. Finding a good free VPN for LG smart TV is even harder.
For starters, free VPNs have very poor streaming capabilities. Even if you manage to find one that unblocks Netflix, most likely it won’t work with Hulu, Disney+ or other content platforms. And even if you’re fine with just Netflix that might work one day and won’t work the other, a free VPN with a Smart DNS feature is hard to come by.
What’s more, most free VPNs make money by showing annoying ads. And those that don’t are most likely selling your data to third parties. That’s why we say there’s no such thing as the best free VPN for LG smart TV.
The versatility of these LG VPN services is appreciable. If they work with an LG Smart TV, they will also work with other brands if users go for an upgrade in the future. While they work smoothly on LG smartphones, they also offer the same support and policies for any other Android smartphone.