Having a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is becoming essential for web users across the world, and New Zealand is no exception. Whether you’re worried about government surveillance or cybercriminals, or you need to unblock multinational entertainment platforms, finding a high-quality VPN is vital.
With that in mind, we’ve ranked the country’s most dependable providers, including the best VPN for New Zealand. So read on if you want ultra-secure data transfer, seamless streaming, and total privacy online.
Why would you need a good VPN in New Zealand?
VPNs aren’t just useful in repressive countries like Iran or China. Even liberal states like New Zealand can operate intrusive surveillance or investigative agencies, which put your privacy at risk. Moreover, New Zealand is part of the so-called “5 Eyes” alliance, which means that Wellington regularly shares intelligence with the USA and the UK.
Aside from resisting government surveillance, VPNs have a number of uses. They can help you find the best prices for travel fares by working around country filters. They can let you access streaming content anywhere in the world, and protect against cybercriminals. Some also feature advanced malware protection and lock down your email, keeping personal information completely safe.
So there are many good reasons to choose the best VPN for New Zealand, but how have we chosen our list of the nation’s finest providers?
How we arrived at our New Zealand VPN rankings
Basically, we’ve applied a series of criteria which various elite VPNs from the also-rans. By scoring these factors objectively, it’s possible to compare the very best providers, allowing us to rank one outstanding provider as the premium option.
Here are the factors that contributed to our decisions:
- Privacy – Is the provider based in a country with rock-solid privacy credentials? We’ve stayed clear (as much as possible) of providers in 5/9/14 1Eyes countries, where surveillance can’t be easily avoided.
- Speed – Users need lightning fast download speeds to stream content or use P2P clients, so speed has to be a major factor.
- Value – All of the providers in our list offer paid subscriptions, and we don’t recommend free alternatives. There’s a balance to be struck between value and quality, so price always needs to be considered.
- Flexibility – Does the provider offer multiple connections or clients for smartphones and routers? How many protocols does it support? Can you focus protection on certain activities? All of these questions matter, so flexibility is a key consideration.
- Security – VPNs are useless without impregnable encryption, so only providers with the very best standards are part of our rankings.
- Local and international performance – NZ users will want to enjoy access to local streaming services like TVNZ, as well as multinational broadcasters – and good VPNs work well on a local and international level.
So that’s how we came to our decisions. The result is a selection of providers which score well all-around – with some specialists in the pack which might appeal to niche customers. But remember, there’s only one best VPN for New Zealand, and you’ll find it at the end of our list.
Ranking the best VPN for New Zealand
1. ExpressVPN ‣
- Location: British Virgin Islands
- Pricing: starts from $8.32/month
- Features: Crypto payments, fast speeds, outside 14 eyes, no logs, gold standard encryption, over 3,000 servers, accessible app, good for P2P and Netflix, 30-day guarantee, 24/7 live chat assistance, 3 simultaneous devices
Located in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN is our clear winner as the best VPN for New Zealand. While NordVPN, Perfect Privacy, VyprVPN and the others are all excellent products, ExpressVPN delivers everything Kiwi internet users need to stay safe online.
Encryption standards are as strong as possible, with 256-bit AES ciphers. There’s no risk of DNS leakage, and the VPN supports Netflix and P2P, so entertainment lovers will be delighted. Speeds are excellent across the board, thanks to a huge server network, and the ExpressVPN client is very simple to setup and use.
You can pay anonymously via cryptocurrencies, and if problems arise, the ExpressVPN team is available 24/7 via Live Chat, with no downtime. And should you want to look elsewhere (which we think is unlikely), there’s a 30-day money back guarantee.
So there you have it. New Zealand’s finest VPNs deliver a high level of privacy, at great prices. Pick one, install it, and your online privacy worries should disappear.
2. NordVPN ‣
- Location: Panama
- Pricing: starts from $3.49/month
- Features: Gold standard AES encryption, fast speeds, Netflix unblocking, over 5,700 servers, 6 simultaneous devices, kill switch, DoubleVPN protection, smartphone apps, 30-day guarantee, no logs
Panama’s NordVPN is one of the world’s finest VPNs which regularly ranks as number one for countries around the globe. But it’s not our selection for the best VPN for New Zealand – although it came very, very close.
NordVPN does almost everything right. On the security side, 256-bit AES encryption, solid IP concealment and anonymization, DNS leak protection, and a range of protocols combine with innovative Double VPN system to give users total peace of mind. What’s more, you can pay with cryptocurrencies, which makes truly anonymous signups possible.
Streaming fans can use NordVPN to access American or European Netflix with no problems (unlike some cheaper options), and P2P is supported as well – good news for torrenters.
Moreover, the company has very strong customer service, so you can expect responses very quickly to even the simplest queries. And with 6 simultaneous connections, families can protect all of their devices very cheaply.
So why isn’t NordVPN at the top of the list? Well, while it’s fast, its speeds aren’t as impressive as those of our number one pick.
3. CyberGhost ‣
- Location: Romania
- Pricing: starts from $2.75/month
- Features: BitCoin payments supported, IP anonymization, 256-bit encryption, no logs policy, 3,000 servers in 60 countries (including NZ), 7 simultaneous connections, plenty of platforms supported, 45-day guarantee
Romanian contender CyberGhost is another slick VPN that narrowly misses being classed as the best VPN for New Zealand. On a technical level, this is a provider which does almost everything right. OpenVPN protocols mix with 256-bit military grade encryption to secure every data packet you send, and there’s no real sacrifice in terms of speed.
You’ll be able to unblock Netflix reliably, and with 3,000 servers, you can work around plenty of other geo-blocks as well. So finding cheap airfares will be a breeze.
Price-wise, CyberGhost is excellent value, with regular discounts and a very generous 45-day money back guarantee, which operates smoothly. You can use it for torrenting as much as you like, with no bandwidth restrictions. And 7 simultaneous connections is enough for student houses and families alike.
So where is the catch? Well, there have been some allegations in the news about possible security issues, especially regarding the (unproven) possibility of adware injection. So keep track of developments. But for now, CyberGhost is a very solid provider in our opinion.
- Location: USA
- Pricing: starts from $3.33/month
- Features: Over 3,000 servers, Netflix streaming, Excellent encryption, P2P supported, no logs policy, kill switch, a wide range of platforms and browser extensions
While we stated in our criteria that we’d prefer to include VPNs located outside the 14 Eyes surveillance network, it’s hard not to include Private Internet Access (better known as PIA). Although it’s based in the USA, PIA is ideal for Kiwis due to its huge local presence. Because of its number of NZ servers, PIA should deliver solid speeds for web browsing and streaming.
And with Netflix unblocking, P2P support, excellent browser extensions, smartphone clients, strong encryption, and a watertight no-logging policy, there’s no doubt that PIA operates a very slick, impressive operation.
However, aside from the US location (which would exclude it from the top spot anyway), there are some minuses. There’s no free trial or guarantee, and live chat support isn’t available. So PIA won’t be for everyone, but it’s still worth considering, especially if speed is your number one factor.
- Location: Switzerland
- Pricing: starts from $8.95/month
- Features: No logs, unlimited devices, apps for all major platforms, excellent security features, TOR and SOCKS5 included, servers in 23 countries, supports IPv6, 7-day guarantee
Switzerland’s Perfect Privacy is a specialist VPN for people who need a little bit more security and support than other off the shelf solutions provide. And the prices reflect this. It’s probably the most expensive option on our list, which will deter some people, but you get what you pay for.
High-end security features include DoubleVPN systems, 256-bit encryption, StealthVPN technology, NeuroRouting, and smooth compatibility with TOR browsers. So if you absolutely have to remain hidden, Perfect Privacy will be an invaluable ally.
On the debit side, it’s not ideal for torrenting and streaming, with a 1000mbs bandwidth limit, and the server network is relatively small, while the 7-day guarantee is relatively short. Then again, you can connect as many devices as you like – a huge bonus for small businesses. So we think this is a provider to check out.
6. VyprVPN ‣
- Location: Switzerland
- Pricing: starts from $5.00/month
- Features: 3 simultaneous devices, no third party hosting, excellent end-to-end encryption, independent audits, a wide range of apps, over 700 servers in more than 70 countries, anti-throttling tools, unlimited bandwidth, zero knowledge DNS
Although it’s also based in Switzerland, VyprVPN is a little bit different from Perfect Privacy. This provider is aimed at a mass market, offering affordable but feature-rich packages which compete with the best.
Security is very impressive, with no third-party servers, independent security audits, absolutely zero knowledge DNS procedures, and encryption which ranks up there with the best VPN for New Zealand.
Streamers will be happy to know that VyprVPN has few issues when it comes to cracking Netflix geo-blockers, and the speed of the service, in general, is above average. So the basics are in place. But are there any drawbacks?
Well, yes. For starters, standard packages only support 3 devices at one time, and Bitcoin payments aren’t supported. So you can’t pay anonymously, which we would prefer to see. So it’s not perfect.
7. BulletVPN ‣
- Location: Estonia
- Pricing: starts from $7.49/month
- Features: 30-day guarantee, plenty of platforms supported, many discounts, use of tier-1 data centers, crypto payments supported, 3 devices, unlimited bandwidth, all major protocols supported, strong AES encryption, 24/7 support, 21 servers
Based in the Baltic republic of Estonia, BulletVPN is another solid Virtual Private Network which deserves consideration. All of the basic requirements are here: strong speeds, tier-1 servers, industry-leading encryption, OpenVPN protocols, and anonymous cryptocurrency payments. So you can be confident that your activities on BulletVPN are properly anonymized.
There are clients for any platform you could name, and speeds are up there with the best VPN for New Zealand. Sometimes. Why sometimes? Because BulletVPN has a very small server network and a presence in relatively few countries. So while it can work well for streaming, it often struggles.
Moreover, users can only connect 3 devices at one time with the basic package, which is pretty stingy compared to other leading options. But hey, discounts are available which make BulletVPN one of the cheapest Virtual Private Networks around, so these flaws are easy to overlook.
If you’re in New Zealand, which of these VPNs have you used before? Did we miss any great VPNs for New Zealand? Let us know in the comments below.