Virtual Private Networks are an essential part of staying safe online. Capable of creating secure encrypted tunnels between home or business networks and the wider internet, VPNs shield your communications and identity, providing multiple benefits in the process. These benefits apply to Peru just as much as anywhere else.
We’ve compiled a list of our favorite contenders for the best VPN for Peru based on the following criteria:
- Speed – good providers are fast providers. We’ve eliminated services with chronic lag and small server networks.
- Flexibility – multiple device connections, plenty of apps, a range of protocols, StealthVPN, Smart Modes – these are the features we look for in flexible VPNs.
- Reliability – we aren’t interested in services which drop all the time, no matter how fast they are.
- Privacy – our favorite providers are safely outside the 14 eyes surveillance network, and they have solid no-logging policies too.
- Security – only services with advanced encryption and a track record of avoiding breaches qualify for our list.
- Value – price isn’t our sole concern, but we aren’t interested in overpriced, mediocre providers.
No time to read? Here are our best VPNs:
- Location: Panama
- Pricing: $6.99/month for 1 year
- Features: 30-day money-back guarantee, kill switch, DoubleVPN, TOR supported, P2P friendly, unblocks Netflix, 256-bit AES encryption, CyberSec protection, dedicated IPs available, no logs, no bandwidth restrictions, over 5000 servers in 59 countries (including multiple South American locations).
Based in Panama (safely outside the 14-Eyes network), NordVPN is right up there in the upper echelons of the global privacy elite. And the great thing about NordVPN is that you get premium features for a decently low price.
Security is locked tight with NordVPN. Military-grade AES-256-bit encryption combined with advanced protocols, a kill switch, DNS leak protection and added features like CyberSec – which guards against malware and malicious websites. And the independently-audited no logs policy is reassuring, too.
Users very rarely report any issues with Netflix unblocking, and NordVPN’s P2P record is second to none, ensuring excellent download speeds. NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee if for some reason your speeds don’t measure up.
So why isn’t NordVPN the best VPN for Peru? Well, again, it’s not as fast as some of the others, and torrenting is not allowed on all servers (only some). Still, it’s an excellent privacy tool.
2. Surfshark VPN
- Location: British Virgin Islands
- Pricing: starts at $1.99/month
- Features: kill-switch, no-logging policy, industry-leading encryption and phishing protection
- Server count: 1700+ in 60+ countries
Surfshark VPN is a great option for Peruvian users and can definitely be recommended. Offering plenty of servers to choose from, it also comes with 256-bit AES encryption. You also get IP and DNS leak protection to secure your privacy.
It has numerous other strengths like a kill switch and strict no-logs policy. In addition, it’s priced very reasonably since service allows an unlimited number of connections per account.
You can also connect to P2P servers and bypass regional Netflix blocks to access more libraries.
- Location: Switzerland
- Pricing: $3.75/month for 1 year
- Features: military-grade encryption, kill switch, no leaks, no-logs policy, privacy-friendly jurisdiction, unblocks Netflix, supports torrenting, owns all of its 700+ servers, apps for routers, 30-day money-back guarantee, works in China
Switzerland’s VyprVPN is not in the Fourteen Eyes intelligence alliance, making it suitable for South American internet users. It narrowly misses out on the top spot in our hunt for the best VPN for Peru, but not by much.
Privacy and security are the strong points of VyprVPN. We’re talking about military-grade encryption, Chameleon 2.0 protocol, and leak protection here. It would be hard to find a chink in the armor that VyprVPN is offering for your connection.
You can rely on this VPN to unblock Netflix and other streaming platforms when needed, and P2P downloaders will find it supported on all servers. There are app for all major platforms and also routers – not many competitors can offer the latter. Should you decide to try VyprVPN, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee available.
There’s no doubt that VyprVPN is a great security tool. However, it has one flaw that may or may not be of importance to you. And that is the lack of anonymous payment options – only credit cards, UnionPay, and PayPal are accepted.
4. Astrill VPN
- Location: The Seychelles
- Pricing: $10.00/month for 1 year ($50 for Astrill VPN routers)
- Features: router compatibility, unlimited devices, unlimited bandwidth, 256-bit AES encryption, unblocks Netflix, P2P friendly, no logs, DNS leak protection, Smart Mode, StealthVPN, kill switch, TOR friendly, 320 servers in 62 countries, including nations in South America.
This pick for our best VPN for Peru list might come out of left-field for some people. However, Astrill VPN scored well in every area, making it great in our opinion.
Based in Seychelles, Astrill is well outside the 14 Eyes, and its security and privacy features are strong: 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, various protocols, StealthVPN, and a solid no logging policy provide users with everything they need to stay safe online.
You can also run Tor through Astrill VPN – adding even more privacy. But security isn’t achieved by sacrificing flexibility. Smart Mode lets you decide which services are protected by encryption, and with unlimited devices, you can connect every computer, phone, or console in your house.
Add-in excellent Netflix unblocking and P2P performance, and we think you’ve got a champion Virtual Private Network. But don’t take our word for it. Subscribe today and give Astrill VPN a try.
- Location: British Virgin Islands
- Pricing: $8.32/month for 1 year
- Features: unblocks Netflix, 256-bit encryption, kill switch, multiple apps, three simultaneous devices, 30-day money-back guarantee, servers in 90 countries, supports OpenVPN, L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, and PPTP protocols, no logs, split tunneling
This awesome all-around VPN makes the grade as the best VPN for Peru. It’s one of the best around for South American web users.
All of the building blocks of a great VPN are here: 256-bit AES encryption, all major protocols, split tunneling to allow maximum flexibility, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch should things go wrong. So you’ll be safe and sound whatever you get up to online.
P2P is catered for, with excellent speeds and plenty of local servers to use. And entertainment fans will appreciate ExpressVPN’s very impressive track record on Netflix unblocking. There are apps for all major devices, and the client could hardly be easier to use.
So where are the negatives? Well, it’s somewhat more expensive than many of the other top choices. But ExpressVPN has other benefits, to be sure.
Why Peruvian internet users need a high-quality VPN
To some people, Virtual Private Networks might seem like overkill. After all, do they need anonymization if they already have antivirus and malware protection?
In most cases, yes. VPNs have some unique abilities which make them really appealing for Peruvian web users. Firstly, they allow people to work around “geo-blockers” – which platforms like Netflix use to segment their audience. That way, you can maximize the number of TV shows and movies available to watch.
Flight fares and accommodation can also be subject to geographical filters. With a Virtual Private Network, you can render these filters inoperable, and find the best travel prices from providers across the world.
Gamers can benefit from providers which offer fast servers and DDoS protection, while everyone can benefit from privacy protection. With America’s NSA extending its surveillance net worldwide, and Lima investing in tools to monitor the whole population, it makes sense to hide your activity from any snoopers.
If you’re in Peru, which of these VPNs have you used before? Did we miss any great VPNs for Peru? Let us know in the comments below.