Roku entered the market back in 2008, offering the first external player to stream Netflix, then Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other popular services to the TV. Over the years, the company released various products, becoming an excellent tool for all streaming lovers. That is especially the case when Roku is used with a reliable, easy-to-set-up VPN provider.
Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) with Roku opens a world of content, normally blocked due to geo-restrictions.
One of the main issues for users is that there’s no way to install a VPN directly onto Roku. So for this list, we only went with tools that have easy workarounds for this problem. Instructions on how to set it all up are provided as well. But first, let’s introduce you to the easiest VPNs to set up on Roku.
Best VPN for Roku: shortlist
- The best VPN for Roku9.6
- Roku VPN with unlimited devices9.3
- Streaming VPN for Roku TV9.2
- Roku TV VPN with malware protection8.8
- VPN for Roku with a vast network8.5
How to install a VPN on Roku
- Download a reliable Roku VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 60% off!
- Manually configure the VPN on a router
- Connect to a server in the US or other suitable country
- Enjoy the various unlocked streaming libraries!
5 Best VPN for Roku: detailed list
- NordVPN – The best VPN for Roku
- Surfshark VPN – Roku VPN with unlimited devices
- PrivateVPN – Streaming VPN for Roku TV
- IPVanish – Roku TV VPN with malware protection
- PureVPN – VPN for Roku with a vast network
Roku doesn’t natively support VPN software, so router compatibility is the thing you should be looking for in Roku TV VPNs. Then you can’t forget about the crucial tools that let you circumvent restrictions – high-grade encryption, IP and DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Best VPNs that include these are your best friends here.
The service should also be optimized for 4K HD quality and zero buffering, so the latest tunneling protocols are a must. Besides this, having a wide-reaching server network will also ensure you get access to optimal server connections, plus foreign libraries on such services as Netflix and Disney+.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Roku
24/7 live chat, Email
- Speeds powered by NordLynx
- SmartPlay for streaming platforms
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN is our top choice when it comes to the easiest VPNs to set up on Roku. Once everything is in place, a myriad of foreign content becomes available, including region-specific apps. What’s more, it’s leak-free, with an audited no-log policy and top-notch protection features.
The vast network of 5400+ servers spread across 60+ countries manages to offer incredible speeds at any time, any place. Enjoy your favorite movies in crisp 4K quality, thanks to the NordLynx tunneling protocol. Anonymity-conscious folks aren’t left out either – all standard servers are RAM-only.
There’s nothing NordVPN can’t unlock when it comes to popular platforms. From Netflix to BBC iPlayer, the entertainment possibilities are endless. The SmartPlay feature also ensures you can access streaming services on various devices.
Coming at $3.29/month after applying a NordVPN coupon, it’s just what you need with 6 simultaneous connections. Check out the 7-day free trial version (via Google Play Store) if you’re iffy about committing right away. Just remember that your subscription is protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Roku VPN with unlimited devices
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- No device limit
- WireGuard-fuelled speeds
- Smart DNS for streaming
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another VPN for Roku TV worth investing in is Surfshark VPN. You’ll find great speeds, tight security features, and a zero-logs policy for ultimate anonymity. The best thing about it is that there is no connection limit, allowing you to protect every device you own.
You’re bound to find the best server for you when the network consists of 3200+ RAM-only servers in 65+ countries. The next-gen WireGuard protocol powers the software, so you won’t be bothered by lag during the most intense moments in movies.
Besides what Roku TV offers in its own library, effortlessly tune into Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, or other geo-restricted streaming services. A comfortable watching experience is ensured by Smart DNS, which lets you circumvent region-blocks on devices that don’t support VPN software.
Enter a Surfshark VPN code during the purchase and pay no more than $2.30/month for an excellent service. The 30-day money-back guarantee has you covered if you decide to back out. But we’re pretty sure you won’t be having such thoughts after the 7-day free trial, available via Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – streaming VPN for Roku TV
24/7 live chat
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Excellent at geo-unblocking
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
It’s only natural that Roku gains the most benefits from a VPN specializing in streaming. Introducing PrivateVPN, a service that has fully optimized the infrastructure for lightning-fast speeds. Coupled with a no data collection policy and robust privacy features, you’re in for a treat no matter what you end up watching.
The sizable server fleet of 200+ servers in 63+ countries offers surprisingly excellent performance. Getting internet capacity straight from the source certainly plays into it, but we’re sure the fact that PrivateVPN owns all hardware isn’t less important.
Just manually set it up on a router, and you’re free to explore foreign libraries on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more. And if you have any other streaming devices, say an Amazon Fire Stick or Android TV, you’ll be happy to find they’re fully supported. Securing them is EZ with 10 simultaneous connections.
You’ll be dropping only $2.00/month if you don’t forget the PrivateVPN coupon during checkout. There’s no rush to subscribe – take full advantage of the 7-day free trial. The commitment isn’t set in stone either with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Roku TV VPN with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- No virtual servers
- No anonymous payment methods
We’re sure your Roku TV experience will be all the better with IPVanish. Boasting an independently-audited no-logs policy and real-time VIPRE antivirus protection, it’s just what you need for secure streaming on every device in the house. It’s made possible with unlimited simultaneous connections, of course.
Pick a suitable connection from the 2000+ servers scattered in 50+ countries to unblock geo-restricted content easily. The provider owns all hardware, so there’s no need to worry about possible third-party tampering. Being powered by the WireGuard tunneling protocol ensures 4K-ready speeds for smooth Roku streaming as well.
Dive into extensive foreign libraries of Netflix or gander what BBC iPlayer or Disney+ has in store this season. Easily set up the IPVanish client on Android TV or ChromeOS or opt for full coverage by installing it on the router.
Utilize our IPVanish discount code and subscribe to one of the best VPNs for Roku for just $3.99/month. Not having a trial version isn’t netting the provider brownie points, but it makes up for it by offering a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. PureVPN – VPN for Roku with a vast network
24/7 live chat
- Quantum-proof encryption
- Superb speeds
- No kill switch for iOS
Get an exceptionally diverse selection of TV shows and movies on Roku with PureVPN. Utmost anonymity is this provider’s motto, so there’s no surprise their zero-logs policy has been independently audited twice. Moreover, you can pay for your subscription using cryptocurrencies like BitCoin and Ethereum.
The server fleet is genuinely enormous, spanning 6500+ servers across 70+ countries, so all streaming services with regional libraries are fully within your grasp. What’s more, videos are guaranteed to be crisp HD quality when most of the hardware is 10GBps and powered by the WireGuard protocol.
PureVPN is one of the few providers with extensive device compatibility, ranging from Android TV to Chromebook and even Raspberry Pi. Utilize the generous 10 simultaneous connections per account limit to secure them all. Family members want to watch different things? This VPN opens the doors to HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, or any other entertainment platform you want.
If you’re looking for a cheap VPN for Roku TV, the $1.99/month price tag will undoubtedly catch your eye. Just drop a PureVPN coupon during the purchase to get it. The 7-day trial version is available for anyone with a spare $0.99 in their wallet, and the subscriptions are risk-free with the 31-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
How we picked the best Roku VPNs
Let’s keep things simple: when deciding what VPN works on Roku, remember that it has to be fast, secure, affordable, and compatible with Roku boxes and devices. Let’s review each feature separately.
- Router-friendly. Roku doesn’t natively support VPN software. The only workaround is installing the VPN on your router and connecting the streaming device to the now secure network. So, the provider must be compatible with routers and preferably provide a clear installation guide. Keep in mind not all routers support VPNs as well.
- Tight security and privacy. If your actual location is leaking IP address is leaking, you won’t be able to enter any restricted platforms. The provider’s feature list must include military-grade encryption, IP and DNS leak protection, and a kill switch to ensure your IP address is hidden so that you are free to do what you want.
- Global presence. Can’t browse region-based streaming libraries if there’s no servers in those locations. That’s why we prioritize extensive networks covering as many countries as possible.
- Wicked-fast speeds. Using a VPN on Roku should ensure Ultra HD video quality and turn the buffering wheel into a distant memory. The latest tunneling protocols make this a reality, so the fastest VPN services that utilize them are suitable candidates in this case.
- Price-to-feature ratio. Don’t pay exorbitant amounts for services that do the bare minimum. There’s no harm in trying out the cheapest VPNs in the market, especially since they tend to outperform their more expensive counterparts.
- Reliable support. VPN issues tend to be a rare occurrence, but it’s nice to know professionals are ready to assist you via 24/7 live chat when they do happen.
How to set up a VPN on Roku
There are several ways to set up a VPN on Roku. The process is a bit different with each case, but don’t worry, we provide detailed instructions for your convenience.
How to use a VPN on Roku via router
It is the most common way to make Roku and VPN work together. You can head to your provider’s Support page for a concise VPN installation on a router manual.
- Double-check that your router supports manual VPN configuration on the manufacturer’s website. We recommend looking up router-specific instructions since each device has its own peculiarities. NordVPN can be easily installed on various routers.
- Open your web browser and enter the router’s IP address into the search bar to navigate to its configuration interface
- Log in – if this is the first time you’re accessing the settings, don’t forget to change the default password into something more secure
- Navigate to the VPN options and choose the VPN client – enter the correct settings (found at the VPN provider), and complete any post-installation steps (like configuring the router’s firewall)
- Test if everything works as intended by connecting any device to the VPN-configured router and heading to a DNS leak test
Now that the secure network is up and running, you want to restart Roku and connect the device to it. There are two methods – the one you follow depends on whether you have a spare Ethernet cable lying around.
Use the Ethernet cable
- Connect the Ethernet cable to your router via the internet port
- Connect the other end to your Roku player if there is a port for it
- Turn on the device and connect it to the TV using an HDMI cable
- Select the correct HDMI port
- Go to the Roku Home Screen
- Go to Settings > Network > Wired
- Follow the instructions on your screen to finish
- Go to Roku’s main menu, and click Settings > Network > Wireless (Wi-Fi)
- Choose your newly created VPN network
- Enter the password for your router and click on the Connect button
- Your VPN for Roku is now connected – enjoy limitless streaming!
How to use a VPN with Roku via PC
Another option to add a VPN to Roku is by sharing the secure connection through your computer. The process is obviously different for Windows and Mac. Here’s how to do it in each case.
How to use a VPN on Windows
- Download a robust VPN, like NordVPN, and install the software on your PC
- Click on the Windows logo to open the menu and go to Settings > Network and Internet > Mobile hotspot
- Click on your Wi-Fi network and enable the Mobile hotspot
- Then return to the Network and Internet settings and select Change adapter options
- Find [VPN provider name] Windows Adapter and select its Properties
- Go to the Sharing tab and tick Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- Your new hotspot will appear in the drop-down menu now in the drop-down menu. Choose the adapter, click OK, and just connect Roku to the new network.
How to use a VPN on Mac
- Install your chosen VPN software on the PC. NordVPN is compatible with Mac.
- Click on the Apple logo and go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing
- Choose the VPN from the drop-down menu and check the Wi-Fi box under To computers using:
- Open the Wi-Fi options and create a new network password
- Go back to Internet Sharing, press Enable, and connect to the VPN
- Connect Roku to the new network and that’s it
VPN not working with Roku
If you suddenly can’t access geo-blocked platforms, it’s very likely the VPN has run into some technical problems. Thankfully, there’s nothing that some troubleshooting can’t fix.
- Check for IP and DNS leaks. Your actual location might be leaking if the security features were accidentally disabled. Try the different available protocols on the Roku VPN app, and remember to reboot the streaming device itself.
- Try another server. Maybe you’re connected to a country that doesn’t work with the particular service you want to access.
- Update the VPN. Outdated software might not be able to circumvent the restrictions or properly hide your IP address, so remember to always keep the VPN up to date.
- Get new TAP drivers. If you’ve been trying out different Roku VPN services, chances are the router’s TAP drivers were corrupted in the process. The only way to fix this is to delete them and install new ones.
- Contact support. Either the VPN can’t unblock certain streaming platforms, or there’s a glitch in the system. Reach out to customer support for further answers.
Did everything you can, but using a VPN on Roku still doesn’t give any tangible results? Switch your provider to a service that runs without a hitch. NordVPN, for example, unblocks all popular streaming platforms, offers wide device compatibility, and ensures crisp 4K quality videos.
What can you do with a VPN on Roku
You need to install a VPN on Roku if you want to open the doors to as many entertainment venues as possible. This streaming device limits what kind of apps and content you see depending on your location, so you might be barred from accessing what you actually want to watch.
Internet Service Providers (ISPs) throttling speeds is another common problem. If you’re constantly using up too much bandwidth, your provider can quickly put a stop to this by imposing stricter speed limits, causing constant buffering.
Can’t forget about security either – Roku devices are no strangers to hackings attempts. Ambitious bad actors can get into the system in no time, stealing your payment info, browsing history, and other sensitive data.
The only way to combat these problems is with the best Roku TV VPNs. Every streaming library becomes instantly available when you can connect to a country that offers them in a few clicks. And the ISP and hackers can’t target what they can’t see if all activity is masked with an unbreakable cipher.
Free VPN for Roku
Is using a free VPN for Roku a viable option? No, because a majority of them don’t even support router configuration. This is a feature that can be found with premium providers only. Even if a free service does offer this, you have to be extra careful about it. Some of the most common issues with many free providers are:
- The inability to circumvent geo-blocks – you’ll be astonished how many free VPNs don’t even include the right tools to hide your IP address properly, so being able to access restricted content is out of the question
- Hidden surprises in the VPN client – these providers tend to end up being the villains with all the malware and intrusive ads peppered into their apps
- Regular privacy invasions – the only way they manage to stay afloat is by collecting data about you, and who knows what kind of shady third parties end up getting it
- Draconian data caps – the videos, if the VPN can unblock a service, take so long to buffer that paint manages to dry faster
- No router compatibility – despite advertising otherwise, some providers don’t even have manual router configuration
Here’s a little free Roku VPN hack – do a background check on both the provider and its Terms of Service. If you don’t know where to start, you can also read up on the best free VPNs and branch out from there.
Roku has become widely popular, thanks to the convenience and variety of content packed into one neat streaming box. The ability to dive into other services through this device certainly adds to the general appeal.
If you are all for trying everything there is on Roku, VPNs are your answer. With services like NordVPN, you’ll bypass any geo-blocks stopping you from enjoying shows and movies from around the globe. What’s more, you’ll be doing it securely, leaving all potential snoopers blind to what you do online.
Does using a VPN on Roku better your streaming experience? Let us know in the comments below!
Can you put a VPN on Roku?
Yes, you can set up a VPN on Roku. But since this streaming device doesn’t support this software natively, you will have to do it by installing a VPN on your router. Remember to pick providers that offer router support, like NordVPN.
Is it legal to use a VPN on Roku?
Yes, using a VPN with Roku TV is legal unless one, the other, or both are banned in your country. Utilizing VPNs also goes against the Terms of Service of some streaming platforms, and your IP might get banned if you get sussed out. But there’s nothing switching to another server can’t fix.
Can you install NordVPN on Roku?
You can use NordVPN on Roku TV, but you can’t install the VPN directly on the device. The only way you can make it work is by setting up NordVPN on your router and connecting Roku to the newly secured network.
Is there a free VPN for Roku?
We don’t recommend using free VPNs for Roku because most aren’t router compatible. Furthermore, they come from shady providers and are riddled with annoying restrictions that are counterproductive.
Nadin has been tinkering with computers and gadgets for as long as she can remember. She has extensive knowledge about various topics, including IoT, Linux, digital security, and more. Nowadays, she works as an IT network professional and writes helpful guides in her free time.