Disclaimer: Affiliate links help us produce good content. Learn more.
Roku entered the market back in 2008 offering the first player to stream Netflix to the TV. Over the years, the company released various products, becoming an excellent tool for all streaming lovers. This is especially the case when Roku used with a reliable, easy to set up VPN provider.
Using a VPN with Roku opens a world of content, normally blocked due to geo-restrictions.
One of the main issues for users is that there’s no way to install a VPN directly onto Roku. So for this list, we only went with tools that have easy workarounds for this problem. At the end, we’ll also be sharing the instructions on two different ways to set up a VPN on Roku. But before that, let’s introduce you to the easiest VPNs to set up on Roku.
No time to read? Here are our best VPNs:
|#||PROVIDER||CATEGORY SCORECATEGORY SCORE|
All-around leading VPN
Forward-thinking and affordable VPN
24/7 live chat, Email
- Can be set up manually on most router types
- SmartPlay feature to enjoy the best streaming experience
- NordLynx protocol ensures the best speeds
- No router app
NordVPN is our top choice when it comes to the easiest VPNs to set up on Roku.
Considered the most secure VPN, it will make sure you’re safe and sound while using Roku to stream any type of content. It’s leak-free, with a strict no-log policy and top-notch security features.
While putting privacy and anonymity upfront should take its toll on your connection, NordVPN still manages to offer great speeds across its huge worldwide network. Therefore, you will have no problem streaming your chosen content – even in 4K.
NordVPN has a 24/7 live chat and is great for Netflix and other streaming platforms. And now comes the best part – this #1-ranked service has some great pricing plans, all of which come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check its latest deals on the NordVPN website!
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Smart DNS for the best streaming experience
- User-friendly prices
- Weak self-help support section
Being a relative newcomer in the market doesn’t stop Surfshark from becoming one of the best VPNs for Roku.
Surfshark VPN has some of the best speeds and unblocking capabilities on the market. Despite having a less impressive server count than some of the competitors are offering, Surfshark can hang in there with the greats of the industry.
Additionally, it’s the cheapest top VPN on the market and comes with unlimited connections per subscription. That is a great feature if you want to use one account on more people or more devices.
On Surfshark website you can find seasonal deals and discounts for this awesome Roku VPN.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
24/7 live chat
- Supports many router brands
- Powerful unblocker and anti-censorship tool
- Decent price
- No anonymous payments
VyprVPN should be on any best VPN for Roku list. This is a very safe and privacy-friendly service, boasting an audited no-log policy, IP protection, and servers spread across all continents save for Antarctica.
We love VyprVPN for its clean and intuitive interface. However, its most important benefit for Roku users is the ability to unblock most of the popular streaming platforms. Therefore you should have no trouble binge-watching your favorite content on Netflix, Hulu, and other favorites.
Their quick-to-respond 24/7 live chat is friendly and informative, so don’t hesitate to reach out if you’re having any trouble. VyprVPN even has a router app, which makes things more convenient for Roku users.
Interested? Check the VyprVPN pricing plans to see if there are any that suit your needs.
For a deeper investigation of VyprVPN, read our VyprVPN review.
Why do you need a VPN for Roku
A VPN is a must if you want to enjoy all that Roku has to offer.
First of all, it allows you to watch geo-blocked content. As you probably know by now, streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu or BBC Player offer different content in different countries.
Therefore, if you’re in the US, and want to watch something that is, for instance, on the Canadian or Australian Netflix (and vice versa), you need to use a virtual private network. It will hide your true IP address, and allow you to safely watch your chosen content any time you want to.
What is more, a VPN is an excellent tool against speed throttling. If you think that your ISP is limiting your connection speeds for certain activities, a VPN may be able to help.
What to look for in a VPN for Roku
Let’s keep things simple: when deciding what VPN works on Roku, remember that it has to be fast, secure, affordable, and compatible with Roku boxes and devices. Let’s review each feature separately.
Look for a VPN with a large number of servers. The more servers there are, the more likely you are to find a quick VPN provider.
However, this isn’t always the case. Some VPNs report extensive server coverage but offer disappointing speeds. So check speed comparisons and reviews before downloading anything.
2. Ability to beat geo-blocking
Generally speaking, VPNs with large server/country numbers are a better bet for users who want to maximize the content available on Netflix or other platforms.
However, relatively few VPNs unblock all or most of the main streaming platforms. Therefore, double-check with your provider that it guarantees access before signing up, or use free trials.
3. Excellent IP leakage protection
If your VPN is leaking your IP address, first of all, it’s not safe. Secondly, it will be far less effective at accessing blocked streaming platforms. And again, VPNs vary when it comes to IP leaks.
One way to test this is by trying a VPN free trial. At this stage, you should be able to check whether your IP address has been securely re-routed with this IP checker.
If the IP checker doesn’t show that your location has changed, move onto a different VPN. Reputable providers will ensure that even their free versions block leaks.
4. Security and privacy
If you intend to use non-mainstream content sources, you must choose a VPN with military-grade encryption.
The best Roku VPN contenders will offer 256-bit AES encryption and secure tunneling protocols like OpenVPN or IKEv2 (the latter is great for Android-based Roku devices). And go for providers that offer a kill switch. These tools cut out your stream if the VPN fails.
5. Pick a Roku-friendly VPN
Sadly, Roku devices don’t come with native VPN capabilities, so it’s important to pick one that’s easy to install. There are two main ways to use a VPN with Roku – you either have to share your connection from Windows/Mac or set the VPN up on your Router.
6. Balance price and performance
When deciding on the price, consider whether you want a dedicated Roku VPN or one suited for many different things. VPNs are great if you’re going to use torrents, stream geo-blocked content, access censored websites, and more.
Whatever you do, we urge you not to sacrifice security. A reliable Roku VPN should be as secure as it is fast.
How to set up a VPN on Roku
In general, there are two ways to set up a VPN on Roku – via a router, or via macOS or Windows.
Share the VPN connection from your router
First of all, you would need to set up a VPN on a router. To find instructions on how to do that, head to your VPN provider’s Support page.
Use the Ethernet cable
If your Roku device has an Ethernet port, these are the steps you would follow to share the VPN connection:
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the internet port on your router
- Connect the other end to your Roku player
- Turn on your Roku player
- Connect your Roku player to your TV using an HDMI cable
- Select the right HDMI port
- Go to the Roku Home Screen by clicking Home on your Roku remote
- Go to Settings->Network->Wired
- Follow the instructions on your screen to finish
If your Roku device doesn’t have an Ethernet port or you don’t have a cable, these are the steps you would follow:
- Connect your Roku to your router by going to the main menu and clicking Settings->Network->Wireless (Wi-Fi)
- Many networks will appear, and you will need to choose your network
- Select the router that you have just set up
- Enter the password for your router and click on the Connect button
Your VPN for Roku is now connected, and you can enjoy the content.
Share the VPN connection from your Windows or Mac computer
Sharing the VPN connection is different for Windows and Mac. Here’s how you would do that in each case.
- Type cmd in your Windows Search bar
- Click on Command prompt
- Choose to Run as administrator
- Type: NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=nameityourself key=password (note that: SSID is your network’s name. Name it as you wish. Key is your password that has to be no less than 8 digits long)
- Type: NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork
- Your Hosted Network has been created and activated
- Click Ctrl + R
- Launch ncpa.cpl
- Now you can see the “Local Area Connection X” that is your Microsoft Hosted Virtual Adapter. Remember its name – you’ll need it later
- Right-click the adapter that has your VPN’s name on it
- Go to Properties->Sharing
- Tick Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- You’re now in the drop-down menu. Choose the adapter from Step 9
- Click OK
And you’re done – you are now able to share your VPN connection to your Roku.
- Click on the Apple logo
- Go to System Preferences->Network
- On the bottom left corner, click +
- You’ll now have to fill in the following sections:
- For Interface choose VPN
- For VPN type choose IKEv2
- For Service name, type in your chosen network name
- Fill in the VPN server address (look for it online)
- Click on Authentication Settings->Username and Password of your VPN account
- Click OK->Advanced->Send all traffic over VPN connection->OK->Apply and Connect
- Clicking on the Apple logo and head to System Preferences->Sharing->Internet sharing->Wi-Fi
- Type in your chosen Network name
- For Channel, leave [default]
- For Security choose WPA2 Personal
- Type in your password and verify it
- Click OK
If you are all for trying everything there is on Roku, a VPN is your answer.
With it, you’ll bypass any geo-blocks stopping you from enjoying the content from around the globe. Moreover, in some cases, you’ll even increase your connection speed by overcoming the throttling.
The secret is choosing a VPN that is easy to set up on Roku. And we swear by all listed above!
Julie is a firm believer in equal rights for everyone. She is a traveler and blogger, focusing her efforts on exposing censorship and discrimination around the world. She wants to hold corrupt governments and shady companies accountable by writing investigative articles and helpful guides.