As someone living in the US, you are under constant surveillance from tech companies, your ISP, and government agencies like the NSA. That’s why using a VPN is one of the best decisions you can make for your privacy.
Spoofing your IP address and encrypting your data will hide your online activities from prying eyes.
Yet that’s not all a VPN is good for. For example, if you’re going on a trip and don’t want to miss your HBO show, a proper VPN will ensure you don’t get stopped by geo-restrictions. It will also allow you to use torrents anonymously, beat censorship, and more.
To help you choose the best VPN for the USA, we’ve gone ahead and listed our favorite ones.
No time to read? Here are our best VPNs:
- Strict no-logs policy
- Powerful security features, including kill switch
- Great for streaming, torrenting, and gaming
- No router app
NordVPN is based in privacy-friendly Panama and has the best security features on the market. This includes military-grade encryption, a powerful kill switch, Onion over VPN, and more.
If you’re looking for a provider that will ensure a smooth streaming experience, look no further. With its SmartPlay feature, you’ll be able to securely access the content that otherwise wouldn’t be available to you.
Additionally, this VPN has 5400+ servers in 59+ countries, as well as excellent speeds. Hence, choosing NordVPN will ensure you can both access your chosen content and enjoy it in full HD or even 4K.
Luckily, NordVPN is not only powerful and secure, but it is also highly affordable. What is more, because of the 30-day money-back guarantee you’ll have plenty of time to make your final decision.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN
- Camouflage Mode (traffic obfuscation)
- Split tunneling (Whitelister)
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Weak self-help support section
Surfshark VPN’s privacy-friendly home in the British Virgin Islands, its low price, and a stellar list of features make it an excellent choice for US users.
One of the key selling points of Surfshark is the Whitelister split tunneling feature, which helps you organize your bandwidth. With it, you’ll be able to choose which websites and apps you want to connect through the VPN to secure your most sensitive data, and which ones you prefer to run without the VPN.
Furthermore, this provider is certainly among the fastest VPNs on the market, which means that if you choose to get Surfshark, you’ll be able to use it for torrenting, streaming, or anything else you can think of.
If you need a cherry on top, how about its unlimited simultaneous connections? This feature will be extra handy if you have plenty of devices you want to connect to the VPN.
All these great features can be yours, and the best part is that the price is highly affordable.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
- Chameleon 2.0 protocol great against censorship
- Excellent speeds
- Works nicely for streaming and torrenting
- No anonymous payment
VyprVPN is a security and privacy first VPN. It has great features and an independently-audited no-logging policy. These factors make it one of the best VPNs for US users.
Although VyprVPN originates with a US company, the VPN is operated out of the privacy haven of Switzerland. This puts it outside the 5/9/14 Eyes surveillance alliance and thus outside the NSA’s reach.
Due to its good speeds, VyprVPN is great for streaming or secure torrenting. And it also works fairly consistently in anti-VPN countries like China – handy if you’re going on a business trip or holiday.
If your primary goal is to stay anonymous online, this is a great tool to achieve that. To get it now, check what deals VyprVPN has to offer.
For a deeper investigation of VyprVPN, read our VyprVPN review.
- Excellent security features
- Stealth VPN mode
- Unblocks major streaming platforms
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
If you’re looking for an affordable VPN provider that doesn’t compromise on security, PrivateVPN is a good bet.
Interestingly, PrivateVPN has 150+ servers in 60+ countries, which is not a lot compared to the providers mentioned above. However, in spite of that, PrivateVPN has great speeds that are more than enough for both streaming and torrenting.
One of the most impressive features of PrivateVPN is its Stealth VPN mode. With it, you’ll be able to bypass VPN blocking in countries with strict censorship. Therefore, if you’re ever traveling to countries like Russia, getting PrivateVPN is a solid plan.
Overall, PrivateVPN is a reliable provider that is great for US users regardless of what you intend to do with it.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
5. Private Internet Access
- Ability to choose encryption strength
- Some of the best speeds in the US and Europe
- Free SOCKS5 proxy
- Based in the US
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a top choice if you want a VPN for P2P. Torrenting is allowed on all servers and the free SOCKS5 proxy makes it easy to secure just your torrent app.
That’s not all PIA is good for – this long-standing VPN provider has a proven no-logs policy and strong security features. Strong encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection will keep you well out of harm’s way.
When it comes to downsides, PIA operates from inside the US. Some users may worry about the implications of data going through the servers of a US company. However, PIA’s stellar track record should keep any worries at bay.
If this sounds like a good choice for you, check PIA deals out on their website – the VPN’s low prices are the real kicker.
For a deeper investigation of Private Internet Access, read our Private Internet Access review.
- Top-notch security features
- Owns its servers
- Great speeds
- No anonymous payment options
IPVanish is a great option for someone living in the US. First of all, the product has excellent security features and, unlike the majority of providers out there, IPVanish owns their whole server network.
Subscribing for IPVanish will enable you to access their 1500+ servers in 75+ countries. This way, you’ll be able to both torrent and stream with great speeds and no interruptions.
What we don’t appreciate, though, is its short money-back guarantee. You’ll only have 7 days to test the product out – less than other top providers offer.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
Why do I need to use a VPN in the US?
If you want to keep your anonymity while browsing, you need to use a VPN in the US.
By using a VPN, it would seem that you’re connecting to the internet from your chosen part of the world, instead of the US. As the country is famous for the lack of respect for your privacy online, why wouldn’t you make it think you’re somewhere else?
Moreover, using a VPN will help you access the geo-blocked content on your favorite streaming platforms. You may want to access a particular documentary that is only available in the UK, Japan, or somewhere else. In such a case, a reliable VPN is essential.
How to choose the best VPN for the US
When choosing the best VPN for the US, here are some things you should consider:
- Privacy features. When choosing a VPN security should be your top priority. Make sure, your chosen provider offers military-grade encryption, kill switch, and some additional security features, such as NoBorders Mode, or Stealth Mode)
- Speed. A VPN can be the most secure one in the world, but if it is slow, it’s not an option for many. Therefore, look for a product capable of fast speeds. If it allows you to stream in full HD or 4K, you’ve found a good one.
- Features and Services. Consider the extra features you may need by asking yourself the following questions. Do you own many devices, and unlimited simultaneous connections would save your life? Is the Smart DNS feature something you need? Is the ease of use more important than nice-to-have additional features?
- Ability to unblock streaming platforms. One of the most common reasons to get a VPN, is the ability to access streaming platforms. Before purchasing the product, do some research and make sure whether it will allow you to access your favorite British detective on BBC Player, or binge-watch some Australian reality shows.
- Location. A rule of thumb is avoiding VPNs that are based in the US – that way you’ll enhance your chances of staying private. However, there are exceptions to that rule, and we have included a couple of great VPNs that are based in the US.
- Price. Last, but not the least – consider how much you are willing to pay for the service. As much as you may be tempted to save some dollars, don’t sacrifice your security – paying a little extra will pay-off in the long run.
Is using a VPN legal in USA?
The short answer is – YES.
What you have to keep in mind, though, that any activities that are illegal without using a VPN are still illegal when using one. One of the most relevant examples is torrenting copyrighted content.
Are free VPNs for US any good?
When it comes to free VPNs, it is really rare to find high-quality ones on the market. Of course, there are some, but more often than not you’re still paying, and that price is your security.
Hence, we always recommend investing in a reliable paid service – that way you’ll be sure that your online actives are private and safe. All of the VPNs mentioned above will do an excellent job of keeping you anonymous and secure online.
If you are not willing to spend money, we have compiled a list of Best Free VPN for USA – check it out.