Amazon’s Fire Stick (also known as the Firestick or, officially, the Amazon Fire TV Stick) is steadily gaining popularity. It helps people to turn their standard TV into a smart TV so that they can enjoy more content.
Since it’s based on Android OS, users can download the same apps that are available on the Google Play store: Netflix, Kodi, Plex, Crunchyroll, Spotify, and much more, although it requres a little workaround. You can also get live paid channels such as ESPN, HBO and Showtime.
This is great for cord-cutters who are eager to get the same channels they get on cable, but don’t want to pay those exorbitant prices. It is also particularly useful if you enjoy free content, using services like Kodi to stream movies, TV shows, and more for free.
How to use your Fire Stick safely
If you’re eager to use the Fire Stick to stream movies or TV shows for free, you’ll probably want some extra layers of privacy and security. After all, depending on your location, this could be an activity that’s either frowned upon or explicitly illegal.
If you want that extra layer of protection, we highly recommend you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) that will allow you to anonymize all your info. Since VPNs work by first encrypting your traffic then rerouting it through a VPN server in a location of your choice, you’ll avoid getting snooped on by prying eyes. Even better, it can help you access geo-blocked content, such as the Holy Grail known as US Netflix.
That’s why today, we’re going to show you how to install ExpressVPN on your Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV.
How to install the ExpressVPN Fire Stick app
There is no special ExpressVPN app for Fire Stick – although you definitely don’t need it, since the Fire Stick runs on Android. ExpressVPN has a very capable app for Android, so this allows you to get ExpressVPN on your Fire Stick or Fire TV.
Getting to the Google Play store on Fire Stick requires a little workaround since it’s not directly available. We’ll be using Aptoide TV to get around that problem. But don’t worry, we’ll explain the clear steps you need to take to get ExpressVPN on Fire Stick.
Please note: before you get started on this guide, it’s important that you sign up for an ExpressVPN plan first. We have to warn that it’s not the cheapest VPN service on the planet, with prices starting at a $6.67/month.
- First, you’ll need to enable apps from unknown sources. In order to do that, go to the Settings page on your Fire Stick, click on Device, then turn on the Apps from Unknown Sources toggle.
- Next you’ll need to download an app called Downloader. This will allow you to download the necessary files to install the ExpressVPN app for Fire Stick. Simply search for the program on the Amazon app store, download and install it.
- Use the Downloader app to find and install Aptoide TV, which will allow you to install the ExpressVPN app. Type in the following in Downloader: “https://m.aptoide.com/installer-aptoide-tv” and install the Aptoide TV app.
- Launch Aptoide TV. Click on the search icon and search for “expressvpn.” Click Install, accept permissions, and in a few minutes, you’ll have ExpressVPN installed on your Fire Stick.
- Now all you need to do is sign in to the ExpressVPN Firestick app to activate it. Launch the ExpressVPN app and click on Sign In. Enter your email address and password associated with your EXpressVPN account. Then click Sign In again.
- The app may ask if you’d like to share some anonymous information with ExpressVPN, and you can either press OK or No Thanks.
- On the next screen, click OK to accept ExpressVPN connection requests. After that, you are free to use the app as you’d like. Connect to a server in a location of your choice (such as in the US for Netflix) and enjoy your content!
And that’s pretty much it for the ExpressVPN Fire Stick and Fire TV installation process. Now you can enjoy not just unblocked content from anywhere on the planet, but also industry-leading privacy and security.