If you’re reading this, you’ve probably already discovered the amazing range of streaming content available on Kodi. This magic streaming app offers a galaxy of content, from live sport to the latest TV shows. But there’s one thing the basic Kodi app doesn’t do well: security.
Anyone who is worried about privacy when using Kodi needs to couple their streaming box or app with a reliable Virtual Private Network. When you ask experts about Kodi VPNs, IPVanish is often one of the first they mention. But are they right? Let’s find out.
Checking out the IPVanish Kodi policy
Not all VPNs are optimized for Kodi, and some that are don’t like to advertise that their networks are Kodi-friendly. But what is the situation as far as IPVanish is concerned?
In fact, IPVanish is probably one of the most Kodi-friendly VPNs available (at least if their marketing material is anything to go by).
The IPVanish website dubs themselves as “the best VPN for Kodi”, and promises to enable Kodi add-ons to “shine.”
What does IPVanish mean by that? According to its site, the VPN will circumvent geo-restrictions imposed by streaming companies like Netflix, provide foolproof identity protection to prevent copyright holders discovering your identity, and secure your Kodi box in general, making it immune to hackers.
What features make an IPVanish Kodi combination attractive?
That’s not all. IPVanish brings a number of features to the table that will appeal to Kodi users. For instance, with IPVanish users can enjoy:
- A wide server network. IPVanish manages over 1400 servers dotted across the world, with nodes in more than 50 countries. With that kind of spread, you should find a quick server and be able to beat geo-blocking, wherever you are.
- Unlimited bandwidth. Kodi is definitely a bandwidth-heavy technology, essentially streaming live content constantly via your wi-fi connection. Many VPNs prefer to restrict the amount of data users consume, but that’s not the case with IPVanish.
- High-quality encryption. IPVanish uses 256-bit AES encryption, which is widely reckoned to be the gold standard among consumer VPNs.
- Zero logs. When you are using Kodi, anonymity and privacy are crucial, and IPVanish seems to be pretty strong in this regard. Their “zero logs” policy should enable you to stream whatever you like without worrying about official surveillance or copyright lawsuits.
- SOCKS5 is included. With IPVanish, you can choose to employ the high-grade security offered by their VPN, or route your Kodi traffic through a SOCKS5 proxy. This provides slightly less watertight anonymity but generally delivers faster speeds which be a lifesaver in some streaming situations.
- A choice of protocols. IPVanish offers a wide choice of tunneling protocols in OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, and PPTP.
- 10 simultaneous connections. When you use Kodi, there’s a good chance you’ll also need VPN coverage for your computers and other digital devices like smartphones. IPVanish enables users to connect up to 10 devices at the same time, allowing you to create family security setups with ease.
- 30-day money-back guarantee. VPNs are just like clothes. Sometimes, they aren’t a great fit for an individual’s style and needs. With IPVanish, you can try the VPN for 30 days before claiming a full refund. So if it doesn’t deliver lightning-fast Kodi speeds, don’t worry. Just try another VPN from the same quality tier.
Have there been any criticisms of IPVanish Kodi users need to know?
No VPN is perfect. That’s probably the first rule of VPN usage. But IPVanish is usually bracketed among the very best providers. Even so, there have been critics, and if you are making a truly informed decision, it’s worth getting to know what these critics have written.
For starters, some reviewers have found that IPVanish isn’t quite as slick when unblocking Netflix as the marketing department would have you believe. It’s not a total disaster here, but some IPVanish servers seem to struggle when dealing with Netflix’s increasingly sophisticated countermeasures.
The same critics also report that IPVanish customer service isn’t as responsive as it should be when problems like this are flagged up – not a great sign for Kodi users.
However, don’t assume that the online response has been all negative. Mostly, expert reviewers praise IPVanish as one of the best of the crowd, and the VPN’s Kodi performance is one of its strongest suites. So let’s move on and discuss how to install IPVanish on Kodi.
How to install IPVanish on Kodi: a quick guide
When sourcing a VPN, most users will want a product that’s as simple as possible. Even though digital privacy is a complex business, the best VPNs make it simple to fire up their networks with services like Kodi. And that’s basically what you get with IPVanish.
So let’s run through the guide explaining to Windows users how to install IPVanish on Kodi:
1. Load up the IPVanish client and connect to a convenient, fast network.
2. Double-check that the VPN has engaged its privacy features by referring to the IP address window. It should list your location as that of the server you used to connect.
3. If the anonymity checks out, simply load up Kodi on your Windows device and you should enjoy total protection. It’s that simple.
However, that’s not all you can do with IPVanish on Windows. Users can also switch to a Socks5 proxy pretty easily. Here’s how:
1. If you’d like to engage the Socks5 proxy to boost your Kodi speeds, head to the control panel on the IPVanish client.
2. Choose the “Socks5 proxy” tab. Now you’ll have to enter a new set of credentials to log onto the proxy. These have to be different from your standard IPVanish login.
3. In Kodi, head to the “Settings” menu then choose “System”.
4. Scroll down to “Internet Access”. Set the proxy type to “Socks5”, then set the proxy address as “ams.socks.ipvanish.com” and set the port as 1080.
5. You’ll also have to enter the IPVanish Socks5 credentials you entered earlier.
6. When that’s done, reconnect to Kodi and your speeds should increase.
The process is similar for Mac, iOS, and Android users, so inexperienced users don’t need to worry about how to install IPVanish on Kodi. It’s not beyond anyone’s reach.
Is an IPVanish Kodi combo a good idea for Kodi users?
To put it simply, yes. IPVanish is setup for Kodi users and delivers pretty much everything they could desire. It’s fast, simple, but full of features that enhance online streaming. But remember: if for whatever reason it fails to unblock the services you need, there’s a 30-day guarantee. No VPN is flawless, so always be ready to move elsewhere.