From Netflix to Crunchyroll, the Amazon Firestick has a lot of great apps for streaming TV, movies, and more. However, nothing quite compares to the likes of apps like Kodi and Plex which allow you to stream almost anything you want on your TV. In particular, one of the most enticing things about these apps is that they allow you to watch the latest shows and films or stream live cable channels for free. If you’re an avid binge-watcher or a fan of paid channels like ESPN, these Firestick apps can be a godsend.
Of course, everything has a price. In the case of watching free films and TV on your Firestick, the price is the possibility of prosecution. When you watch this content, you infringe on the copyrights of the owners. So, if you get caught using illicit add-ons on your Firestick, you could get in a lot of trouble.
How can you use your Firestick safely?
Thankfully, there’s a very easy way to avoid ever getting caught by your internet provider or the authorities: use a VPN. Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN connects you to the internet through a remote server anywhere else in the world and encrypts all your traffic. If you use your Firestick with a VPN enabled, everything you do will be completely hidden from your ISP and anyone else trying to spy on you.
What’s the best VPN?
There are numerous different VPNs available on today’s market for a variety of platforms, each with its own pros and cons. In the case of the Firestick, one of our favorite VPN providers is the highly-popular NordVPN. NordVPN puts your privacy and security first at all times. For starters, this provider offers military-grade encryption. They also operate a zero-logging policy, so they’ll never track or store sensitive data the authorities could use against you.
On top of that, NordVPN servers offer incredibly high speeds. This is crucial when you’re streaming video content on your Firestick if you want to watch content without buffering and lag. Overall, NordVPN on Firestick is a great way for any Firestick user looking to protect themselves without compromising on performance.
How to Install NordVPN on Firestick
Unfortunately, while some VPNs do have a special app for the Amazon Firestick, NordVPN doesn’t. Thankfully, NordVPN does have a great add-on for Android. And, since the Fire operating system is built on the Android OS, NordVPN for Android is completely compatible with the Amazon Firestick.
Using NordVPN on Firestick is as easy as pie. However, since you can’t use the Google Play Store on your Amazon Firestick, the process of installing the app can be a little tricky if you don’t have any experience. To help you get started with your VPN quickly and smoothly, we’ve condensed the process of how to install NordVPN on Firestick into 5 simple steps that anyone can follow.
NOTE: Before you follow the guide below, remember to sign up for NordVPN. Pricing starts at just $3.49 a month, and you also get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Enable Apps from Unknown Sources: if you’ve only ever installed apps from the official Amazon store before, you’ll need to change your settings so you can add apps you’ve downloaded from elsewhere on the internet. Just head to the Settings page, select the Device category, then click on Apps from Unknown Sources. This setting should switch from OFF to ON, giving you the ability to download and install NordVPN on Fire TV directly.
- Get the Firefox Downloader: once you’ve changed your settings, the next thing you need is a way of downloading the NordVPN app onto your Firestick. One of the best ways to get the NordVPN installation file is to use the add-on aptly-named “Downloader.” Search for it on the official Amazon app store, then download and install it. After it’s set up, you can move on to step 3.
- Install the NordVPN App: to install NordVPN on Firestick via the Downloader app, you’ll need to enter the download link. Instead of typing in the direct file link (which has a very long URL), just head to nordvpn.com/download/android in Downloader. Once the page loads, select Download .apk. It may take a few minutes to finish downloading depending on your connection speed. Once it does, you’ll get a prompt asking you if you want to install the NordVPN app. Select Yes and follow the rest of the simple installation screens.
NOTE: Remember to always download the NordVPN Firestick installation file from the official website. If you install NordVPN on Firestick via a third-party version of the .apk, it may be filled with viruses or scam software.
- Open NordVPN: since NordVPN isn’t an official Firestick app, you can’t open it in the usual way. Instead, you’ll need to go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage installed applications. Find NordVPN on the list and click Launch application to get it up and running.
- Log-in to NordVPN: once you’ve got your NordVPN Firestick app open, the final step is to log in. Your account details will be the same as the ones you signed up with on your phone or computer. Remember, you can connect your NordVPN account to 6 devices at once, so there’s no need to worry about logging out on your other devices.
NOTE: If you’re having trouble controlling the app with your Firestick remote, you may want to download a Fire TV remote control app to your phone. Since the NordVPN app was designed to be used on a touchscreen, using a touchscreen remote app can be very helpful.
And that’s it—these 5 simple steps are all you need to install NordVPN on Fire TV or Firestick. After you log-in, you can choose from hundreds and hundreds of servers across every corner of the globe and get instant privacy. With NordVPN, you’ll finally be able to enjoy what the Firestick is best for: watching your favorite entertainment without stress, worry, or hassle.