Most VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) allow torrenting, and from those VPNs currently ranked as the best, only VyprVPN warns about copyright infringement. But that doesn’t mean they are all the same when it comes to doing the work.
Some offer excellent security but slow speeds, while others give you great speeds but leak your IP address. That’s why we’re writing this article to see if choosing Surfshark VPN for torrenting is a good idea.
Does Surfshark allow torrenting in 2020?
The answer is a clear-cut “yes.” The vast majority of Surfshark’s 1700+ servers in 60+ countries are suitable for P2P traffic.
Also, there are no bandwidth limits, both MB-wise and Mbps-wise. The only thing you have to make sure of is if your ISP (internet service provider) doesn’t block or throttle P2P traffic.
Surfshark is located in the British Virgin Islands, which means no data retention laws. While many VPN providers boast “zero-log” policies, the lack of retention laws allows Surfshark to actually store “zero-logs.” The only information they collect is your email address, encrypted password (for logging into your account), and billing information. The latter can be crossed-out if you choose one of the anonymous payment options.
Finally, Surfshark VPN has a clean reputation and intends to keep it that way, calling upon themselves an independent audit in 2018.
Having said that, we find no reason why Surfshark VPN should block torrenting anytime soon. Therefore you should feel safe when selecting a one-year or even longer pricing plan, starting from $1.94/month.
Reasons to choose Surfshark for torrenting
There are quite a few of them, and they should help make up your mind.
- Security and privacy. Surfshark VPN uses a fast and unbreakable AES-256-GCM and SHA-512 encryption. It also offers zero-knowledge DNS, IP masking, DNS leak, WebRTC leak, and IPv6 leak protection. Lastly, Windows and Apple clients have a built-in kill switch.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections. While this feature is awesome in itself, it also shows that Surfshark doesn’t log your activity – otherwise it would be impossible to track how many devices are connected to each account.
- Very good speeds. Our tests have shown that Surfshark manages to retain a good percentage of your original speed. The numbers vary across different locations, but the ever-expanding list of 1700+ servers in 60+ countries lets us believe that the situation will only improve.
- Torrenting allowed on most servers. While many providers offer only some P2P-ready servers, Surfshark VPN gives you the vast majority of their 1700+ servers.
- Easy to download and install. Surfshark VPN has apps for all the major platforms, including routers.
- 24/7 live chat. When you plan to download a huge torrent file, go out for a couple of hours and open it up when you’re back home, there’s nothing more frustrating than not being able to do so. In moments like this, Surfshark’s 24/7 live support is a life-saver.
- Anonymous payment options. There are still too few VPN services that allow paying anonymously, e.g., with cryptocurrency. Surfshark does just that!
Reasons not to choose Surfshark for torrenting
There’s not many of them, and one of these two is rather trivial.
- Thin self-help section. This is a common problem among all up-and-coming VPN services. The only way this might become evident is if Surfshark’s live support experiences issues. And by the time it happens, the self-help section will probably have gained enough thickness.
- Linux app has the kill switch turned off by default. While it’s unlikely you’re reading this article from a device with a Linux-based OS, forgetting to turn on a kill switch while torrenting can cause serious trouble. If the VPN connection fails, your IP address will be exposed, and a kill switch prevents this from happening.
How to set up Surfshark VPN with uTorrent or another torrent client
First, you should get Surfshark if you don’t have it already. If you’re not sure you’ll be using it for a longer period, just take a 7-day free trial from Google Store or App Store. And if you’re using a different device, there’s always a 30-day money-back guarantee so at the end of the period you can get a refund if you no longer need it or see that coupling Surfshark and uTorrent doesn’t feel right.
After downloading the Surfshark client, install it in your preferred location. Launch the application and choose Optimal location on the main client’s screen. This will ensure you have the maximum speed and the least loaded server not far away from your physical location. Alternatively, you can select a specific country if you will be loading trackers from a certain location-based database.
Open uTorrent or another torrenting client only after you have successfully connected to a VPN server with Surfshark
Before starting any torrenting activity, make sure Surfshark has a kill switch on. It’s used to prevent your personal data from leaking in case of a connectivity issue. You can find it by pressing the cogwheel on the top right of your Surfshark client. Under General, pick Security and enable Kill switch if it’s not on already. Android 7.0+ users should use the “Always-on VPN” feature.
The last thing to check before starting your torrent download is the IP address. While Surfshark will show your new IP based on the chosen country, it won’t hurt to check if there are no leaks. For that, you can use any online IP location tool, such as iplocation.net.
Conclusion – is Surfshark VPN good for torrenting?
This time the answer is also simple – yes, it is.
Surfshark VPN has no serious disadvantages and plenty of reasons to choose it for torrenting. This provider offers top-notch security, great speeds, unlimited simultaneous connections, and all the other things mentioned above.
So, what about the Surfshark price? Here we’re evaluating not the full package, but instead how much a VPN asks from a person who only wants to torrent with a VPN, without caring about bypassing Netflix geo-blocking or 24/7 live chat support.
That’s why our best VPNs for torrenting are a bit different when compared to the best overall VPN list. When it comes to Surfshark VPN, it has a place in both of these lists because there are only a few competitors that can offer it all for a price similar to Surfshark’s $1.94/month.