If you are looking for a torrent client that is easy to use, flexible and free of any charges for your Mac, then we would definitely recommend taking a look at Frostwire for Mac!
Our experts have used this Mac torrenting client thoroughly, and we have come up with this article that will tell you everything about Frostwire Mac. This is not just a great torrent client for Mac, but also one of the best torrent clients available.
Safety while torrenting
However, we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention one important thing: torrenting is usually frowned upon by most ISPs and authorities. In some countries, it’s even illegal. In order to avoid all the bad stuff that can sometimes come with torrenting, we always recommend using a high-quality Mac VPN to keep yourself and your personal data secure.
To share files anonymously, check out our top 5 VPNs for torrenting:
Luckily, we’ve already gone over the best VPNs for torrenting. We highly recommend you go check that out after reading this article.
Before we go in-depth, let’s take a quick look at the basic features that are available in this torrenting client:
- Built-in search options
- Magnet link support
- File sharing protocol through local wifi or torrent share
- Built-in media player and library
- Download and upload speed limiter
- Download priority
- Flexible download management
- User friendly UI
How to install
Installing Frostwire for Mac is one of the easiest tasks you will ever do. There are many torrent clients for Mac that are really complex to install. Frostwire torrent is definitely not one of those. For any platform including Mac, the download and installation process is easy and simple.
- Go to the official website of Frostwire, frostwire.com
- Choose the platform you are using
- Download the latest version of the application for your platform
- Make sure your computer has the latest version of Java installed
- Start the Frostwire installer and follow the simple instructions to install the program
- Before moving forward, read the conditions before you consent to them
- Choose the drive where you want to install it
- Complete the installation
- You are now ready to use Frostwire for Mac!
See, you won’t find anything simpler than this. Remember, Java is mandatory for Forstwire torrent, and if you already don’t have Java installed, don’t forget to do that before you start the Frostwire setup file.
How to download files
Downloading files with Frostwire is very easy and simple. With some quick and easy steps, anyone can download their desired files with this torrenting client. There are two ways to download files with Frostwire for Mac. You can either download directly with the built-in search feature, or download the torrent from other websites and then open it with Frostwire torrent to get the full file. We are running you through the first option here.
First, you have to open the PP application and then click on the search tab. This is as basic as searching your queries on search engines like Google or Bing. Then simply enter the query in the search field and press enter.
You’ll see a list of results based on the search query you have just entered. You choose the one you would like to download. For getting better download speed, don’t forget to check the number of seeds you are going to get while downloading. Files having more number of seeds will download faster than the ones having fewer seeds.
Then simply click on the little + button you see next to the name of the entry. This is going to open a new window for you to select the files you have to download, and cancel the ones you don’t want.
And finally, click on the button called “Download Selected Files Only” to start the download process. We have found this quite helpful as it enables you to download multiple files at the same time, without having to worry about downloading unnecessary files. You can control download speed anytime, both before and during the download process.
Then the download will appear a section named “Transfers’, here you can check the progress of your download. You can ensure different configurations for different downloads just by right clicking on the files.
It is also possible to select the folder of your choice to save the downloaded file once completed. Frostwire for Mac has made everything convenient and flexible for their users.
Things we liked
- The setup process is very simple, file size is relatively small as well
- UI is very easy to use and flexible for new users
- No advertisements at all
- Torrent files can be opened both locally and with magnet links
- Easy share of files and folders
- Can import more than one torrents at the same time
- Advanced settings are easily customizable
Things we didn’t like
- The search tool is unable to add other custom websites to download torrent
- Might want to install undesired programs or applications during the setup process
- P2P applications are more vulnerable to viruses and spyware
Our final verdict
While it is a massive concern that you are becoming more vulnerable to viruses by using a P2P application, this can be mitigated quite easily by using anti-virus and firewall. Moreover, make sure you download file from trusted sources only to avoid complexities.
We found Frostwire for Mac to be very useful for downloading files of your choice. The speed is really impressive. Moreover, the ad-free nature without being a paid application will put Frostwire ahead of many other Mac torrenting applications currently available.
If you are okay with using firewalls and anti-virus software, then Frostwire can be the go-to torrenting option for your Mac. But if you think that is going to affect your Mac using experience, then it is better for you to choose a torrenting client that is not P2P.
Are you a user of Frostwire Mac? If yes, how was your experience using it? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Your opinion is very important to us and can help others to choose their torrent client.