Disclaimer: Affiliate links help us produce good content. Learn more.
One of the most popular VPN (Virtual Private Network) solutions on the market right now is LogMeIn Hamachi. Released in 2004, Hamachi allows users to establish direct links between computers that are behind NAT firewalls without requiring reconfiguration. In other words, it is useful for creating internet-based connections that emulate connections similar to those used over a local area network (or LAN).
LogMeIn Hamachi for business
LogMeIn Hamachi has many practical uses in business settings. It can be useful for building mobile LAN networks which incorporate team members’ laptops and smartphones, or for managing multiple networks for outsourced IT. If your corporate set up is small to medium scale, Hamachi can be effective for setting up a virtual corporate LAN.
LogMeIn Hamachi is a solid choice for businesses and gamers alike. The service is very easy to use and highly secure. Hamachi also prides itself on providing a professional, polished, and personalized experience for their customers.
LogMeIn Hamachi for gaming
For gamers, LogMeIn Hamachi can be used to set up secure gaming servers with certain properties similar to LAN networks. This can help with server security and functionality for games like Minecraft. The service also employs protection against DDoS attacks, which can be important in competitive settings or for celebrity streamers who play online.
One thing to keep in mind about LogMeIn Hamachi is the lack of a kill switch feature. The kill switch terminates your connection in case the VPN stops working, stopping your true IP address from being revealed. Although the feature is less important for users of a business-focused VPN, gamers may find it useful.
Is LogMeIn Hamachi safe?
LogMeIn Hamachi employs AES 256-bit encryption to protect your data. This encryption standard is used in various security-intensive settings, such as finance or the military.
The service provider is the LogMeIn company, created in 2003, which is yet to find itself in any type of scandal.
Overall, this service is very secure, employing centralized access controls and giving clients ample configuration management. They also provide functions for additional authentication and network membership. Hamachi also offers DDoS protection, using encryption to ensure your connection isn’t targeted by illicit attacks.
How to install and use LogMeIn Hamachi
We will explain how to use LogMeIn Hamachi on both macOS and Windows 10. For both systems, you will need to start by creating an account on LogMeIn. Once you have an active account, you will be able to log into the service and add clients.
The installation on macOS for LogMeIn Hamachi is fairly straightforward:
- Navigate to the LogMeIn Central
- Switch to Network Mode
- Click Add Client in the Computers tab under My Networks to display the Add Client page
- From here, click on “Install LogMeIn Hamachi on this computer” and then click Continue
- Click “Install LogMeIn Hamachi” to run the Hamachi launcher, where you can follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation
Once installed, you can run the application to create or connect to virtual networks. For Mac users, this allows for things like sharing iTunes music directly over the internet. Screen sharing and file sharing options are also available.
The installation process is almost identical. The most important thing to remember is that you must be logged in to your LogMeIn account through the LogMeIn Central app to download the installer.
Once logged in, you can follow the instructions above to install the application similarly to how we did with Mac. Simply click Add Client in the Computers tab for LogMeIn, and follow the instructions as we did above to install the client on Windows.
How to uninstall LogMeIn Hamachi
Uninstalling LogMeIn Hamachi is pretty simple. Below are the instructions for both Windows and Mac users.
- In Finder, go to the Applications folder and double-click HamachiUninstaller
- Decide if you want to Remove all settings and Hamachi configurations. We don’t recommend removing them if you have many networks
- Click Yes
- Enter your Mac user password and click OK
- Click on the Start menu and type Control Panel
- Under Programs, choose the link Uninstall a program
- Select LogMeIn Hamachi and click Uninstall
- Choose if you want to Remove all user settings and Hamachi configurations. We recommend leaving this unticked if you have many networks
- Click Uninstall
The instructions for Linux users depend on the exact version of your operating system. You can find the uninstall guide on Hamachi’s official website.
LogMeIn Hamachi troubleshooting
Although the app is designed to be easy to use, some people are less tech-savvy than others, and so may have some trouble with network configurations and other problems. If you’re getting error messages and cannot connect to Hamachi, LogMeIn has a page on their documentation portal for troubleshooting problems. There’s also a couple of tricks you can try to fix your connection:
- Local firewall. Make sure your firewall application is not blocking connections from Hamachi
- Local proxy settings. If you are connected to the internet through a proxy that is not configured for Hamachi connections, it can cause a few common connection errors. Making sure to confirm the settings with your proxy is a good first step in the right direction
Below you will also find the solutions to some other popular LogMeIn Hamachi problems that people run into.
How to set up a LogMeIn Hamachi Minecraft server
To set up a Minecraft server of your own, you’ll need a Hamachi LAN that allows up to four free players to connect to you.
- First, press Network and then Create a new network
- Ask your friends to join you by clicking Network and Join an existing network
- Open a single player Minecraft world
- Press Escape and hit the Open to LAN button
- Pick the options and then open the LAN network
- Give other players the 5-digit port number that appears in the chat
- Your friends should click Multiplayer on the main menu and then Add a server or Direct connect
- They click on your name in Hamachi and then on Copy your IPv4 address
- Finally, your friends will have to paste the IP and the 5-digit port number, separated by a colon (:), into the server address box
LogMeIn Hamachi cannot get adapter config error
If you’re seeing “Failed to connect to the adapter” message, this means that Hamachi’s network adapter has failed. There are a number of reasons causing that, and here are the repair methods for the most common ones:
- Disable your firewall and restart the computer
- Enable the Hamachi Network Interface via Device Manager
- Under Network Connections, check if the adapter is named Hamachi. If not, rename it accordingly
- Click Start, type services.msc, and hit Enter. Make sure the DHCP Client and Network Connections services are running
LogMeIn service stopped error
This is a very common problem that a lot of people are looking for answers to. On Windows 10, this problem can happen if some other essential services aren’t already running on your computer. To fix the problem, you can make sure that “WMI service” is running in your background processes before starting Hamachi.
Another thing to make sure of is that the Hamachi servers are up and running. The servers being down can also cause this error. Although this is relatively rare, it can happen from time to time.
LogMeIn Hamachi tunnel problem (yellow triangle)
Using Hamachi on Windows 10 might cause the so-called “tunnel problem,” when a user sees a yellow triangle. First, make sure that you have the latest version of Hamachi. If updating doesn’t help, try restarting it. Sometimes rebooting your PC might be necessary to make Hamachi work again.
If none of the above did any good, there’s a chance your anti-virus software is causing the problem and should be disabled. Finally, as a last resort, you can try reinstalling Hamachi itself.
Alternatives to LogMeIn Hamachi
There are some good alternatives for LogMeIn Hamachi available on the market, particularly for virtual LAN gaming. Here are the top 10 alternatives to Hamachi:
- Evolve (Player.me)
- Radmin VPN
Disclaimer: Affiliate links help us produce good content. Learn more.