Iran is unsafe for certain people because of its authoritarian regime and lack of civil liberties. The government monitors online activities, blocks websites, and goes after citizens who step out of line.
This sounds unthinkable to most, but luckily, there’s a way to fix this injustice. A virtual private network (or VPN) for Iran is just the tool you need to mask your online activities and enjoy the internet as it’s supposed to be. It redirects your web traffic through encrypted servers, rendering your online presence anonymous and hidden from surveillance.
Avoid online dangers and use a reliable Iran VPN to protect yourself and unlock more of the internet.
Best VPN for Iran: shortlist
- The best VPN for Iran9.7
- Iran VPN with cutting-edge features9.6
- Cheap and effective VPN for Iran9.4
- Iran VPN with a free version9.3
- Iran VPN with malware protection8.9
How to get the best VPN for Iran
- Sign up for a trustworthy Iran VPN. Our #1 suggestion is NordVPN, available for 68% off!
- Download the VPN software on your device
- Connect to a server in a foreign country to access blocked content
- Access blocked content and avoid surveillance in Iran!
Why do you need a VPN in Iran?
Iran is an Islamic state in Western Asia with authoritarian tendencies. The country is known for unfair elections, suppressing protests, and limiting the civil rights of women and children. Unsurprisingly, restrictions also abound online, with limited access to independent media and foreign services.
These aspects make it crucial for Iranian citizens to use a secure VPN while doing anything online. Plus, you never know when the tides will turn, and an innocuous activity will become illegal in the country. It’s best to protect yourselves as soon as possible with uncrackable AES-256 encryption.
The basic principle of a VPN is redirecting your online traffic through a remote server. This process changes your virtual location and grants access to geo-restricted foreign content. Additionally, your actual IP address is hidden, improving your online anonymity.
Many people use the best VPN services to unlock more content on Netflix, remove online trackers, and avoid mass surveillance. You, too, can experience these perks by using a reliable provider in Iran.
Best VPNs for Iran: overview
- NordVPN – the ultimate Iran VPN
- Surfshark VPN – VPN for Iran with excellent features
- PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for Iran
- Atlas VPN – top-notch freemium Iran VPN
- IPVanish – well-rounded Iran VPN with unlimited connections
Although there are many VPN services to choose from, not all are suitable for Iran.
For starters, you’ll need excellent protection to prevent IP leaks, disconnections, and even digital viruses. Furthermore, low-quality virtual private networks can impact your connection speed significantly and reduce it to a crawl. You can avoid that by using fast VPN services with modern tunneling protocols like WireGuard.
You might be surprised to hear that most VPNs don’t have servers in Iran. That’s because the government wants to monitor all online activities, including VPN traffic. This explains why reliable no-logs providers don’t operate servers in surveillance states like Iran, Russia, and India.
We selected five VPNs for Iran that fit these criteria and offer plenty of other benefits. Read their overviews and pick one that best suits your needs.
1. NordVPN – the #1 VPN service for Iran
NordLynx, OpenVPN, IKEv2
- Fast with NordLynx
- Obfuscated servers for extra security
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for staying secure and unlocking restricted content in Iran. It has industry-leading features and is an example for other virtual private network providers. Best of all, it has a 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store if you need a risk-free test ride.
Firstly, the service runs a massive fleet of 5500+ servers in 59+ countries. Standard servers use RAM-only hardware to avoid storing data on hard drives. Meanwhile, obfuscated servers work great at masking your VPN traffic in restrictive regions. At the same time, connectivity remains excellent with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
Besides typical VPN protection, NordVPN goes the extra mile with Threat Protection. This feature blocks ads, trackers, malware, and other computer viruses. On the other hand, bonus entertainment potential is granted by unlocking foreign content libraries on streaming platforms like Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu.
Get the best the VPN industry has to offer by subscribing to this service for only $3.09/month. Don’t forget to grab a NordVPN coupon for mind-blowing savings. Plus, you can always reconsider, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Iran VPN with top-notch privacy
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
- Loads of features at an affordable price
- Unlimited device connections
- Most diverse country selection
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surshark VPN is the top provider to have if you need online security for an unlimited number of users. It has excellent performance and doesn’t impose simultaneous connection limits. Give it a try by claiming the 7-day Surfshark trial on the Google Play or Apple App Store.
The network spans an impressive 3200+ RAM-only servers across 95+ countries. Users can choose between regular, Static IP, and MultiHop locations to suit their needs. Whichever they choose, connection speeds will remain top-notch with the presence of WireGuard.
Customers can use the numerous Surfshark features to enhance their VPN experience. For starters, CleanWeb wipes away ads, online trackers, and even malware. Also, NoBorders and Camouflage modes effectively deal with digital borders and other restrictions. And if that’s not enough, you can unlock antivirus capabilities with the Surfshark One package.
Protect everyone you know with one account by subscribing to this service for only $2.21/month. Don’t forget to use a Surfshark coupon to get the best possible savings. Lastly, keep in mind that your purchase is insured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – budget-friendly Iran VPN
OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP
- Port forwarding for improved torrenting
- Stealth VPN to get around VPN blocks
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Lacks WireGuard
Staying protected online in Iran shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. That’s why we’re grateful for cheap providers like PrivateVPN. The service brings many features for various use cases at an affordable price.
PrivateVPN operates a humble fleet of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. Slow connectivity is avoided by utilizing High Quality Network – the practice of buying internet capacity directly from IP transit providers. Furthermore, VPN connections are conducted with the tried and trusted OpenVPN tunneling protocol.
One PrivateVPN subscription allows customers to protect up to 10 different devices simultaneously. The service is compatible with computers, mobile devices, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV Stick. Users can cover other platforms by installing the VPN on a router. Then any network-connected device gains the benefits of a VPN connection.
Get cheap and effective digital security in Iran by grabbing this provider for $2.00/month. The best possible deals are available using PrivateVPN discount codes. If you’re not satisfied, take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – most affordable VPN for Iran
- Well-performing free version
- Lightning-fast with WireGuard
- Limitless connections
- No router configuration
Atlas VPN is the most cost-effective VPN provider you can get in Iran. Prices are meager, even though a subscription grants tremendous benefits.
First off, the network spans 750+ servers in 37+ countries. For added convenience, the locations are categorized into regular, streaming, and Privacy Pro servers. Whichever you choose, download and upload speeds will remain blazing fast with the help of WireGuard.
The first worthwhile security feature with Atlas VPN is SafeSwap. It periodically changes your IP address without interrupting your connection. If that’s not enough, MultiHop+ will rotate your IP address and reroute the connection through multiple servers in different locations. Besides these, you should also enable the kill switch, Tracker Blocker, and Data Breach Monitor.
Familiarize yourself with this service using the free version. Alternatively, use an Atlas VPN coupon code and get the full package for only $1.83/month. If you’re not satisfied, the 30-day money-back guarantee has your back.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – secure and reliable Iran VPN
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, L2TP/IPSec
- VIPRE antivirus software
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Swift speeds with WireGuard
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish is a reasonably-priced and secure option for staying anonymous in Iran. It provides great connection quality, unlimited device connections, and solid privacy practices.
For starters, the IPVanish fleet contains over 2000 servers in 50+ countries. The hardware is entirely physical and owned by the provider to ensure peak uptime and reliability. Meanwhile, connection quality doesn’t falter with the assistance of WireGuard.
Although IPVanish is based in the US, the service went through an independent audit of its no-logs policy to showcase trustworthiness. Moreover, customers gain access to many other security tools, such as OpenVPN traffic scramble and SOCKS5 proxies. Best of all, one account allows you to utilize these benefits on an unlimited number of devices.
Claim a valid IPVanish discount code and subscribe for only $3.33/month. If you’re not happy, you can get a refund using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we picked the best VPN for Iran
Each virtual private network use case has different needs and priorities. Here are the criteria we considered vital when compiling this list of VPN services for Iran.
- Security. Users in Iran primarily should be concerned with digital security. A VPN covers that aspect with military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. However, don’t forego bonus features against ads, trackers, and malware.
- Privacy. A virtual private network should adhere to a strict zero-logs policy to prevent data exposure and unnecessary risk. You can be certain a provider does that when it’s outside the Five Eyes alliance and has conducted a third-party audit.
- Servers. While most providers don’t have Iran VPN servers, a wide-reaching network provides great connectivity practically everywhere. For example, VPNs with servers in Turkey grant fast connections in Iran and excellent Netflix unblocking capabilities.
- Speed. Besides servers, VPN connection speeds are influenced by available tunneling protocols. WireGuard and its proprietary versions are currently the fastest. You can check the connectivity of some providers through our VPN speed testing tool.
- Price. Peak performance and reliability are available with premium virtual private networks. However, there’s no need to go overboard and purchase the most expensive option. You can choose cheap VPN services and specialized providers for specific use-cases for only a few dollars per month.
- Compatibility. All five VPNs are compatible with computers and mobile phones, the most common web-browsing devices in Iran. Additionally, you can install them on home entertainment devices and even routers for greater flexibility.
- Customer support. Dealing with online censorship in Iran can be difficult if you’re on your own. That’s why we picked services with 24/7 customer support options to assist you whenever necessary.
VPN issues in Iran
The excessive online censorship and surveillance in Iran can make it difficult to get a VPN up and running. That’s why we recommend getting familiar with the many potential issues and their solutions. Of course, you can always contact customer service immediately and not go through this rigmarole yourself.
In any case, here are the potential problems you’ll come across when using a VPN in Iran.
- Blocked IP addresses. The Iranian government could be blocking foreign or VPN IP addresses. Try using a different one by reconnecting to another server.
- IP and DNS leaks. A poor VPN connection results in IP leaks and the exposure of your true location. Then you’ll have no chance of unblocking foreign content or staying anonymous.
- Restricted VPN traffic. Authoritarian regimes frequently use DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) to snuff out VPN traffic. Make sure your VPN provider has Stealth VPN capabilities and can bypass VPN blocks.
- Internet outages. A favorite in the authoritarian playbook is shutting down the internet during times of political unrest. Sadly, a VPN won’t help if there’s no service in your area.
- Outdated software. Sometimes the issue is on the users’ side. It can be a firewall blocking VPN traffic, outdated applications, or driver problems.
Can I use a free VPN in Iran?
A free VPN for Iran sounds like the perfect thing. After all, internet freedom shouldn’t come at a price. However, no-cost services always have some drawbacks. And when it comes to virtual private networks in regions like Iran, it’s better to be safe (with a premium VPN) than sorry.
Firstly, free VPNs don’t have strong enough security to ensure protection against mass surveillance by governments. Additionally, you’ll have to deal with throttled connections and further slowdowns because of a limited number of servers in remote locations. Plus, even if your only goal is unblocking geo-restricted movies, you’ll be disappointed to hear that free VPNs can’t do that either.
Ultimately, it all boils down to your intended purpose. Just don’t forget to check the legality of VPNs abroad and whether you’re willing to risk using no-cost services to keep you secure. And if you’re looking for a VPN with an Iran IP – I suggest you reconsider. After all, such a provider could be working with the government and handing your browsing data to the authorities on a silver platter.
If you’re looking for other no-cost options, look into VPNs with free trials. They’re a great way to get familiar with a service without paying a dime. Once you’re done, use a VPN discount code to get huge savings when signing up.
A VPN in Iran is essential for experiencing an internet without borders and fear of surveillance. It will mask your online activities with uncrackable encryption while at the same time unlocking restricted content. Of course, these benefits are only possible when committing to a premium Iran VPN. Otherwise, you’ll have no chance of curbing the numerous censorship methods the Iranian government imposes.
Don’t let anyone hold you back online by getting NordVPN, the best VPN available!
What’s your experience using a VPN in Iran? Share your security tips by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for UAE
Best VPN for Saudi Arabia
Best VPN for travel
Best VPN for dark web
How to watch Sky Sports in USA
How to play FanDuel with a VPN
How to change location on Bumble
Is it legal to use a VPN in Iran?
No, VPN use in Iran is heavily restricted to enforce censorship. Therefore, you should only use the best VPN services to protect your online activities completely and reliably without leaking personal information.
Can I use a free VPN in Iran?
No, using a free VPN in Iran is not recommended. For starters, VPNs are illegal in the region, making their use a risky endeavor in the first place. Secondly, such services won’t protect you reliably and could even expose you to more danger.
Which VPN has Iran IP addresses?
Sadly, there are no reliable VPN services with Iran IP addresses. That’s because the government wants to monitor all online activities, including those in VPN data centers. Therefore, privacy-respecting services don’t operate hardware in those regions.
What is the best VPN for Iran?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Iran. It has excellent security credentials, an independently-audited no-logs policy, and jurisdiction in Panama. Furthermore, the NordLynx tunneling protocol and wide-reaching server network ensure top-notch connectivity across the globe.