Users in India can benefit from VPN services in many ways. There is a lot to stream in India – Bollywood is the biggest film industry there is, and the Indian television industry is similarly huge in terms of output and viewership. And let’s not forget IPL cricket.
Sadly, most of the Indian content is unavailable in many parts of the world due to geo-blocking. A good VPN can solve that.
Additionally, VPNs provide security and privacy on the internet. This is crucial for users in India, where the government has implemented invasive surveillance measures.
For instance, Section 69 of the IT Act allows authorities to surveil users in the investigation of any offense. Using a VPN, you can stay out of the eyes of the authorities and other snoopers.
5 Best VPNs for India: a shortlist
- The most secure VPN with servers in India9.7
- Solid VPN option for users in India9.5
- Affordable VPN for streaming Hindi content9.0
- Cheapest VPN for India8.9
- Privacy-centered VPN with servers in India8.4
How to get the best VPN for India
- Choose a secure and trustworthy VPN for India. We recommend Surfshark VPN, now 82% off
- Download and install the VPN on your browsing device
- Connect to a server in India or any other country
- Surf the net without fear of surveillance!
Why do you need a VPN in India?
April of 2022 marked the beginning of the end for Indian resident privacy. In 2021, the government planned on banning VPNs entirely but reconsidered because citizens and companies alike needed these products. However, that changed in April 2022 when the government passed a law requiring VPN services to monitor user data extensively.
Unsurprisingly, the most trustworthy VPN providers decided to pull the plug on server hardware in India. Instead, some switched to virtual servers (hardware located near India configured to grant Indian IP addresses). Meanwhile, others only have servers in neighboring countries since they use a completely physical server fleet.
Thankfully, virtual private network use in India is still legal. That means a secure VPN will fulfill your privacy needs while protecting you against malicious ads, online trackers, and nasty viruses. On the other hand, VPNs with virtual servers in India can be used to stream coveted Bollywood content while traveling elsewhere.
Consider your intentions and pick the most suitable VPN provider. We reviewed a fair number of services before settling for seven worthwhile options.
Overview of the best VPNs for India
A VPN needs to fit a few requirements to be considered viable for users in India. After all, a solid security foundation is crucial for fulfilling other use cases, such as staying anonymous or effectively spoofing your location.
To be precise, our recommended providers include these features
- A VPN kill switch
- AES-256 encryption
- Plenty of servers worldwide
- DNS leak protection
- Fast and reliable tunneling protocols
- Bonus security features
- P2P support
- Quick-responding customer support
- Affordable prices
- Multiple device connections with one account
Details will vary between services so check out their brief descriptions before picking an India VPN for yourself.
1. Surfshark VPN – affordable and trustworthy VPN with virtual servers in India
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
- Solid security features
- Swift connectivity with WireGuard
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No-logs policy not audited
Surfshark VPN is the all-in-one service for Indian residents. It offers virtual servers in the country, an excellent variety of security tools, and unlimited device connections. Try it out using the 7-day Surfshark trial on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
The provider commands a wide-reaching fleet of 3200+ RAM-only servers across 100+ countries. Besides regular locations, customers can select MultiHop and Static IP options for extra encryption or a permanent IP address. Alternatively, the Rotating IP feature will intermittently change your IP address to keep snoopers on their toes.
Surfshark has apps for all major platforms, plus Android TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick. Meanwhile, unsupported devices can be blessed with geo-unblocking capabilities using Smart DNS or by installing the VPN on a router. Lastly, connections are conducted with the fast and open-source WireGuard tunneling protocol for minimal loading times and lag-free streaming.
Use a Surfshark discount code at checkout and watch as subscription prices drop to a measly $2.30/month. Best of all, the 30-day money-back guarantee is the perfect exit strategy if you’re unsatisfied with the results.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
2. NordVPN – excellent VPN for India with physical servers nearby
NordLynx, OpenVPN, IKEv2
- Unbeatable in terms of security and privacy
- NordLynx for industry-leading connection speeds
- SmartPlay for smooth streaming experience
- Only six simultaneous connections
NordVPN would be the perfect VPN for India if not for the absence of servers in the country. However, its fully-physical server network is incompatible with local data-retention laws. Still, it’s worth checking out because of its wicked-fast connectivity and industry-leading security features. You can do so without commitment using the 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store.
The network contains 5400+ servers across 60+ countries. Indian residents can choose from nearby Thailand, Vietnam, or UAE for optimal connectivity. Additionally, specialty servers (P2P, Double VPN, Onion over VPN, obfuscated, dedicated IP) are available for specific use cases. Most importantly, connection speeds are kept ultra-fast with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
This VPN is an ideal choice for streaming enthusiasts wishing for access to a variety of foreign content. For example, you’ll have no trouble changing your region on Netflix or unblocking exclusive services like HBO Max. Meanwhile, device compatibility is practically limitless, thanks to SmartPlay.
Take advantage of a NordVPN coupon to purchase the best VPN for streaming for only $3.49/month. Plus, the 30-day money-back warranty allows you to get a refund without any trouble.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – streaming-oriented VPN for India
OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP
- Reliable in terms of security
- Great speeds with OpenVPN
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
PrivateVPN is registered in Sweden, one of the Fourteen Eyes alliance countries. However, this shouldn’t be a problem because this provider has a no-logs policy. What’s more, its AES-256 cipher ensures that your traffic is inaccessible to third parties and even PrivateVPN itself.
You will find India among the service’s 200+ servers across 63+ countries, making it an ideal option for streaming local and foreign content. For example, it’s a solid choice with Netflix, Disney Plus, or Hotstar. Plus, you’ll have no trouble securing your family’s devices with the generous 10 device connection limit.
No need to worry about potential network limitations because the Stealth VPN feature can mask your traffic and curb petty restrictions in no time. Meanwhile, P2P download speeds can be maximized with the help of port forwarding. Plus, no one will be able to connect the dots between you and your account if you purchase a subscription using Bitcoin.
Private VPN starts at only $2.00/month if you use a valid coupon code. Best of all, you can use the 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee to get an extended testing period with this service.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – budget-friendly secure VPN for India
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Cheapest subscriptions
- Excellent free version
- Lacks servers in India
Atlas VPN is the cheapest VPN for securing your activities and unlocking foreign content in India. Unfortunately, the lack of servers in the country could be a dealbreaker for some. But if Indian IP addresses aren’t a priority, use the free plan as an introduction to the service.
The premium version runs on 750+ servers across 37+ countries. The list includes regular servers plus specialized Streaming and Privacy Pro locations. The former are optimized for unblocking exclusive movies and TV shows, while the latter greatly improve your online anonymity.
In terms of security, Atlas VPN provides a solid feature arsenal. Firstly, SafeSwap can periodically change your IP address, making it more difficult to track you. On the other hand, MultiHop+ takes it a step further and reroutes your connection through servers in multiple locations. Finally, Tracker Blocker will clean up any online breadcrumbs that could expose customers.
Don’t skip out on using an Atlas VPN coupon code to sign up for only $2.05/month. Plus, there’s no need to worry about regrets because your purchase is insured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. Proton VPN – securify-focused VPN for India
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPsec, Stealth
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Amazing security and privacy
- Great free version
- Few P2P servers
Proton VPN is a Swizterland-based security-oriented VPN for India. However, that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to stream your favorite shows or download torrent files.
While for some providers having bank-grade encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch is something worth boasting about, Proton VPN takes it to the next level. It uses the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol while also offering multi-hop (Double VPN), Tor over VPN, and Secure Core servers installed in a bunker.
Proton VPN has a no-log policy that goes well with its privacy-friendly location. Besides, all of its apps are open-source and have been audited by a third party.
You can choose from 1700+ servers in 66+ countries. Virtually all of them are 10 Gbps, something you won’t find easily. Also, VPN Accelerator will boost speeds up to 400%.
There 6 Indian servers in Mumbai and Pune that allow streaming and use an ad blocker. Even though Proton VPN is known for its excellent free version, the Indian servers are available to pro subscribers only. On the other hand, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
6. PureVPN – India VPN with a huge server fleet
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
- Privacy-friendly jurisdiction
- Huge server list
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Weak kill switch
PureVPN is a good all-rounder for India. It supports many different platforms, including Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Kodi, and various routers. This service also offers many features, even though some cost extra.
You will get a combination of AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection. Most importantly, PureVPN is registered in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands. If that wasn’t enough, it has an independently-audited no-logs policy.
But what’s most impressive is PureVPN’s global presence. There are 6500+ servers in 70+ countries. Most of them are 10 Gbps and there are already quite a few locations with 5G-ready 20 Gbps options. More than 40 servers are in Chennai.
PureVPN unblocks multiple streaming platforms and allows P2P where it’s legal. For less than a buck, you can add useful features like port forwarding or dedicated IP. Another option is a 7-day trial for $0.99 but a 31-day money-back guarantee should be enough for everyone.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
7. IPVanish – VPN for India with secure cloud services
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, L2TP/IPSec
- Excellent security features
- No device limit
- Above-average speeds
- No anonymous payments
IPVanish is a well-known name and is often mentioned among the best VPNs for India. This provider separates itself from the pack by offering 500 GB of secure cloud storage and unlimited simultaneous connections.
With 2000+ self-owned servers in 50+ countries, including 8 in New Dehli and Mumbai, IPVanish offers a truly global coverage. Its ability to unblock Netflix US and torrenting that’s allowed on all servers makes this service a good all-rounder.
IPVanish is also secured to the hilt with private DNS servers, NASA-grade encryption, and Stealth VPN. Even though it’s located in the United States, a strict no-logs policy ensures privacy for every client.
You can test IPVanish for 30 days thanks to its money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we selected the best VPNs for India
There’s much to consider when choosing a VPN to use in India. After all, do you need an Indian IP address or just the privacy benefits of encryption? If you need both, our #1 suggestion has you covered.
Below is a brief overview of which aspects we considered vital when compiling the list of VPN services for India.
- Security features and reliability. A good technical backbone is fundamental to providing reliable performance in other areas. You won’t be able to unblock geo-restricted content or stay anonymous if your actual IP address and location are leaking. Plus, you need protection for daily activities against phishing attacks and other online threats.
- Connection speed. The best VPN is one that runs in the background without you noticing any performance issues. This is vital if you want to watch geo-restricted video content in crisp UHD quality. If you agree, pick a fast VPN provider with modern tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard.
- Server diversity. Not all VPN providers can offer virtual servers in India. At the very least, they need a huge worldwide fleet to provide optimal connections anywhere. Plus, it’s essential for granting a greater selection of foreign content.
- Anonymity assurances. A VPN must have some guarantees it’s confidential to convince potential buyers it’s effective at avoiding surveillance. The best assurances are an audited zero-logs policy, a jurisdiction outside the Fourteen Eyes alliance, and anonymous payment methods.
- Subscription price. The most expensive virtual private networks aren’t necessarily the best. Even budget-friendly services grant essential security and privacy for staying anonymous. Plus, we only picked services with generous money-back guarantees.
- Device compatibility. No one needs a one-trick pony VPN that only works with a handful of platforms. Which is why we couldn’t overlook app availability and router support.
- Customer service options. Sometimes it can be troublesome to figure out why a VPN isn’t working in a particular scenario. In such cases, it’s good to have knowledgeable customer support specialists to fall back on.
How to get an Indian IP address in 2023
You might need an Indian IP address for many reasons. For example, you may want to watch Netflix titles available in the Indian library. Another reason might be loading a region-based version of a popular news portal.
No matter your intention, the best option is to use a reliable VPN for India. Next, we show you how to get an Indian IP address in 2023:
- Get a VPN that has servers in India. Our top choice is Surfshark VPN, now 82% off
- Install it on your device and pick a server in India
- Connect to the VPN server
- Now you have an Indian IP!
What can I access with an Indian VPN?
Not sure what’s the point of having a Hindi IP address abroad? Allow me to present you with some of the top streaming services from India!
- Disney+ Hotstar is an affordable streaming service with plenty of Walt Disney and domestic content for Indian viewers. Besides India, it’s available in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and expected to come to the Philippines and Vietnam as well. Make sure to grab a VPN for Hotstar to have continued access to the platform anywhere.
- Voot is a freemium streaming service, owned by Viacom18 and exclusive to India, the US, and the UK. The premium version unlocks Voot original series and removes ads. Experience the complete package anywhere by getting a VPN for Voot.
- YouTube Premium and a few other online services offer varying prices based on your location. That means you can use a VPN with servers in India to get YouTube Premium at a lower price. Check our guide for details.
VPN for India not working: solutions
There are times when your VPN will not work. But no need to panic as there are plenty of actions you can take to get everything back on track.
- Check for IP and DNS leaks. You’ll be unable to access geo-restricted content if your actual location is slipping through the cracks. Use a website like dnsleaktest.com to ensure that your IP address is thoroughly hidden.
- Switch servers. Online services sometimes restrict VPN users by blocking their IP addresses. After all, it’s not difficult to do when multiple accounts connect using the one. However, it’s highly unlikely all of them are flagged so just connect to another one and try again. Alternatively, sign up for a VPN with dedicated IP addresses to avoid this conundrum entirely.
- Update your software. Using outdated software is like trying to drive in winter with summer tires. Ensure everything is optimal by checking for app updates for your VPN.
- Clear your browser’s cache. Trying to watch geo-blocked movies with the help of a VPN on your browser? Delete the cache and cookies because they could be inadvertently exposing your true location.
If nothing works, reach out to customer service. They’ll get to the bottom of your problem and offer some potential fixes.
Can I use a free VPN in India?
There are a few things to consider before trying to use costless VPNs in India.
First off, even the best free VPN services come with frustrating limitations. I’m talking about data caps, throttled connection speeds, abysmal server options, and sub-par security features. Plus, don’t be under the false impression that a free VPN can unblock Netflix or other geo-restricted streaming platforms.
And don’t even get me started on no-cost VPNs that collect your data, pepper your screen with ads, or straight up install malware. This is a very likely scenario when installing free products that appear too good to be true. Therefore, we recommend using trusted free VPNs like Proton VPN and Atlas VPN that are upfront about their limitations.
On the other hand, if you want a quick test run before investing in a worthwhile provider, check which VPNs have a free trial. They’ll grant the complete package temporarily if you input payment details. You can also cancel the trial as soon as possible to avoid accidents.
The best VPN for India in 2023 is Surfshark VPN. It has a great price, excellent security, and the excellent speeds. What’s more, Surfshark allows P2P and unblocks geo-restricted streaming services, such as Hotstar, JioCinema, or SonyLIV. Finally, it allows secure torrenting without exposing your real IP address and location.
If you’re in India, which of these VPNs have you used before? Did we miss any great VPN for India? Let us know in the comments below.
Is VPN legal in India?
VPNs are legal in India, but that can change fast. Back in 2015, actions were made to limit access to adult content. Also, the government likes to shut down the internet in Kashmir from time to time. If that wasn’t enough, ISPs like to snoop on their customers’ traffic, and some websites are blocked for political or religious reasons.
What is the best VPN for streaming in India?
NordVPN is the best VPN for streaming in India. It can unblock Netflix, RelianceJio, BBC iPlayer, Hotstar, and other streaming platforms. It’s also very fast, so you might expect HD or even 4K quality.
Is there a free VPN for India?
Yes, there’s more than one. However, you should be careful when selecting a free VPN for India. Most providers log and sell your data to third parties, while others can contain dangerous malware.
So even though we don’t recommend free VPNs for India, you can try Windscribe from the list above. It has a free version, but it’s limited to 10 GB/month. So when you need more, simply get the Pro Windscribe version.
Is using a VPN for India safe?
Yes, provided that you use a safe VPN for India, which means any provider on the list above. They have no-log policies, military-grade encryption, leak protection, and reliable kill switches. Besides, using a VPN is legal in India, at least for now.
Do I need a VPN if I live in India?
Yes, you should use a VPN in India. There are plenty of banned resources, such as adult content or certain websites that the government doesn’t like. Additionally, Indian ISPs often snoop on their customers, but you can stop that by using a VPN.
Will a VPN for India slow down my connection?
Every VPN for India slows down the connection to some point. However, premium VPNs are fast enough for you not to notice any drop in speed. Besides, many ISPs like to throttle your bandwidth, especially if you’re streaming or torrenting. With a VPN, they won’t know what you’re doing online, so the throttling stops right there.