Thanks to the almighty internet, vast troves of the latest TV shows and movies are available on various streaming platforms. But to the dismay of many, they aren’t accessible to everyone equally across the globe. Some platforms restrict access to certain content based on your location. And sometimes your ISP will throttle your internet because of constant streaming.
It’s nothing the best VPNs for streaming can’t solve. They let you change your region to bypass geo-blocks, granting access to foreign streaming platform libraries. Furthermore, this tool hides your online activities from all third parties, including the ISP, eliminating their imposed restrictions. Thus, your speeds will be great enough for seamless HD streaming on Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and plenty of other platforms.
Top 5 VPN for streaming: shortlist
- The best VPN for streaming9.6 / 10
- VPN with unlimited simultaneous connections9.4 / 10
- All-rounder VPN with cheap plans9.2 / 10
- Performance-focused streaming VPN9.1 / 10
- VPN with dedicated streaming servers8.9 / 10
How to choose the best streaming VPN?
Some people might want to do some research themselves, and that’s totally fine. Just keep in mind that not all providers are suited for streaming. Thus, ensure your chosen premium VPN ticks off as many criteria points as possible:
- Can unblock multiple streaming services, not just a single one
- Offers a broad server network spanning all continents
- Facilitates excellent performance along with superb speeds and includes the latest tunneling protocols to achieve them
- One account is allowed several simultaneous connections
- Supported devices include not only popular operating systems but streaming peripherals as well
The best VPN for streaming: detailed list
When picking the best candidates for streaming, we considered the aforementioned key aspects. Here are our top 5 streaming VPNs based on these factors. You can expect access to almost any foreign service or content library and a smooth viewing experience.
1. NordVPN – the best streaming VPN
24/7 live chat, Email
- Top speeds in the industry
- SmartPlay for geo-block bypassing
- Independently-audited and secure
- Only six simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the best and fastest VPN for streaming overall. It’s located in Panama and adheres to an independently-audited no-logs policy. Plus, the provider has plenty of high-end features to ensure confidentiality while accessing and watching the latest shows. Take advantage of IP & DNS leak protection, two kill switches, and industry-leading encryption.
You’ll have no shortage of content libraries with the network of 5800+ RAM-only servers in 60+ countries. And the proprietary NordLynx protocol guarantees godlike speeds no matter which connection point you pick. Thanks to it, everything you watch on Netflix, Peacock, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming platforms will be lag-free.
If six simultaneous connections aren’t enough for the household, NordVPN can be installed on a router for full coverage. As for other devices, stream freely on popular OS, along with Android TVs and Amazon Fire TV sticks. And if your peripheral doesn’t support VPN technology, the SmartPlay feature still lets you bypass geo-blocks on them.
Finally, this streaming VPN has excellent 24/7 live chat support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Subscriptions start at only $3.49/month, but you can try getting a better deal with NordVPN coupons.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – secure & reliable VPN for streaming
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Great performance with WireGuard
- Smart DNS for block circumvention
- No device limit
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark is an excellent streaming VPN for large households due to unlimited connections. When opting for this provider, you also get military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and advanced anti-censorship features. Moreover, its NoBorders and Camouflage modes make this service great for streamers in China.
First off, it offers incredible speeds throughout its entire fleet of 3200+ RAM-only servers across 100+ countries. All thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol and Software Defined Networking (SDN). Secondly, streaming fans can rejoice as it unblocks Netflix, Peacock, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming platforms.
Additionally, Surfshark VPN has apps for Amazon Fire TV Stick and Android TV. And with the help of Smart DNS, you can enjoy the benefits of a VPN on practically any streaming device that you own. It even works on PlayStation and Xbox consoles and includes secure browser add-ons.
This VPN for streaming can be yours at $2.30/month after applying a Surfshark discount code. If you have trouble using it, the responsive customer support is reachable via 24/7 live chat. And lastly, subscribing is risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – the cheapest streaming VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Unblocks popular streaming platforms
- Streaming-optimized servers
- No router support
Those wanting to bypass streaming platform restrictions without shelling out will find Atlas VPN more than great. It comes with military-grade encryption, no leaks, and a no-logs policy. There’s also protection against malware and SafeSwap servers that rotate your IP address, adding extra security.
The service offers 1000+ servers in 42+ countries, so getting access to foreign libraries is pretty easy. And with the WireGuard protocol on the roster, you can expect high-quality videos regardless of where you live. We advise utilizing the dedicated streaming servers for the best Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix experience.
Currently, Atlas VPN supports Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, and iOS devices, along with Amazon Firestick and Android TV. Setting it up on a router isn’t possible, but the provider makes up for it with unlimited simultaneous connections. The best thing about this is that it doesn’t cost extra.
Don’t forget to use an Atlas VPN coupon before checkout, and it will be yours for only $1.82/month. If it doesn’t meet your needs, getting a refund is an option, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – VPN for streaming with great connectivity
24/7 live chat, email
- In-house Lightway protocol for great speeds
- MediaStreamer for seamless streaming
- Solid security features
A convenient streaming experience is a given with ExpressVPN. Powerful features secure your efforts, and not even the provider doesn’t see what you’re accessing, as the verified no-logs policy indicates. There’s even split tunneling if you want to customize your VPN connection to better suit your needs.
A subscription gets you thousands of RAM-only servers across 94+ countries, which is more than enough for circumventing platform restrictions. The streams will be lag-free and won’t suffer from buffering, either, with the help of the in-house Lightway protocol. Take advantage of this to enjoy Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, and more in crisp HD quality.
ExpressVPN works on practically any streaming device you own, thanks to the MediaStreamer feature. Other than that, you get dedicated apps for popular OS, including Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and Roku. And if five simultaneous connections aren’t enough, download the router applet.
You can get started with this streaming VPN at just $6.67/month. Of course, you could try lowering the price by utilizing ExpressVPN codes. Lastly, the 30-day money-back guarantee is right there if the service doesn’t live up to the hype.
For a deeper investigation of ExpressVPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – streaming VPN with a large server network
24/7 live chat
- Dedicated streaming servers
- Unblocks Netflix and other platforms
- Smart Rules for customizing VPN connection
- macOS and iOS have fewer features
Looking for a versatile VPN for streaming? Then don’t overlook CyberGhost, which comes with dedicated streaming hardware capable of unblocking popular platforms. What’s more, the service is extra secure with an independently-audited no-logs policy, robust IP & DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch.
With 9360+ servers in 100+ countries, getting access to a variety of foreign content is a piece of cake. Whether it’s regional Netflix libraries or BBC iPlayer, YouTube TV, and Amazon Prime Video, solid video quality and zero buffering are a given. Pick either WireGuard or IKEv2, sit back, and relax.
Put the dedicated apps for Amazon Firestick and Android TV to good use. Or the Smart DNS feature if you have devices that don’t natively support VPN software. You can even make it work with Kodi if you prefer this media player for your streaming needs. Lastly, every plan comes with seven simultaneous connections.
Pick a CyberGhost discount coupon and subscribe for only $2.03/month. A 45-day money-back guarantee protects all plans, so you won’t lose any hard-earned cash. Got any questions? Get in touch with support via 24/7 live chat.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
Best streaming VPN: comparison
Have no time to read every provider’s description? See how our top-rated services fare when matched against each other.
|NordVPN||Surfshark VPN||Atlas VPN||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost|
|Network||5800+ servers in 60+ countries||3200+ servers in 100+ countries||1000+ servers in 42+ countries||Thousands of servers in 94+ countries||9360+ servers in 100+ countries|
|Supported devices||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku, routers||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, routers||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku, routers||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, routers|
|Smart DNS||SmartPlay||Smart DNS||No||MediaStreamer||Yes|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||Atlas VPN review||ExpressVPN review||CyberGhost review|
While you can expect an optimal streaming experience with all these VPNs, NordVPN is still the best for this pastime. There are multiple reasons for it, including blazing-fast speeds, excellent geo-block bypassing capabilities, and broad device support. Plus, it’s one of the most secure services with affordable pricing.
How we tested streaming VPNs
Not all VPNs are suited for streaming, and those that are don’t always ensure you’ll have a great time. We carefully curated top 5 list according to these key aspects:
- Great speeds. You want to be able to enjoy videos in the best possible quality and with minimal buffering. We tested VPN speeds with Netflix, YouTube TV, BBC iPlayer, and other popular streaming platforms to check whether videos lagged, stuttered, etc. The ones that ended up on this list facilitated buffer-free streaming.
- Server and country count. Lean towards those with more servers, especially if they cover a wider range of countries. This way, you’ll be able to change your location with a VPN to the most optimal connection points for your situation. Plus, you’ll have access to a plethora of foreign content libraries.
- Additional perks. Split tunneling is great if you want to secure only the streaming app. Smart DNS helps you access foreign content on devices that don’t support VPN software. Some providers even offer specialized servers for streaming in general or dedicated for specific platforms, for example, Netflix.
- Security & privacy. Ideally, you should be looking for a service with a zero-logs policy. Doing so would increase your chances of staying private and anonymous online. In addition, never overlook the essential VPN features like a kill switch, AES-256 encryption, and leak protection.
- Pricing. Pricier providers could be packed with features that you don’t need. And a higher price tag doesn’t always equal great performance. Meanwhile, a cheap VPN service might be enough to satisfy your streaming needs without sacrificing service quality.
How to use a VPN for streaming
- Choose an excellent streaming VPN. Our top recommendation is NordVPN since it works with a wide array of streaming services.
- Download and install the software on your preferred device. If you want to set up the VPN on a router, we have a separate guide for that.
- Connect to any country from which you’d like to unblock a specific service or library
- Perform an IP and DNS leak test to ensure your actual location isn’t visible
- Launch any streaming service and be amazed and the amount of new content available!
Why should you use a VPN while streaming
If you’re not satisfied with what your current streaming platform has to offer, you need a VPN. By using a reliable service, you can considerably expand your options by tearing down geographical restrictions.
What’s more, new platforms are created constantly. It may take a while for them to reach your country, but you don’t need to wait. What you have to do is connect to a server in your chosen region and enjoy freshly-baked content.
Finally, ISPs can throttle your bandwidth if they see that you’re using ridiculous amounts of data on streaming. However, with the help of a VPN, you can hide your binge-watching habits from all those nosy providers that would ruin your good time.
It is important to remember, though, that you should be picky about what service you choose. Only a reliable and acknowledged provider ensures you don’t get caught breaking the ToS of Netflix or other streaming platforms. Of course, there’s no need to fear, as most won’t ban you for using a VPN, just prevent you from viewing videos.
Streaming VPN not working: solutions
It bears repeating that streaming platforms are pretty good at detecting your actual whereabouts. And it’s especially easy to do if there are traces of it left on your device. So, before you go running to your VPN provider’s customer support, try doing some troubleshooting yourself.
- Switch to another VPN server, as the one you’re using could be overcrowded or outright blocked
- Clear your browser’s cache and web cookies, as they might be leaking your location
- Check for IP and DNS leaks, and if they are visible, ensure the VPN’s security features are turned on
- Disable your device’s GPS tracking feature, as it might be conflicting with the IP address provided by the VPN
- Disable IPv6 if your internet supports and runs it because it can reveal your regio,
- Flush the DNS cache, as it also contains location data
- Reinstall your router’s TAP drivers if you’ve set up the VPN on it
Sometimes it’s as simple as changing your time zone to match the country you’re connected to. Only when you’ve exhausted all options is it time to contact support. And if even that doesn’t solve anything, it’s time to switch to a reputable streaming VPN.
Is there a good free VPN for streaming?
The answer is, unfortunately, no. Even paid VPNs have trouble providing a good streaming experience. So, if a free service manages to unblock Netflix and other platforms, it often runs into connectivity issues.
As their servers are often overloaded, getting enough downloading speed is tricky. And we’re not talking about 4K video – even an HD stream might prove to be more than a costless provider can handle. Not to mention that most services have strict monthly bandwidth and data limits.
However, if you’re still looking for the best free VPN for streaming, you might find luck with Atlas VPN – a free service that should unblock Netflix. There are no other options save for using the money-back guarantee or a free trial of a premium VPN.
Best VPN for streaming: video review
Can’t be bothered with reading the whole thing? Then check out our video review of the best Streaming VPNs:
Can I use a streaming VPN to watch sports?
Yes, you can use a streaming VPN for sports. It’s the easiest way to watch live matches in places where they are unavailable due to either licensing agreements or blackouts. But remember that not any off-the-mill service will do.
Online sports broadcasters are especially adept at detecting and blocking VPN traffic. If your chosen provider doesn’t utilize top-notch security measures or refreshes their IP pool constantly, bypassing these VPN blocks will be a hassle. Thus, we recommend opting for services known to work with sports networks, like NordVPN.
What are the best TV streaming services?
At this point, there are as many streaming platforms as there are fish in the sea. Most cost a pretty penny, so you have to be picky when it comes to subscribing. Besides that, some are available only in specific countries, meaning a VPN is necessary to access them.
|Netflix||Disney+||HBO Max||Hulu||Peacock TV||BBC iPlayer|
|Availability||190+ countries||130+ countries||61+ countries||United States||United States||United Kingdom|
|Content||TV shows and movies||TV shows and movies||TV shows and movies||TV shows and movies||TV shows and movies||TV shows and movies|
|Free trial||No||No||No||1 month (as supported)||Free plan (ad supported)||No|
|Guides||Best VPN for Netflix||Best VPN for Disney+||How to watch HBO Max online||How to watch Hulu outside the US||How to watch Peacock TV outside the US||How to watch BBC iPlayer from anywhere|
VPN not working with a specific streaming platform?
Having trouble accessing a particular streaming platform while connected to a VPN. Check out our handy guides for quick solutions:
- Amazon Prime Video not working with a VPN
- BBC iPlayer not working with a VPN
- HBO Max not working with a VPN
- Hulu not working with a VPN
- Disney+ not working with a VPN
Choosing the best VPN for streaming enables you to ignore geo-blocks and reach movies and TV shows all around the globe. It also prevents your ISP from throttling your traffic. Furthermore, high-quality services can provide many security benefits that are essential when so much of our lives are spent online.
NordVPN is not only the best streaming VPN but the top service overall. It effectively unblocks popular streaming services such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Hotstar, among many. And industry-leading security measures, along with the latest tunneling protocols, ensure robust protection without sacrificing performance.
Which VPN do you use when streaming? Don’t hesitate to share your experience by leaving a comment!
Is a VPN for streaming worth it?
A good VPN for streaming is worth it if you want to get the most out of your streaming service. It will unlock more content from around the world with negligible connection speed reductions. This technology also hides your data-intensive activities from your ISP, preventing them from throttling your internet.
What is the fastest VPN for streaming?
The fastest VPN for streaming is NordVPN. With its proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol, it consistently tops VPN speed tests. Plus, it has a vast server network that spans all continents, which also boosts performance.
Does a VPN improve streaming?
A VPN can only improve streaming if your bandwidth is being throttled by your ISP. Other than that, it enhances your viewing experience by unlocking content and services available only in select countries.
Which VPN is best for live streaming?
The best VPN for live streaming is NordVPN. Its in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol upkeeps great speeds throughout, while powerful security measures keep your actual identity and location hidden. Thus, you can access any live stream you want.
What is the best streaming VPN?
NordVPN is the top streaming VPN. It consistently unblocks popular streaming platforms, ensures lag-free videos with the top speeds in the industry, and prevents your data from leaking with a high-quality toolkit.