CBC, also known as CBC Gem, is a Canadian television and radio network hosting all kinds of content. Available in English and French, you’ll find news coverage, shows & movies for entertainment, sports broadcasts, music, and more.
Unfortunately, as with most country-based networks, CBC is only available to the Canadian populace.
If you’re one of the many curious viewers who’d like to stream CBC, your best option is to get your hands on a Virtual Private Network (VPN). These handy tools change your IP address to a Canadian one, allowing you to access CBC in its full glory. Without further ado, here are the best ones to watch the CBC channel in the USA without a hitch.
How to watch CBC in the USA with a VPN
- Get a premium VPN with many Canadian servers. We recommend NordVPN, now 57% off!
- Install the VPN software on your device
- Connect to a server in Canada
- Stream CBC to your heart’s content!
Shortlist of the best VPNs for streaming CBC
- The best VPN for CBC9.6
- CBC VPN with no device limit9.3
- Affordable VPN to stream CBC outside Canada9.0
- CBC VPN with dedicated streaming servers8.9
- A VPN for CBC with malware protection8.4
Why do you need a VPN to watch CBC in the US?
Wondering why you can’t watch CBC in the USA or anywhere else? It’s because the service is geo-blocked, meaning only select countries have access to its content. In this case, Canadian citizens are the sole intended demographic.
CBC checks your IP address whenever you’re entering the website. If it’s not of Canadian origin, you get locked out of the option to watch live streams, movies, etc. Sure, you can still read the news, but that’s not why most people come here.
Quickly solve this issue by hiding your actual IP address with the best VPN for CBC Gem. This technology assigns you a new one depending on the server you pick, enabling you to enter any platform that is unavailable due to your location. Plus, VPNs are useful for securing your browsing, torrenting, online gaming, and more.
Best VPNs to watch CBC
There are several things a CBC Gem VPN must have, the first being plenty of Canadian servers. HD quality and minimal buffering are also mandatory for a smooth video experience, so you should check out the best streaming VPNs. They include the latest tunneling protocols like WireGuard to ensure low latency.
Don’t overlook the essential VPN tools that keep your online identity hidden, and pay attention to device compatibility. CBC is available on Android, iOS, Android TV, Fire TV, Apple TV, Smart TV, and Roku devices – the VPN should also support these. Lastly, the more simultaneous connections, the merrier.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for CBC
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx-fuelled speeds
- SmartPlay for streaming devices
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN allows you to watch CBC in the US in just a few clicks. The service comes with a robust feature package and is excellent at bypassing geo-blocks on all popular platforms. What’s more, it’s one of the fastest VPN providers available, so you can forget pesky loading screens.
The expansive fleet of 5400+ servers in 60+ countries boasts over 480 servers in Canada alone. And you’ll be able to view shows and movies on CBC Gem, or any kind of streaming website, at crisp HD quality. It is made possible thanks to the NordLynx tunneling protocol, a lightweight and more secure version of WireGuard.
Don’t forget that NordVPN expands your entertainment options beyond just CBC. With this provider, BBC iPlayer, Channel 4, and foreign Netflix libraries are at your fingertips. Accessing them on devices that don’t support VPN technology natively is also an option with the SmartPlay feature.
Try any NordVPN coupon and pay no more than $3.49/month for this superb CBC Gem VPN that includes 6 simultaneous connections. You can test it beforehand with the free 7-day trial version (via the Google Play Store). Or commit risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – CBC VPN with no device limit
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Smart DNS for bypassing geo-blocks
- Lots of perks for a low price
- Unaudited no-logs policy
View CBC outside Canada with Surfshark VPN, a service that doesn’t limit how many devices you can use it on. Besides the ones you’d expect to get, it packs some neat extra features, like NoBorders and Camouflage modes, to defeat internet censorship. Whether at home or on the go, you’ll be able to access whatever you want on the net.
Network-wise, there are plenty of connection points to utilize – 3200+ servers across 100+ countries. CBC enthusiasts aren’t left out either, with plenty of servers available in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. And to top it all off, smooth streams are a guarantee with the next-gen WireGuard protocol.
Surfshark has the largest country coverage, so your foreign content options are almost limitless. Be it different Netflix libraries or region-locked platforms like Hotstar, nothing’s stopping you from watching what you want. The Smart DNS feature is also here to circumvent restrictions on devices you can’t install a VPN on.
$2.30/month is a small cost for an excellent VPN for CBC. Just don’t forget to enter a Surfshark VPN discount code for a potentially lower price. Subscriptions are protected with the 30-day money-back guarantee, but taking it out for a spin is an option, too. Get the 7-day free trial version from the Apple App or Google Play Stores.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN to stream CBC outside Canada
24/7 live chat
- Excels at geo-block circumvention
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Provider owns all hardware
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
Make CBC television available everywhere you go with PrivateVPN. As the name suggests, the provider ensures utmost anonymity, which is great not only for accessing foreign platforms. The 10 simultaneous connections per account are also enough to secure every device in the household.
While the fleet is modest compared to other VPNs (200+ servers in 63+countries), it covers all major countries, including Canada. Just pick any server in Montreal, Vancouver, or Toronto, and tune into CBC without issue. Although the service doesn’t support WireGuard, the combination of High Quality Network and OpenVPN ensure video quality stays excellent.
When you’ve watched everything you want on CBC, PrivateVPN will easily open the doors to other platforms. Take a gander at what Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, or Crunchyroll offer to users from different regions.
Enter a PrivateVPN coupon and pay just $2.00/month for the subscription. If it doesn’t live up to the hype, quickly get a refund with the 30-day money-back guarantee. However, this predicament is easily avoidable by getting your hands on the free 7-day trial.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – CBC VPN with dedicated streaming servers
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Lighting fast due to WireGuard
- Multihop+ for untraceability
- Limitless connections
- No router configuration
Atlas VPN is for those who don’t want to pay more than necessary for a VPN to access CBC Gem. It comes with excellent performance and servers dedicated to streaming. So, you’ll enjoy your favorite video content any time of the day without lag to ruin the experience. Plus, you can use the VPN on every device you have.
The network of 750+ servers in 37+ countries includes plenty of Canadian IP addresses, so no Canada-only platform is off the table. And with the trusted WireGuard tunneling protocol being available, everything you watch won’t stutter or buffer at the most inopportune moments.
You’ll appreciate Atlas VPN’s streamlined, mobile-friendly apps if you tend to browse or stream on Android and iOS devices rather than PC. While the service offers a great free version, we can’t recommend it in this case since the free tier does not have access to servers in Canada.
$2.05/month won’t make a dent in your wallet – you can even explore better pricing options with Atlas VPN codes. And if you end up disliking the service, the 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to get a refund.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – A VPN for CBC with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- No device limit
- Numerous Canadian IP addresses
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
Looking for a security-first VPN that can unblock CBC in the US? Give IPVanish a shot. Besides being able to protect all household devices, you’ll also benefit from VIPRE antivirus software. It’s especially handy if you find yourself connected to public Wi-Fi networks, notorious for being hacker playgrounds.
IPVanish owns the whole network of 2000+ servers in 50+ countries. Moreover, it includes over 55 servers in Canada, and you can pick the city you want to connect to. The options are Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. And to top it all off, a lag-free streaming experience is a true and tested reality with the WireGuard protocol.
This provider boasts broad device compatibility, so you’re not limited to watching CBC on your phone or computer. Quickly tune into NHL or news broadcasts on Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, or Chromebook.
Apply an IPVanish coupon before finalizing the purchase to pay just $3.33/month for a subscription. While there is no free application or a trial version, you won’t lose out on your cash if you want to cancel your plan. The 30-day money-back guarantee takes care of that.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we selected these VPNs to stream CBC
A trustworthy VPN for Canada will do the trick most of the time. Still, you should also consider several crucial aspects to guarantee yourself a great time. Some of them are:
- Excellent performance. You can’t do without the latest tunneling protocols, like WireGuard, or proprietary ones, like NordLynx, that improve upon existing ones. These allow you to stream with zero lag, almost no buffering, and in HD quality. If you’re unsure which provider offers better performance, compare them with a VPN speed test tool.
- Connection count. CBC covers a wide range of content, and it’s only expected that household members will want to view different shows and broadcasts. Having plenty of simultaneous connections per account helps with that. The best option, of course, would be a CBC VPN provider that does not limit devices at all.
- Security essentials. AES-256 encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch keep you anonymous throughout. These features are mandatory – never go for a service that doesn’t include them.
- Device compatibility. Adding to the last point, CBC is also available on many operating systems. So, the VPN service should also have dedicated apps for the same devices or at least support them. If that’s not an option, an alternative method of manually setting up the VPN on your router must be on the table.
- Price-to-feature ratio. Just because the VPN for CBC costs a lot doesn’t mean it will give you everything you need. There’s no harm in trying cheaper options, especially if they offer all the right features and outstanding performance to boot.
How to watch CBC outside Canada
- Subscribe to the best VPN for CBC. Our top contender is NordVPN, which includes an extensive list of servers in Canada.
- Download the client and install it on the device of your choice
- Pick a Canadian server and connect to it
- Install the CBC Gem application or go to the official CBC website
- Browse the wide selection of content and stream anything you want!
Enjoy CBC streaming with a VPN
How to watch CBC in USA on different devices
As we discussed earlier, CBC television is available on many operating systems. The process of installing a VPN and accessing CBC differs slightly on every device, though. Luckily, we detailed each case for your convenience.
Watch CBC on PC
- Sign up for a reliable VPN. When it comes to Windows and Mac, NordVPN is the best VPN for both operating systems.
- Get the appropriate application for your OS and install it
- Select any server in Canada
- Navigate to the official CBC website
- Pick any show or movie you want to watch!
Watch CBC on phone
- Download the best VPN for either Android or iOS. NordVPN offers streamlined, user-friendly applications for both.
- Set up the VPN client on your phone
- Connect to a Canadian server
- Go to the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store and get the CBC Gem application
- Stream Canadian content at any time!
Stream CBC with a VPN on mobile
Watch CBC on Roku
- Subscribe to a router-compatible VPN. NordVPN is pretty easy to install and offers detailed instructions on how to do it.
- Download the app and manually configure the VPN on your router
- Once everything is up and running, pick a server in Canada
- Restart your Roku device and reconnect it to your TV
- Open Roku’s main menu, search for the CBC channel, and add it
- Explore the vast library of CBC!
Watch CBC on Apple TV
- Sign up for a VPN suitable for Apple TV. You can never go wrong with NordVPN, which supports a wide range of operating systems.
- Get the VPN software and manually set it up on your router
- Connect to any Canadian server
- Reboot your Apple TV device and insert it into your TV’s USB slot
- Look up the CBC application on the Search menu and download it
- Get some snacks, grab a drink, and enjoy some CBC!
Stream CBC with a VPN on Apple TV
Watch CBC on Android TV
- Subscribe to a trustworthy VPN that supports Android TV. NordVPN offers an Android TV application you can get right on this device.
- Boot up Android TV, navigate to the Google Play Store, and install the VPN app
- Log into your VPN account and pick a server in Canada you want to connect to
- Return to the Google Play Store, search for the CBC app, and download it
- Once the installation is complete, you’re free to enjoy sports, movies, music, and more!
Stream CBC with a VPN on Android TV
Watch CBC on FireStick
- Download a VPN compatible with Amazon Fire TV Stick devices. If you want a dedicated application for this device, NordVPN has the best one.
- Open FireStick’s main menu, then go to Apps > Categories > Utility
- Search for your VPN and install it, then launch the app once the process is finished
- Select a server in Canada
- Navigate to the Amazon App Store, search for the CBC Gem application, and add it
- Dive into any kind of content you enjoy on CBC!
Stream CBC with a VPN on FireStick
Can’t access CBC with a VPN: solutions
So, you followed the instructions outlined above to a T, but CBC remains inaccessible. And you’re getting this nice little message to boot.
Troublesome, yet not unsolvable – it’s more than likely the VPN is causing these issues. Here’s what might be happening and how you can fix it before running to customer support:
- Blocked IP. CBC bans VPN IP addresses if the system detects suspicious traffic on them, so it’s very likely you just got unlucky. Simply connect to another server from the list.
- IP or DNS leaks. Both IP addresses and DNS requests contain location data – if any is visible, you won’t be able to break through CBC’s geo-blocks. Perform a test to check whether it is the case and ensure all VPN security features are enabled in the settings.
- GPS doesn’t match VPN location. The GPS chip in your device also reveals your physical whereabouts – it would be best to disable GPS location tracking. If your CBC VPN has a GPS spoofing feature, you can also try utilizing that.
- Browser cookies leaking location. Stored in your web browser’s cache, this is yet another thing that betrays where you actually are. Clear the cache, restart your device and VPN, and access the CBC Gem website via incognito mode.
- Corrupted TAP drivers. If you’ve been trying to install several different VPNs on your routers, these probably glitched in the process. Delete the current TAP drivers and download a fresh batch.
If none of the above did anything, now is the time to get in touch with your VPN provider’s customer support. Besides further troubleshooting, you can also ask them whether their service is able to unblock CBC in the US in the first place. It can’t? Switch to the best VPN for CBC that can.
How to watch CBC in USA with a free VPN
The thing with free VPNs is that they are unreliable most of the time, especially when it’s time to unblock geo-restricted content. While subpar tools play into this, another elephant in the room is that most don’t have servers in the required countries.
Let’s look at CBC – you need connection points in Canada. Very few costless providers offer them and even fewer perform well. Out of the bunch, you could try these two:
- Hide Me VPN. The free version comes with a 10GB/month, 1 simultaneous connection, and a kill switch to protect your anonymity in case the VPN stops working.
- Windscribe. Subscribers to the free tier get 2GB/month, no device limit, and the ability to share files via P2P.
The catch here is that even if you manage to stream CBC content, you’ll run out of data pretty soon. And then you won’t be able to watch the things you want. You also have to be careful about what kind of provider you’re putting your trust into. Free VPNs are notorious for logging user data, injecting malware, and riddling their clients with intrusive ads that contain viruses.
Things don’t look too optimistic, no matter the angle. That’s why we recommend opting for reputable VPNs with trial versions. For example, NordVPN has a free 7-day trial that lets you utilize everything the service offers. Take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee, and you can use it scot-free for over a month.
What to watch on CBC
Blockbusters, TV dramas, news broadcasts, the latest music hits, sports coverage, and more – you name it, CBC Gem has it. Here, everyone, from young to old, can find something interesting to sink their teeth into, which certainly explains this platform’s popularity.
|Categories||What to watch|
|Animation||Shaun the Sheep, Shrek, The Breadwinner, The Legend of Sarila, Pirate’s Passage|
|Arts and entertainment||Big Things Small Towns, Bluebird, Henry VIII, Othello, Romeo and Juliet|
|Comedy||TallBoyz, Humour Resources, Just for Laughs, Workin’ Moms, Strays|
|Documentary||The Nature of Things, The Fifth Estate, Good People, Anyone’s Game, The National|
|Drama||Heartland, Murdoch Mysteries, Coroner, Pretty Hard Cases, The Porter|
|Reality||The Great Canadian Baking Show, Battle of the Blades, Still Standing, Dragon’s Den|
|Sports||NHL, CFL, NFL, MLB, NBA, soccer, golf, tennis|
|Movies||The VVitch, Room, Dune, Tick Tick… Boom!, Pig, West Side Story, Passing|
The complete list of video and audio material available on CBC can be found on the platform’s official website. See something you’ve been dying to watch? Get the best VPN for CBC and begin!
You should get your hands on CBC television, especially since it’s a free service with a little bit of everything for everyone. And don’t let the fact it’s technically unavailable outside of Canada stop you.
Subscribing to a premium VPN will grant you access to CBC in the US and other countries in moments. Just pick a provider, like NordVPN, connect to a Canadian server, and enjoy original programming. The best thing about this technology is that it ensures an excellent streaming experience and secures your devices in the process.
What’s something you’ve wanted to see for ages on CBC but couldn’t due to geo-blocks? Let us know in the comments below!
You may also like to read:
Watch Sky Sports in the US
How to get a UK IP address
How to change Snapchat location
Watch ITV in the US
How to watch beIN sports online
How to watch F1 TV Pro from anywhere
Watch the Great British Bake Off in the US
Watch Channel 4 in the US
How can I watch CBC for free?
CBC is free to watch for anyone with a Canadian IP address. If you live outside of this country, you’ll have to switch your IP to one of Canadian origin. Luckily, you can do this easily with the VPNs suitable for CBC.
Can I stream CBC in the US?
CBC isn’t available to stream in the US due to copyright laws and geo-blocks. You can bypass these restrictions with VPN technology and freely watch CBC in the US.
Can you watch CBC with a VPN?
Yes, you can watch CBC with a VPN. A reputable provider, like NordVPN, can easily bypass CBC’s geo-restrictions and grant you access to the Canadian streaming service.
How can I watch CBC outside Canada?
You can watch CBC outside of Canada with a VPN. This tool allows you to connect to a server in Canada, which changes your IP address to match your new virtual location. Once the platform recognizes that it’s the right one, you’ll have access to CBC’s entire library.
Does NordVPN work with CBC?
Yes, NordVPN works with CBC. In fact, it’s the best VPN you can utilize to stream CBC from anywhere. Subscribers get plenty of servers in Canada, excellent speeds thanks to the proprietary NordLynx protocol, and a set of powerful tools.