Each network-connected device, whether it’s a computer or mobile phone, gets a different IP address based on the country it’s located in. Websites use this address when checking where a visitor is coming from and if he’s eligible for certain services. For example, a visitor outside the United Kingdom can’t access BBC iPlayer without a UK IP address.
As you can imagine, this makes it difficult to watch British TV abroad without changing your IP address to a UK one. But how can you do that?
This is where VPN (Virtual Private Network) services come into play. It can redirect your web connection through a server in the United Kingdom, giving you a UK IP address. Read on to find out which providers are best and why.
How to get a UK IP address with a VPN – short guide
- Get a reliable VPN service provider. We recommend NordVPN, now 57% off!
- Download the application configured for your operating system and install it
- Connect to any server in the United Kingdom
- Enjoy exclusive UK content abroad!
Best UK IP VPNs: shortlist
- The best VPN for getting a UK IP address9.7
- VPN for getting a UK IP on unlimited devices9.5
- Affordable VPN with access to UK IP addresses9.1
- Security-focused UK IP VPN8.9
- Cheapest VPN with UK IP addresses8.4
Why should you use a VPN to get a UK IP address?
Although there are many ways of acquiring a UK IP address, using a UK VPN is the best method. First, you gain the benefit of encryption, ensuring your online activities remain private from prying eyes. Furthermore, virtual private networks use sophisticated technologies to guarantee minimal speed loss while rerouting your connection.
Best of all, most top-shelf VPNs grant access to an extensive range of countries for customers to choose from. That makes it the most versatile and worthwhile investment. And yes, I do mean that you’ll need to cough up some dough and avoid free UK VPNs if possible.
The most common reason for getting a UK IP address in the first place is unblocking British TV shows and exclusive channels. Besides that, hiding your true IP address grants anonymity from your ISP while browsing the web.
However, not all virtual private networks are made equal. Even if a provider has servers in the United Kingdom, you won’t be able to achieve your goals if your IP address is leaking. Therefore, it’s vital to pick a service with good security features. Luckily, we did the legwork for you and selected five worthy contenders for granting a UK IP address.
Best VPNs to get a UK IP address: detailed overview
These five VPNs are packed with high-quality servers across the United Kingdom and other countries. Besides that, they include a fair number of essential features for keeping customers secure against various digital threats. For example, each one is equipped with:
- A VPN kill switch
- Fast and secure tunneling protocols
- IP, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection
- Extensive device compatibility
- AES-256 encryption
- Bonus security features
Ultimately, each one is unique and warrants a deeper look into its features. Below you will find a short overview of each top UK IP VPN.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for getting a UK IP address
24/7 live chat, Email
- Exceptionally fast with NordLynx
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Dedicated IP addresses in the UK
- No router app
Customers will get the best IP-changing results if they go with NordVPN. The service provides over 400 servers in the UK, low latency, and reliable geo-block circumvention capabilities. Potential users can get familiar with it using the 7-day NordVPN trial.
Firstly, the full fleet consists of 5400+ servers across 60+ countries. The majority of the hardware is equipped with RAM-only technology for top-of-the-line data integrity and confidentiality. Additionally, mind-blowing connection speeds are guaranteed when enabling the NordLynx tunneling protocol, a proprietary version of WireGuard.
Besides shared servers, NordVPN offers dedicated IP addresses if you’re willing to pay extra. Location options include the UK, USA, Netherlands, Germany, and France. Moreover, your connections remain secure thanks to Threat Protection. This feature blocks numerous digital nuisances, such as ads, trackers, viruses, and malware.
Get started with this excellent service by investing $3.49/month. You may find alternative deals and prices by perusing NordVPN coupon codes.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – VPN for getting a UK IP on unlimited devices
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited connections
- WireGuard-powered speeds
- Static IP locations
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark VPN is a great option for changing your IP address and securing an unlimited number of devices at an affordable price. It offers London, Manchester, and Glasgow locations and doesn’t disappoint in terms of performance. Give it a shot using the 7-day Surfshark trial.
The complete network consists of 3200+ servers across 100+ countries, an impressively diverse selection. Moreover, the entire stack uses RAM-only server technology, providing zero opportunity for user data to end up in the wrong hands. And connections are basically flawless by combining WireGuard with Software Defined Networking.
With Surfshark, you can avoid the pitfalls of shared IP addresses by connecting to Static IP locations. That way, the websites you connect to won’t suspect anything since your IP address will remain the same. Besides, your web browsing experience will be free of ads and phishing attempts, thanks to CleanWeb.
Unleash the full potential of this VPN by signing up for only $2.30/month. You can claim the best discounts by using a Surfshark coupon.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN with access to UK IP addresses
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- Lacks WireGuard
Take a look at PrivateVPN if you’re looking for an extremely cheap method of changing your IP address to the UK. Plus, it’s fairly versatile and useful in multiple situations.
PrivateVPN doesn’t appear very impressive at first glance. The network has only 200+ servers in 63+ countries, considerably less than other services. However, the provider owns the entire fleet and can easily optimize it for what’s necessary. Plus, the combination of OpenVPN and High Quality Network provides impressive connectivity.
One PrivateVPN subscription permits 10 simultaneous connections. If that’s not enough, users can set up the VPN on an OpenVPN-compatible router. Meanwhile, the port forwarding feature ensures optimal P2P activities. Speaking of which, you can torrent without restrictions in all country locations.
Familiarize yourself with this virtual private network using the 7-day free trial. After that, pricing starts at $2.00/month if you have a PrivateVPN discount code and is secured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – security-focused UK IP VPN
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Limitless device connections
- Audited no-logs policy
- Fast connections with WireGuard
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish is a well-rounded VPN that can alter your IP address, unblock Netflix, and keep your devices secure against viruses. Plus, privacy is guaranteed because the service had its no-logs policy audited by a third party.
To start, IPVanish boasts an impressive 2000+ server network across 50+ countries, with over 100 being in the UK. The fleet is completely physical and owned by the provider to ensure accountability. Furthermore, connectivity between you and the servers is kept top-notch using the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Customers can use one IPVanish account to protect an unlimited number of devices. The VPN is compatible with desktop & mobile devices, plus Android TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Chrome OS, and even routers. Best of all, each long-term subscription includes the VIPRE antivirus software package.
Pricing plans begin at $3.99/month if you’ve prepared a valid IPVanish coupon. Customers have a risk-free month to get to know this provider, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – cheapest VPN with UK IP addresses
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Good free version
- Unlimited device connections
- Great for security and streaming
- No router configuration
Atlas VPN is a budget-friendly option for keeping your IP address in flux and online activities hidden. This provider has an exceptional price-to-performance ratio and is a top choice for frugal customers.
First off, Atlas VPN runs a fleet of 750+ servers across 37+ countries. Besides regular ones, users can connect to Streaming or Privacy Pro servers for easier access to geo-blocked video content or improved digital security. Either way, connection speeds won’t falter thanks to the modern WireGuard protocol.
The Atlas VPN feature arsenal includes SafeBrowse for keeping ads, trackers, and malware at bay. Additionally, SafeSwap will alternate your IP address periodically without disconnecting you. And if that’s not enough, Multihop+ will intermittently change your IP address and location while routing your traffic through multiple servers for enhanced security and privacy.
Interested users can start with the free plan. However, it doesn’t offer the UK as a connection option. You can unlock it by investing $2.05/month. And don’t forget to grab the best-possible discounts with an Atlas VPN coupon.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
What to consider when picking a UK IP VPN
You’re probably well aware that there are plenty of other VPNs with UK servers. You can choose them if you’d like, but I urge you to take a few minutes to analyze them thoroughly beforehand. After all, a well-performing and reliable VPN is more than just a handful of servers scattered worldwide.
Here’s a list of things we considered when putting this list together. Take these aspects into account when picking an alternative VPN to change your IP address to a UK one.
- Servers. Most VPNs have servers in coveted locations like the US and UK, although there’s no harm in double-checking. Besides that, figure out who owns the server hardware, the underlying technology, and if virtualization is used to expand the region selection.
- Speed. The connectivity of a VPN is influenced by the server network and available tunneling protocols. For example, a vast server fleet combined with WireGuard yields minimal speed loss. If you’re still unsure, check third-party VPN speed tests.
- Security. A VPN can guarantee user anonymity by having reliable security features to prevent IP leaks and other data exposure. Plus, they will protect you against other dangers like online trackers, virus-ridden ads, and malware.
- Compatibility. Practically all VPNs are compatible with desktop and mobile devices. But if your needs are greater, check what other apps are available. You’ll get the most bang for your buck by grabbing a router-compatible VPN.
- Price. Subscription cost isn’t everything in the virtual private network industry. Even cheap VPN services can do many things surprisingly well. Meanwhile, others can be overpriced and unreliable.
- Customer support. Last but not least, it’s vital to verify what customer support options are available. You never know when you might hit a roadblock and need expert assistance. In any case, 24/7 live chat is paramount.
UK IP VPN not working?
Let’s say you’re connected to a UK IP address and trying to unblock geographically restricted content. However, BBC iPlayer won’t budge, and you still can’t find that special British TV show on Netflix.
If that’s the case, your VPN might be running into some issues. No need to worry; there are a few potential fixes you can try.
- Switch to a different server. The first and easiest solution is to reconnect to another server. Whether the particular server is faulty or the IP address is blocked, this will immediately tackle the problem.
- Check for IP leaks. If multiple servers aren’t able to change your Netflix region or unblock other geo-restricted content, try checking for IP leaks on a website like dnsleaktest.com. After all, you can’t curb geo-blocking if your true location is exposed.
- Enable Stealth VPN. Perhaps a particular service is checking for VPN traffic. In that case, you should enable VPN-masking features, if available.
- Update the software. A virtual private network won’t work correctly if it’s out-of-date. Check for possible updates and try again.
If all else fails, contact customer support. They may have some more tricks up their sleeves. Otherwise, they’ll be able to tell you whether the VPN can even deal with a particular problem.
Can you get a UK IP address for free?
Perhaps you’re unwilling to invest in a paid service and need a free VPN with a UK IP address. Hate to break it to you, but it’s practically impossible to find a reliable option for this scenario.
First, let’s break down the main issues with the no-cost VPNs in general. They can be either completely free or unpaid versions of premium services. Either way, they’ll include some of these drawbacks.
- Handful of server locations
- Throttled connection speeds
- Limited or complete absence of security features
- Monthly or daily data caps
- Unreliable geo-block circumvention
- Excessive data logging
As you can see, no-cost VPNs have practically every kind of limitation imaginable. Even if you find a free UK IP VPN, it won’t unblock geographically restricted content or keep you secure. Instead, it will collect troves of data about you and sell it to compensate for the lack of a subscription.
But if your budget won’t allow a premium subscription and you only need one temporarily, consider VPNs with free trials. You can get the complete package for a limited time and switch providers once you’re done. Otherwise, don’t forget that each UK IP VPN provider we’ve mentioned has a money-back guarantee.
How to get a UK IP address on your device
You can get a UK IP address with a VPN on almost any device. However, the process will differ based on what platform you choose. We’ll provide you with a few general guidelines for changing your IP address on different devices. And if your device isn’t covered, you can always rely on manual VPN setup on a router.
How to get a UK IP address on PC (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Subscribe to a VPN with an app for your computer operating system. The most versatile provider is NordVPN
- Download the software from the provider’s website
- Install the VPN and log in
- Connect to a server in the United Kingdom
- Browse the web with a UK IP address!
How to get a UK IP address on mobile (Android, iOS)
- Purchase a mobile-compatible VPN service. My go-to choice is NordVPN
- Find the VPN on your device’s app store
- Download the app, install it, and login
- Connect to any UK server you’d like
- Enjoy top-notch security and a UK IP wherever you go!
Change your IP address on mobile
How to get a UK IP address on Android TV
- Choose a VPN compatible with Android TV. I’d recommend NordVPN as your TV-viewing companion
- Boot up your Android TV
- Search for the dedicated VPN application on the Google Play Store
- Download the software
- Connect to any server in the United Kingdom
- Watch British channels on Android TV!
Change your IP address on Android TV
How to get a UK IP address on Roku
- Pick a VPN that’s manually configurable on routers. Our top choice is NordVPN
- Find a guide on setting up your particular router with a VPN
- Set the new location to the United Kingdom
- Connect any device to the newly-configured network and check if the IP address changed to a UK one
- Reset your Roku and connect it to the router network
- Tune into British TV channels from anywhere!
Change your IP address on Roku
Alternative ways of getting a UK IP address
Even though a VPN is the easiest way to get assigned a UK IP address, you do not always need to use this method to access British content. Here are some alternative ways of getting a UK IP address:
- Proxy server. Utilizing proxies grants you the IP address of an intermediary server. The proxy acts as a middleman between you and the content you are trying to access. Unlike a VPN, however, your personal information will not get encrypted. Moreover, performance will dip significantly because proxies use older tunneling protocols.
- Tor browser. A web browser focused on your online privacy and security, Tor is essential for accessing the dark web. It works by redirecting your connection through multiple volunteer-operated encrypted nodes. You can set the end node to be from the UK, thus gaining a UK IP address each time you connect. However, this method greatly reduces connection speed and is unsuitable for streaming.
Although there are many potential ways of changing your IP to a UK one, using a VPN is the best and most reliable method. It guarantees security, privacy, and minimal connection speed loss. Customers can also use the same virtual private network service to get IP addresses from other countries.
What’s your preferred method of getting a UK IP address? And why do you need one in the first place? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
You may also like to read:
How to get a US IP address
How to get cheap flights with VPN
How unblock the Great British Bake Off
Best VPN for Spotify
Best VPN for Travel
Most secure VPN providers
How can I get a free UK IP address abroad?
There are no reliable ways of getting a free UK IP address abroad. For starters, most no-cost VPN services don’t offer United Kingdom server locations. Plus, they’re usually incapable of unblocking geographically restricted content, for example, BBC iPlayer. Your best option is to grab a VPN with a free trial or utilize a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How do I change my IP address to the UK?
You can change your IP address to the UK or another country by using a VPN. This software redirects your web connection through remote servers and makes it appear that you’re connected from those regions. You can use any VPN with UK servers to get a United Kingdom IP address.
How can I find out if my IP address changed to the UK?
You can verify your IP address online by checking websites like whatsmyip.com. If you’re connected to a VPN but can still see your original IP, your virtual private network is faulty and leaking your true location. You can avoid this issue by using a high-quality VPN service.
Which VPN has the most UK servers?
Not all VPNs disclose how many servers they have in a particular location. Therefore, it’s best to opt for a service with massive overall server fleets. For example, NordVPN has over 5400 servers across 60+ countries.
I don’t currently have one of the five options you suggest for a UK VPN, but I do need to be able to change my IP to UK regions, so I’ll look into NordVPN!
How come Nord has so many more servers than anyone else? I know it’s not just about the numbers but damn… They got a lot of them. I’m definitely using this vpn to change location to UK.
I want to change ip address to UK because I want Netflix UK. It has a few shows I want to see and I can’t from my location. Why don’t these big VPN providers offer some sort of trial run? Even 3 days would be enough for me to see what they can do. I would be much more inclined to buy such a service for an extended period if I could test it for free. Ultimately I guess I’ll have to get a month with one of the top ones and see what it can do.
Is it illegal to change your IP address to another country? I don’t want to do something stupid here. I live in Belgium and would like to find a way to change ip address to UK if that’s legal. Is it ok or am I going to get into trouble if I do something like this? Better safe than sorry.
Yes, it’s legal. There are no laws in Belgium preventing you from using a VPN and thus changing your IP address.
I was looking for a vpn to change location to UK and while there are plenty of them, most are too expensive. I mean their monthly plans are expensive and I don’t see myself going for a 1 or 2 year plan to reduce costs. I just don’t like to have to be tied down for such a long time. What’s the best month to month vpn out there? Anything around $5 monthly would do. I know Nord is probably a great one but that monthly price is killing me. I just want to get a uk ip address so I can unlock BBC iPlayer, that’s all. And I don’t want to pay a lot for this. Is that too much to ask?
I understand where you’re coming from. I felt the same way last year when I first heard about vpns. I wanted to get a UK ip address free of charge 😉 and found a UK ip address list but things didn’t work out as I expected. I realized that it was just too much of a hassle to make this work for free. Then I found out about NordVPN and while it was expensive I needed to try them so I got a month with them. I loved it! And then I decided it was worth it to spend $100 to stay secure online plus have access to all sorts of good stuff (Netflix US, UK, BBC iPlayer, etc) for 3 years! It just sounded like a great deal and I took the plunge. Best decision I made. I can torrent anything without problems or worries, access any site from the UK and US.
Probably the ideal solution for your situation is trying something like Windscribe VPN. This is a service that has the “Build a Plan” pricing option – you choose one server location – in your case, the UK – and pay $1/month per location. Windscribe is otherwise pretty good as well. Hope this helps!
Just subscribe to any vpn service, go to google and type in top 5 best vpn, i use cyberghost but there are a lot more to choose from but i would say don’t go for free if you are serious, once you subscribe you then have the option to use any country you want if they have servers over there. and US is always on their lists so no problem there.
Getting a UK address may not be the best option since the UK government has recently introduced a certain ban regarding Internet content…sad to see such a liberal country take these actions.
I’ve heard NordVPN is the best, I haven’t tried it yet but I think I will, I’m convinced. From what I’ve heard I can do almost everything with it (like Netflix or torrenting…). Thanks for the list.
I have been running an online business for 5 years and I must say, it is difficult to penetrate the UK market. I would be trying out one of these VPNs to see if I could penetrate the market there.
All over the world more people are choosing to acquire a UK based IP address for one reason or another and this could be, because may be they want to access GEO restricted website for banking purposes or they want to watch UK based TV like BBC, iPlayer, iTV or ever the British Netflix catalogue. PrivateVPN is the best actually. I recommend this one for my every virtual friend.