Netflix is among the top streaming platforms, housing a wide range of TV shows and movies. However, what kind of content you can tune into depends on your location. If you live in the US, you get the US library, those in the UK get the British one, and so on and so forth. While unfair, it’s all done in accordance to streaming licensing and agreements.
Our research has shown that the most effective way to change your location on Netflix is with a reliable VPN. Such software provides you with an IP address from your chosen country, letting you access the local content, Netflix library included. And it might potentially improve your stream quality by preventing ISP bandwidth throttling.
However, not every service is capable of bypassing Netflix’s geo-blocks. That’s why we tested various VPNs and ranked only those that work with the US, UK, Japan, Canada, France, and multiple other versions of Netflix. Read on to learn how to change your Netflix region and which VPNs are the best for the job.
How to watch Netflix from other countries with a VPN
- Download and install a tested Netflix VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 69% OFF
- Install the VPN on the device of your choice. For streaming peripherals like Roku, you’ll have to configure it on your router.
- Connect to a server in any country of which you wish to access local Netflix library
- Log into your Netflix account or create a new one
- Start streaming Netflix US, Netflix Japan, Netflix France, or any Netflix version you want!
Best VPN to change the Netflix region: shortlist
- The best VPN to change Netflix location9.6
- Netflix VPN with unlimited connections9.4
- They cheapest way to unblock Netflix libraries9.1
- Performance-focused VPN for Netflix8.7
- Netflix VPN with streaming-optimized servers8.5
Why do you need a VPN to change the Netflix region?
As unfair as it is, Netflix does not offer the same content libraries to all regions. People in the US see a vastly different movie & show selection than those who live in the UK, Argentina, Japan, etc. So, if you want to watch some local French TV series, you can blame licensing & distribution laws for not being able to.
Many streaming enthusiasts have tried various methods to get different Netflix locations, with varying success. From proxies to anonymous browsers and other online tools, very few guarantee access to the content you want. Unfortunately, even if you manage to unblock it, you won’t be able to watch Netflix from other countries for long because you’ll be caught. If you’re not armed with a trustworthy tool, that is.
Tested Netflix VPNs combat this issue with a single yet highly efficient method. Once you connect to a server, your real IP address gets hidden under a new one. This new IP corresponds with the country the connection point is based in, making it look like you’re from that location. And when Netflix recognizes this “fake” address, it gives you the appropriate video library.
Furthermore, VPNs implement measures to prevent leaks which could give away your true location. Some even have features that hide encrypted VPN traffic, helping users avoid detection. Then there’s unbreakable encryption that hides all your online activities from snoopers. It’s a great way to avoid ISP bandwidth throttling that usually messes up streaming.
NordVPN quickly unblocks the US, the UK, Japan, Korea, France, Argentina, Turkey, and many other Netflix libraries. And thanks to the fastest speeds in the industry, you’ll enjoy highest quality videos with zero buffering.
Best VPN for changing the Netflix region: overview
- NordVPN – best VPN for spoofing your Netflix location undetected
- Surfshark VPN – extra secure Netflix VPN with great performance
- Atlas VPN – budget-friendly VPN for Netflix location spoofing
- ExpressVPN – speedy Netflix VPN for quality streaming
- CyberGhost – great VPN for Netflix with a huge server list
As mentioned previously, not every service is able to get you access to Netflix’s US, UK, Germany, Korea, and many other libraries. As such, we tested 29 premium streaming VPNs to create a list of those that bypass Netflix location restrictions in mere seconds. Our team also paid close attention to such crucial factors as server networks, speeds, device compatibility, and features that allow for easier geo-block circumvention, such as Smart DNS.
1. NordVPN – top VPN to change Netflix region quickly
24/7 live chat, Email
- The fastest service
- SmartPlay for seamless streaming
- Meshnet for password sharing
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the best VPN to watch Netflix from other countries because this VPN housing 5800+ servers across 60+ countries, such a server selection nets you instant access to Netflix US, UK, France, Argentina, Korea, and plenty more libraries. And because the service is powered by the proprietary NordLynx protocol, which retains up to 93% of the initial speed, 4K UHD video quality is guaranteed.
This service comes with several handy features for streaming. Obfuscated servers let you hide all tracks of VPN usage by masking it as regular traffic, while Meshnet allows people from different locations to connect to the same IP, bypassing Netflix’s password-sharing restrictions. Finally, NordVPN offers SmartPlay that mixes Smart DNS technology with encryption, letting you change your Netflix region on all kinds of devices.
You can get NordVPN with a 69% discount or potentially less with a discount code. Of course, testing how well it works for spoofing your Netflix location is also possible with the 7-day free trial. And if you decide to subscribe, there’s no risk, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Netflix VPN with the largest country coverage
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- No device limit
- Smart DNS feature
- Plenty of features for a low price
- Some features cost extra
Another great VPN for changing the region on Netflix is Surfshark VPN. You’ll get almost every Netflix library out there with a fleet of 3200+ servers in 100+ countries. And the streaming experience will be lag-free, thanks to the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol. We were able to tune into regional content and enjoy seamless streaming.
Surfshark offers Camouflage and NoBorders modes for avoiding VPN detection. Then there’s SmartDNS for breaking down Netflix’s geo-blocks on various devices, streaming peripherals included. Plus, the service has plenty of other perks, like split tunneling, an ad & malware blocker, and MultiHop for double the encryption.
80% off, after using a Surfshark VPN coupon, is not much to pay to be able to change your Netflix country whenever you want. Taking out for a spin is also an option with the 7-day free trial. And when you do commit, rest easy with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – highly affordable VPN for location changing
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No router support
High-value at low cost is what Atlas VPN is all about. We easily changed our region on Netflix with the help of 1000+ servers across 49+ countries. Whether our team streamed US, Norway, or any other library, the videos were of HD quality with little to no buffering. The great implementation of WireGuard and streaming-optimized servers truly show their quality.
Moreover, Atlas VPN doesn’t neglect security. Users benefit from an ad & malware blocker (SafeBrowse), double VPN (MultiHop+), split tunneling, and a Data Breach Monitor. You can even become virtually untraceable with SafeSwap servers. Unfortunately, the service doesn’t support router configuration, but at least it has apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV.
Watch Netflix from other countries today for 86% less after using an Atlas VPN coupon. While there is a solid free version, it doesn’t have great server range for unblocking foreign content libraries. As such, you’ll be better off with premium subscriptions which are protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – solid VPN for changing Netflix location
24/7 live chat, email
- Lightway for speedy connections
- MediaStreamer for seamless streaming
- Solid security features
You can easily change the Netflix region with ExpressVPN, too. The sizable fleet spread across 105+ countries covers all major regions for a plethora of foreign libraries. To ensure the video experience remains buffer-free, we switched to the in-house Lightway tunneling protocol. Together with streaming-dedicated servers, it made streams sublime.
ExpressVPN subscribers benefit from many features. The built-in StealthVPN feature automatically masks all VPN traffic and split tunneling lets you customize encrypted traffic. This provider even offers MediaStreamer, a form of Smart DNS that allows using VPN software on devices that natively don’t support this.
For 49% off (with an ExpressVPN discount code), you can change your Netflix region in just a few clicks. There’s a free 7-day trial to take advantage of if you want to test it out beforehand. And if this VPN doesn’t satisfy your needs, a refund is always on the table, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of ExpressVPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – affordable VPN to change region on Netflix
24/7 live chat
- Dedicated streaming servers
- Unblocks multiple Netflix libraries
- Smart Rules for customizing VPN connection
- macOS and iOS have fewer features
As the name suggests, CyberGhost lets you change the region on Netflix without a trace. It’s quite easy, too, when the fleet consists of 10218+ servers in 100+ countries. Then there’s the mix of WireGuard and streaming-optimized servers that ensures lag-free streaming and easy geo-block bypassing due to built-in Smart DNS.
CyberGhost implements a few handy tools that are useful beyond changing your Netflix region. We’re talking about Content Blocker, which takes care of ads, trackers, and malicious websites, and Smart Rules for customizing how the VPN behaves in certain scenarios. Another neat perk is the anti-malware & antivirus tool.
Coming with a 84% discount, this provider is more than enough for spoofing your Netflix location. Just don’t forget to utilize a CyberGhost code before finalizing the purchase to get a better deal. And the 45-day money-back guarantee is there in case you need it. But it’s unlikely to happen after taking advantage of the 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
Best VPNs for changing Netflix region: comparison
|Can change Netflix region||✅Yes||✅Yes||✅Yes||✅Yes||✅Yes|
|Network||5800+ servers in 60+ countries||3200+ servers in 100+ countries||1000+ servers in 49+ countries||Thousands of servers in 69+ countries||10218+ servers in 100+ countries|
|Obfuscation||✅Obfuscated servers||✅Camouflage and NoBorders modes||❌No||✅Built-in StealthVPN||❌No|
|Supported devices||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku, Kodi add-on, routers||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, routers||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku, routers||Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, routers|
How we selected the best VPN to change the Netflix region
Our team tested 29 premium VPN services to find the ones that change the Netflix region in an instant. We disqualified those that couldn’t unblock foreign libraries or managed to do it, but were detected later on while browsing Netflix. Other research criteria also included:
- Global presence. Having as many servers in as many countries lets you access more foreign Netflix libraries. We’re talking about the US, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Brazil, Japan, Korea, and plenty of others. It also nets better connectivity, resulting in greater streaming quality and less stuttering.
- Optimal performance. Routing your internet connection through a VPN naturally slows it down, sometimes to a detrimental extent. However, we listed only the speediest services that don’t showcase any significant speed drops. In simpler terms, it means that Netflix videos won’t buffer indefinitely.
- VPN block bypassing. The company knows that a majority of viewers are using VPNs to change the Netflix region. That’s why there are certain anti-VPN measures put in place to prevent that from happening. Our top recommendations, however, have the tools to combat this, like obfuscation or StealthVPN.
- Broad device support. Like many other streaming platforms, Netflix is available on a wide variety of devices, from PCs to smart TVs and even consoles. Thus, we prioritized those that also have apps or support the same systems. And if that’s not the case, the VPN service should at least offer manual VPN configuration on routers.
- Affordability. Paying more doesn’t necessarily mean getting a better quality product. Or that it’s able to change the region on Netflix. Our top VPN list includes affordable options with lengthy money-back guarantees, in case you wish to get a refund.
How to change your Netflix region on different devices
While the instructions on changing the Netflix region are similar on all devices, we still decided to offer step-by-step guides for the most popular operating systems.
How to change Netflix region on iPhone
- Sign up for a VPN with global coverage. You can never go wrong with NordVPN, which has servers on all continents
- Download the VPN from the Apple App Store and install it
- Choose a server in the location that suits your Netflix needs the best
- Clear your iPhone’s cache
- Open Netflix and begin watching your favorite country!
How to change Netflix region on Android
- Subscribe to a robust VPN service. Our recommendation is NordVPN, the best VPN in the industry
- Download the client from the Google Play Store and install it
- Choose your desired server and connect to it
- Launch Netflix and start streaming content from any foreign location!
How to change Netflix region on Smart TV
- Select a router-compatible VPN. You can quickly & easily set up NordVPN on a wide range of devices
- Download the VPN and manually configure it on your router
- Scroll to your desired server location and click Connect
- Reconnect your Smart TV to the newly-secured network
- Boot up Netflix and watch anything you want!
How to change Netflix region on Roku
- Get a reliable VPN. NordVPN unblocks Netflix and other streaming platforms in just a few clicks
- Download the client and set it up on your router
- Connect to the server in a location of your choice
- Reboot your Roku device and connect it to the now secure network
- Peruse any foreign Netflix library your heart desires!
How to change Netflix region on gaming consoles
- Purchase a VPN that supports routers. We recommend NordVPN, now 69% off
- Configure your home router with a VPN connection
- Pick a server in your desired location
- Connect your PlayStation or Xbox to the VPN-enabled router network
- Access new Netflix content on your PS or Xbox!
How to change Netflix region on FireStick
- Subscribe to a Fire TV Stick-compatible VPN. NordVPN offers a dedicated application for FireStick devices
- Set up the VPN on your router
- Select a server in any location you want to connect to
- Connect your Amazon Fire Stick to the newly-secured network
- Stream any foreign TV show or movie on Netflix!
Why is my VPN not changing my Netflix region?
Alas, VPNs aren’t perfect, and it isn’t unusual to run into some issues from time to time. Especially if it’s your first time using this technology. No need to panic just yet – stay calm and do some troubleshooting instead. You’ll be able to stream content from your desired location in no time.
- Change the server. You’ll have trouble accessing different Netflix content if the server is overcrowded or down for maintenance. And since the platform doesn’t look kindly upon VPNs, you might have picked an IP address that is blocked. The solution is simple – connect to another server.
- Check for IP & DNS leaks. If your IP address or DNS requests are visible, Netflix detects them and bars you from regional content. We suggest testing whether this is the case by performing an IP and DNS leak test, cycling through the available VPN tunneling protocols, and turning on all security features.
- Clear web cookies. Those changing their Netflix region on PC must take an extra step and clear their browser’s web cookies from the cache. These contain information about your actual location.
- Reinstall TAP drivers. Installing multiple different VPNs on your router could’ve corrupted these drivers. It won’t hurt to delete the current ones and install a fresh batch.
- Contact customer support. Of course, the problem might be more technical and out of your control. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with your VPN provider’s support for answers and further troubleshooting steps.
None of the above helped? Maybe it’s time to switch to a reliable VPN service capable of changing the Netflix country without causing a headache.
How to fix the Netflix VPN or proxy error?
If Netflix detects that you’re using a proxy or a VPN to change your location, the site displays an appropriate error message warning you that you’re spoofing your IP address. If you’re OK with your local library, simply shut down the service that’s been causing this.
However, for accessing a library in another country, use a VPN that’s good at avoiding Netflix geo-blocking. You can find the list above in the article.
I’m still getting the proxy error
You may want to contact its customer support if you can’t unblock Netflix with a reliable VPN service. They should know the correct server in each country. However, sometimes the problem can be on your side. In such case:
- Disable location services on your browser or device
- Clean your browser’s temporary files, cookies, and cache
- Disable IPv6 on your device
- On Windows, open the command prompt and flush the DNS cache with ipconfig /flushdns
If none of that helps, contact your customer support again.
Countries with the largest Netflix library
Your options on what shows or films to watch on Netflix depend on your location. Say you’ve been living in the US your whole life, and recently you had to relocate to Australia for work. Chances are, you won’t be able to watch the same content.
In this case, you can use a VPN to virtually move back to the US or any other country that has your favorite movies and TV shows in its Netflix catalogs. In some places, you can even get Netflix cheaper. Anyways, let’s see which region is the best for Netflix.
Here is the list of the Top 10 countries with the biggest Netflix libraries:
|Slovakia||8,427 titles||Army of the Dead, The Final Destination, Deadly Class, Fool’s Gold, The Woman in the Window, Oxygen|
|Bulgaria||8,272 titles||Undercover, Hit & Run, Shaman King, Creed, Horrible Bosses, Crank, Snakes on a Plane|
|Latvia||8,092 titles||Centaurworld, Lola, Choice of Arms, Dead of Night, Navarasa, Pray Away|
|Estonia||8, 071 titles||City of God: 10 Years Later, The Last Mercenary, Blood Red Sky, The Last Letter From Your Lover|
|Iceland||8,012 titles||Resident Evil: Damnation, Home, Mr. Bean’s Holiday, Ever Been to the Moon?|
|Lithuania||7,994 titles||Shiny Flakes: The Teenage Drug Lord, Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning, Transformers: War for Cybertron: Kingdom|
|Romania||7,748 titles||Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami, Myth & Mogul: John DeLorean, Dr. Who and the Daleks, Kingdom: Ashin of the North|
|UK||7,482 titles||The Bang Bang Club, Hey Arnold! The Movie, Bride of Chucky, Saw III, Spaced, Malcolm X, The Young Offenders|
|Portugal||7,411 titles||‘76, Resort to Love, Bright Spin, Fantastic Fungi, Masters of the Universe: Revelation, Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop|
|Ireland||7,394 titles||Attack the Block, The Descent, Stonehearst Asylum, A Few Good Men, The Blair Witch Project|
Can I use a free VPN to change the region on Netflix?
To be fair, only some free VPNs can unblock Netflix. That’s because the provider needs to invest in new servers and IPs to allow choosing multiple regions. Therefore you shouldn’t be surprised that they let you pick from just a few countries. Still, you shouldn’t jump to a costless service for several reasons:
- Bandwidth limit. High-quality streaming means downloading many GBs, and such traffic costs money. That’s why you’ll get either a daily or a monthly limit (5 GB/month tops) that won’t be enough to follow your beloved series in HD unless you use more than a few providers.
- Slower speeds. If that wasn’t enough, expect slower speeds with a free VPN for Netflix. While the performance can be enough for streaming in HD, choosing a faraway country can complicate things due to latency.
- Lack of features. Such services tend not to include even the most basic protection features like encryption or IP & DNS leak protection. Thus, you can forget about such perks as Smart DNS, split tunneling, 24/7 live chat, etc.
Besides the obvious performance and unblocking issues, utilizing “free” VPN services is unsafe. Many providers are notorious for extensively logging user data and then selling it to various third parties. Some even go as far as injecting malware into their clients to collect even more info.
Instead, we recommend avoiding these pitfalls by opting for reliable VPNs with trial versions. Our top suggestion, NordVPN, offers a 7-day free trial you can combine with the 30-day money-back guarantee, letting you use the service for free for over a month. This way, you’ll be able to safely change your location and benefit from such perks as SmartPlay and Meshnet.
How to change the Netflix region without VPN?
Of course, there are alternatives when it comes to changing your country on Netflix. Just keep in mind that not all these methods are as effective as using a VPN.
- Proxies. These change your IP address to another one, allowing you to enter country-specific content. The problem is that proxies don’t encrypt internet traffic, which could be used to detect your actual location. Hence, you might not always unblock other Netflix libraries.
- Tor browser. It completely masks your online identity and is one of the most private browsers out there. But while it successfully unblocks Netflix, you won’t be able to get regional TV shows and movies since you can’t pick locations. Plus, it’s quite sluggish, so videos will lag.
- Smart DNS. Some VPN providers include a form of this feature as it unlocks access to various websites and streaming services. On its own, this option doesn’t mask your traffic nor IP address, thus changing your Netflix country will be tricky.
Netflix is such a popular streaming platform for a good reason. But the fact that some content is only available in certain regions, understandably, grinds the gears of most of its userbase.
The great news is that you can change your Netflix country with a tried & tested VPN. This software achieves it by masking your IP address and encrypting all internet traffic. Plus, it secures all your online activities, which is a nice touch.
And the best VPN to switch your virtual location is NordVPN. Testing has shown that it reliably unblocks Netflix US, UK, Japan, Korea, Germany, Argentina, and plenty of other libraries. Furthermore, with such perks as obfuscated servers, SmartPlay, and Meshnet, a seamless streaming experience is a guarantee.
Do you know any other ways to change the region on Netflix? Lets us know in the comments below!
How to change the country on Netflix?
The easiest and most effective way to change your Netflix region is with a VPN. Our top recommendation NordVPN offers thousands of servers across 60+ countries, with guaranteed access to UK, Korea, France, Japan, and many other libraries.
Can I change my Netflix region on the phone?
You can change your Netflix region on the phone by using a VPN, provided the service has an Android or iOS app. Of course, now all VPN providers are good at unblocking Netflix, so we advise choosing one from our best Netflix VPN list.
How do I change my Netflix UK to the US?
You can’t do that without moving to the US unless you use a VPN. The best services will help you unblock Netflix in dozens of countries. We recommend NordVPN, our #1 provider for streaming.
I live outside of Japan. Can I access its Netflix library?
Netflix has separate libraries for each country. However, there’s a way to avoid such geo-block. All you have to do is get a reliable VPN for Netflix, connect to a server in Japan and start streaming. If that doesn’t work, just try another server, and that should do the trick.
Is it legal to change the Netflix region?
It’s perfectly legal to change your Netflix region. You might run into some issues only if you’re using a VPN in a country where this technology is restricted, like China or Russia. Double-check whether VPNs are legal in your location before doing anything.
Can I use my Netflix account in another country?
Yes, you can use your Netflix account in a different country. Netflix can be accessed in over 90 countries around the world, with each location offering distinct local libraries. If you want fresh content, a VPN can help you access it by changing your IP address.
How do I change my Netflix billing country?
You can’t change your Netflix billing country unless you move to another location. Even then, you’ll have to cancel your account, wait until the billing period ends, and restart your account.
Can Netflix detect if I use a VPN?
Yes, Netflix blocks IP addresses associated with VPNs. Furthermore, if several dozen people access Netflix from the same IP address, the streaming platform flags it as suspicious as it indicates VPN usage. However, VPNs that regularly refresh their IP pool usually avoid getting blacklisted.
How to watch Netflix while traveling?
You can continue watching Netflix content from your home country with the help of a VPN. This software lets you connect to your original location or a completely different one to access geo-blocked Netflix libraries.
Can I get Netflix subtitles in my language?
You can find the available language options for subtitles in the ‘Audio & Subtitles’ menu whenever you’re watching something. But the selection is mostly limited to 5-7 most relevant languages based on your location and language settings.
Can Netflix block my account for using a VPN?
Netflix doesn’t ban people for using VPNs. While it does block IP addresses associated with VPNs, the platform doesn’t ban the users for utilizing VPN software. If you get a proxy error message stating that you can’t access content, simply connect to another VPN server and try again.