Do you take your online security and privacy seriously? Well, then, you may want to invest in a VPN service that offers anonymous payments. Even if you use credit cards, PayPal, or crypto, there’s a slim chance that you might get traced. Therefore, you’ll need to buy a VPN gift card or pay by cash if you want to stay truly anonymous.
Top VPNs that accept gift cards in 2022: shortlist
- The top service that accepts gift cards9.6
- Security-oriented VPN that accepts cash9.4
- Privacy-first VPN that accepts cash9.0
- Fast P2P VPN that accepts gift cards8.7
- VPN that offers gift boxes8.6
Want to buy a VPN with a gift card or cash? Follow our guide below!
How to get the best VPN gift card
- Decide which top-tier VPN you want to use. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Go to any local store, like Walmart, and find a hard copy of the service
- Pay for the VPN with cash or gift card
- Set up your account by following the tutorial inside the box
- Launch the app and pick a server of your choice
- Congrats! Now you can be a total ninja on the internet!
Why pay for a VPN with a gift card
Generally speaking, picking the best service and paying for a VPN with a gift card is a great idea. But just when you thought you may have found the perfect payment method, we’re here to tell you that “all that glitters ain’t gold.” In this world, everything has a dual nature. Thus, there’s always a positive and negative side.
- Hassle-free. You can buy gift cards in various places for cash (department stores and gas stations).
- Anonymity. No other data is shared except the requested gift card information (card number and PIN).
- Your money is safer. Gift cards have a fixed amount, so there’s no way a service can charge you for an automatically renewed subscription.
- No-brainer. You simply have to enter the card number and PIN code when purchasing a reliable VPN online.
- As good as cash. Paying with a gift card is like going to a retail store and buying something for cash.
- No automated recurring payment. It can be a bit of a nuisance to constantly repeat the whole process of buying or topping up gift cards.
- Regional limitations. It’s possible that your chosen VPN service only accepts US-based gift cards or non-US brands that use the same network, i.e., Paygarden. VPN services may not even offer this method based on your physical location unless it’s the US, Canada, the UK, or Germany.
- Different pricing. You might need to pay a bit more when buying a VPN with a gift card.
- Not refundable. It’s highly unlikely that a VPN provider would ever refund gift cards (and cryptocurrency). Keep that in mind and ignore the money-back guarantee. Instead, look for a VPN with a free trial or free version to test it first.
Paying with gift cards or cash may be the most anonymous option for you because cryptocurrencies are rather pseudonymous. You can also choose to buy a VPN with a gift card offline or online. Additionally, we recommend picking the best no-logs VPN for maximum confidentiality.
Best VPNs you can buy with gift cards or cash: overview
We’ve compiled a list of VPN services that accept gift cards or cash. Not all of them can be found among our most secure providers, but they are still great for protecting your privacy. Hopefully, more VPNs will start offering anonymous payment methods in the near future.
1. NordVPN – #1 VPN that accepts gift cards
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fastest VPN
- Excellent security & privacy
- Great for Netflix & P2P
- No router applet
NordVPN is the best provider overall. Luckily, it also accepts gift cards in the form of a subscription box. These are available in different stores, such as Amazon, Target, or Walmart. Of course, you shouldn’t forget to pay for it in cash.
Additionally, NordVPN is also the fastest VPN in 2022, thanks to the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. It also offers 5500+ servers in 59+ countries. Plus, the service is excellent for unblocking Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and other streaming platforms. Best of all, you’ll be able to watch things in 4K globally.
Moreover, it comes with nifty security features, such as Threat Protection. It will fend off trackers, malware, and obnoxious ads. Furthermore, you can use Double VPN to increase your security and privacy. And obfuscated servers will allow you to browse freely in highly restricted countries, like China or the UAE.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Proton VPN – security-oriented VPN that accepts cash
Email, knowledge base
- Amazing security credentials
- Great free version
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Few P2P servers
Proton VPN is a security-first provider that also offers an excellent freemium version. Not to mention, the provider accepts cash payments. For that, you first need to create a free account and upgrade it to a premium plan.
Located in Switzerland, a country without data retention laws, Proton VPN also sports a no-logs policy. Therefore, you should feel safe that your data won’t end up in the wrong hands. For extra protection, you can use SecureCore and Tor over VPN features.
In addition, Proton VPN has 1700+ servers in 64+ countries. Plus, the service uses the WireGuard tunneling protocol and VPN Accelerator technology to ensure stable and fast speeds. Moreover, Proton VPN unblocks Netflix and Hulu. Torrenting is allowed but on select servers only.
As for today, Proton VPN costs $4.99/month with a discount coupon. One account lets you connect 10 devices at the same time. Plus, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
3. Mullvad VPN – privacy-first VPN that accepts cash
- One of the most secure VPNs
- Anonymous account creation
- Fast speeds
- No live chat support
Even though Mullvad doesn’t have gift cards, it’s one of the most secure VPNs you can buy anonymously with cash. All you have to do is put the payment token and money in an envelope and send it to the provider.
This service comes with bank-grade encryption, a solid kill switch, and the fast Wireguard protocol. Also, Mullvad has a number of safety-oriented features, such as Bridge Mode, leak protection, and Shadowsocks. Not to mention, it covers 39+ countries with 858+ servers.
Unfortunately, it unblocks neither Netflix nor any other streaming service. However, it’s one of the best torrenting VPNs according to Reddit. That’s because it has a SOCKS5 proxy which allows you to protect and boost your P2P efforts without a VPN connection. Also, port forwarding will maximize your connectivity while downloading torrents.
You can get this server for a flat rate of $5.00/month. But you might get lucky and save some money with a special coupon. There’s no free trial, but you get the standard 30-day money-back guarantee. Lastly, each Mullvad account 5 simultaneous connections.
For a deeper investigation of Mullvad VPN, read our Mullvad VPN review.
4. TorGuard – fast P2P VPN that accepts gift cards
Live chat, email, 24/7 phone
- Great server list
- Excellent for torrenting
- 8 simultaneous connections
- Not very good for Netflix
TorGuard is a great anonymous VPN, which also accepts more than 70 gift cards from various brands via Paygarden. Some of those are Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and Lowe’s. With such a number of options, it should be easy to get the one you like most.
This service is known for excellent security that stems from NASA-grade encryption, reliable kill switch, and WireGuard tunneling protocol. Additionally, TorGuard offers a malware blocker, so you’ll be more secure on the web. Plus, you can use the Stealth VPN technology to browse in countries under heavy censorship.
Torrenting is where TorGuard shines. It’s allowed on all 3000+ servers in 50+ countries, and the speeds are some of the best. If that weren’t enough, features like split tunneling, SOCKS5 proxy, and port forwarding would prove to be helpful to many.
At the moment, you can get TorGuard for $3.89/month. You can also grab a discount coupon. In addition, there’s a 7-day free trial but no money-back guarantee unless you prove that you’ve just canceled another VPN subscription. Finally, every account has a limit of 8 simultaneous connections.
For a deeper investigation of TorGuard, read our TorGuard review.
5. Avast SecureLine VPN – beginner-friendly gift card VPN
FAQ database, Help forums, Free 24/7 consultation via phone
- Fairly cheap
- Good basic security
- Unblocks Netflix
- Keeps some logs
Avast SecureLine VPN is a decent service to protect yourself online. Plus, it’s one of a few browsers with a built-in VPN. Also, you can buy it as a gift box anonymously in most stores
The VPN covers 34+ countries with 700+ pieces of hardware. To ensure your security, Avast offers bank-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IP leak protection. Additionally, the service gives Avast One antivirus to further bolster your safety online.
Avast SecureLine VPN lets you stream Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, and other services. However, the service collects logs, so it’s not the most privacy-friendly service. Moreover, it lacks the WireGuard tunneling protocol, so the speeds are very mediocre.
You can grab Avast SecureLine VPN from the shelf or snatch a subscription online for $3.75/month. Moreover, a 30-day money-back guarantee will protect your plan. Or, if you don’t like commitments, try a 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of Avast SecureLine VPN, read our Avast SecureLine VPN review.
Gift card VPNs: comparison
Still can’t figure out which VPN you can buy with a gift card or cash? Well, here’s a quick side-by-side comparison:
|Anonymous payment options||Anonymous registration||Can bypass geo-blocks||Server fleet||Monthly price|
|NordVPN||Gift box, cash||No||Yes, most||5500+ servers in 59+ countries||$3.09/month|
|Proton VPN||Cash||No||Yes, most||1700+ servers in 64+ countries||$4.99/month|
|Mullvad VPN||Cash||Yes||No||858+ servers in 39+ countries||$5.00/month|
|TorGuard||Gift cards||No||Yes, a few||3000+ servers in 50+ countries||$3.89/month|
|Avast SecureLine VPN||Gift box||No||Yes, a few||700+ servers in 34+ countries||$3.75/month|
How to choose the best gift card VPN
If you want to pay for a VPN anonymously, you’ll have to do a bit of research to find out which services offer such a payment option. Additionally, there are extra must-have features that every solid gift card VPN should have. To save your precious time, we’ve listed them down below:
- Guaranteed privacy. A reliable VPN should never collect any logs. Moreover, it should be based outside Fourteen Eyes Alliance jurisdiction.
- Top-notch security. You should at least get NASA-grade encryption, a solid kill switch, and IP leak protection. Additionally, some providers also offer tracker blockers and antivirus software.
- Excellent global coverage. The more servers you have, the better. Plus, you should check out if there are any servers nearby for better speeds.
- Superb connectivity. A VPN shouldn’t reduce your speeds significantly. Therefore, grab a service that offers the WireGuard or Nordlynxt tunneling protocols. The fastest provider on the market is NordVPN.
- Quality-cost ratio. You shouldn’t overpay for a virtual private network. You can find a sublime VPN for less than $4.00/month.
- Compatibility & multiple connections. What’s the point if you can only use the service on one certain OS or gadget. Hence, pick a multi-device VPN with apps for all major operating systems.
How to buy a VPN with a gift card or cash
While it shouldn’t be the case with reliable services, some VPN providers may record your payment details. And, if the VPN company is forced by law to share user data, authorities could use this as a way to identify you and link you to specific web traffic.
In other words, buying anything online with a credit card or PayPal makes you vulnerable. These payment methods are far from anonymous and untraceable. In fact, just the opposite. So, how’s that sound when you want to buy a VPN to protect your anonymity?
No matter how little the chance is to be identified by your payment details in a criminal investigation, it’s still wiser to purchase a subscription anonymously. We recommend this method for journalists, activists, whistle-blowers, and anyone else whose lives might be at stake.
There are 2 completely anonymous purchase options for you to consider:
- Cash: buy a boxed version from a retail store
- Gift cards: buy a gift card from Amazon, Walmart, Starbucks, Target, and so on
Crypto vs VPN gift card: which one’s better?
Although more and more VPN providers offer Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies as an alternative option, it’s not as anonymous as gift cards or cash. You see, your crypto transactions might be traced if someone puts in the effort. While you can make the process safer by setting up your own node, it’s too expensive and technical for most users.
Therefore, if you want to stay completely anonymous and untraceable, we suggest paying for a VPN with a gift card. That way, no purchase information will be stored if you pay by cash. For example, you can purchase a NordVPN gift box at your local Target, Walmart, or Best Buy.
Buy a VPN with a gift card offline
Unfortunately, there’s only a handful of quality VPNs that you can buy offline with cash or a gift card. Moreover, providers often are not too keen on advertising such a possibility. Thus, it’s also possible that you won’t find such information directly on their website.
If something is sold for cash, well, chances are you can buy them with physical gift cards too. In any case, both methods are completely anonymous – no personal data is shared. Let’s take a look at some of the examples.
How to buy a NordVPN gift box
NordVPN is the best VPN overall that offers to buy the service in a retail box with cash or gift cards. It’s available in many popular stores, such as Target, Walmart, or Amazon. Most options are in the US, but you can buy in Canada, the US, and Germany too.
Here’s a step-by-step guide for getting NordVPN in a gift box:
- Go to your local store, i.e., Target, that offers NordVPN retail boxes
- Pay for the box with cash or a gift card
- Open the package and find a product key card
- Set up your account by following the tutorial inside the box
- Start using NordVPN and stay incognito!
However, the retail box versions only cover the 1-year subscription plan. If you want a better deal, we suggest visiting NordVPN and purchasing a plan online.
How to get Proton VPN with cash
Proton VPN accepts cash, but the whole process of getting the service might take a while. However, it’s well worth it considering the quality of this VPN and the privacy you get by choosing this payment option.
The provider accepts USD, EUR, and CHF. Don’t send any checks, money orders, or other non-cash payments. So, to buy Proton VPN with cash, do the following:
- Create a free Proton VPN account
- Write down your user Proton name and put it in the package with the money
- Send it to Proton headquarters, you can find the address on the support page
- Notify the Proton support about the incoming payment
- Your account credit will be topped up, and you can enjoy anonymity!
How to pay for Mullvad with cash
Mullvad is a great VPN that accepts old-school cash by post. They have a flat rate of $5.00/month, so just put as many banknotes (no coins!) as you want. We liked that Mullvad accepts a bunch of different currencies – EUR, USD, GBP, SEK, DKK, NOK, CHF, CAD, AUD, and NZD.
To pay for Mullvad with cash, follow these steps:
- Go to the Mullvad VPN website’s Pricing section
- Click on Get started and generate account button
- Write down your account number
- Choose cash as your payment method
- Put your account number and money in an envelope
- Send it to Mullvad headquarters
- Once they get the mail, your subscription will be approved!
How to buy Avast SecureLine VPN gift box
If you haven’t noticed walking around shops, Avast offers physical copies of the service. You can easily purchase one (or two if you feel like it) with an appropriate gift card or cash for maximum anonymity.
So, here’s how you can get an Avast SecureLine gift box:
- Head to any store that sells Avast SecureLine VPN physical copies
- Pay for the package with cash or an appropriate gift card
- Open the box and find a product key card
- Set up your account by following the tutorial inside the box
- Now no one can trace that you bought and have a VPN!
Buy a VPN with a gift card online
While paying offline with cash or a gift card is the safest option, doing it online won’t put your privacy in jeopardy either. Besides, this way you get more options to choose from.
For instance, Paygarden accepts over a hundred gift cards from brands like Best Buy, Dell, LOFT, or Uniqlo. However, some VPNs accept only Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Let’s take a look at one example.
How to buy TorGuard with a gift card
TorGuard is a great VPN that accepts many payment methods, including cryptocurrencies, Paymentwall, and gift cards, including one of their own. This service is popular among torrenting fans and those who want top-notch performance.
To get TorGuard anonymously, follow these steps:
- Visit the TorGuard website’s pricing page
- Choose your payment plan, billing cycle, and other info
- Pick gift card or TorGuard gift card option in the preferred method of payment section
- Click the Checkout button on the right
- Click on the Paygarden logo when presented with an invoice
- Choose your gift card brand and enter its details
- Start using TorGuard right away!
When buying a VPN, you should always ask yourself how much your anonymity means to you. Whether you use a credit card, PayPal, or even crypto, there’s always going to be a link between you and your account.
If you want to get a VPN anonymously, use either cash or a gift card. And if you want the best service, consider getting NordVPN. It offers excellent security, the fastest speeds, and plenty of extra features for a reasonable price. And you can get the gift box in the major US stores.
Have you ever bought a VPN gift card? Which one did you choose? Let us know in the comments!
You may also like to read:
How to bypass VPN blocks
Best Dark Web search engines
Is torrenting illegal in your country
How to unblock websites from anywhere
Best VPN for crypto trading
Most secure Web Browsers
How do I buy a VPN with a gift card?
Buying a VPN with a gift card is simple. First, see what kind of gift cards they accept. Then, buy the card online or in the store and use it to pay for the VPN of your choice. You can also check our step-by-step guides for buying with a gift card.
Can you gift a VPN?
Yes, you can gift a VPN. You can buy it and give the person its account details. However, NordVPN offers its service neatly packed in a gift box.
Can I use a gift card on NordVPN?
No, you can’t. However, you can find it boxed in popular retail stores, such as Walmart or Target. Here, you can pay for NordVPN with cash.
Why pay for a VPN with a gift card?
Purchasing a VPN with a gift card eliminates the possibility of being traced. This payment option doesn’t require any personal information, so it will be impossible to track you down if you pay by cash. For more reasons, you can check out the section above.
Is using a credit card for a VPN gift card safe?
No, we do not advise using a credit or debit card to purchase VPN gift cards. That’s because your payment details are stored and can be tracked down if needed. Therefore, we highly suggest using cash to buy gift cards for VPNs.