Do you take your online security and privacy seriously? Well, then, you may want to invest in a VPN service that offers anonymous payment, such as cash or gift cards. In this article, we name the best providers that accept such payment options in May 2022.
Top VPNs that accept gift cards in 2022: shortlist
- #1 service that accepts gift cards9.6
- Security-oriented VPN that accepts cash9.4
- Privacy-first VPN that accepts cash9.0
- Fast P2P VPN that accepts gift cards8.7
- Cheap VPN to buy with gift cards8.6
Why pay for a VPN with a gift card
Generally speaking, paying for a VPN with a gift card is a great idea. But just when you thought you may have found the perfect payment method, we’re here to tell you that “all that glitters ain’t gold.” In this world, everything has a dual nature. Thus, there’s always a positive and negative side.
- Hassle-free. You can buy gift cards in various places for cash (department stores and gas stations).
- Anonymity. No other data is shared except the requested gift card information (card number and PIN).
- Your money is safer. Gift cards have a fixed amount, so there’s no way a service can charge you for an automatically renewed subscription.
- No-brainer. You simply have to enter the card number and PIN code when purchasing a reliable VPN online.
- As good as cash. Paying with a gift card is like going to a retail store and buying something for cash.
- No automated recurring payment. It can be a bit of a nuisance to constantly repeat the whole process of buying or topping up gift cards.
- Regional limitations. It’s possible that your chosen VPN service only accepts US-based gift cards or non-US brands that use the same network, i.e., Paygarden. VPN services may not even offer this method based on your physical location unless it’s the US, Canada, the UK, or Germany.
- Different pricing. You might need to pay a bit more when buying a VPN with a gift card.
- Not refundable. It’s highly unlikely that a VPN provider would ever refund gift cards (and cryptocurrency). Keep that in mind and ignore the money-back guarantee. Instead, look for a VPN with a free trial or free version to test it first.
Paying with gift cards or cash may be the most anonymous option for you because cryptocurrencies are rather pseudonymous. You can also choose to buy a VPN with a gift card offline or online. We recommend getting NordVPN, the #1 service that accepts cash.
6 Best VPNs you can buy with gift cards: overview
We’ve compiled the Top 6 list of VPN services that accept gift cards or cash. Not all of them can be found among our best providers but are still great for protecting your privacy. Hopefully, more VPNs will start offering anonymous payment methods in the near future.
1. NordVPN – #1 service that accepts gift cards
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fastest VPN
- Excellent security and privacy
- Great for Netflix & P2P
- No router app
NordVPN is the best overall provider in 2022. Luckily, it also accepts gift cards in the form of a subscription box. These are available in different stores, such as Amazon, Target, or Walmart, spread across the US, Canada, the UK, and Germany.
Each NordVPN security box contains a product key card and a tutorial for setting it up. Therefore, it can be a nice gift to someone who needs online protection. Of course, you shouldn’t forget to pay for it in cash at the retail store as well.
NordVPN provides excellent security and privacy. It uses military-grade encryption, two kill switches, and a proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. Thanks to it, this service is also the fastest one in 2022.
Registered in privacy-friendly Panama, NordVPN also has an independently-audited no-logs policy, which means that none of your personally identifiable data can fall into the wrong hands. There are also extra safety features, such as Double VPN (multi-hop), Onion over VPN, and Obfuscated servers.
NordVPN unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and other streaming platforms. It also has P2P-optimized servers that guarantee fast downloads from almost anywhere. Moreover, split tunneling and SOCKS5 proxy will let you separate torrenting traffic from the rest.
Currently, the best NordVPN price is $3.29/month. There’s also a 7-day free trial (requires Android) and a 30-day money-back guarantee. One account lets you connect up to six devices simultaneously.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. ProtonVPN – security-oriented VPN that accepts cash
Email, knowledge base
- Amazing security credentials
- Great free version
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Few P2P servers
ProtonVPN is a security-first provider that accepts cash payments and Bitcoin. For that, you first need to create a free account and upgrade it to a premium plan. If you try to buy right away, you’ll only see credit cards and PayPal as your choices.
This service uses AES 256-bit encryption which is an industry-standard. Additionally, you get a kill switch and leak protection. ProtonVPN offers WireGuard tunneling protocol, so the speeds should be fast enough for everyday use.
Located in Switzerland, a country without data retention laws, ProtonVPN also sports a no-logs policy. Therefore, you should feel safe that your data won’t end up in the wrong hands. For extra protection, you can use SecureCore and Tor over VPN features.
ProtonVPN unblocks Netflix and Hulu. Torrenting is allowed but on select servers only. On the bright side, split tunneling will let you choose which apps use the encrypted tunnel.
As for today, ProtonVPN costs $3.29/month. One account lets you connect 10 devices at the same time. Even though this VPN has a great free version, it won’t let you test all servers and features. For that, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of ProtonVPN, read our ProtonVPN review.
3. Mullvad VPN – privacy-first VPN that accepts cash
- One of the most secure VPNs
- Anonymous account creation
- Fast speeds
- No live chat support
Even though Mullvad doesn’t have gift cards, it’s one of the most secure VPNs you can buy anonymously with cash. All you have to do is put the payment token and cash in an envelope and send it to the provider. Mullvad accepts different currencies, including US dollars, Euros, Great Britain Pounds, and Swiss Francs, to name a few.
This service comes with bank-grade encryption, a solid kill switch, and the fast Wireguard protocol. The company is based in Sweden, a Fourteen Eyes alliance member. However, that means nothing due to a strict no-logs policy and your anonymous payment.
Mullvad has a number of safety-oriented features, such as Bridge Mode (multi-hop), leak protection, and Shadowsocks. Unfortunately, it unblocks neither Netflix nor any other streaming service. It’s good for torrenting though, especially because of the SOCKS5 proxy and port forwarding.
You can get this server for a flat rate of $5.40/month. There’s no free trial, but you get the standard 30-day money-back guarantee. Each Mullvad account gets to connect five devices at the same time.
For a deeper investigation of Mullvad VPN, read our Mullvad VPN review.
4. TorGuard – fast P2P VPN that accepts gift cards
Live chat, email, 24/7 phone
- Great server list
- Excellent for torrenting
- 12 simultaneous connections
- Not very good for Netflix
TorGuard is one of the best VPNs overall, which also accepts more than 70 gift cards from various brands via Paygarden. Some of those are Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and Lowe’s. With such a number of options, it should be easy to get the one you like most.
This service is known for excellent security that stems from NASA-grade encryption, reliable kill switch, and WireGuard tunneling protocol. Additionally, TorGuard offers a malware blocker, Stealth VPN, and Shadowsocks. While based in the US, it has a no-logs policy which, together with an anonymous payment, will be enough to protect your privacy.
TorGuard is not known for its geo-unblocking capabilities. You’ll be able to watch Netflix but not other streaming platforms. On the other hand, there’s an option to get a dedicated IP.
Torrenting is where TorGuard shines. It’s allowed on all 3000+ servers, and the speeds are some of the best. If that weren’t enough, features like split tunneling, SOCKS5 proxy, and port forwarding would prove to be helpful to many.
At the moment, you can get TorGuard for $3.89/month. There’s a 7-day free trial but no money-back guarantee unless you prove that you’ve just canceled another VPN subscription. Finally, every account has a limit of 8 simultaneous connections.
For a deeper investigation of TorGuard, read our TorGuard review.
5. Private Internet Access – cheap VPN to buy with gift cards
Live chat, email
- Very cheap
- Privacy-friendly service
- Fast speeds
- Not good in China
Private Internet Access (PIA) is one of the most popular VPNs in 2022. It’s also favored by users who want to stay anonymous online because you can pay for it with 100+ gift cards. While this method is not mentioned on the pricing page, PIA accepts payments via Paygarden from Adidas, Cato, Guitar Center, and Starbucks, among others.
This service offers reliable security and privacy. PIA uses AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IP leaks. You can also benefit from the PIA MACE anti-malware tool, email breach monitoring, and Shadowsocks.
Private Internet Access is located in the US, which is far from privacy-friendly. However, a court-proven no-logs policy should be enough to convince users that their data will remain safe.
When it comes to streaming, PIA unblocks Netflix US and other libraries. However, the same cannot be said about the rest of the streaming platforms. Torrenting-wise, this provider is simply great – P2P is allowed on all servers plus there’s split tunneling, SOCKS5 proxy, and port forwarding.
The best PIA price is $2.03/month. It doesn’t offer a free trial, but the 30-day money-back guarantee should be enough to see if this VPN suits you. Besides, each account has a generous 10 device limit.
For a deeper investigation of Private Internet Access, read our Private Internet Access review.
6. Hotspot Shield – accepts Google and Apple gift cards
24/7 live chat
- Free version
- Great for Netflix
- Fast speeds
- Costs a bit too much
We end our list of VPNs with Hotspot Shield that accepts gift cards from Google Play Store and Apple App Store & iTunes. While it’s not an ideal solution, it’s still better than paying with your credit card or PayPal. Moreover, you can get these gift cards both online and offline.
Play Store gift cards are available on Amazon, PayPal Digital Gifts, and Startselect. If you fancy visiting a local retail store, pick from Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Wilko, and others. For App Store gift cards, you simply decide whether you want one by email or post.
Hotspot Shield uses military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and proprietary Hydra protocol. There’s also an anti-malware tool installed on their servers, available even to the free version users. This VPN is based in the US but has a no-logs policy and a clean reputation.
You can use Hotspot Shield for unblocking streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Hulu, or BBC iPlayer. It’s pretty fast, so watching in HD or 4K is entirely possible. Torrenting is allowed on all servers, but we missed features like SOCKS5 proxy or port forwarding.
Hotspot Shield costs $7.99/month. There’s a free version and an elongated 45-day money-back guarantee. One account can be shared with five devices at the same time.
For a deeper investigation of Hotspot Shield, read our Hotspot Shield review.
How to buy a VPN with a gift card or cash
VPN providers may record your payment details. And, if the VPN company is forced by law to share user data, authorities could use this as a way to identify you and link you to specific web traffic.
In other words, buying anything online with a credit card or PayPal makes you vulnerable. These payment methods are far from anonymous and untraceable. In fact, just the opposite. So, how’s that sound when you want to buy a VPN to protect your anonymity?
No matter how little the chance is to be identified by your payment details in a criminal investigation, it’s still wiser to purchase a subscription anonymously. We recommend this method for journalists, activists, whistle-blowers, hackers, and anyone else whose very life might be at stake.
There are three anonymous purchase options for you to consider:
- Cryptocurrency: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dash, and more
- Cash: buy a boxed version from a retail store
- Gift cards: buy a gift card from Amazon, Walmart, Starbucks, Target, and so on
Although more and more VPN providers offer Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies as an alternative option, it’s not as anonymous as the other two. While you can make the process safer by setting up your own node, it’s too expensive and technical for most users who want to buy a VPN as a gift. That’s why we will focus on how to buy VPN software with a gift card or cash.
Buy a VPN with a gift card offline
Unfortunately, there’s only a handful of quality VPNs that you can buy offline with cash or a gift card. Moreover, providers often are not too keen on advertising such a possibility. Thus, it’s also possible that you won’t find such information directly on their website.
If something is sold for cash, well, chances are you can buy them with physical gift cards too. In any case, both methods are completely anonymous – no personal data is shared. Let’s take a look at some of the examples.
How to buy a NordVPN gift box
NordVPN is the best VPN overall and the only one that offers to buy the service in a retail box with cash or gift cards. It’s available in many popular stores, such as Target, Walmart, or Amazon. Most options are in the US, but you can buy in Canada, the US, and Germany too.
Here’s a step-by-step guide for getting NordVPN in a gift box:
- Go to your local store, i.e., Target, that offers NordVPN retail boxes.
- Pay for the box with cash or a gift card.
- Open the box and find a product key card.
- Set up your account by following the tutorial inside the box.
- Start using NordVPN!
Of course, your anonymity comes at a price. Usually, the retail box versions only cover the 1-year subscription plan.
How to get ProtonVPN with cash
ProtonVPN accepts cash but the process itself is a bit complicated. However, it’s well worth it considering the quality of this VPN and the privacy you get by choosing this payment option.
To buy ProtonVPN with cash, do the following:
- Create a free ProtonVPN account.
- Contact customer support either by email ([email protected]) or contact form.
- Include your login name and desired premium plan.
- Wait for customer support to contact you!
How to pay for Mullvad with cash
Mullvad is a great VPN that accepts old-school cash by post. They have a flat rate of $5.40/month, so just put as many banknotes (no coins!) as you want. We liked that Mullvad accepts a bunch of different currencies – EUR, USD, GBP, SEK, DKK, NOK, CHF, CAD, AUD, and NZD.
To pay for Mullvad with cash, follow these steps:
- Go to the Mullvad website’s Pricing section.
- Click the Get started – generate account button.
- Write down your account number.
- Choose cash as your payment method.
- Put your account number and cash in an envelope.
- Send it to Mullvad headquarters.
- Once they get the mail, your subscription will be approved.
And here are some critical don’ts:
- Don’t send coins, checks, or anything that’s not banknotes
- Don’t use registered mail
- Don’t send large sums of money
Buy a VPN with a gift card online
Anonymity is the key to a reliable VPN service and for your protection too. While paying offline with cash or a gift card is the safest option, doing it online won’t put your privacy in jeopardy either. Besides, this way you get more options to choose from.
For instance, Paygarden accepts over a hundred gift cards from brands like Best Buy, Dell, LOFT, or Uniqlo. However, some VPNs accept only Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Let’s take a look at some of the examples.
How to buy TorGuard with a gift card
TorGuard is a great VPN that accepts many payment methods, including cryptocurrencies, Paymentwall, and gift cards, including one of their own. This service is popular among torrenting fans and those who want top-notch performance.
To get TorGuard anonymously, follow these steps:
- Visit the TorGuard website’s pricing page.
- Choose your payment plan, billing cycle, and other info.
- Under preferred method payment, pick gift card or TorGuard gift card.
- Click the Checkout button on the right.
- When presented with an invoice, click the Paygarden logo.
- Choose your gift card brand and enter its details.
- Start using TorGuard right away!
How to buy PIA with a gift card online
Private Internet Access is cheap, secure, relatively fast, and gives access to Netflix. What’s more, PIA accepts gift cards, which is great for your privacy. There are other payment methods as well, including cryptocurrencies.
Let’s focus on making the gift card payment now:
- Visit the dedicated PIA page for buying with gift cards.
- Scroll down until you see a button Get VPN Access. If you have a PIA gift card, choose Redeem gift card instead.
- You’ll be redirected to Paygarden. Here you can choose the gift card and see how many days’ worth of subscription you’ll get.
- Enter your gift card number and pin and click Check balance.
- Start using Private Internet Access!
How to get Hotspot Shield with a Google or Apple gift card
Hotspot Shield is a fast VPN known for its in-house Hydra tunneling protocol. At the same time, it’s great for Netflix and other streaming platforms. This service doesn’t accept cryptocurrencies, meaning the only way to buy it anonymously is using a gift card from Google Play Store or Apple.
Here’s how to buy Hotspot Shield anonymously on Goole Play Store:
- Go to the Play Store gift cards page.
- Buy either an online or in-store gift card.
- Install the Hotspot Shield free version from Google Play Store.
- Purchase the full version with your gift card
- Start using Hotspot Shield premium!
A step-by-step guide for buying Hotspot Shield with an Apple gift card:
- Visit the Apple gift card page.
- Choose your delivery method (email or post).
- Select your preferred design and amount of money.
- Log in with your Apple ID or buy as a guest.
- Download Hotspot Shield’s free version from App Store.
- Upgrade to premium using the gift card.
- Enjoy Hotspot Shield premium!
When buying a VPN, you should always ask yourself how much your anonymity means to you. Each service has different security and privacy credentials, such as tunneling protocols or logging policies. However, if you buy it with a credit card or PayPal, there’s always going to be a link between you and your account.
If you want to get a VPN anonymously, use either cash or a gift card. And if you want the best service, consider getting NordVPN, now 60% off. It offers excellent security, the fastest speeds, and plenty of extra features for a reasonable price.
How do I buy a VPN with a gift card?
Buying a VPN with a gift card is simple. First, see what kind of gift cards they accept. Then, buy the card online or in the store and use it to pay for the VPN of your choice. You can also check our step-by-step guides for buying with a gift card.
Can you gift a VPN?
Yes, you can gift a VPN. You can buy it and give the person its account details. However, NordVPN offers its service neatly packed in a gift box.
Can I use a gift card on NordVPN?
No, you can’t. However, you can find it boxed in popular retail stores, such as Walmart or Target. Here, you can pay for NordVPN with cash.
Ethan is a security researcher and digital privacy advocate. He spends his time unraveling various anonymity and security tools, plus contributing to open-source projects. Otherwise, he keeps a low profile by hiking or cycling around the countryside.