Spotify is one of the most popular music-streaming apps in the world, boasting 422 million active users. If you want to listen to the latest releases or enjoy a quality podcast, this is the go-to service. Unfortunately, it’s not everyone’s first pick simply because Spotify isn’t available everywhere.
And even if you can access the platform, some content is geo-restricted due to licensing laws. However, there is a simple fix for this issue – Virtual Private Networks (VPNs). Connecting to another country will unblock Spotify and grant you access to the whole service. Read on to find out about the best Spotify VPNs for the job.
Best Spotify VPN: shortlist
- The best VPN for Spotify9.6
- Spotify VPN with top-notch privacy9.4
- Spotify VPN with a free version9.2
- Affordable VPN for Spotify8.8
- VPN for Spotify with the largest server network8.6
How to use Spotify with a VPN
Why do you need a VPN for Spotify?
Despite being a global service, Spotify is still unavailable in many countries due to geo-blocks. Russia, China, and Pakistan are just a few of the many regions where you won’t be able to download the app. On a smaller level, some workplaces and schools restrict it to decrease distractions.
Ever encountered grayed-out songs or entire albums while scrolling through your favorite artist’s discography? Well, you can’t listen to them because they aren’t available in your location due to copyright laws and regulations. Some music labels don’t want one country or another to access select tracks.
It works like this – Spotify detects your IP address as you launch the app or web version. And once it estimates your actual location based on it, the system decides whether you can use the services or not. If the answer is yes, it automatically opens the appropriate regional library.
It is not a permanent issue if you subscribe to the best VPNs for Spotify. These tools utilize unbreakable encryption to protect your online traffic while changing your IP to another country’s, depending on your server choice. You click a few buttons, and that’s it – you’ve unlocked Spotify’s full potential.
Best VPNs to unblock Spotify: detailed list
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Spotify with the fastest speeds in the industry, excellent geo-block bypassing capabilities, and a powerful tool package
- Surfshark VPN – Spotify VPN with top-notch privacy, no device limitations, and the biggest global reach country-wise
- Atlas VPN – Spotify VPN with a free version, unlimited simultaneous connections, and user-friendly mobile apps
- PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for Spotify with low latency, Application guard, and anonymous payment options
- PureVPN – VPN for Spotify with the largest server network, Wi-Fi security for public networks, and an independently-audited no-logs policy
Since song and album availability depends on your region, the Spotify VPN must have as many servers in as many countries as possible. It will also ensure you can download and access the service if it’s blocked in your location. Moreover, strong privacy measures will keep you safe and anonymous anywhere you go.
The latest tunneling protocols guarantee smooth playback, so it’s worth considering some of the fastest VPN services that support them. Lastly, the more simultaneous connections, the merrier, especially if you want to share Spotify with your family and friends.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Spotify
24/7 live chat, Email
- Wicked fast
- Great for streaming and torrenting
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
The best VPN for Spotify is NordVPN. Not only is it hailed as the fastest one in the market, but this service is also packed with robust security features that will keep you safe at home and on the go. Whether tuning in to the latest album releases or just surfing the web, military-grade encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch increase your anonymity.
This VPN boasts a massive network consisting of 5800+ servers in 60+ countries. Moreover, Spotify is available in most listed regions, so you’ll never be lacking in the music department. Picking the in-house NordLynx protocol ensures no audio stuttering or buffering will ruin the experience.
NordVPN has dedicated apps for major operating systems, and SmartPlay lets you unblock geo-restricted content on devices that don’t support VPN software natively. It’s excellent news for those who’d rather use Spotify on their Smart TV or consoles. And if the 6 simultaneous connections aren’t enough to cover everything, you can set it up manually on your router for full coverage.
Entering a NordVPN discount code during checkout lowers the price to just $2.99/month. You can always try the 7-day free trial before subscribing or commit risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Spotify VPN with top-notch privacy
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Robust security tool roster
- WireGuard-fuelled speeds
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another great VPN for Spotify is Surfshark VPN, which comes with no device limit. You can connect as many devices as you want and benefit from enhanced protection. It has all the essential tools plus a few neat extras, like Camouflage and NoBorders modes for bypassing heavy online censorship.
The sizable server fleet of 3200+ servers scattered across 100+ countries is more than enough to get the full Spotify experience. The next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol never lets speeds be less than excellent, and the Nexus upgrade ensures stable connectivity throughout.
Surfshark VPN device support includes desktop, mobile, and Android TVs. And if that’s not enough, the Smart DNS feature helps you pass geo-blocks on multiple other devices with a Wi-Fi connection. Moreover, there are browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge if you prefer to use the web version of Spotify.
Coming at $2.21/month if you try a Surfshark VPN coupon, this provider is a worthy investment. If the service doesn’t meet your expectations, you can always get a refund with the 30-day money-back guarantee. That won’t be likely, though, especially after testing the 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – Spotify VPN with a free version
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Best free version
- No device limit
- Great mobile applications
- No router configuration
Presenting the cheapest VPN for Spotify on this list – Atlas VPN. It’s a solid choice for gaining access and unlocking content on countless platforms restricted due to location. Plus, it has all the right tools to stop snoopers from tracking you online and a malware blocker called SafeBrowse.
The sizable network of 1000+ servers in 49+ countries covers all the regions you need for a complete Spotify experience. Out of the available tunneling protocols, I recommend picking WireGuard if you’re after smooth audio playback with Atlas VPN.
As for device support, the provider covers all primary platforms, plus Amazon Fire TV Stick and Android TV. But you can’t use it on devices that don’t support VPNs since there’s no Smart DNS feature or the ability to install the client on your router. The service somewhat makes up for it with unlimited simultaneous connections.
If you don’t want to pay more than $1.64/month for a subscription, try using an Atlas VPN code during checkout. And remember that the 30-day money-back guarantee is right there if the VPN doesn’t live up to its promises. The free Atlas VPN version is also an option, albeit it’s pretty limited server-wise.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for Spotify
24/7 live chat
- User-friendly applications
- Great for bypassing geo-blocks
- Excellent price-to-feature ratio
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
Spotify enthusiasts can also benefit from PrivateVPN, which excels at circumventing geo-blocks imposed on various platforms. As the name suggests, your privacy is ensured with top-of-the-line security features as you access technically off-limits content. Moreover, the generous device limit allows you to connect up to 10 devices simultaneously.
Although 200+ servers in 63+ countries might not seem like much, don’t be fooled – it has all the locations you need for Spotify. Furthermore, the provider owns the whole fleet and buys internet capacity straight from the source. What does it mean for you? Lower latency and faster speeds for a seamless music experience.
Besides the usual platforms, you can also use PrivateVPN on Android TV and Amazon Fire Stick. Full household coverage is also available by setting it up on your router. Sadly, the tool list has no Smart DNS or similar features.
Pay only $2.00/month by applying a PrivateVPN coupon before finalizing the subscription. The 30-day money-back guarantee covers you if you change your mind later on. And remember that you don’t have to purchase it immediately – take advantage of the 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
5. PureVPN – VPN for Spotify with the largest server network
24/7 live chat
- Humongous server list
- Broad device compatibility
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
Get access to anything you want on Spotify and other platforms with PureVPN. It’s one of the few providers with a no-logs policy verified by an independent party and powerful protection tools to boot. What’s more, every tier gets Wi-Fi security which boosts safety on public networks – useful for music listeners constantly on the go.
This Spotify VPN has one of the largest server networks, with a staggering 6500+ servers spread across 71+ countries. And it’s certainly not lacking in the performance department since the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol is available on all plans.
PureVPN supports a vast range of devices, from popular platforms to Android TV, Amazon Firestick, Chromebook, Raspberry Pi, and more. 10 simultaneous connections should also be enough to cover what you need; if not, you can always set up the VPN on the router.
Enter a PureVPN discount code, and your subscription total will only be $2.08/month. Take advantage of the 7-day trial ($0.99) before the purchase, or dive head-on with the 31-day money-back guarantee to catch you if you don’t like what you get after all.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
How to unblock Spotify from anywhere
- Pick a Spotify VPN with a wide-reaching server network. Most people find NordVPN’s server list truly extensive, with suitable connection locations on all continents.
- Get the VPN application dedicated to your device and set it up
- Log into your VPN account and connect to a Spotify-supported country
- Voila – you’re free to explore Spotify’s music library!
Where is Spotify available
Albeit Spotify is the most music-streaming service worldwide, you can’t really say it has an absolute global reach. Not when it’s still unavailable in some locations.
The current Spotify-supported countries, according to the region, are as follows.
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eswatini, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Georgia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Macao, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam
Åland, Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Ascension, Austria, Azores, Balearic Islands, Belarus, Belgium, Bermuda, Bosnia, British Virgin Islands, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Cayman Islands, Ceuta, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Melilla, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Montserrat, Netherlands, New Caledonia, North Macedonia, Norway, Pitcairn Islands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Réunion, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Helena, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Tristan da Cunha, Turkey, Turks and Caicos Islands, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Wallis and Futuna
American Samoa, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guam, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Northern Mariana Islands, Panama, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands (Navassa Island, Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Atoll, Wake Atoll), United States Virgin Islands
Argentina, Aruba, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Sint Maarten, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
Australia, Bonaire, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Saba, Samoa, Sint Eustatius, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
If you reside in one of the unsupported regions, like Russia or China, your best bet is to use a Spotify VPN to connect to any country listed above. Keep in mind that not only does the library differ according to location, but subscription prices as well if you’re interested in Spotify Premium.
How to change Spotify region
- Subscribe to the best VPN for Spotify. NordVPN will fulfill all your Spotify needs.
- Download the application on the device of your choice and install it
- Log into your account
- Connect to a server located in your preferred country, and that’s it!
- FOR PREMIUM USERS: navigate to your Account settings in Spotify, click Update next to your payment method, select Change country and pick a new one from the list.
Why Spotify might be blocked
Naturally, Spotify could be blocked for several reasons:
- Geo-restrictions. As mentioned several times by now, Spotify does not offer its services in certain countries. The platform determines your general location via your IP address, and if you happen to live in an unsupported region, you aren’t allowed to access it. You can bypass this by hiding your IP.
- Licensing issues. I’ve also touched upon this earlier: music labels and relevant third parties are legally allowed to determine where certain tracks are available and where they are not. Not entirely fair for the end-user, but at least it’s a minor issue easily circumvented with VPNs.
- Network-side bans. School or workplace network administrators tend to block Spotify purposefully. In learning environments, the intent is to reduce potential distractions among students, and some even go as far as restricting access to VPN technology, too. In a work setting, Spotify usually goes against company policies.
- Firewall or antivirus software. These programs aren’t perfect, and they sometimes block Spotify after mistakenly flagging it as malware. In this case, thankfully, the fix is easy & quick – all you need to do is whitelist the streaming platform in the settings.
How to use a VPN for Spotify on a phone
- Get a VPN with user-friendly mobile applications. Even less tech-savvy users find NordVPN’s mobile apps easy to use and navigate.
- Install the appropriate app for your iPhone or Android. Most, if not all, premium VPN providers offer dedicated applications for both operating systems.
- Sign in to your VPN account, make sure all security settings are toggled on, and connect to a country of your choice
- Download the Spotify app from your respective App Store or open it if you already have it
- Create a Spotify account or simply sign in
- Now you’re free to roam Spotify and discover all it has to offer!
Spotify VPN not working
Can’t access Spotify with a VPN? There are several quick fixes you can try to solve the problem:
- Whitelist Spotify. Either the firewall or your antivirus software is mistakenly identifying Spotify as malware. Disable both and see if you can access the music platform then. If yes, turn them back on and whitelist the service in the settings.
- Change the server. The VPN server you’re connected to might be down for maintenance or simply overcrowded, messing up your ability to enter Spotify. Try another one and restart the streaming platform just in case.
- Sign out of all devices. It’s more relevant if you’re using Spotify on multiple devices – the system might still be flagging your actual location based on these other active connections. Sign out of all devices and only utilize one at a time with the VPN.
- Reinstall Spotify and VPN. One, the other, or both might be bugged out, resulting in all these issues. Double-check whether you have the latest versions, get them if you don’t, and reinstall the Spotify and VPN apps if updating them doesn’t do anything.
- Contact VPN customer support. You won’t get any help from Spotify’s people since VPNs aren’t exactly their area of expertise. Luckily, your provider might know what’s up, and professionals will guide you through further troubleshooting.
Another possibility is that your current Spotify VPN just isn’t up to the task. Well, you can always switch to a service that works with Spotify without a hitch.
Free VPN for Spotify
Free VPNs aren’t worth the trouble, especially when you end up paying with your privacy & security instead. While not all costless providers indulge in less-than-stellar practices, an alarming majority of them:
- Track your every movement while you’re connected to the VPN, create a profile with your online habits, and sell this data off to any third party
- Riddle their clients with intrusive advertisements, and some even go as far as to inject them with spyware, keyloggers, and other malicious software meant to monitor you
- Don’t offer the essential tools meant to keep you safe, like proper encryption, IP and DNS leak protection, or a basic kill switch
Not every service is bad to the bone, per se. That’s why I’d like to highlight some of the best free VPNs that do right by their users. Besides Atlas VPN, you should also look into:
- Proton VPN. Free server locations include the US, the Netherlands, and Japan. There are no data caps, and users get 1 simultaneous connection per account along with VPN Accelerator to boost speeds and stability.
- Hide Me VPN. Free server locations include the US (East & West), Canada, and Germany. The data is capped at 10GB/month, and users get 1 simultaneous connection per account along with Stealth Guard, which allows them to route VPN traffic through select apps only.
Not everyone wants to be held down by limitations, though, which is understandable. A solution for this would be getting free trial versions of reputable VPNs. These grant access to the complete tool suite and server list to do what you want to until the trial ends. After that, no one’s stopping you from signing up for another one with a different provider.
Spotify is an exemplary music streaming service with a library that slowly evolves to match your taste the more tracks you listen to. Sadly, not everyone can access their favorite songs or the platform in general due to various restrictions.
A VPN is a must for a complete and unhindered Spotify experience. NordVPN and other premium providers take care of the issue by simply masking your IP address. They also make all internet activities much safer, and enhanced protection never hurts.
Has using a VPN with Spotify boosted your music listening experience? Let us know in the comments below!
How do I unblock Spotify at school?
Subscribe to the best Spotify VPN and download the application on your device. Connect to the server closest to you, and that’s it, you’ve unblocked Spotify at school. The VPN encryption hides your IP address, allowing you to enter platforms usually blocked on the network.
Does Spotify block VPNs?
No, Spotify doesn’t block VPNs, and using such technology doesn’t violate the platform’s Terms of Service. You can freely utilize a VPN to access regional libraries and better subscription prices.
Does NordVPN work with Spotify?
Yes, NordVPN works with Spotify and is the best VPN for this streaming platform. You get some of the fastest speeds in the industry, thanks to NordLynx, a robust security tool package, and the SmartPlay feature that unblocks restricted content on devices that don’t support VPN technology.
Is there a way to get Spotify Premium cheaper?
Yes, you can get a cheaper Spotify Premium subscription by connecting to a country with a lower price. The easiest way is to utilize a VPN, then go to your account settings and update your region in the payment options.
Which free VPN is best for Spotify?
The best free Spotify VPN is Atlas VPN. You don’t have to create an account to use it, there’s a generous 10GB/month data cap, and the available server locations include Amsterdam, Los Angeles, and New York.