Online discourse in Egypt is heavily monitored under the new anti-terrorism laws since the Arab Spring. This mass surveillance can result in people getting arrested for expressing their political or other unapproved beliefs.
Whether you’re an Egyptian resident or simply ticking its attractions off your bucket list, you must invest in a virtual private network (VPN). It’s a service that conceals your identity by connecting you to a remote server and encrypting your connection to make it untraceable.
To help you find the best VPN for Egypt, we’ve made a list of top-notch services that are incredibly well-suited for use in this country.
Best VPN for Egypt: shortlist
- Affordable and fast VPN with Egyptian servers9.6
- The most secure VPN for Egypt9.5
- Cheapest VPN for Egypt9.2
- Egypt VPN with exceptional privacy8.9
- VPN for Egypt to fight off censorship8.4
How to install the best VPN for Egypt
Why do you need a VPN for Egypt?
Netizens worldwide are distinguishable by their IP address. Internet service providers (or ISPs) assign these numbers to their customers based on their country of residence. For example, web users in Egypt have Egyptian IP addresses. Crucially, IP addresses aren’t static or attached to specific devices, meaning you can get a new one each time you connect to a different network.
Thankfully, there’s no need to travel anywhere to get a foreign IP address. Instead, you can connect to a reliable VPN service, which redirects your entire online traffic through servers in remote areas. This maneuver hides your current location and makes it appear that you’re located wherever your chosen VPN server is.
You can use this to your advantage and get around geographical restrictions, which limit the availability of services based on your location.
For example, Egyptians traveling abroad will notice that their favorite online publications are no longer available. Luckily, this issue can be resolved by enabling a VPN with servers in Egypt. Best of all, you can apply this principle to change your Netflix region and watch movies or TV shows normally unavailable in your country.
On the other hand, hiding your IP address improves your online privacy and makes it harder to track you. Not to mention that your online activities are completely obfuscated against surveillance with top-of-the-line encryption. Most importantly, a VPN can help maintain access to the internet if the government opts for mass censorship and internet shutdowns.
Best VPNs for Egypt: overview
Customers can use the location-changing and anonymity benefits of a VPN in a wide variety of ways. However, each use case requires different features from the virtual private network. For example, streaming enthusiasts will prioritize fast connection speeds and wide-reaching server networks. Meanwhile, privacy fans prefer a solid no-logs policy and bonus security features.
For this article, we compiled a diverse selection of VPNs suitable for Egypt. Some don’t necessarily have servers in Egypt but offset that with other security perks. Learn more about them below and choose one that best suits your needs.
1. Surfshark VPN – the best VPN with Egyptian IP addresses
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited connections with one account
- Excellent speed with WireGuard
- Good for online security and streaming
- Some features cost extra
Looking for a trustworthy and well-performing provider with Egypt VPN servers? Then Surfshark VPN is the perfect fit for you! It has an excellent selection of security features at affordable prices. Best of all, you can get a risk-free 7-day Surfshark trial on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
Surfshark boasts a wide-reaching network of 3200+ servers across a whopping 100+ countries. Unsurprisingly, the service achieves such impressive numbers with the help of virtual servers. Whichever location you choose, connection speeds will remain excellent when WireGuard is enabled.
Getting around VPN restrictions with Surfshark is an effortless endeavor, thanks to NoBorders mode. Additionally, you can periodically change your location by enabling the IP Rotator tool. Plus, your online escapades will be free from ads and trackers once CleanWeb is turned on.
Prices start at $2.30/month if you have a Surfshark discount code at your disposal. Don’t forget that each plan includes a 30-day money-back guarantee as a safeguard against regret.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
2. NordVPN – the most secure and confidential VPN for Egypt
NordLynx, OpenVPN, IKEv2
24/7 live chat, Email
- Lightning-fast with NordLynx
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Blocks ads, trackers, and malware
- Lacks servers in Egyp
NordVPN is an excellent option for unrivaled digital security in Egypt. The only downside is the absence of servers in the country, meaning it can’t unblock exclusive Egyptian content. However, it’s perfect if you need peak connectivity and unwavering cybersecurity. See for yourself using the 7-day NordVPN trial.
Customers gain access to 5800+ servers across 60+ countries. Options include specialized locations for torrenting, VPN masking, and connecting through multiple servers. Furthermore, all NordVPN hardware uses RAM-only tech to ensure zero personal data on hard drives. Meanwhile, connection speeds are kept top-notch with the extraordinary NordLynx protocol, which is based on WireGuard.
Unlike its competitors, NordVPN secures its users on all fronts with the Threat Protection feature. This tool blocks ads, trackers, malware, and can scan your device for malicious files. Moreover, the service’s no-logging claims are verified through multiple independent audits.
Use a NordVPN coupon at checkout to unlock approachable $3.49/month subscription prices. No need to hesitate because you can always turn back using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – budget-friendly VPN for protection in Egypt
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Solid free plan
- WireGuard-powered speeds
- Limitless device connections
- No router firmware
Freedom of speech and protection against cyber threats shouldn’t cost a fortune. If you agree, consider Atlas VPN as your go-to affordable VPN for Egypt. And although it lacks servers in the region, it makes up for it with solid performance and protection features. You can even familiarize yourself with the provider using the free plan.
The budget-friendly provider operates a fleet of 1000+ servers in 42+ countries. The network includes specialized Streaming and Privacy Pro locations. The former is self-explanatory, while the latter provides SafeSwap (connections from multiple IPs) and MultiHop+ (rerouting traffic through multiple VPN servers) options.
You won’t notice Atlas VPN running in the background because the service runs on the blazing-fast WireGuard protocol. Additionally, you can use one account to secure an unlimited number of devices. The service has apps for computers, mobile phones, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV devices.
Invest as little as $1.82/month to reap the benefits of this excellent provider. Be sure to peruse other Atlas VPN deals before committing. And if you’re still unsure, consider the free plan or 30-day money-back warranty strategy.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. Proton VPN – Egypt VPN with exceptional privacy
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPsec, Stealth
Email, knowledge base
- Excellent speed over long distances
- Limitless free plan
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Pricier than the competition
Journalists and activists require a tried and tested VPN to stay out of the authorities’ sight. And no service fits that description better than Proton VPN. It’s a popular choice among protesters during times of unrest and even has a reliable free plan without data caps. However, the premium plan is definitely worth the price if you care about quality.
Paying Proton VPN customers can choose from over 3000 servers across 69+ countries. You’ll find specialized options for P2P, streaming, and even Tor over VPN. If that’s not enough, Secure Core servers reroute your connection through multiple locations for improved security.
Proton VPN has an impressive array of perks for ensuring maximum connectivity. Firstly, you have the modern WireGuard tunneling protocol for mind-boggling speeds. Additionally, it’s enhanced with the proprietary VPN Accelerator technology, which removes any inefficiencies in data transmission. Finally, the server hardware won’t hold you back because it supports 10 Gbps connections.
Snag a Proton coupon code and purchase the VPN plan for only $4.99/month. Don’t let buyer’s remorse set in, and take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re having second thoughts.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
5. VyprVPN – trustworthy VPN with excellent security
WireGuard, Chameleon, OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec
24/7 live chat
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Swift with WireGuard
- Independently audited
- Above-average price
Another worthwhile option is VyprVPN. The Swiss-based provider offers VPN servers in Egypt, WireGuard-powered connections, and excellent tools for bypassing censorship.
VyprVPN commands a fleet of 700+ servers in 64+ countries. The service has loads of tunneling protocols to choose from, including the proprietary Chameleon protocol. It effectively nullifies online censorship while periodically changing your IP address to prevent tracking.
Customers can use one account to protect up to 10 different devices. The service is compatible with an exceptional variety of devices and includes obscure gadgets like Anonabox, Blackphone, and QNap. Alternatively, you can configure the service with DD-WRT, AsusWRT, or OpenWRT routers.
Don’t forget to grab a VyprVPN coupon code when checking out potential subscription plans. Prices start at $5.00/month and are insured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of VyprVPN, read our VyprVPN review.
Best VPNs for Egypt: side-by-side comparison
Here’s a side-by-side comparison of the essential difference between our recommended VPNs for Egypt.
|Surfshark||NordVPN||Atlas VPN||Proton VPN||VyprVPN|
|Servers||3200 servers in 100 countries||5800 servers in 60 countries||1000 servers in 42 countries||3000 servers in 69 countries||700 servers in 64 countries|
|Protocols||WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2||NordLynx, OpenVPN, IKEv2||WireGuard, IKEv2||WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPsec, Stealth||WireGuard, Chameleon, OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec|
|Money-back guarantee||30 days||30 days||30 days||30 days||30 days|
How we picked the best VPN for Egypt
We didn’t compile our Egypt VPN list randomly. Instead, we decided on some essential criteria by which we would conduct a selection process. After that, we filtered out the poor performers via rigorous testing, after which we were left with five best VPNs for Egypt. Below is a general rundown of the aspects by which we picked these VPNs.
- Server network with options near Egypt. As the name suggests, a VPN for Egypt must have servers in the land of the Pharaohs (or at least nearby). Providers with larger server fleets are ranked higher because they can comfortably accommodate more users and grant more IP addresses.
- Connection speeds. You’ll want minimal speed loss when connecting to your desired location, however far it may be. This scenario is possible if the VPN service supports fast and modern tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard. Consider independent VPN speed tests if you’re looking for proof of performance.
- Extra security features. Any worthwhile VPN must include a kill switch and DNS leak protection. However, industry leaders provide extra protection against virus-infected ads, unwelcome trackers, convincing phishing attempts, and other forms of malware.
- Privacy practices. It doesn’t take much effort to claim to be a no-logs VPN provider. Some buyers will want a service with independent audits that verify that their data is handled properly.
- Subscription price. Most people aren’t willing to pay for a premium VPN service, especially when there’s a slim chance to find a free VPN with Egyptian servers. As such, we picked providers with affordable prices and top-notch performance in many areas.
- Application diversity. Contemporary people own a wide range of devices, all of which require added digital security. Which means VPNs with an extensive arsenal of apps are ranked higher since they’re extra versatile.
- Customer support options. Virtual private networks can appear complicated if you’re unfamiliar with the software. That’s why we picked providers with excellent customer service options for assisting newcomers.
How to get an Egyptian IP address
You’ll need an Egyptian IP address if you wish to access local content while traveling abroad. Unsurprisingly, not many VPNs have servers in the country since the government doesn’t necessarily support services that undermine its surveillance efforts. However, that’s not a problem if a service is using virtual Egypt VPN servers.
We suggest Surfshark as the top provider with servers in Egypt. Follow these steps to get an Egyptian IP address.
- Subscribe to a VPN provider with Egyptian servers. Our top recommendation in this regard is Surfshark VPN
- Install the VPN application on your intended device
- Log in and connect to a VPN server in Egypt
- Securely browse the web with an Egyptian IP address!
VPN not working in Egypt: potential solutions
Many organizations try to limit the effectiveness of VPN software by blocking their server IP addresses. In extreme cases, they restrict any encrypted traffic, rendering all VPNs ineffective. Naturally, oppressive governments follow the same practices to restrict free speech and access to the uncensored internet. This state of affairs can result in your VPN not working in Egypt.
Luckily, the most secure VPNs aren’t toppled so easily, especially if you follow the best practices. Try some of these tricks if you’re having trouble utilizing your VPN in Egypt.
- Check for IP and DNS leaks. You won’t be protected against monitoring if even a sliver of information is peeking through. Plus, you’ll be unable to bypass geo-blocking if your true location is apparent. That’s why you should always check for leakage with third-party tools like dnsleaktest.com
- Switch to another server. Perhaps the IP address you’re connecting from is flagged and blocked by the online service you’re using. You won’t know for sure unless you try reconnecting to another server.
- Enable Stealth VPN. The most security-enhancing VPNs can make VPN connections appear as average HTTPS traffic. This capability is commonly referred to as Stealth VPN and can bypass VPN blocks even in China.
- Update your software. You’ll have the best chances of taking down digital borders if your tools are up-to-date.
- Use a proxy or browser extension. VPN app doesn’t grant you the results you need? Try a VPN browser extension or proxy instead. However, keep in mind that proxies aren’t as secure as encrypted VPN tunnels.
- Ask customer support. Reach out to customer service specialists if your well of ideas has run dry.
What you can access with a VPN for Egypt
Arguably, the most popular use-case of VPNs is changing your country of origin and unblocking regional television channels. After all, a VPN for streaming is a low-cost way of getting more bang out of your video streaming service subscriptions.
Alternatively, you can use a virtual private network while traveling to continue watching content exclusive to your home country. For example, Egyptians abroad will have a hard time watching these TV channels without a VPN for Egypt.
- CBC Extra
- Nile TV
- ON E
On the other hand, changing your location with a VPN in Egypt unlocks countless websites the Egyptian government blocks. This includes news websites like Al Jazeera and other foreign publications. But make sure your VPN connection is airtight to prevent exposure and further issues with local authorities.
Best free VPN for Egypt
Frugal users might be looking for a free VPN that works in Egypt. However, we advise against this fruitless search because no-cost VPNs are ill-equipped to deal with Egyptian restrictions. Plus, they have other usability issues, such as:
- Data caps. Since free VPNs run on paper-thin budgets, they limit users in every conceivable way. The most apparent restriction is monthly or daily data caps, preventing data-intensive activities like video streaming or online gaming.
- Throttled speeds. You’ll also be blessed with limited bandwidth to ensure that paying customers get the best possible connectivity.
- Minimal server options. Finding a trustworthy zero-cost VPN with servers in Egypt is practically impossible. Even the most reliable free VPN services limit themselves to American and European countries.
- Subpar security features. In the best case scenario, you’ll have to rely solely on a VPN kill switch and DNS leak protection. However, you’ll still be vulnerable to malware and other threats.
- Potential data logging. The worst free VPNs log your online activities and sell that information to advertisers or even authorities.
If these issues don’t dissuade you, we recommend Proton VPN as the best free VPN in Egypt. It provides solid security and isn’t bogged down by data caps. Of course, this is offset by the lack of P2P or streaming support.
Conversely, you can opt for a free trial VPN to experience the complete benefits package without commitment. You’ll be happy to hear that even the best Egypt VPNs offer risk-free testing options. So don’t hesitate to try them out right now and commit only when you’re ready.
A secure and reliable VPN for Egypt is essential if you’re a proponent of free speech. Additionally, you need one to get around geographical restrictions and access regional content while traveling elsewhere. Besides that, you need one to protect your online activities against malicious actors.
Don’t neglect your cybersecurity and purchase Surfshark VPN, the best VPN for Egypt. It’ll keep you protected and unlock Egyptian IP addresses for gaining access to regional content.
Can you say from experience which VPN works in Egypt? Share your tips and tricks with the rest of us by leaving a comment!
What is the best VPN for Egypt?
Surfshark VPN is the best VPN for Egypt. It provides excellent connectivity, top-notch privacy, and protection against various digital threats. It even has servers in Egypt, allowing you to get an Egyptian IP address and unlock exclusive content while traveling.
Which VPNs have Egyptian servers?
Our top VPN recommendations with Egyptian IP addresses are Surfshark, Proton VPN, and VyprVPN. These providers have reliable security features, excellent connection performance, and affordable prices.
Which free VPN has an Egypt server?
Unfortunately, there aren’t any trustworthy free VPNs with servers in Egypt. As such, your best course of action is to grab a trial of a premium VPN with Egyptian server locations. Our top contenders (NordVPN and Surfshark) offer 7-day free trials to potential clients.
Does Egypt allow VPN?
Yes, it’s legal to use VPN technology in Egypt. However, you need to use an extremely secure service if your goal is accessing censored content. After all, the Egyptian government has outlawed a lot of online services and prosecutes journalists who express controversial political opinions.
How do I get a VPN for Egypt?
Firstly, you need to sign up for a well-performing Egypt VPN. After that, simply download the appropriate application for your device, sign in, and connect to your desired server location. Don’t forget to enable extra security features like the kill switch to prevent IP leaks.