Since its inception in 2015, Discord has been the go-to communication platform for gamers worldwide. At first, it was a more convenient way for teammates to discuss battle strats. Today, Discord boasts 250 million users and is used to build communities, share media, participate in voice chat, and more.
“Sadly, Discord is not invulnerable to hacking attempts despite utilizing the necessary security tools.”
Furthermore, the service is banned in several places, like China and the UAE, due to internet censorship. Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are a must for those wishing to avoid these issues. Plus, they help avoid unreasonable Discord IP bans if you were hit with the ban hammer. Read on to find out about the best VPNs for Discord.
Best VPN for Discord: shortlist
- The best VPN for Discord9.7
- Discord VPN with unlimited connections9.3
- Affordable VPN for Discord9.1
- Discord VPN with no virtual servers8.7
- Free VPN for Discord8.5
How to use a VPN on Discord
- Subscribe to a robust VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Install the client on your device
- Connect to a server most suited for you
- Chat safely on Discord!
Why do you need a VPN for Discord in 2022?
While much has been done security-wise, Discord still remains vulnerable. Hackers can read your messages if you’re connected to a shared network with a web proxy, for example. Blame the lack of end-to-end encryption on texts for that.
Those wishing to remain anonymous will be disappointed to learn that Discord collects user IP addresses and other device identifying information. IPs reveal your general location and are used by governments and corporations to profile you. That’s the reason you’re getting suspiciously targeted ads and such.
Then there’s the problem of being able to use Discord wherever you want. Deemed a distraction, many schools and workplaces have restricted this app on their networks. On a larger scale, some governments have banned Discord because they can’t monitor their populace through it. We’re looking at you, China.
The easiest solution to all these problems is getting your hands on the best VPNs for Discord. They encrypt all online traffic with an unbreakable cipher, making you and what you do essentially invisible to everyone. What’s more, you’ll finally be able to use Discord where it’s blocked and even bypass IP bans dished out by server moderators.
5 best VPNs for Discord: detailed list
- NordVPN – The best VPN for Discord
- Surfshark VPN – Discord VPN with unlimited connections
- PrivateVPN – Affordable VPN for Discord
- IPVanish – Discord VPN with no virtual servers
- Atlas VPN – Free VPN for Discord
Despite its growing popularity, Discord is still primarily used for communication while teaming up with your gamer buddies. Which is why you should combine the app with a fast VPN for gaming. They ensure excellent connectivity and decrease the likelihood of lag or glitched calls during intense matches. And since no one should be collecting data about you, the provider must uphold a strict no-logs policy.
Bank-grade encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch significantly increase your anonymity by hiding all identifiable information, so never overlook them. A wide-reaching server fleet also makes sure you can access Discord from anywhere without significant performance reductions. Let’s dive into the most suitable providers with all this in mind.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Discord
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx-fuelled speeds
- Expansive server list
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
If you’re looking for the fastest VPN for Discord, NordVPN will be right up your alley. Hailing from privacy-friendly Panama, this provider includes excellent security & privacy-ensuring tools in its roster. What’s more, users can pay with cryptocurrencies or cash if they don’t want their online purchases tracked.
Bypassing geo-restrictions is easy as pie when you can connect to 5500+ servers across 60+ countries. Lag or dropped calls will be a thing of the past with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. To top it off, NordVPN offers RAM-only standard servers which don’t store any data, so the authorities won’t be getting anything if they request user info.
Those residing in countries where using a government-banned VPN puts a target on your back can utilize Obfuscated servers to hide such traffic. And suppose Discord isn’t the only thing you want to unblock. In that case, you’ll be happy to know this provider has no trouble circumventing restrictions of popular streaming platforms like Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, etc.
But wait, there’s more – NordVPN, plus 6 simultaneous connections, can be yours for only $3.29/month. If you enter one of the available NordVPN discount codes, that is. Check what you’re getting via the 7-day free trial, or subscribe risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Discord VPN with unlimited connections
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Top-notch privacy tools
- WireGuard-powered speeds
- Great against restrictions
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another Discord VPN worth your time is Surfshark VPN, operating from the Netherlands, a country with no data retention laws. Boasting plenty of extra security features, it’s just what you need to keep yourself safe under wraps at home and in public. Just grab a subscription and leave no traces while paying with Bitcoin, Ether, or Ripple.
The next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol powers the 3200+ RAM-only servers in 95+ countries. And if you think that’s not enough to ensure smooth Discord performance, the provider boosts it with the Surfshark Nexus update. It uses SDN (Software Defined Networking) to route your traffic through a unified network of servers, stabilizing the connection and increasing speeds.
Tired after an intense team deathmatch? Unwind by streaming the latest movies on HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, or Hulu. And if there are other services you want to access but can’t since you reside in a region with strict internet censorship, Camouflage and NoBorders modes are here to help out.
Coming with no device limit at only $2.30/month, it’s one of the most suited VPNs for Discord. Just don’t forget to apply a Surfshark VPN coupon during checkout. Curious cats can take the 7-day free trial out for a spin. Commiting from the get-go is also an option with the 30-day money-back guarantee providing enough time to see if it fits.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for Discord
24/7 live chat
- Owns all server hardware
- Bulletproof security measures
- Excellent for bypassing geo-blocks
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
Ramp up your anonymity on Discord and elsewhere online with PrivateVPN. It’s a neat smaller-scale service with an excellent price-to-feature ratio and broad device compatibility. What’s more, a subscription to this VPN nets you stable performance no matter what you’re doing.
Speaking of which, this VPN owns all 200+ servers in 63+ countries, more than enough to keep yourself undetectable. The exclusion of unnecessary third parties significantly increases overall security, too. Feeling a bit skeptical about the speeds? Don’t be – PrivateVPN buys High Quality Network from the source, reducing latency significantly.
Breaking through censorship-heavy areas like the UAE won’t be a problem if you don’t forget to enable StealthVPN. Moreover, the government won’t be able to detect your VPN purchase if you pay using Bitcoin. Finally, if you torrent on the side, PrivateVPN doesn’t restrict P2P traffic at all.
Apply our PrivateVPN coupon to pay no more than $2.00/month for a subscription – it comes with 10 simultaneous connections. The 7-day free trial version is available for anyone wary of committing from the get-go. However, the fears are unfounded when you’re protected with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Discord VPN with no virtual servers
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- Malware protection
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payments
Utmost privacy, no matter what you do on the interwebs, is a guarantee with IPVanish. Plenty of features ensure you can bypass even the peskiest of geo-blocks while benefiting from stellar performance. And if real-time protection is a pressing matter for you, VIPRE Antivirus is here to fill the gap.
Owning the whole fleet of 2000+ servers in 50+ countries is a feat few providers can achieve. Furthermore, all of it is physical, meaning that less-than-excellent speeds will never be an issue. Throwing the WireGuard tunneling protocol into the mix just boosts the connections and ensures speedy Discord communications.
If need be, users can hide the fact they’re using a VPN in the first place with the scramble OpenVPN traffic feature. Shielding everything you’re doing from prying eyes is also easier when there’s no device limit to hinder your options. Just connect and download files via P2P, surf foreign Netflix libraries, and more.
$3.33/month after entering an IPVanish code during checkout is not much for such an excellent Discord VPN. The lack of any trial version is frustrating for weary first-time subscribers, and we understand that. Thankfully, it’s fully compensated with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – free VPN for Discord
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Anonymous payments
- No device limit
- No router configuration
The last star of the show is Atlas VPN, one of the cheapest VPNs to protect your online identity. It has everything you need – reliable security features, unlimited connections, and anonymous payments. Moreover, the provider offers an entirely free version that, albeit limited, is still a viable option for people with a tight budget.
The network consists of 750+ servers across 37+ countries, so there’s no lack of regions for all your geo-block circumvention needs. The reliable WireGuard tunneling protocol powers everything here, meaning great speeds won’t be an issue. Plus, streaming enthusiasts get to boost their watching experience by connecting to servers dedicated just for that.
Now, the free AtlasVPN version has most of the tools of paid tiers, like SafeBrowse against malware and trackers, SafeSwap for bolstered anonymity, etc. While it has a data limit (10Gb/month), 1 device limit, and only 3 server locations, it’s more than enough if you don’t have the money to buy the premium plan.
You’ll pay no more than $1.99/month for this budget-friendly VPN if you don’t forget to utilize an AtlasVPN coupon before finalizing the purchase. Get the free app to familiarize yourself with the service and upscale if it feels too limited. You won’t suffer any monetary losses when the 30-day money-back guarantee has your back.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to pick the best VPN for Discord
Finding the best Discord VPN capable of fulfilling all your needs is tricky. There are many criteria you need to consider, and we’ve made our list by looking at the following:
- Optimal speeds. Laggy audio can instantly kill effective team communication, so having the latest tunneling protocols is mandatory to avoid such issues. Plus, it’s highly likely you’re using Discord while playing online games – if you want both to work without a hitch, pick providers that perform well on basic VPN speed tests.
- Network size. It plays into having suitable servers closest to you, reducing latency, and ensuring better speeds. Plus, it helps connect to countries where Discord isn’t banned.
- Unblocking potential. Chances are, this chat app isn’t the only thing you want to unlock. We picked Discord VPNs capable of circumventing geo-restrictions imposed on streaming services like Netflix, social media like Instagram, games like Warzone, etc.
- Necessary security. You will need a kill switch, leak protection, and AES-256 encryption to ensure none of your information ever becomes visible to third parties. StealthVPN, antiviruses, and tracker-blockers are nice additional touches to have.
- Utmost privacy. A zero-logs policy is necessary if you live in a country where using Discord or VPNs is outlawed. Extra points go to those who’ve had it audited by independent entities to confirm the policy’s legitimacy.
- Reasonable price. Paying more doesn’t always net you excellent performance or even all the security essentials. Some cheaper VPNs manage to beat their expensive counterparts on many levels – just make sure not to fall into the free VPN trap.
What countries is Discord banned in?
Being such a convenient and relatively secure communication platform puts Discord on the blocklist of several regions. It’s still available worldwide, just not in locations where the government thinks dissenting ideas threaten their nations. You probably won’t be surprised these surveillance-heavy countries have outlawed Discord:
The only way their residents can use Discord is by using Virtual Private Networks to circumvent the block. For this reason, we strongly urge users to subscribe to trustworthy VPNs with strict no-log policies. Better yet if the provider also offers tools to hide VPN traffic from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
How to bypass Discord IP ban with a VPN
Before we get into the nitty-gritty stuff, we must familiarize ourselves with the types of bans users can receive. How you circumvent your ban depends on what kind has fallen on your shoulders.
- Server ban – in this case, you cannot access a specific server. These are usually dished out by the server’s owner or moderators and are further categorized into kicks and traditional bans. You can still find and rejoin the community with the former and are entirely barred from entering with the latter.
- Discord-wide ban – if you got this, you’re prohibited from accessing Discord and its services in general because your IP address is blocked. Your account will also be inaccessible. These bans are usually temporary unless the user seriously violated the Terms of Service (ToS); then, the staff will warn them that the account will be terminated after a month.
Whether it’s getting kicked from a server or receiving the all-encompassing ban hammer, there are several reasons you can get them. Some of the most common are:
- Violations of ToS
- Abusive or disrespectful behavior
- Suspicious activities
- Racism, sexism
Now, if it was a simple kick, you can easily enter the server again – just look it up in the search menu. Traditional and Discord-wide bans target your IP, so they are a bit trickier to circumvent. Thankfully, there’s nothing that hiding your IP address can’t fix, which Virtual Private Networks do.
How to get unbanned from Discord with a VPN:
- Clear all Discord data and uninstall the app from your device
- Download a reliable Discord VPN, like NordVPN, install the software, and connect to a server best for you
- Reinstall Discord
- Create a new account – make sure to use a unique username and another email address
- Log in and continue chatting
How to bypass a Discord ban without a VPN
If you’re wondering how to get unbanned from a Discord server without a VPN, alternative methods exist. How well they work bank on what kind of ban you received and why.
Create a new account
Those suffering from traditional bans can circumvent them by registering a new account. You won’t be getting access to your old one, but at least you’ll be able to enter the community server again.
Before you do so, it’s recommended to change your IP address (with proxies or similar services) and create a new email. Once that’s done, boot up Discord and remember to pick a username different from the one you used before.
Contact the server owner or Discord’s staff
The simplest method is talking to the people who gave you the ban in the first place. Of course, this approach works only if you’ve been wrongfully barred from the services. Appeal your case by contacting the community admin or customer support, and don’t forget to provide evidence if you have any.
Use mobile or another network
Using another device, like a phone, should let you reaccess Discord. Moreover, connecting to a different network should change your IP address just enough to resolve the ban issue. Again, this method is applicable if you’ve been flagged for suspicious activity.
Discord not working with a VPN
Not everything is lost if you find yourself unable to access the platform anymore. Always check if the service isn’t down for maintenance or because of other issues here. Sometimes the app itself will inform you what’s happening.
No incidents? Then your Discord VPN is not working – here’s what might be throwing a wrench into the works:
- Connected to a blocked server. The VPN server you’re currently using might’ve been flagged by Discord for violating the Terms of Service. Quit the chat app, connect to another region, boot it up again and see if that solves anything.
- Actual location is leaking. IP and DNS leaks might be preventing you from circumventing your ban. Check if that’s the case, toggle the security settings, and clear your web cookie cache if you’re using the browser version.
- Wrong tunneling protocol. Sometimes it simply boils down to incorrect protocols – cycle through all possible ones. Ensure UDP is enabled since Discord only works with VPNs that have it.
- Outdated software. Running older clients puts your devices at risk and decreases the chances of unblocking Discord. Always make sure you’re using the latest version.
Discord and VPN still not playing nice? Don’t be afraid to contact customer support for further troubleshooting. But even if professionals can’t help you, it’s ‘bout time to switch to a provider that doesn’t cause such issues. The best Discord VPNs we’ve listed above are perfect for the job.
Free VPN for Discord
Finding a free VPN that works with Discord is a taxing mission, even on the best of days. That’s because a majority of these services that cost nothing weren’t created to function as proper VPNs. What do we mean? Well, free providers tend to develop them to exploit unsuspecting users. You’re likely to face:
- Data logging – at this point, it’s an open secret that everything you do whilst connected to a free VPN is neatly recorded and shipped off to the highest bidder. What’s worse is that your IP address is probably as naked as the day you were born, meaning whoever was tracking you can continue doing so unbothered.
- Risky clients – free services are no strangers to infestations of the malicious software kind. Your sub-par costless VPN can have malware, adware, ransomware, keyloggers, and god knows what else. These wreak havoc on your device while stealing sensitive data, deleting files, hijacking settings, etc.
- Intrusive ads – accidentally click on one of these, and your device is instantly at risk. Did you know that they are created based on the info gathered from user trackers installed on free VPN clients?
If you really can’t afford to subscribe to a premium service, getting free trial versions of trustworthy VPNs is the next best thing. You get to enjoy all the security features included in the standard package, albeit for a limited time. No worries, though, since you can hop to a new one once you’re done. We recommend starting with NordVPN’s free trial version.
Discord is a convenient app that lets you join like-minded communities and talk instantly. Everything online is vulnerable because of human error, and this platform is not an exception. What’s more, it’s outright banned in several countries.
You can solve these Discord issues by utilizing suitable VPNs. NordVPN, for example, perfectly fills in the security gaps while allowing users to launch the app from any country. Can’t forget that it helps circumvent Discord IP bans as well. Very handy indeed.
What’s the silliest reason you’ve received a Discord IP ban? Let us know in the comment section below!
Can you use a VPN with Discord?
Yes, you can use VPNs with Discord as it isn’t against the Terms of Service. What’s not allowed is using it to bypass bans if you were banned for doxxing, raiding servers, and similar activities.
Do I need a VPN for Discord?
Yes, you need a VPN for Discord to increase your security and anonymity because your ISP can see what you’re doing on it. It’s also necessary if you live in a country where Discord is banned.
Is Discord banned in UAE?
Yes, Discord is banned in the United Arab Emirates. Essentially, it’s a VoIP, and the government blocks such software citing UAE’s digital licensing policy violations. The only way citizens of this country can access Discord is by using a UAE VPN.
Is Discord banned in China?
Yes, Discord is banned in China. The country is known for blocking all services that aren’t created and operated by China Unicom and China Telecom. Citizens wishing to use Discord can only do so by utilizing China VPNs.
Does NordVPN work with Discord?
Yes, NordVPN works perfectly with Discord. In fact, it’s one of the top recommended VPNs for this app because of lightning-fast speeds, excellent unblocking capabilities, and robust security tools.
Nadin has been tinkering with computers and gadgets for as long as she can remember. She has extensive knowledge about various topics, including IoT, Linux, digital security, and more. Nowadays, she works as an IT network professional and writes helpful guides in her free time.