Instagram is one of the world’s most popular social networks. While it’s smaller than Facebook more than two times, Instagram captivates younger audiences – 70% of all users are in the 13-34 age group. Unfortunately, just like any other social network, Instagram is not available in every area for everyone.
Even President Donald Trump is banned indefinitely for violating content moderation rules. And while it won’t help in the latter case, the best VPN for Instagram can unblock this social network in schools, workplaces, and countries like Russia. Read on to find out which VPNs we recommend and how we evaluated each provider.
Top 5 VPNs for Instagram: shortlist
- Best VPN for Instagram9.6 / 10
- Instagram VPN with no device limit9.4 / 10
- Budget-friendly VPN for Instagram9.3 / 10
- Instagram VPN with most servers8.6 / 10
- Best freemium VPN for Instagram8.7 / 10
How to unblock Instagram with a VPN
- Subscribe to the best Instagram VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN, available with 57% off!
- Download the VPN app
- Connect to a country where Instagram is available, i.e., the US
- Start using Instagram!
Why do you need a VPN for Instagram?
You need a VPN for Instagram if your country or institution blocks access to it. Recently, it has become unavailable in Russia because of its Ukraine invasion. As a result, citizens have trouble sharing their opinions and getting the news from foreign sources.
Furthermore, quite a few schools, universities, and workplaces block Instagram to “let people stay focused,” deeming it a major distraction. And while you can still access this social network using cellular data, doing so on a regular basis can become costly.
A VPN hides your IP address and makes it look like you’re connecting from a different location or even another country. At the same time, this service encrypts your traffic with a military-grade cipher, which means no third party will see what you’re doing online. For this reason, it’s beneficial to use a VPN not only for Instagram but for security and privacy in general.
With a VPN, you will be able to unblock Instagram plus other social networks, such as Facebook or Twitter, too. These platforms are also unavailable in Russia and will probably stay so for the upcoming future. Moreover, VPNs are great for streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and the like from any location.
Best VPNs for Instagram: overview
We’ve picked the best VPNs for Instagram after testing dozens of services. Not every provider passed the minimal requirements, such as dedicated apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac. Afterward, we evaluated the privacy and security features that are key for all reliable VPNs.
Finally, we made sure that the top Instagram VPNs are fast, good at unblocking, and offer plenty of servers across the globe. Below are the services that passed our tests with flying colors.
- NordVPN – best VPN for Instagram
- Surfshark VPN – Instagram VPN with no device limit
- PrivateVPN – budget-friendly VPN for Instagram
- PureVPN – Instagram VPN with most servers
- Atlas VPN – best freemium VPN for Instagram
Each provider comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, and most offer a free trial or even a free version.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Instagram
24/7 live chat, Email
- Excellent security and privacy
- Great for unblocking
- Fastest speeds
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for Instagram. It’s great against all sorts of blocks, be it social networks or streaming platforms. At the same time, NordVPN is the speediest service that sacrifices neither security nor privacy.
You can choose from 5400+ bare-metal servers in 60+ countries. Together with the in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol, this fleets brings unprecedented performance. And if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) uses bandwidth throttling, NordVPN will speed up your connection even more.
This Panama-based service uses AES 256-bit encryption to make your traffic virtually indecipherable. You also get two powerful kill switches, full leak protection, and an independently audited no-logs policy. Furthermore, you can benefit from additional NordVPN features, such as Double VPN (multi-hop), Tor over VPN, and Obfuscated servers.
NordVPN unblocks Instagram in Russia, China, and other countries. The same goes for the rest of the social networks and streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or HBO Max. If you have a decent internet connection, watching in HD or even 4K is entirely possible.
The prices start from $3.49/month but you should also check NordVPN coupons for special deals. One account allows six simultaneous connections, a limit that can be expanded by installing the VPN on a router. In addition to the 7-day free trial (requires Android), you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Instagram VPN with no device limit
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited devices
- Very fast
- Great for unblocking
- No-logs policy not audited
If you want to unblock Instagram on numerous devices, Surfshark VPN is your go-to choice. This service brings top-level speed, security, and privacy for a budget price.
Surfshark VPN commands 3200+ RAM-only servers in 100+ countries. Furthermore, the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol guarantees fast connections all over the world.
Military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection are the backbone of Surfshark’s security. There’s also a CleanWeb malware blocker, Camouflage Mode (Stealth VPN), and Nexus for changing your IP without disconnecting. As for privacy, this provider is registered in the Netherlands and uses a strict no-logs policy.
With Surfshark VPN, you’ll be able to change your Instagram location, not to mention Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks blocked in Russia and other countries. The same applies to streaming platforms like Hulu, Disney+, or BBC iPlayer.
Surfshark VPN costs $2.30/month before applying coupon codes. You can get a 7-day trial with your smartphone that works on all devices. Finally, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee to test everything risk-free.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – budget-friendly VPN for Instagram
24/7 live chat
- Cheap and effective
- Great for streaming
- 10 devices per account
- Lacks WireGuard
Choose PrivateVPN to unblock Instagram for an entry-level price. Consider this service if you’re a big streaming fan as well.
Even though PrivateVPN offers just 200+ servers in 63+ countries, all of them are dedicated and self-owned. In other words, what this VPN lacks in quantity, it overcompensates with quality.
PrivateVPN uses bank-grade encryption, a robust kill switch, and protection against DNS, IP & WebRTC leaks. There’s also Stealth VPN and port forwarding, which torrenters will love. Despite its location in Sweden, a Fourteen Eyes country, PrivateVPN’s no-logs policy ensures that no identifying user data is collected.
This provider is one of the best VPNs for streaming. It unblocks a number of channels and streaming platforms, including Netflix, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime Video, among others. In the meantime, torrenting is allowed on all servers and can be protected separately with a SOCKS5 proxy.
The price is $2.00/month but you may find an even better deal on our PrivateVPN coupon page. Each account gets 10 simultaneous connections. There’s a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. PureVPN – Instagram VPN with most servers
24/7 live chat
- Huge server list with 20 Gbps options
- Temptingly low pricing
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Weak kill switch
PureVPN is a great VPN for Instagram, mainly due to its massive server fleet. Other than that, users can expect top-notch security, performance, and the lowest prices.
There are 6500+ servers in 70+ countries to select from. 98% of them are bare-metal, excluding some regions where deploying such infrastructure is complicated. Additionally, most servers are 10 Gbps, with 20 Gbps 5G-ready options sprouting in the US and Europe.
PureVPN uses NASA-grade encryption together with leak protection and a kill switch. Windows and Android users can already benefit from the WireGuard protocol that significantly boosts speeds. This provider comes from the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands and had its no-logs policy audited independently.
Unblocking Instagram with PureVPN is easy. The same goes for other social networks and content websites. You’ll be able to stream Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, YouTube TV, and more on ten devices at the same time.
PureVPN is one of the cheapest services for changing your Instagram location. The prices start from $1.33/month and that’s before using a PureVPN coupon code. For $0.99, you can grab a 7-day trial or simply exercise the 31-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
5. Atlas VPN – best freemium VPN for Instagram
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Excellent free version
- Great for streaming
- Few countries
Atlas VPN has one thing that separates it from the pack – an excellent free version. While it lacks the premium version’s speed, servers, and features, this service lets you reliably unblock Instagram in Russia and elsewhere at no cost.
The premium option comes with 750+ servers in 37+ countries. While that’s one of the smaller fleets, expect good speeds thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol. However, it’s still available to Windows and Android users only.
Atlas VPN uses AES 256-bit encryption, which is an industry standard. There’s also a solid kill switch and leak protection, along with SafeBrowse, SafeSwap, and MultiHop+ features. Despite Atlas VPN’s jurisdiction in the US, a strict no-logs policy ensures the privacy of its users.
In addition to helping change your Instagram location, Atlas VPN also unblocks Twitter, Facebook, and other social networks. Streaming fans will be happy to find they can watch Netflix, Disney+, Peacock, and more content from anywhere. When it comes to torrenting, all servers support P2P traffic.
Atlas VPN is the cheapest Instagram VPN, starting at $2.05/month before applying coupon codes. What’s more, users get unlimited simultaneous connections. You can try Atlas VPN for free and later use the 30-day money-back guarantee if needed.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How we picked the best Instagram VPNs
Even if your main goal is to unblock Instagram in Russia, China, or any other country, you should look for a well-rounded VPN. While quite a few providers will let you change your Instagram location, you should also factor in speed, privacy, price, and other crucial VPN features explained below.
- Unblocking capabilities. A good VPN should unblock not only Instagram but also other social networks, no matter your location. The same goes for avoiding geo-blocks from streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Hulu, or BBC iPlayer.
- Server fleet. Having thousands of servers in dozens of countries to choose from lets you find an optimal connection. It’s also great when you need a specific IP address.
- Performance. While you don’t need fiber optics to use Instagram, watching HD videos without buffering is a coveted feat. Thus, streaming and torrenting fans should look for WireGuard tunneling protocol.
- Security. A VPN should come with military-grade encryption and a solid kill switch. This way, your real IP address and traffic will remain protected.
- Privacy. Choose a provider registered in a country with no data retention laws, such as Panama or the British Virgin Islands. Make sure it has a no-logs policy as well.
- Device limit. Most Instagram VPNs will give you at least five simultaneous connections. However, services with no device limit will let you share the account with family and friends.
- Price. Getting the best VPN for Instagram doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. In fact, some of the top choices are also the cheapest.
- Customer support. Always go for the 24/7 live chat or phone line. It might not seem that important, but it will be in case you need troubleshooting.
How to change location on Instagram
If you want to change your region on Instagram, you will need a new IP address from the country you want to connect to. The easiest way to do this is with a reliable VPN that has plenty of servers and locations to choose from. This will let you use Instagram even if you’re in Russia, China, Bangladesh, your school or workplace, and any other area where this social network is blocked.
How to change your Instagram location on Windows and Mac
Although Instagram is a mobile-first app, you can also post your holiday photos and watch those likes pile up on your Windows or macOS computer. With a VPN, you can do it even from your university or office, in case they block Instagram.
- Choose a solid Instagram VPN. Our #1 choice is NordVPN, now with 57% off
- Download and install the app for your OS
- Connect to a location where Instagram is available
- Start scrolling!
How to change your region on Instagram on Android and iPhone
Changing your Instagram location is a bit trickier on mobile devices. That’s because they monitor your whereabouts more closely. Despite that, you will have no problem with this task as long as you choose a solid VPN provider.
- Get one of the best VPNs for Instagram. Our go-to option is NordVPN, now with a 57% discount
- Download and install the app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store
- Delete your Instagram app
- Connect to your chosen VPN server
- Create a new Google account or Apple ID
- Choose your VPN location as your country of origin
- Download Instagram
- Sign in and enjoy censorship-free access!
How to change location on Instagram – video tutorial
If you find these written guides lacking in detail, check out our video guide on changing your Instagram location with a VPN.
VPN for Instagram Music
Instagram Music is a popular feature that lets you add soundtracks to your Stories. Furthermore, you can add music before starting to film a video, which will play in the background, setting the mood for your viewers. Sadly, Instagram Music is not available worldwide.
As of writing this article, you can only use Instagram Music in these countries:
If you find yourself in another location and still want to use Instagram Music, a VPN service will help you with all those songs and lyrics. Just follow this step-by-step guide:
- Pick a VPN with servers in the US or any other country listed above. We recommend NordVPN, our top overall provider.
- Download and install the app on your device.
- Connect to a country where Instagram Music is available.
- Open Instagram and find your favorite songs!
Is Instagram not working with a VPN?
There may be times when Instagram won’t work even with a VPN. Countries that block this and other social platforms come up with new ways to censor the internet or block Virtual Private Networks in general. With that said, here are some things to try out when Instagram is not working with your VPN:
- Try another VPN server. Sometimes the issue lies with that particular server. Switching to another one often helps, and the best Instagram VPNs have plenty to offer.
- Change your DNS servers. NordVPN (screenshot below) and other top services use private DNS servers to avoid ISP monitoring. However, they can be blocked too. If so, turn on Custom DNS, click Set a DNS server address, and enter a public IP, i.e., Cloudfare’s 126.96.36.199 or any other from this list.
- Disable malware blocker. Having a VPN that blocks ads and malware is excellent, but this feature can interfere with Instagram. Check your settings and make sure it’s turned off.
The same applies to your browser’s adblocker.
- Use Stealth VPN. Known as Obfuscated servers in NordVPN, this feature helps combat VPN blocks in countries with highly restricted internet access. For example, China and Russia use Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) to determine whether you’re connecting via a VPN. Stealth VPN scrambles your traffic to make it look like it’s coming from a regular source.
- Try another VPN. If none of the above helps unblock Instagram, it might be best to pick another provider from the above list. Some VPNs just don’t have enough oomph to get the job done.
Finally, you shouldn’t forget your VPN’s customer support. After all, they’re there to help unblock Instagram and solve other issues. If there’s a 24/7 live chat, you can expect to post that filter-enhanced selfie before midnight!
Where is Instagram blocked?
In addition to some institutions like schools and workplaces, Instagram is blocked in the following countries:
Russia is the latest country to block Instagram starting from March 14, following the invasion of Ukraine. While the government claims this was due to the incitement to violence against the Russian army, many analysts strongly disagree. According to them, Putin really wants to prevent the citizens from seeing a different perspective on the war.
The ban of Instagram in China came after the 2014 Hong Kong protests. There were many clashes between the police and the locals during the time. To prevent people from sharing photos and videos, the government blocked access to Instagram. Now it works in Hong Kong and Macau only.
Iran completely bans Instagram “only” during the anti-government protests, but it is still dangerous to use it without a service like NordVPN. One wrong post can result in imprisonment, which has already happened to some people. Despite that, Instagram is the most popular social platform in Iran.
Turkey is well-known for its censorship, and Instagram is no exception. While it works most of the time, seeing this social network blocked is not unheard of. In any case, thousands of posts are unavailable to Turkey’s residents that don’t use a VPN.
North Korea has always been sensitive about showing its true face to the rest of the world. Therefore, in 2015, it was no surprise that Instagram was shut down during the Koryo Hotel fire incident. The government wanted to stop the incident photos from spreading, although it was too late.
Cuba shut down Instagram during the protests against the government in 2021. Again, the goal was to censor the news about the event, which saw hundreds arrested and some sentenced to prison. With the citizens already suffering from severe online restrictions, a solid VPN, such as Surfshark, might be the only way to alleviate them.
Change your Instagram region with a free VPN
Generally speaking, using a free VPN for Instagram is not a good idea. To start with, most of them cannot circumvent institutional and governmental blocks. And there’s a slim chance that would happen in a country like Russia or China.
Even if you manage to unblock Instagram with a free VPN, there will be more problems to deal with. The first one is the lack of available locations.
Most free providers offer the US, the UK, and maybe Australia or Japan. So if you’re connecting from another continent, be prepared for high latency and sluggish speeds. That can happen even if you’re not far away due to overcrowded servers.
To add salt to injury, your data will be logged and sold to third parties. Seeing annoying ads is also not out of the question. If that weren’t enough, some free VPNs would inject malware without a second thought.
However, if you’re on a really tight budget, we advise getting either Atlas VPN or Proton VPN. These two are the best free VPNs for Instagram in 2023. Both have military-grade encryption, kill switches, generous or non-existent data caps, and responsive customer support.
Instagram is one of the most popular social networks, which means it will stay blocked in China, Russia, and other countries in the foreseeable future. It’s also highly unlikely that all schools and workplaces will give free access to posting and liking. However, a solid VPN can help you get back on Instagram.
If you want to change your Instagram location, choose NordVPN and get a 57% discount. At the same time, be prepared for top-notch security and privacy, vital for letting the world know what’s happening around you.
What’s your go-to method for unblocking Instagram and other Meta products? Share your ideas by leaving a comment below!
Does Instagram ban VPNs?
No, it doesn’t. You can mix a VPN with Instagram, like peanut butter with jelly. However, some VPN IPs might get blocked in case of abuse, though that’s rarely the case. If you want to be absolutely sure, get a VPN with dedicated IPs.
Which VPN is the best for Instagram?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Instagram. It unblocks this social network in Russia, China, and other internet-restricting countries. NordVPN also comes with excellent security, top-level privacy, the fastest speeds, plus 24/7 live chat.
Can a VPN change your Instagram location?
You can change your Instagram location with a VPN by choosing a server in a different country or city. This way, you will avoid the block imposed by your government, workplace, or school.
How to use a VPN for Instagram?
Using a VPN for Instagram is really simple. After you install the VPN, connect to a server in a location where Instagram isn’t blocked. Then, launch the social network and start using it.
Can I use a proxy to change your Instagram location?
Yes, using a proxy is an effective way to change your Instagram region. However, unlike VPNs, proxies don’t encrypt your traffic. This could be a security concern, especially if you’re connecting from Russia, China, Iran, or other countries with strict internet censorship. In such a case, we highly recommend NordVPN, the best VPN for Instagram.