Lost Ark is an isometric action MMORPG released in 2019 exclusively in South Korea. Over time it gained versions for other nearby regions, such as Japan and Russia. However, European and American players were barred from playing until February 2022, when the western version of the game was released.
Disappointingly, this new version isn’t what gamers were expecting and is quite different from the initial counterparts. However, A VPN for Lost Ark can change your region and unlock the original version no matter your actual location. Gamers need to choose a reliable provider with servers in their desired region to experience the game as originally envisioned.
Best VPNs for Lost Ark: shortlist
- The best VPN for Lost Ark9.7
- VPN for Lost Ark to play on unlimited devices9.3
- VPN for Lost Ark with Russian servers9.2
- Lost Ark VPN with malware protection8.9
- Affordable VPN to unblock Lost Ark8.5
How to play Lost Ark with a VPN
- Download a well-performing gaming VPN. We recommend NordVPN, currently available for 68% off!
- Install the VPN and connect to a country that unlocks a different version of Lost Ark
- Visit the Lost Ark website of that region
- Create a new account and download the game
- Experience a different iteration of Lost Ark!
Why do you need a VPN for Lost Ark?
Before February 2022, players needed a VPN for gaming to access Lost Ark, which was exclusive to a handful of regions. Now, with the latest release on Steam, the game has different versions in:
- South Korea
- Europe and America
The first three are basically the same and only differ in localization. Meanwhile, the Steam version has a different publisher and provides unique features and gameplay. It includes fewer microtransactions, different player-versus-player mechanics, and fewer class options.
As such, your Lost Ark experience will differ greatly depending on your current location. So if you’re not happy with how the game feels in your region, you can use a VPN to connect to a different country and access a brand new Lost Ark.
Additionally, a virtual private network grants numerous other benefits as well. For starters, it can curb data throttling by internet service providers if you’re experiencing extreme connectivity slowdowns while streaming or gaming. Plus, it keeps your digital activities private from online interlopers and other creeps.
Best VPNs for Lost Ark: overview
A good VPN for Lost Ark needs much more than just a few servers scattered across the globe. Most importantly, it needs fast and reliable connections to ensure a pleasant and lag-free gaming experience. Additionally, it needs a foundation of crucial security features to prevent IP and DNS leaks.
We’ve selected five Lost Ark VPN services packed with various features for optimal gaming, privacy, and security.
- NordVPN – The Best VPN for Lost Ark
- Surfshark – VPN for Lost Ark to play on unlimited devices
- PrivateVPN – VPN for Lost Ark with Russian servers
- IPVanish – Lost Ark VPN with malware protection
- Atlas VPN – Affordable VPN to unblock Lost Ark
Each one offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, giving you plenty of time to test the service with Lost Ark. Continue reading for further information about each provider.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Lost Ark
24/7 live chat, Email
- Exceptional connectivity
- Independently audited and secure
- Servers in Japan and Korea
- No router app
The ultimate tool for undocking Lost Ark is NordVPN. It has servers in Korea and Japan, plus a boatload of excellent security and privacy features.
Firstly, NordVPN runs a network of 5500+ servers in 59+ countries. There are no virtual servers, meaning users gain top-notch performance and reliability from anywhere. Additionally, many of them are equipped with RAM-only technology to ensure confidentiality on a fundamental level.
Gamers won’t notice any slowdown with NordVPN since it’s blazing-fast with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. On the other hand, air-tight security is ensured with features like CyberSec, Obfuscated Servers, Onion Over VPN, and Threat Protection.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – VPN for Lost Ark to play on unlimited devices
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Servers in Korea and Japan
- Loads of features
- Unaudited no-logs policy
A great option for your entire Lost Ark gaming squad is Surfshark. One VPN subscription permits an unlimited number of simultaneous connections and provides wicked performance.
With Surfshark, customers can choose from 3200+ RAM-only servers in 95+ countries. Recently, the provider announced an innovative technology called Surfshark Nexus. To put simply, it grants numerous performance and privacy benefits by connecting users to a single expansive server network rather than separate servers, as is the norm right now.
Besides that, mind-blowing connection speeds are provided with the modern and open-source WireGuard tunneling protocol. Naturally, safety while cruising the net is ensured with CleanWeb, NoBorders, Alert, Rotating IP, and many more.
A swim in the shallow end of the pool with this VPN is possible by claiming the 7-day Surfshark trial on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Meanwhile, a deep dive requires a measly sum of $2.21/month and a valid Surfshark coupon.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – VPN for Lost Ark with Russian servers
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- Servers in Korea, Japan, and Russia
- Cheap and effective
- Lacks WireGuard
PrivateVPN is the only Lost Ark VPN that has servers available in Russia. Besides that, it has a great price-to-performance ratio and is a solid choice for any purpose.
For starters, the service operates a network of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. The provider maintains the entire fleet, ensuring minimal risk and interference from third parties. Meanwhile, the OpenVPN tunneling protocol provides solid performance while streaming, playing online games, or torrenting.
As the name suggests, PrivateVPN is filled to the brim with reliable confidentiality-enhancing features. For example, Stealth VPN masks the fact that you’re using a virtual private network and allows you to circumvent typical means of blocking VPN traffic. Additionally, customers can pay for the service anonymously using Bitcoin.
Eager users can get a taste of this service by taking advantage of the 7-day free trial on the official website. After that, pricing begins at only $2.00/month if you provide a PrivateVPN coupon code.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Lost Ark VPN with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- Servers in Korea and Japan
- Malware protection
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish is a jack-of-all-trades service that’s pricier than most but is a solid choice for unblocking Lost Ark and other restricted content.
In terms of servers, IPVanish has 2000+ in 50+ countries. It retains complete control over the network and operates it without third-party vendors. Plus, breakneck speeds are guaranteed since customers can facilitate VPN connections with WireGuard.
Unsurprisingly, the service is a reliable option for circumventing geographical restrictions in other contexts as well. For example, one of the most popular VPN use cases is gaining more out of streaming platforms like Netflix and Hulu. Alternatively, you can use Stealth VPN to browse the web in regions where virtual private network technologies are restricted.
Although IPVanish lacks a free trial, all subscriptions are packaged with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Furthermore, an IPVanish coupon can reveal $3.33/month starting prices.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – affordable VPN to unblock Lost Ark
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Free version
- Limitless simultaneous connections
- Cheap and feature-rich
- Servers only in Japan
Atlas VPN is a cost-effective service for Lost Ark that performs well and grants a wide variety of security features. The only downside is that it lacks servers in Russia and Korea.
First off, Atlas VPN users gain access to 750+ servers in 37+ countries. These servers are categorized by purpose and convenience when focusing on either security or streaming. The former grants access to SafeSwap, a feature that intermittently rotates your IP address without disconnecting. Additionally, the MultiHop+ feature reroutes your connection through multiple servers for enhanced security.
On the other hand, the streaming servers can unlock a whole cargo ship of streaming platforms. Most content connoisseurs are interested in Netflix, but Atlas VPN can also unblock bonus shows and movies on HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and more. Plus, the service has dedicated apps for desktop, mobile devices, and even home media players like Amazon Fire TV Stick.
It’s possible to have a risk-free stint with this service with the help of the free version. However, the full set of features is only available with the premium plan, which starts at a measly $1.83/month. Potential buyers can find alternative prices by utilizing an Atlas VPN discount code.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
The different versions of Lost Ark
As mentioned previously, Lost Ark has different versions based on your region. The initial three (South Korean, Japanese, Russian) are available in their respective countries. Meanwhile, the latest version is available in a list of American and European countries, which we’ll include in the table below.
|Western version availability|
|Canada, Mexico, United States, Aland Islands (Finland), Albania, Andorra, Austria, Bosnia And Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Faroe Islands (Denmark), Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar (UK), Greece, Guernsey (UK), Holy See, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle Of Man (UK), Italy, Jersey (UK), Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard & Jan Mayen (Norway), Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom|
The eastern regions (South Korea, Japan, Russia) share the same features and only differ in localization. Meanwhile, the new western version has a few key differences that are worth considering.
- Class selection. At the moment, the western version has fewer class options than the eastern version. This limitation is in place to prevent overwhelming new players. It’s expected that the other classes will be added in the future.
- Microtransactions. Western Lost Ark has cut down on some paid features and kept them mostly for cosmetic purposes. Other benefits can be achieved through in-game trading.
- Player-vs-player. The new version has less emphasis on PVP gameplay and lacks many features like a ranking system.
- More players in the western version. Upon release, the Lost Ark player base skyrocketed on Steam with over a million concurrent users. Gamers had to wait in queues to get a chance to play. Meanwhile, the Korean version doesn’t suffer from such unexpected player surges.
- Character design. Western players were shocked to notice some differences in character outfits. Specifically, the absence of more revealing clothing.
How to play Korean Lost Ark in English
Unsurprisingly, the eastern version of Lost Ark is unavailable in English. However, there is a workaround that eager gamers can try. But I wouldn’t recommend it as it involves downloading unofficial patches. But if you don’t mind the risk of malware, here’s what you need to do:
- Pick a VPN with servers in South Korea, Japan, or Russia. My go-to gaming companion is NordVPN, one of the fastest VPNs available
- Connect to a server in one of these countries
- Create a new Lost Ark account
- Download the game
- Find a trustworthy unofficial English patch for Lost Ark
- Follow the instructions and install it
- Play whichever version of Lost Ark you want in English!
What should I look for in a VPN for Lost Ark?
Even if your main goal is to unlock Korean Lost Ark, it’s best to pick a service that’s usable in other scenarios too. You can ensure this versatility by paying special attention to these key aspects of a virtual private network.
- Servers. Lost Ark players need servers in South Korea, Japan, and Russia, depending on which language you’re comfortable with. Besides that, a wider server network ensures access to more geo-restricted content and better overall performance.
- Speed. The most rage-inducing thing online gamers can experience is high latency and lag. Lightning-fast VPN providers can keep ping low with modern tunneling protocols like WireGuard.
- Price. Don’t expect top-notch performance from free VPN services. Most likely, they won’t even have servers in the proper regions. Look through available VPN coupon codes instead and go with the most appealing deal.
- Compatibility. Most virtual private networks are available via dedicated apps on desktop and mobile devices. Buyers should research availability on other devices with specific providers. Luckily, you can remedy most inadequacies by installing the VPN on a router.
- Security. While uncommon, gamers can be targets of phishing, malware, or DDoS attacks. Make sure that your chosen VPN grants protection against various digital threats.
- Privacy. A truly confidential VPN adheres to a strict no-logs policy, is located in privacy-ensuring jurisdiction, and offers anonymous payment methods.
- Customer support. You may think you won’t need it, but 24/7 customer service is essential when you need urgent assistance. Plus, asking a simple question is better than figuring everything out yourself.
Can I use a free VPN for Lost Ark?
Many reasons make free VPNs for Lost Ark unviable, such as:
- Absence of servers in Korea, Japan, or Russia
- Throttled connection speeds
- Outdated security practices
- Browsing data limitations
- Potential of data logging and selling
In my opinion, the cons severely outweigh the benefit of a no-cost VPN when picking one for Lost Ark. Instead, you’re better off choosing a VPN with a free trial. Usually, they’re only available on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. But once claimed, the subscription is usable on any other device.
That way, you can try out a bunch of different services risk-free to see if they work with the game. And once you’ve found the best one, you may grab a VPN coupon and purchase a subscription for a fraction of the price.
Lost Ark has different versions for western and eastern audiences. Gamers can experience a slice of both by using a VPN for Lost Ark to switch between supported regions. Of course, it’s vital to pick a provider that has servers in the necessary countries and is swift enough to ensure a lag-free gaming experience.
What VPN are you using to access Lost Ark? Share your gaming tips in the comments section below!
What VPN should I use for Lost Ark?
The best VPN for Lost Ark is NordVPN. It’s loaded with a vast array of servers across the globe, including South Korea and Japan. Moreover, it’s wicked-fast, ensuring low latency and zero lagging while gaming online. Best of all, it’s pretty affordable and even offers a free trial on the Google Play Store.
Can I play Lost Ark in America?
Yes, Lost Ark is playable in America through the Steam platform. However, you’ll need a VPN if you want to access the original Korean version of the game. Then you’ll need to create a separate account and download a different game launcher.
Is it legal to use a VPN with Lost Ark?
Yes, there are no laws against using a VPN to get around geographical restrictions in most parts of the world. However, using a virtual private network to access Lost Ark in geo-blocked regions is against the Steam and Amazon Games terms of service. As such, there’s a possibility that the VPN IP address or even your account gets blocked.