There are many reasons why you would want to change your location and IP address. One of the main ones is security and privacy. Other goals include getting around geographical restrictions, gaining access to more content, unlocking lower prices in online stores, and much more.
Whatever you want to do – you’ll need a VPN (Virtual Private Network). But not just any VPN. Ideally, you’d need one with strong security and privacy features, private DNS servers, and an ever-expanding network of servers. Luckily, I’m here to help you navigate this confusing landscape.
How to change your location with a VPN
Want to know which VPN services are well-equipped for changing your location? Check out our top 3 suggestions below!
Best VPNs for changing location: shortlist
- The best VPN for changing location9.7
- Affordable VPN with numerous country choices9.3
- Cheapest VPN for switching your region9.1
How does a VPN change your IP address and location?
Virtual private networks change your location by rerouting your internet connection through remote servers across the globe. Using apps from the best VPN services allows you to pick and choose your desired region from numerous options. Additionally, your IP (Internet Protocol) address is changed to that of your chosen VPN server.
For example, connecting to a server in the United States grants you a US IP address. Then all online services you visit think you’re visiting from America. This works wonderfully at removing geographical restrictions and unlocking exclusive content.
It’s crucial to note that secure VPNs encrypt your entire traffic with AES-256 ciphers, rendering your online activities unreadable to your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Having powerful encryption is essential for avoiding online surveillance, censorship, and intrusions on your privacy and dignity.
Unsurprisingly, going through this process of redirecting your traffic and encrypting it slows down your upload and download speeds. After all, your internet data packets now have to travel a greater distance. Thankfully, the fastest VPN services utilize cutting-edge technologies to ensure efficiency without sacrificing security.
Top 3 VPNs for changing your location
Not many VPN services can fulfill the previously-mentioned criteria effectively. We know this because we tested countless providers and their location-changing capabilities.
After some deliberation, we narrowed the recommendation list to three VPNs for changing your location. These providers offer reasonable subscription costs, top-notch security features, and numerous worldwide servers. Check their brief descriptions below and pick one that best suits your needs.
1. NordVPN – the ultimate service for changing your region
24/7 live chat, Email
- Ultra-fast with NordLynx
- Independently-audited zero-logs policy
- Bonus features against viruses
- Only six simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the best VPN for location change without missing out on security or confidentiality. The service provides industry-leading connection speeds, reliable cybersecurity features, and absolute anonymity. You can see how well it alters your region using the 7-day NordVPN free trial on the Google Play Store.
You can change your location with NordVPN and its fleet of 5400+ servers in 60+ countries. Specialty servers (P2P, obfuscated, double VPN, dedicated IP, Onion over VPN) are available for greater performance in particular situations. However, you’ll enjoy top connection speeds using the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
One of the greatest perks of NordVPN is its excellent compatibility with popular streaming platforms, such as Netflix and HBO Max. If that’s not a priority, you’ll be happy to know that viruses and other malicious files are thwarted with the Threat Protection tool. On the other hand, confidentiality is guaranteed, thanks to the service’s audited zero-logs policy and residence in Panama.
Take advantage of a NordVPN coupon and sign up for only $3.49/month. No need to hesitate because you can pull out at any time using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – location-altering VPN with the greatest country variety
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Excellent connection speeds with WireGuard
- Loads of privacy features
- Great for streaming and torrenting
- Some features cost extra
Looking for the VPN with the most diverse country selection? Surfshark VPN is the answer to your prayers! It has servers in over 100 countries and supports unlimited device connections with one account. Take it for a spin using the 7-day free Surfshark trial on various app stores.
The network contains 3200+ RAM-only servers and offers standard, MultiHop, or Static IP options. Furthermore, you can optimize your connection by picking from WireGuard and IKEv2 tunneling protocols.
Surfshark VPN offers a wide array of bonus security features. For starters, CleanWeb scrubs away ads, online trackers, and malware from messing up your browsing activities. Meanwhile, NoBorders and Camouflage modes will keep you hidden from restrictions against VPN traffic. Finally, IP Rotator is available for intermittently changing your IP address and keeping stalkers off your scent.
Snag a Surfshark discount code and subscribe for merely $2.30/month. Don’t worry about regrets because you can take the easy way out with the 30-day money-back warranty.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – the most frugal way to change your location
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Unlimited device connections
- Solid free version
- Swift, affordable, and secure
- Lacks router firmware
Want to know how to change your location with a VPN without breaking your bank? The answer is Atlas VPN! This service has the lowest subscription prices among our recommendations and a costless version with three server options.
The premium Atlas VPN plan boasts 750+ servers across 37+ countries. The fleet includes optimized Streaming and Privacy Pro options for tackling geo-blocks or improving anonymity. Meanwhile, blazing-fast connections are conducted with the modern and open-source WireGuard protocol.
Atlas VPN has an impressive selection of security tools despite its low price. For example, SafeSwap can alter your IP address without interrupting your VPN connection. Moreover, MultiHop+ is available for routing your connection through multiple servers in different regions. And don’t forget about Tracker Blocker and Data Breach Monitoring.
Get the entire package for only $2.05/month by adding an Atlas VPN coupon at checkout. If you’re not ready to subscribe, consider the free plan. Or, sign up without delay and use the 30-day money-back guarantee later.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to change location with a VPN on various devices
Most of us need the best VPN to change location on a wide range of gadgets. However, it’s vital to remember that each device interacts slightly differently with the software. As such, you’ll need to follow different steps to reach the result. You will find various guides below.
Desktop computers (Windows, Mac, Linux)
On desktop devices, a VPN will usually change your location without any issues. However, the emphasis should be on getting trustworthy service for your operating system. We’ve compiled separate lists for each OS.
Free VPNs will not work since they are prone to inadequate security and data leaks. That’s why you shouldn’t cheap out and instead get a well-reviewed premium VPN.
Once you’ve picked out a VPN service, here’s what you need to do to change your location:
- Download the VPN app on your computer. We recommend opting for NordVPN
- Connect to a server in another country
- Use an IP leak checker to verify your connection’s integrity
- Browse securely and privately with a different IP address!
Mobile (Android, iOS)
Things can get tricky on mobile phones. Here, using a VPN to change your location is not enough. Not only is your IP address used to figure out your location, but also your GPS data. Which means You may need an additional app to spoof your GPS information. Sadly, not all VPNs have this functionality, so you need to pay close attention to which VPN you choose.
You can’t go wrong with services specifically optimized for your device. Therefore, we suggest perusing our recommendations for Android and iOS.
With one of these VPNs by your side, changing your location on your phone is a breeze.
- Subscribe to a mobile-friendly VPN service. Our #1 suggestion is NordVPN
- Download and install the VPN software from your device’s app store
- Open the app, log in, and connect to a server to change location
- Enable GPS spoofing in the settings menu (if possible)
- Ensure your IP and GPS location are changed using third-party tools
- Surf the web completely anonymously!
Other devices (Smart TV, Fire TV Stick, and more)
Some gadgets don’t play ball with VPN software and can’t facilitate them. Furthermore, not all VPN services have dedicated apps for specific devices.
Thankfully, there is a workaround – installing a VPN on your router. This will secure your entire home network and change the locations of all devices. Here’s a summary of how that process goes.
- Purchase a router-compatible VPN. I recommend NordVPN, the leader in the industry
- Ensure your home router supports manual configuration
- Access your router by going to its IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.1) on a web browser
- Install the VPN according to your provider’s specifications
- Use another device to verify your IP address changed
- Enjoy changed locations on your entire home network!
However, there is a downside to this. All your devices will be in the same, albeit remote, location. Plus, configuring your router whenever you switch server locations can be a bit cumbersome.
Otherwise, it would be best if you chose a VPN provider with dedicated apps for all your home devices.
- Best VPN for routers
- Best VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
- Best VPN for Android TV Box
- Best VPN for Roku
- Best VPN for LG smart TV
Then you won’t have to worry about complicated setup processes. Plus, dedicated apps include bonus security features and easier customization options.
Why would you want to change your location?
So what’s the point of this hassle anyway? Why would anyone ever want to change their online location to someplace else?
Here are just a few benefits of changing your location with a VPN:
- Reduced prices when shopping online
- Cheap flight tickets
- Staying anonymous while browsing
- Circumventing geographical restrictions
- Security on public Wi-Fi
- Ability to change your Netflix region
- Getting access to geo-blocked sporting event streams
- Getting around internet speed throttling
Having trouble changing your IP and location?
On rare occasions, a VPN can have trouble changing your location. This is more common with low-quality VPN services without proper DNS leak protection. In other cases, a service, such as BBC iPlayer, can recognize your real location.
Whatever the cause, there are a few steps you can take to ensure everything is running smoothly.
- Check for DNS leaks. If your true IP address or DNS requests are leaking, you stand no chance of changing your VPN location. Use websites like dnsleaktest.com and ip.me to ensure nothing is slipping through the cracks.
- Switch to another server. Your VPN won’t trick an online service if your server IP address is flagged. Therefore, you should reconnect if there are no leaks, but the obstacles aren’t subjugated.
- Update your software. Curbing restrictions is much like a game of cat and mouse because everyone is trying to one-up each other. You’ll have the best chance of beating various restrictions by updating your VPN software.
- Enable VPN masking. Some services and networks block all VPN traffic to prevent its use. Thankfully, you can bypass VPN blocks by enabling stealth VPN features or protocols, which vary with each provider.
- Try a browser extension. If you need to change your location for a website, a VPN browser extension will suffice. You can also try it if the VPN application doesn’t do the trick.
- Contact customer service. Running out of ideas? Customer support specialists have plenty of solutions at their disposal.
What else can a VPN do?
Naturally, a VPN is a powerful piece of software and can do much more than change your IP. First and foremost, it’s a security and privacy tool, so it has numerous extra features to block hackers and malicious files. Implementations will differ among providers, but the main features you should be looking for are:
- A kill switch – this feature ensures that your actual IP address doesn’t leak when the VPN connection drops. It disconnects your internet connection whenever the VPN is turned off.
- A variety of tunneling protocols – whether you need swift connection speed or extra security, a good selection of tunneling protocols shows how versatile a VPN app is.
- A huge number of servers – server coverage impacts your chance to get around various geographical restrictions. Also, servers influence the quality of your connection speed.
- Split tunneling – sometimes, you don’t need every application on your device to go through the VPN tunnel. Split tunneling allows you to pick and choose which apps should be secured.
- Port forwarding – this feature improves the speed and security of your P2P activities, especially if you need to seed before downloading.
- Dedicated IP – most VPN services rent data centers filled with shared servers and IP addresses. However, you can get an exclusive IP address that is not shared with anyone else for an extra cost.
Can you change your location with a free VPN?
We briefly mentioned free VPN services previously and that, usually, they aren’t the best method to change your region. Here’s a quick summary of why.
Firstly, they have abysmal server and country selections. Costless services run on paper-thin budgets and cut corners in every possible way. That means fewer options for you.
Additionally, they impose data and speed limitations to reduce network maintenance costs. You can forget about using no-cost VPNs to stream movies or entire seasons of TV shows.
Of course, these restrictions are tolerable if you use a reliable free VPN. If not, the app will collect excess data about you and inject adware into your device. That means picking the wrong provider results in more damage than you’d hoped.
Avoid potential issues and go with free trial VPNs for changing locations. You’ll get a taste of what’s available when signing up. And if you’re ready to jump in, be sure to use a VPN coupon code to secure the best possible discounts.
Whatever your reasons may be for wanting to change your IP address and location – a VPN will cover you. When connected, the most important thing is to check for IP leaks and to make sure that your location changed correctly. However, this is hardly an issue with the top VPN providers as they always work reliably.
What’s your main goal when changing location with a VPN? Does the software work reliably? Share your experiences with the rest of us!
You may also like to read:
How to change Netflix region
How to change location on Tinder
How to watch HBO Max online
How to change region on Steam
How to change your region on Android
How to change country Google Play store
Can I use a VPN on my phone to change my location?
Yes, a VPN is the perfect way to change your location on a mobile phone. However, you need to use a high-quality VPN capable of overriding your GPS location data too. Otherwise, you’ll need a separate GPS spoofing app.
Can you change your location with a free VPN?
Yes, technically, it’s possible, but you’ll have poor results. Firstly, free VPNs don’t have a lot of server and country options. Furthermore, they usually can’t get around geographical restrictions, so you don’t get the benefit of extra foreign content with costless VPNs.
Why is NordVPN not changing location?
There are a few issues that can impede your location-changing efforts with NordVPN. It can be DNS leaks, a blocked IP address, or VPN traffic restrictions. You need to check for leaks with third-party websites like ip.me. Meanwhile, a blocked IP is solved by connecting to another server. Finally, you can curb VPN traffic blocks using obfuscated servers.
Can I change my IP location with a VPN?
Yes, a VPN changes your location and IP address. All you have to do is open the application, select a country, and enable the VPN connection. Then your actual whereabouts are hidden behind the server’s location and IP address while your activities are encrypted.