Traveling abroad can be frustrating when all your favorite websites switch to a foreign language. Furthermore, it’s common knowledge that public Wi-Fi networks in popular tourist destinations are a breeding ground for hackers, data thieves, and other bad actors.
Luckily, A Virtual Private Network (VPN) for Europe can fix these and countless other problems. This software redirects your online connection through remote servers, making it appear that you’re located elsewhere. Plus, encryption makes your activities impenetrable and unreadable to snoopers.
Don’t overlook the best VPN for Europe, which offers plenty of servers on the continent at an affordable price.
Best VPN for Europe: shortlist
- The best VPN for Europe9.7
- Europe VPN with greatest country variety9.3
- Inexpensive VPN for Europe9.1
- Cheapest VPN for Europe travel8.8
- Extremely confidential VPN for Europe8.5
In a rush to get the best VPN service for Europe? Here’s a glance at the top 5 providers and their most noteworthy aspect!
How to use the best VPN for Europe
Why do you need a VPN in Europe?
There are many reasons why users might need a VPN for Europe. For example, you could utilize it for:
- Confidentiality and protection. First and foremost, a virtual private network is a security and privacy tool. Encryption makes your online activities unreadable to potential onlookers, while bonus features block malicious ads and trackers.
- Research a trip to a foreign country. Browsing the web from the region you wish to visit could showcase information typically unavailable to tourists.
- Access cheaper flight tickets. Many online stores, including flight ticket distributors, change prices according to your location. You can use a VPN to change your location and unlock the best possible deals.
- Watch geo-restricted TV shows and movies while traveling. VPNs for travel have servers in various regions worldwide. That means you can use them to access foreign content at home or your usual TV shows and movies while traveling.
We selected the best VPN services for Europe that can do all these things. They have numerous servers across the continent for top-notch connections, no matter where you are.
Best VPNs for Europe in 2022
Europe encompasses a large number of countries. As such, it’s vital that the VPN services for the continent have access to as many regions as possible.
Besides that, essential features for keeping your data secure shouldn’t be overlooked. Therefore, we picked providers with good fundamentals, such as:
- AES-256 encryption
- VPN kill switch
- Fast and secure tunneling protocols
- DNS leak protection
- Tracker blocking
Check out what we consider the 5 best VPNs for Europe. Each provides a unique set of perks so be sure to review them all before making your decision.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Europe
24/7 live chat, Email
- Industry-leading connection speeds
- Independently-audited zero-logs policy
- Loads of features for various scenarios
- Only six simultaneous connections
The ultimate VPN for traveling to Europe and accessing its content from abroad is NordVPN. It’s jam-packed with servers and grants the best security and privacy measures on the market. Give it a shot using the 7-day NordVPN trial.
NordVPN’s fleet consists of 5500+ servers across 59+ countries. Besides regular options, there are specialty servers (obfuscated, Onion over VPN, P2P, dedicated IP) to meet your specific security needs. On the other hand, the fastest possible VPN speeds are ensured with the one-of-a-kind NordLynx tunneling protocol.
You’ll have no trouble watching exclusive European TV anywhere because NordVPN is also the best VPN for streaming. It earned this title because of its unrivaled performance at unblocking geo-restricted movies and facilitating 4K-capable connections. Plus, these benefits are available on practically any device, thanks to SmartPlay.
Don’t overlook the possibility of utilizing a NordVPN coupon to sign up for only $3.09/month. Best of all, each subscription plan is insured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Europe VPN with greatest country variety
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited device connections
- Affordable and effective
- Swift connections with WireGuard
- Some features cost extra
Have a huge group of friends that wants to share a VPN account? Get Surfshark VPN! This service has an excellent price-to-performance ratio and supports unlimited device connections. Get acquainted with this provider by claiming the 7-day Surfshark free trial.
Surfshark stands out from the rest with its diverse selection of 95+ country options worldwide. Additionally, the entire 3200+ server fleet utilizes RAM-only technology to avoid storing excess data on vulnerable hard drives. Meanwhile, blazing-fast connection speeds are guaranteed with WireGuard.
Besides overseas entertainment, Surfshark is a good VPN for travel across Europe due to its abundance of excellent security features. For example, CleanWeb scrubs annoying ads from browsers while the VPN is enabled. Furthermore, NoBorders mode can circumvent even the most robust network restrictions on the planet.
Break down digital borders by purchasing this VPN for only $2.21/month. You’ll get the most significant discounts with a Surfshark discount code at your disposal. Plus, your investment is protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – inexpensive VPN for Europe
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Versatile features
- Lacks WireGuard
A budget-friendly VPN with European servers is PrivateVPN. It uses reliable and tested technologies to provide solid performance in many avenues.
PrivateVPN customers can pick from 200+ servers in 63+ countries. And while the primary tunneling protocol is OpenVPN, connection speeds are enhanced further with High Quality Network. In short, HQN is the practice of buying internet capacity directly from IP transit providers.
Despite its low price, PrivateVPN excels in many coveted VPN use cases. For example, it’s a popular choice among TV connoisseurs using HBO Max or Disney Plus. Meanwhile, torrenting fans enjoy the many benefits of port forwarding. But if you want to stay completely hidden online, use Stealth VPN and purchase this service anonymously with Bitcoin.
Visit the provider’s website and claim the 7-day free trial to get started. Otherwise, use a PrivateVPN coupon code and sign up for a measly $2.00/month. Don’t forget that the 30-day money-back warranty is in place if you change your mind.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – cheapest VPN for Europe travel
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Worthwhile free version
- Ultra-fast and secure
- Limitless connections
- No router firmware
The most frugal users interested in Europe should look no further than Atlas VPN. It gives an explosive bang for your buck and wipes the floor with many expensive services. Plus, you can use it for rudimentary digital security without paying a dime.
The premium Atlas VPN plan unlocks 750+ servers in 37+ countries. On the other hand, unpaying users are limited to three locations – the Netherlands, New York, and Los Angeles. Furthermore, top upload and download speeds are guaranteed with WireGuard, although free users will experience throttling to preserve bandwidth for premium customers.
One Atlas VPN account permits unlimited simultaneous connections, making it a perfect contender for account sharing with your friends. The service is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. The only downside is the absence of router firmware and browser extensions.
Atlas VPN is a solid free VPN for one month in Europe if you don’t mind the 5 GB monthly data limit. Luckily, you can eliminate this limitation using an Atlas VPN discount code and purchasing a paid plan for $1.83/month.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. ProtonVPN – extremely confidential VPN for Europe
Email, knowledge base
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- WireGuard-powered speeds
- Pricier than average
Perhaps you’ll feel safer using a Europe-based VPN service for your travels to the continent. If that’s the case, we recommend ProtonVPN, a trustworthy provider hailing from privacy-respecting Switzerland.
ProtonVPN commands a solid fleet of 1700+ servers in 64+ countries. Additionally, the combination of WireGuard, 10 Gbps servers, and the proprietary VPN Accelerator technology allow this provider to facilitate lightning-fast connection speeds. Plus, you can use one account to secure up to 10 different devices simultaneously.
Swiss jurisdiction is perfect for privacy enthusiasts because the country is not a part of any surveillance groups like the Fourteen Eyes alliance. Furthermore, ProtonVPN conducted an independent audit of its zero-logs policy to confirm robust data security. And if that wasn’t enough, knowledgeable users can verify everything themselves because all apps are open-source.
Get your hands on a ProtonVPN coupon and sign up for only $4.99/month. If that seems like a lot, consider the free plan containing zero data caps. However, keep in mind that each premium plan includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
How we selected VPNs for Europe
Traveling across Europe just to test virtual private network connections sounds ridiculous. Instead, we had to pick a few metrics by which we would compare VPNs against each other and select the best. Here’s a glance at the essential criteria for any VPN for Europe.
- VPN servers in Europe. As the name suggests, a VPN for travel to Europe can only fulfill your requirements with plenty of server hardware across the content. This is essential for unblocking content and ensuring ultra-fast connectivity.
- Connection speeds. The fastest VPN services utilize cutting-edge technologies for efficient data transfer. Specifically, the WireGuard tunneling protocol or some proprietary version of it. Some exceptions exist, but this is the primary feature to keep an eye out for.
- Security features. Visiting distant lands can expose you to dangerous foreign pathogens, including digital viruses. That means your selected VPN for Europe needs a good dose of protection against malicious ads, trackers, and various forms of malware.
- Privacy policies. Trying to keep your escape abroad a secret? Be sure your VPN provider adheres to a strict zero-logs policy. You can be confident that’s the case if it’s not based in a Nine Eyes alliance country and has an audited no-logs policy.
- Subscription price. No matter your European VPN use case, it shouldn’t bankrupt you. Buyers can snag the lowest subscription prices using VPN coupon codes. Plus, most provide a 30-day money-back guarantee as a safety net against buyer’s remorse.
- Device compatibility. We prefer avoiding one-trick pony services that are only compatible with a handful of devices. As such, we selected router-compatible VPNs so you could use them in practically any scenario.
- Customer support. Solving VPN-related issues can be troublesome if you’re unfamiliar with the technology or using a new provider. That’s why we picked services with 24/7 customer support options for access to help no matter which time zone you’re in.
European internet restrictions
Foreigners visiting Europe might be curious about potential internet restrictions across the continent. The situation differs from country to country, but overall, Europe is free from major web limitations.
However, you’ll still come across geo-blocking by online services. For example, some of the TV shows you’ve been watching at home on Netflix might be unavailable while traveling. Meanwhile, US-exclusive platforms will be completely unreachable in Europe.
Thankfully, the best VPNs for Europe are equipped with servers in other continents, too, granting you access to foreign content almost anywhere. Just follow our guide and unlock whatever you want!
How to access region-locked content while traveling Europe with VPN
- Choose a feature-rich VPN for Europe. Our #1 provider is NordVPN
- Install the VPN software on your device
- Connect to a server in the country with access to your desired content
- Enjoy the internet in Europe without roadblocks!
Fixes for VPN issues in Europe
While Europe doesn’t restrict VPN traffic entirely, you may still run into Wi-Fi networks that do. Alternatively, your attempts to unblock geo-restricted content might be thwarted by the online service itself.
Whatever the case, it would be wise to learn how to fix these issues yourself. And if these solutions don’t work, consider contacting customer service.
- Connect to another server. The most common way to limit virtual private networks is by blocking IP addresses. Thankfully, you can easily switch your IP by connecting to another Europe server.
- Check for IP leaks. You won’t be able to unblock foreign websites if your actual IP address or DNS requests are leaking. Check for flaws in your VPN connections on sites like dnsleaktest.com
- Update your software. VPN software must be updated regularly to keep up with the ever-changing cybersecurity landscape. Ensure you’re using the latest version of your VPN app.
- Enable Stealth VPN. Sophisticated networks perform Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) to nullify VPN traffic. Luckily, some of the best services offer Stealth VPN technology to mask your traffic and bypass VPN blocks.
Do we recommend using a free VPN for Europe?
You might think a short trip overseas doesn’t warrant subscribing to a premium virtual private network. Instead, a free VPN for Europe will suffice. Sadly, that’s not the case if you care about quality.
Firstly, even the best free VPN services have only a handful of servers in Europe. Secondly, country options are minimal, usually around 3 across the globe. Not to mention all other limitations that no-cost VPNs impose, such as data caps and fewer features.
If your budget is tight, a cheap VPN provider will suffice. Best of all, many services grant a generous 30-day money-back guarantee. That means you can simply refund the VPN after your trip. But if you’re in for the long haul, be sure to use a VPN discount code for the best possible deals.
Whether you want to travel to Europe securely or simply watch their content from the comfort of your home, a VPN for Europe is essential. It can reroute your web connection through foreign servers, hiding your true IP address and granting a new one. Then you can easily unblock restricted content and stay anonymous anywhere.
Do you need a VPN with European servers for travel or for access to geo-restricted content? Share your most important use cases in the comments section!
How do I change my Netflix to Europe?
You can change your Netflix library using a VPN with servers in your desired region. Each European country has its own selection of TV shows and movies, so you’ll need a virtual private network with servers in a particular area.
Do I need a VPN when traveling to Europe?
Yes, a VPN for traveling to Europe or anywhere else is crucial. It will keep your true location hidden and personal data secure on public Wi-Fi networks. Alternatively, you can use it to connect to your home country and stay up-to-date with local content.
Can I use a VPN in Europe?
Yes, VPN technology is legal in Europe and completely unrestricted. Additionally, using a VPN is recommended to prevent mass surveillance by the Fourteen Eyes alliance. You can do so using our suggested VPNs for Europe.
Is NordVPN good in Europe?
NordVPN is arguably the best VPN for Europe. It has thousands of servers in the region to access foreign content and excellent connectivity. Plus, the abundance of security and privacy features will protect you against hackers targeting tourists.