Since its launch in 2018, TikTok has taken the world by storm. The video platform boasts over 100 million users who frequent the app for their daily dose of entertainment. And there’s plenty of content to go around, from niche interests to dance trends, comedy, commentary, and more. Unfortunately, TikTok is not available everywhere due to originating from China.
Plenty of countries limit the accessibility of the application due to surveillance concerns. If you’re one of the unlucky people that can’t view everything, it’s time to get a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This tool changes your IP address to any other region you want, instantly granting access to TikTok in its full glory. Learn more about it below.
How to change TikTok location with a VPN
- Subscribe to a trustworthy VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN, now 57% off!
- Download the app from the Google Play or Apple App Store
- Connect to a server in a country that doesn’t limit TikTok
- Browse TikTok without restrictions!
Shortlist of the best VPNs for TikTok
- The best VPN to change TikTok region9.6
- TikTok VPN with top-notch privacy9.5
- All-rounder VPN for changing TikTok location9.1
- TikTok VPN with a free version8.9
- Security-first VPN for changing the region on TikTok8.5
Why do you need a VPN for TikTok
It’s no secret that TikTok is owned by a Chinese company – ByteDance. Because of this, governments are sounding alarms about potential espionage via this video app. And there are grounds for concern here as China is notorious for consistently violating its citizens’ rights to privacy. What’s stopping them from doing the same for the rest of the world?
Some countries have severely limited what TikTok users can watch or, in the case of India, outright banned the platform. Find yourself living in one of these locations? Do not fret – there’s nothing a reliable VPN can’t fix. Simply connect to a VPN server in another region, and you’ll be able to watch your favorite creators again.
The best thing about VPNs is that they generally make your online activities safer. All internet traffic gets encrypted with an unbreakable cipher, so no one can snoop on what you’re doing. They also change your IP address, making all actions untraceable back to you. As a bonus, you can view content & websites that are usually unavailable in your country due to blocks.
Best VPNs to change Tiktok location
Those wanting to experience the best of TikTok should invest in a secure VPN ready to do the heavy lifting. First, you will need a wide-ranging server network and lighting-fast speeds to guarantee you have access to all videos and that they don’t buffer.
Having the essential VPN toolkit is also mandatory, as these features ensure you can bypass all geo-blocks in the first place. We’re talking about military-grade encryption, IP & DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Lastly, you can’t forget about streamlined, user-friendly applications for Android and iOS operating systems.
1. NordVPN – #1 VPN for TikTok
24/7 live chat, Email
- Wicked fast due to NordLynx
- Great for torrenting & streaming
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
The most efficient VPN to change your TikTok region is, hands down, NordVPN. It’s packed with robust features, easily circumvents restrictions, and boasts a verified no-logs policy. And with 6 simultaneous connections under the belt, you can secure more than just your mobile device.
5400+ servers across 60+ countries are more than enough to get any regional TikTok content you want. Those living in internet-restrictive regions will also be able to dabble in “forbidden” videos by utilizing obfuscated servers. The best thing about this provider is that you’ll never experience lag – the NordLynx tunneling protocol ensures incredible speeds.
NordVPN, of course, takes care of a lot of security aspects. Subscribers get Threat Protection that shields them from malware, user trackers, and ads. Then there’s the Double VPN feature which routes traffic via two servers for twice the encryption. You can even use split tunneling to select which apps get protected by the VPN and which do not.
Enter a NordVPN discount code before finalizing the purchase to pay no more than $3.49/month for this excellent VPN. The 30-day money-back guarantee protects all subscriptions, and curious cats can test the service beforehand with the free 7-day trial. Just download it from the Google Play Store.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – TikTok VPN with no device limit
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- WireGuard-fuelled speeds
- GPS Spoofing feature
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark VPN is great both for security and entertainment. Besides changing the TikTok region in seconds, you’ll browse, torrent, stream, and game more safely thanks to the versatile VPN toolkit. And if you want to share the account with the whole household, do so freely – all subscriptions come with unlimited connections.
This provider boasts a truly global network, spanning 3200+ servers in 100+ countries. Furthermore, you’ll never have to wait for TikToks to load, not with the next-gen WireGuard protocol. Software Defined Networking (SDN), introduced with the Nexus update, also facilitates low latency by routing all VPN server traffic through one huge network.
Bypassing restrictive firewalls won’t pose an issue, thanks to the Camouflage and NoBorders modes. Online threats will also be neutralized instantly with the CleanWeb feature. As for Android users, they get an extra tool called GPS Spoofing, which masks their device’s GPS location.
$2.30/month isn’t much to pay to change your TikTok location, especially after applying a Surfshark VPN coupon. But first, take the service out for a spin with the 7-day free trial, available via Google Play and Apple App Stores. Then commit risk-free, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – VPN for TikTok with great device compatibility
24/7 live chat
- Broad device support
- Defeats geo-blocks with ease
- Excellent for streaming and P2P
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
Another great candidate for quickly changing your TikTok region is PrivateVPN. As the provider’s name implies, you’ll remain anonymous online no matter what you do. Apart from AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection, you also get Application Guard, which terminates select apps if the VPN connection fails.
The fleet of 200+ servers in 63+ countries is modest, but it works surprisingly well for TikTok and other needs. Those with a keen eye will notice there’s no WireGuard tunneling protocol, yet there’s no need to worry about performance. The combination of OpenVPN and High Quality Network (HQN) ensures excellent speeds at all times of the day.
Live in a country with strict internet censorship? Utilize Stealth VPN to circumvent those pesky blocks. And if you have a particular need for P2P file sharing, PrivateVPN allows torrenting and provides split tunneling, free SOCKS5 proxies, and port forwarding to boot.
Utilize a PrivateVPN code to purchase a versatile VPN with 10 simultaneous connections for only $2.00/month. You can download a 7-day free trial version from the provider’s website before committing. Or just dive right in – the 30-day money guarantee lets you get a refund, after all.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – cheapest VPN to change TikTok region
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Abundance of features for low price
- Limitless connections
- No router configuration
Want to change your region on TikTok without paying more than you have to? Introducing Atlas VPN – one of the cheapest VPNs with excellent performance, great features, and user-friendly mobile apps. What’s more, it also has a free version, albeit with a limited country list (the US and the Netherlands).
Explore foreign TikTok content creators with a sizable network of 750+ servers in 37+ countries. Watching videos (or just browsing the web) will be smooth as butter, too, all due to the trusted WireGuard tunneling protocol. We also have to mention that you’ll get the best quality videos by connecting to streaming-optimized servers.
With Atlas VPN, enhanced security is right at your fingertips. Tracker Blocker, for one, shields you from trackers, malware, and phishing attempts. MultiHop+, on the other hand, makes you virtually untraceable by routing traffic through multiple VPN servers. Or you could just use SafeSwap servers that periodically change your IP address as you surf the web.
Connect to any region you want for $2.05/month – utilizing Atlas VPN coupons might also net you a better deal. If getting US TikTok content is enough, then the free version is all you need. But if you want to access more than that, subscribe from the get-go. The 30-day money-back guarantee has you covered.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – TikTok VPN with all physical hardware
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- No device limit
- VIPRE antivirus software
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
Security-oriented folk should set their sights on IPVanish. It’s handy not only for changing the location on TikTok but also for enhancing your online experience. A subscription nets you Wi-Fi protection, antivirus software, unlimited simultaneous connections, and more. The cherry on top is that the service is reliable due to the certified zero-logs policy.
The provider owns the whole network of 2000+ servers scattered across 50+ countries. You’ll also unblock TikTok and browse the vast selection of videos without experiencing buffering. The extra-fast speeds that facilitate this are achieved with the WireGuard tunneling protocol and the fact there are no virtual servers.
Never worry about accidentally downloading a virus when the VIPRE antivirus has your back. Besides real-time protection, there’s also a setting that hides all VPN traffic to break through such censorship measures as the Great Firewall of China. It’s aptly called the OpenVPN Scramble feature.
Unlock TikTok’s full potential for only $3.99/month after using an IPVanish discount code during the purchase. While there’s no free or trial version to test beforehand, it’s not an issue. Take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee and assess the service for free for a whole month.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we selected these VPNs for TikTok
Many providers promise they can do almost everything when some fall frustratingly short in reality. That’s why it’s crucial to know what to look for in your potential TikTok VPN:
- Global reach. TikTok is available worldwide, so being able to explore as many regions as possible is a must. A suitable VPN should come with a server network that spans all continents, not just the US or Europe.
- Optimal performance. Routing the internet through a secure tunnel affects your speeds, unfortunately. That’s why we recommend utilizing the fastest VPNs with the latest tunneling protocols like WireGuard. They ensure low latency, making the loss of speed barely noticeable.
- Security & privacy. There are certain features you can’t do without if you really want to be able to bypass geo-blocks effectively. These are AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection. Another vital aspect is the no-logs policy, which assures the VPN provider isn’t collecting any information about you.
- Versatility. VPNs are useful for more than just changing your region on TikTok. It’s worth looking into whether the service can bypass streaming platform geo-blocks, allows torrenting, works well with online games, etc.
- Reasonable price. Don’t pay an excessive amount of money for a VPN that can only do the bare minimum. There’s no harm in trying a cheaper service if they have the features and capabilities you need. Most come with 30-day money-back guarantees, so you can always get a refund.
Where is TikTok banned
Seemingly harmless to your average user, TikTok has garnered negative attention from various governments around the world. And it’s not always because Chinese citizens created the video platform.
|Banned||China – can only use the Chinese version of the app, called Douyin|
India – unavailable due to Chinese origin and various security threats associated with that
|Banned in the past||Armenia – to prevent potential provocations during the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in 2020|
Azerbaijan – to prevent potential provocations during the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in 2020
Pakistan – because of inappropriate content
|Censored||Bangladesh – because of inappropriate content|
Indonesia – because of inappropriate content
|TikTok pulled its services||Russia – Russians can’t post new videos as of 2022 due to the ongoing conflict in Ukraine|
Hong Kong – pulled because of China’s new security laws
Live in one of the countries listed above? Time to utilize the best TikTok VPNs and enjoy the service anytime you want.
How TikTok detects location
Those constantly on the go have surely noticed how the videos showing up on the TikTok feed change depending on the region. The entertainment platform detects a user’s location using several factors.
|IP address||Every device connected to a network has a string of numbers assigned to it to help differentiate it from others. It also includes information about your location.|
|SIM card||Mobile network providers tend to operate in one country, so TikTok can discern your actual whereabouts based on the SIM card.|
|Device GPS||Mobile devices have GPS tracking modules that triangulate your position with satellites|
Add these up, and it’s pretty clear how TikTok gives you relevant content anywhere you go without fail. The problem is that going to another country just to see regional videos isn’t feasible. And that’s why VPNs are so helpful for this.
How to change TikTok location on different devices
TikTok has Android and iOS applications, and you can view content on your browser. We go over each case step-by-step – just remember to subscribe to a suitable VPN for your OS for the process to go smoothly.
Change TikTok region on iOS
- Subscribe to a VPN suitable for iOS devices. Those looking for intuitive, streamlined applications will find NordVPN appealing.
- Download the application from the Apple App Store
- Log into your VPN account
- Disable GPS tracking on your phone
- Connect to a server in any country you want
- Open TikTok and enjoy new content!
Change TikTok region on Android
- Sign up for an Android-compatible VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN, the best VPN in the industry.
- Get the VPN app from the Google Play Store
- Boot up the client and log into your account
- Disable GPS tracking on your phone
- Pick a server in a region that suits your needs the most
- Congratz, you’ve unlocked TikTok’s full potential!
Change TikTok region on PC
- Get a VPN that works on Windows and mac operating systems. NordVPN offers the same features on both platforms.
- Download the VPN client from the provider’s official website
- Open the VPN and log into your device
- Select a server and connect to it
- Open your browser, navigate to TikTok, and explore new regional videos!
Can’t change TikTok region with a VPN: solutions
Now, sometimes the VPN glitches out, and you might get the same old boring content you’re trying to run away from. Thankfully, in most cases, it’s something you can fix yourself.
Here are some troubleshooting steps worth trying out:
- Change VPN server. You might’ve connected to a country that limits TikTok or has outright banned it (India, for example). No need to fret – just connect to a different region and see if that helps.
- Disable GPS tracking. VPNs can’t mask your GPS location unless they offer a specific feature for that, like GPS spoofing. For now, it’s in your best interest to disable the GPS tracking from your phone’s Settings menu.
- Test for IP & DNS leaks. IP addresses and DNS requests contain information about your actual location. And if one or the other is leaking, then it’s no wonder you can’t change your TikTok location. Check whether your IP and DNS are visible and toggle all the VPN security features on. Just in case, it’s also recommended to switch the tunneling protocols.
- Delete browser cookies. Web cookies stored in your browser’s cache also contain data about your whereabouts. Clearing the cache should take care of the issue.
There’s always the possibility that your current VPN just isn’t capable of bypassing TikTok’s content restrictions. In that case, you’ll be better off switching to a TikTok VPN that can do its job, like NordVPN.
How to change TikTok location without a VPN
It’s possible to change the region on TikTok without the use of a VPN. It’s just that they’re not a surefire way to do so. Still, it’s worth a shot.
Buying a foreign SIM card
As we’ve covered before, TikTok checks your SIM card credentials for location information. So, the obvious solution is to get a mobile card from another country. Just keep in mind that you’ll have to disable your phone’s GPS tracking feature for this to work.
- Get an international SIM card
- Insert the SIM card into the phone’s SIM slot
- IOS DEVICES: delete the TikTok application and reinstall it
- ANDROID DEVICES: delete TikTok’s app data and cache
- Boot up TikTok, and enjoy new content
Adding a new language
TikTok has this interesting feature where the app’s language also determines what content you see. Thus, if you’ve set your language to, let’s say, French or German, you’re going to see videos from those regions. All you have to do is add other relevant ones.
- Open the TikTok application and press on Profile which you’ll find at the bottom of the screen
- There are three lines at the top right of the screen. Press on them.
- A new menu will appear. Pick Settings and privacy from the list.
- Then go to Content preferences > Video languages > Add language
- Select the languages you want and then press Done
Following foreign content creators
The kind of people you follow on the TikTok apps also affects your For You page. It also takes into account what kind of videos you tend to watch until the end, what content you Like, and what you decide to block from the feed.
You can get more varied content by searching for specific creators through the Search function. Alternatively, you can use the Discover tab to see what TikTok itself is recommending for you today.
TikTok has anything for all kinds of interests, even the most niche ones, so it’s no wonder so many people use it. Still, limitations imposed by some governments do sour the experience for a lot of users.
Thankfully, changing your TikTok location to get more varied content is possible with the right tools – VPNs. Such providers as NordVPN have all the right tools to bypass any restrictions and the latest tunneling protocols to ensure an excellent viewing experience. The fact they protect your online activities as well is certainly a nice bonus.
Have you used a VPN to change the region on TikTok? How did it go? Let us know in the comments below!
You may also like to read:
Change App Store country
Change location on Bumble
Change location on Hinge
Change location on iPhone
Change location on Android
Change location on Steam
Change location on Snapchat
Does a VPN work for TikTok?
Yes, VPNs work on TikTok. You’ll be able to change your location in seconds and benefit from enhanced security simultaneously. Plus, using such tools doesn’t go against the platform’s Terms of Service, so there’s no fear that your account will get suspended.
Which free VPN is best for TikTok?
The best free VPN for TikTok is Proton VPN. It has 147 servers across 3 countries (US, NL, JP), one simultaneous connection, and VPN Accelerator to boost speeds worldwide.
Which VPN can unblock TikTok?
The best VPNs, such as NordVPN, Surfshark VPN, and PrivateVPN, can unblock TikTok. They include robust geo-block circumvention tools, global networks, and excellent speed that ensure fast video loading times.
Why TikTok is not working with VPN?
TikTok might not be working with a VPN for several reasons. You should try switching to another VPN server, disable your phone’s GPS tracking, and clearing the browser’s web cookie cache.
Does NordVPN work for TikTok?
Yes, NordVPN works with TikTok, and it’s the best VPN for changing your region in TikTok. The provider offers suitable servers in all continents, the in-house NordLynx protocol for lighting-fast speeds, and versatile features that will be handy for other online activities.