Finding how to change region on Steam is getting harder due to the restrictions from Valve. That means region-exclusive games and prices are out of reach for the everyday user. And while it’s possible to circumvent this geo-blocking with a reliable VPN, there still are some nuances you should know before you change Steam region.
For starters, Steam only lets you change your currency once every 3 months. That means you won’t be able to jump through regions willy-nilly. And apart from a plethora of other things, you’ll require a billing address from your wanted Steam country.
So, in this article, you’ll find methods on how to change Steam region with a VPN. We’ll also tell you about things you should keep in mind when bypassing Steam region blocks.
How to Change Region on Steam with VPN
- Get a reliable VPN with loads of servers in cheap Steam countries. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Install the service and connect to a server in Argentina or Turkey, for example
- Select Account details in your Steam account settings
- Press Update Store Country and add the new billing address
- Now get brand new Steam games for way cheaper!
Why you need a VPN for Steam
Users already know that not all Steam content is available for everyone. Some games are blocked in certain regions, meaning you won’t access them without changing your Steam location. Luckily, the best Steam VPN will help you avoid this issue.
If you change your Steam location, you’ll get to enjoy better prices. Some countries like Argentina or Turkey offer lower game prices on Steam. Thus, with the top gaming VPN, you can connect to these countries, use a local payment option, and scoop games for a few dollars!
A VPN is also beneficial for security and privacy while gaming. A reliable virtual private network hides your IP, encrypts your data, and protects you from DDoS attacks. Not to mention snoopers and malicious actors will have a hard time compromising you.
Lastly, a VPN will prevent your ISP from throttling your bandwidth while gaming, streaming, or torrenting. So, when you turn on a VPN, there’s no way to determine what exactly you are doing, meaning there’s no reason to limit your internet speed.
Main things to keep in mind before changing Steam region
Before you change your Steam Store location and get all the exciting games and new content, you should keep a few things in mind:
- You’ll need a local billing address if you want to swap your Steam Store location. Otherwise, you won’t be able to buy games from countries like Argentina or Turkey. So, message your overseas friends and family and ask for their addresses and zip code.
- You can only change your Steam region and currency every 3 months. This is Valve’s method of dealing with region-hoppers who want to quickly get the best deals elsewhere.
- You’ll need a local payment card or Steam Wallet, especially if you’re in Russia. If you don’t, you will most likely get banned.
- Changing your Steam region may affect multiplayer games. It’s important to check with friends and make sure you will still be able to play together before making the change.
- Choose a VPN with loads of servers globally. You should especially look for a service that offers pieces of hardware in Turkey, Argentina, Ukraine, or India.
Changing your country just so you could get cheaper games or discounts is against Steam’s Terms of Services. Therefore, they have a full right to suspend or ban your account. We do not condone illegal activity. Thus, change your location at your own risk.
How to change your Steam region with a VPN: a detailed guide
By now, you’ve probably read about the importance of a VPN and what you should keep in mind when changing Steam location. So, if you’re ready to make the switch, here’s a detailed guide on how to swap your Steam region:
- Download a top-tier Steam VPN, such as NordVPN, and launch it
- Choose a server in a country where Steam games are cheap. In this example, we’ll connect to a server in Argentina
- Head to Steam and open up Store
- Add the game of your choice to your cart. You won’t have to buy anything right away, it’s just a mandatory step to swap your currency and region
- Inside the Shopping Cart select your preferred country. The region list should be in the upper right corner
- Select the country of your choice in the new popup window
- Proceed to checkout when the price of the game changes
- Enter the payment method details. Remember, your billing address has to be in a country of your choice
- Outstanding! Now you can get all of your fave games for way less!
3 best VPNs to change the region on Steam
Top Steam VPNs should have a solid server list and provide global coverage. This way, you’ll be able to access games and discounts in other regions. Also, look for a service that can unlock geo-blocked content and avoid Steam detection.
Last but not least comes speed. All VPNs slow down your connection to some extent, but only the fastest VPNs for Steam will allow you to play without latency.
So, here are a few great VPN choices to change region in Steam:
- NordVPN – the best VPN to change region on Steam. It offers thousands of servers globally, including in countries like Argentina and Turkey. Plus, it provides obfuscated servers, which will hide the fact that you are using a VPN. Not to mention, it’s super secure and private.
- Surfshark VPN – a multi-device VPN with infinite connections that will help you change currency on Steam. It’s fast, safe, and all-round excellent service. Additionally, Camouflage mode will allow you to bypass firewalls and access Steam in Highly restricted countries.
- PrivateVPN – a small yet highly capable service for bypassing Steam region blocks. It has servers in Argentina, Turkey, and India, so you’ll have plenty of options to choose from. Moreover, it performs well, and it won’t break the bank.
Can’t change Steam region with a VPN? This is how to fix it
You might be facing issues when changing your Steam country and currency. The most common problem is that Steam detects your actual whereabouts and forbids you from changing your country when buying games. Nevertheless, before freaking out and yeeting your computer through the window, you can try these simple solutions:
- Try a different server, as it might be down, or the IP address that you got assigned is already blacklisted.
- Check for IP & DNS leaks, and be sure to turn on your kill switch. These leaks usually disclose your real location.
- Turn off your anti-malware software for a short period of time, as it might interfere with VPN activity.
- Contact customer support, or if they can’t help, maybe it’s time to choose a new VPN that actually works with Steam?
Get the most reliable Steam VPN
NordVPN will satisfy your gaming needs and will help you bypass geo-blocks easily. It’s secure, private, and super fast, so playing online will be a breeze. Additionally, with all the servers globally, you’ll have plenty of Steam countries to choose from.
Can you get banned for changing Steam region?
Let’s get it straight – using a VPN with Steam is legal. However, that comes with a few caveats. One, you can’t use a VPN to bypass geo-blocking. Two, you can’t use a VPN to get better deals elsewhere.
If you do that, Valve has all the rights to cancel your account. Luckily, that doesn’t always happen straight away. Sometimes, suppose Steam catches you changing location frequently. In that case, it may offer a temporary cooldown period during which you’ll be locked to your current country.
This can happen if you’ve changed countries during the last two weeks. The same cooldown applies if you’ve bought something from another country within the last 48 hours. However, if you pay with the local currency, you can change country as many times as you want.
Which countries is Steam unavailable in?
Steam, owned by Valve, is one of the biggest and most well-known game distributors in the world. Its reach is far and wide, as you can use the service in 180+ countries globally. That includes Argentina, Turkey, India, Taiwan, the British Virgin Islands, and many more. However, there are a few exceptions.
Steam is completely unavailable in North Korea, Syria, Cuba, Sudan, and Iran due to US sanctions. As for China, you can find the Steam app, but it will be very limited. Moreover, the platform has restricted payments made from Russia and Belarus.
So, if you find yourself in one of these countries, we suggest getting a Steam-friendly VPN that will give you access to all that the service has to offer.
Best countries for changing Steam region for cheaper games
If you’re a US, UK, or Japanese gamer, you don’t want to pay ridiculous sums of money for the most popular games on Steam. Luckily, with a handy VPN, you can change your location and connect to a country where the same content costs pennies.
If you don’t know where to start, we found places where video games are highly affordable. As an example, we checked the prices of the brand new Hogwarts Legacy game:
|Steam region||Converted Hogwarts Legacy price|
There are many benefits of using a virtual private network. For starters, it will be a lot easier to change your Steam region with a VPN. That way, you’ll get to enjoy games earlier. Plus, you’ll be able to get them cheaper if you connect to the right server. And even if you don’t want to do that, a reliable VPN is an excellent tool to keep yourself safe and private while using Steam and playing multiplayer online games.
And you should settle for nothing but the best. Therefore, we nominate NordVPN as the best VPN for changing Steam country and currency. It has loads of servers in Steam-friendly countries, so you won’t have to worry about overcrowded servers. Not to mention, it’s fast, secure, and offers loads of nifty features that will make your gaming experience even more enjoyable.
Have you tried changing your Steam country? Which VPN did you use? Let us know by leaving a comment.
You may also like to read:
How to change Netflix region
How to change Pokemon Go location
Best VPN for PS4 & PS5
Best VPN for Xbox
How to change location with a VPN
How to change Android phone location
How can I change my Steam country?
The best option to swap your Steam region is by changing your IP address with a VPN. Plus, you’ll need a local billing address and payment card to swap your currency. Another option is to physically move to a country like Argentina or Turkey to get Steam games cheaper. However, it’s a very expensive choice.
Can you change Steam region for cheaper games?
Yes, you can get cheaper games on Steam if you change your country and currency. For that, you’ll need a premium Steam VPN like NordVPN, a local billing address, and a valid payment card. Remember, you’ll only be able to swap your Steam location only once in 3 months. Additionally, you can get banned if you get caught doing that.
Why can’t I change my Steam region?
Changing Steam country is impossible if your billing information doesn’t match your chosen location. Therefore, if you decide to swap your Steam country, use a local payment card or get a gift card from the same country, for example, Argentina.
Can you get banned for using a VPN on Steam?
Yes, you can get blocked on Steam if you use a shoddy VPN. Therefore, if you want to avoid bans and other issues on Steam, pick the best service out there, such as NordVPN. It’s fast, reliable, and almost undetectable by Steam.