The Sony PlayStation emerged over 20 years ago, achieved massive success and is now a common household gaming machine. It’s affordable, easy to use, and packed with exclusive games. The latest generations are the PS4 and PS5 and continue to get new game releases.
But just like any other internet-connected device, the console is prone to viruses, exploits, and privacy breaches. Additionally, the many online services it provides are plagued by geographical restrictions and other limitations.
Luckily, this can be fixed using a VPN for PlayStation. But choosing the correct provider is vital since the PS4 and PS5 don’t support virtual private network software. Read on to learn more.
Best VPN for PS4 and PS5: shortlist
- The best VPN for PS4 and PS59.7
- Playstation VPN with excellent security9.5
- Affordable VPN for PS4 and PS59.0
- Playstation VPN with a DD-WRT applet8.8
- Well-rounded PS4 and PS5 VPN8.4
How to use a VPN on Playstation
- Purchase a router-compatible VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Configure your home router with a VPN connection
- Connect your PlayStation to the VPN-enabled router network
- Play games on PS4 or PS5 privately!
Why do you need a VPN for PlayStation?
First, let’s briefly discuss how a VPN works. Essentially, it redirects your internet connection through a remote encrypted server. This process makes your online activities unreadable to your ISP and other potential onlookers. Additionally, your actual IP address is replaced with the server’s address.
A virtual private network allows users to circumvent geographical restrictions, hide from surveillance, and stay anonymous online. Plus, the best VPN services are available on many different platforms, including desktop, mobile, and certain home entertainment systems.
Unfortunately, gaming consoles like the PS4 and PS5 don’t support VPN software natively. Instead, customers need to utilize other setup methods to reap these benefits on their gaming devices. For example, you can install a VPN on your router to secure all devices on your home network. Alternatively, you’ll need to create a Wi-Fi hotspot using another device with a VPN installed.
Don’t worry; we’ll provide plenty of guides on using a VPN for PS4 and PS5. Just make sure to sign up for our recommended console-compatible providers.
Best VPNs for Playstation: overview
- NordVPN – the best VPN for PlayStation
- Surfshark VPN – PS4 and PS5 VPN with unlimited connections
- PrivateVPN – cheap and reliable PlayStation VPN
- PureVPN – PS4 and PS5 VPN with quantum-resistant encryption
- IPVanish – VPN for PS4 and PS5 with malware protection
Since the PS4 and PS5 don’t support VPN software, you’ll need to choose a provider configurable on routers. Then you’ll be able to enjoy the many benefits of a virtual private network on practically any device, including consoles and smart TVs.
Besides that, the service must be extremely fast to ensure lag-free online gaming. This is guaranteed when using modern tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard. Plus, a wide array of servers worldwide for minimal downtime and access to foreign content.
Finally, a secure VPN needs bonus features against malicious ads, trackers, viruses, and malware. This isn’t essential for console gamers, but it will prove beneficial when using the VPN in other scenarios.
1. NordVPN – the ultimate PlayStation VPN
24/7 live chat, Email
- Smart DNS for convenient installation
- Exceptionally fast and secure
- Independently-audited zero-logs policy
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for PS4 and PS5. It has multiple installation options for the console and a boatload of features for keeping users secure and anonymous online. Take it for a spin using the 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store.
Console gamers can utilize NordVPN on PlayStation by installing the service on a router or via Smart DNS. Whichever method you choose, connectivity will be top-notch, thanks to the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol, an upgraded version of WireGuard. Additionally, unblocking exotic foreign content will be a breeze when connecting to over 5500 servers in 59+ countries.
Once you’re done gaming, the service will protect your online activities using Threat Protection. This feature blocks ads, trackers, and even malware. Furthermore, customer data is well taken care of because NordVPN is based in Panama and passed multiple independent audits of its zero-logs policy.
Secure your PS4 or PS5 with this provider by signing up for $3.09/month. The best possible deals are guaranteed when using a NordVPN discount code. If you’re not satisfied, the 30-day money-back guarantee has you covered.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – excellent VPN for PlayStation with Smart DNS
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited connections
- Swift connections with WireGuard
- Greatest country variety
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark VPN is perfect for gamers who own an ungodly number of consoles. The service supports unlimited device connections and provides exceptional performance at a low price. If you’re not ready to sign up immediately, consider the 7-day Surfshark free trial on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
Lag-free gaming with Surfshark is guaranteed, thanks to the open-source and ultra-fast WireGuard protocol. Additionally, the Nexus update introduced SDN (Software Defined Networking) technology into the mix for even greater performance, security, and anonymity. And if the regular VPN package isn’t enough, Surfshark One adds antivirus protection.
Surfshark is one of the cheapest VPN options for PS4 and PS5 with Smart DNS. This feature grants VPN benefits (minus encryption) on gaming consoles without installing apps or configuring your home router. Unfortunately, not using an application means missing out on features like CleanWeb, NoBorders Mode, and IP Rotator.
Game on PlayStation privately and sign up for this service for only $2.21/month. The best deals are reserved for Surfshark coupon holders, so make sure you don’t miss your chance to get one. Best of all, all subscriptions are protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – budget-friendly VPN for anonymous gaming
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Excellent for dealing with geo-blocking
- Lacks WireGuard
Frugal gamers should definitely check out PrivateVPN. The service costs only $2.00/month when signing up for three years. And if you’re not ready to commit, there’s a 7-day free trial available.
PrivateVPN operates a relatively small network of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. Connectivity is optimized by purchasing internet capacity directly from IP transit providers, a practice that most VPN providers don’t do. Additionally, VPN connections are conducted with the age-old OpenVPN tunneling protocol.
Besides secure gaming on PlayStation, PrivateVPN is an excellent choice for torrenting. That’s because the provider has the coveted port forwarding feature for optimizing P2P performance. On the other hand, network restrictions are a thing of the past when enabling Stealth VPN.
Don’t miss your chance to protect yourself online at a low price and get a PrivateVPN discount code ASAP. Plus, you can always reconsider, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. PureVPN – affordable PlayStation VPN for PS4 and PS5
24/7 live chat
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Quantum-resistant encryption
- Wicked-fast with WireGuard
- Some features cost extra
PureVPN is another affordable provider with excellent features for keeping your gaming and other online activities masked. Plus, it employs cutting-edge technology for peak performance and security.
Gamers don’t need to worry about latency because the modern WireGuard tunneling protocol will keep it low while PureVPN is enabled. Meanwhile, future-proof protection is guaranteed with quantum-resistant encryption to prevent futuristic computers from ever deciphering your online activities.
PureVPN commands an impressive array of 6500+ servers in 70+ countries. All of them support 10 Gbit connections, so there’s no need to worry about speed caps. Plus, there are specialized servers for P2P and streaming to ensure convenient access to customer needs.
A taste of this service is possible by shelling out $0.99 for a 7-day trial. Once that’s over, a PureVPN coupon unlocks $1.99/month subscription costs. Lastly, the 31-day money-back guarantee gives plenty of time to reconsider.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
5. IPVanish – versatile VPN for online gaming and security
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Limitless device connections
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Fast, secure, and reliable
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish is a reasonably-priced and reliable VPN for PlayStation. It has excellent connectivity and good privacy practices for maximizing anonymity online.
Short loading times while browsing or gaming are ensured with the well-renowned WireGuard tunneling protocol. There’s no shortage of connection options either – IPVanish has 2000+ bare-metal servers in 50+ countries. Best of all, one subscription allows unlimited device connections, allowing you to share an account with your friends.
Although based in the US, IPVanish is reliable in the privacy department because of its independently-audited no-logs policy. If that wasn’t enough, the OpenVPN scramble feature allows customers to make their connection appear as regular web traffic and circumvent VPN blocks. Malicious files aren’t a problem either with the assistance of VIPRE antivirus software.
Use an IPVanish coupon and get the complete package for only $3.33/month. And while there’s no free trial, the 30-day money-back guarantee is more than enough for care-free testing.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we picked the best VPN for PS4 and PS5
There are a lot of criteria to consider when choosing a VPN for PS4 or PS5. Naturally, some aspects are more important than others, so we outlined them below in order of importance.
- Compatibility. A VPN for PlayStation is unusable if it doesn’t provide alternative installation options. At the very least, it needs to be installable on routers. Besides that, Smart DNS and similar features are also prioritized.
- Speed. Nothing is more frustrating than lag during online gaming. A fast VPN keeps latency low using modern tunneling protocols and other efficiency improvements. You can check which providers perform the best via our speed test tool.
- Security. Sadly, the lack of dedicated apps for PS4 and PS5 means console gamers don’t benefit from bonus security features while gaming. Instead, they’re only protected by encryption. However, we can’t overlook the excellent features available for other daily-use devices.
- Servers. A wide-reaching server network improves connection speeds and unlocks a diverse selection of foreign content, such as exclusive video games.
- Privacy. Most countries don’t restrict online games, so there’s no need for absolute confidentiality while gaming. Unless, of course, you don’t want anyone to know what games you’re playing. Plus, a VPN outside Fourteen Eyes’ jurisdiction is perfect for avoiding mass surveillance.
- Price. The most expensive virtual private networks are not necessarily the best. That’s why we picked providers that balance affordability and solid performance on PlayStation and other devices.
- Customer support. Setting a VPN on consoles isn’t as straightforward as installing it on a computer or smartphone. Therefore, users should have the option to contact customer support specialists 24/7.
How to set up a VPN on PS4 and PS5 console
Once you’ve decided on your priorities and a provider, you’ll need to set up the VPN to reap all the benefits on your PlayStation. There’s a fair number of options available, all of which have certain advantages and disadvantages.
Installing the VPN on a router
Our first suggestion for getting a VPN on PS4 and PS5 is to install the VPN on your router. All our recommended services provide this option. However, the problem is that the process will differ based on your chosen provider and router model. That means you’ll need to search for a specific guide on the provider’s website or contact customer service for assistance.
We have an extensive guide on how to install a VPN on a router. In general, these are the necessary steps.
- Subscribe to a VPN that’s manually configurable on routers. Our #1 choice is NordVPN
- Download the configuration files to a device on the router network. Using a computer is the most convenient way to accomplish this
- Access your router by typing in its network gateway address in a browser window. A typical address looks like 192.168.1.1
- Reconfigure the router by following specific instructions for your model
- Verify that everything works correctly by checking the IP address of a device on the router network
- Connect your PlayStation to the router network and start gaming securely!
Sharing the VPN connection through a computer
Perhaps you don’t want all your household devices rerouting their traffic through VPN servers. In that case, you can install the virtual private network on a device capable of becoming a Wi-Fi hotspot. Then you can share the connection wirelessly with your PlayStation device.
Of course, this comes with the downside of increased latency compared to a wired connection. Additionally, the setup depends on your device’s operating system. We’ll guide you through the process on Windows and Mac computers.
How to share a VPN connection with PS4 and PS5 via Windows PC
- Install the VPN on your computer. We recommend using NordVPN on Windows devices
- Go to the Settings menu, click on Network & internet, then on Mobile hotspot. Turn on this option
- Head back to the Network & internet menu and click on Advanced network settings, then More network adapter options
- Right-click on the VPNs adapter and open the Sharing tab under Properties
- Click the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection option
- Pick your hotspot connection from Home Networking Connection
- Launch the VPN app and connect to a server
- Boot up your PlayStation, go to Settings, then Network, Connect to the internet, Use Wi-Fi, and choose your mobile hotspot
- Enjoy an encrypted connection while using PS4 or PS5!
How to share a VPN connection with PS4 and PS5 via macOS
- Download the VPN app on your macOS device. Our top suggestion is NordVPN
- Go to System preferences, click Sharing, and then internet Sharing
- Choose VPN as the Share your connection from option. After that, pick Wi-Fi as the setting for To computers using
- Click Wi-Fi options and pick a name and password for your hotspot connection
- Ensure that Wi-Fi is enabled on your device
- Start the VPN application and connect to any available server
- Turn on your PS4 or PS5 and connect to the internet via the newly-created hotspot. Pick “do not use as proxy server” if prompted
- Game on PlayStation securely!
Using Smart DNS
- Subscribe to a VPN with Smart DNS capabilities. I recommend using NordVPN
- Visit the provider’s website, log in, and head to the account dashboard
- Make sure a VPN connection isn’t enabled and activate Smart DNS. Your actual IP address needs to be activated for Smart DNS to work
- You should receive primary and secondary DNS addresses necessary for further configuration
- Boot up your PlayStation and go to the network settings menu
- Pick Wi-Fi or LAN cable depending on whether you’re using a wired or wireless internet connection on your console
- Choose Automatic, Do Not Specify, Manual
- Input the DNS addresses you received earlier
- Continue the setup by picking Automatic, Do Not Use
- Select Test your internet connection
- Restart your console, and voilà!
Is it possible to use a free VPN for Playstation?
It sounds tempting to use a free VPN on PlayStation and unlock the many perks it provides without any monetary investment. However, there are a few reasons this is too good to be true.
Firstly, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a no-cost VPN that’s configurable on routers or has Smart DNS. Sharing the connection wirelessly is possible, but then you’ll have to deal with abysmally slow connections. After all, free virtual private networks usually throttle connection speeds.
If that wasn’t enough, costless VPNs are notorious for other limitations, such as data caps, subpar security features, and small server selections. Unreliable providers go so far as to collect user data and sell it to offset the lack of a subscription.
Overall, there’s no reliable free VPN for Playstation worth recommending. Frugal gamers can alternate between VPNs with free trials to see which works best for them. After that, signing up is a reasonably low-cost endeavor when using VPN coupon codes.
Since the PlayStation doesn’t support virtual private network software, using a VPN on PS4 and PS5 requires a workaround. Specifically, you’ll have to configure a router, use Smart DNS, or share a connection from another device. However, it’s all worth the effort because of the numerous security and privacy benefits, plus access to geo-restricted content. Don’t forget to sign up for a provider with all these perks, such as NordVPN.
Which method do you use to secure your PlayStation with a VPN? Was the installation process easy? Share your experience by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Xbox
Best VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick
Best VPN for LG Smart TV
How to change App Store country
How to watch F1 TV Pro from anywhere
How to play FanDuel with a VPN
Can you use a VPN on PS4 and PS5?
Yes, it’s possible to use a VPN on PS4 and PS5. However, the console doesn’t support VPN software natively, so you’ll need to use alternative methods of setting a VPN on PlayStation. Options include router configuration, Smart DNS, and internet sharing through other devices.
What is the best VPN for PS4 and PS5?
NordVPN is the best VPN for PS4 and PS5. The service has multiple setup options for PlayStation and provides top-notch performance with its impressive technology stack. For example, the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol is exceptionally-fast, while the server fleet spans over 5500 servers in 60+ countries.
How to use VPN on PS4 without a PC?
You can use a VPN on PS4 without a PC by installing the VPN on a router or by utilizing Smart DNS. The first method requires using a router-compatible provider. On the other hand, the second method is limited to a handful of providers, such as NordVPN and Surfshark VPN.
Is it legal to use a VPN with PS4 and PS5?
Yes, most countries don’t restrict VPN usage and allow accessing geo-restricted content on any device. However, some online platforms mention in their terms of service that location altering software is not allowed. Luckily, there are usually no serious consequences for using a VPN.