PlayStation is by far the best-known and go-to entertainment system globally. New generations of these gaming consoles let us not only play our favorite video games but also watch movies or stream shows. Even though media became more and more digital, access to it started to become handicapped by geo-blocking.
Fortunately, every locked door can be unlocked and geo-blockades are no exception. If you want to get the newest games first, watch any streaming library or get the best deals, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is your key.
Here we’ll show and tell how to change the region on PS4 and PS5 consoles with a VPN.
How to change PSN region on PlayStation with VPN
- Grab a fast and trustworthy VPN with servers in your chosen region. Our best pick is NordVPN, currently at 67% off
- Install the VPN on your router
- Connect to a server in your desired region
- Register a new PSN account in the region you want to access
- Browse international PSN stores in the chosen regions
Top VPNs to change PSN region
- Best VPN to change PSN region9.7
- Widest coverage VPN for PSN9.5
- Budget-friendly VPN for Playstation9.1
Why do you need to change PSN region?
A Playstation VPN can change your IP address and make it look like you’re anywhere in the world you want to be. This, along with other features, like Smart DNS or advanced tunneling protocols, can do wonders for content accessibility on your personal PS5 or PS4 console.
The choice of the region when creating your PlayStation Network (PSN) account is a permanent one. It means no matter what you do or what VPN you’re using, the account region is locked-in once you finalize your registration. Having that in mind, there are some enticing reasons why you might want to play around it with a good gaming VPN.
- Region-exclusive deals. Some countries not only get exclusive sales but even different service subscription fees and base prices for games.
- Better connection. Playing with foreign friends leads to some unwanted lag? Not with a VPN. Get a smoother experience by connecting to a VPN server near them.
- Unlocking geo-blocked content. As a full entertainment system, PlayStation brings a whole bunch of streaming services to the comfort of your couch. Full global libraries of Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, and Apple TV+ can be at your fingertips with the help of a VPN.
- PlayStation Now game streaming anywhere. This cloud-gaming service is region-restricted to only a few countries as of now. Access PlayStation Now worldwide with a top VPN.
- Early access. Some games are released on different dates in different regions. With the recently released “Hogwarts Legacy”, for example, a person living in California could have won full 21 hours by connecting to New Zealand. Jumping the region might score you a head start with your most anticipated titles too.
Best VPNs to change PSN region
Choosing the right VPN for gaming consoles is a bit different than picking one for your smartphone or PC. Since PlayStation hardware doesn’t support VPNs natively, here we should mainly focus on Smart DNS, router compatibility, as well as speed and available servers. Here is our MVP list of VPNs to change your PSN region.
1. NordVPN – The best VPN for PlayStation
24/7 live chat, Email
- The fastest available tunneling protocol
- Unblocks most streaming services
- Unparalleled security
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
There ain’t no better than the best when it comes to NordVPN. This VPN is a great choice to change your PSN region and enhance your PlayStation experience overall.
Nord VPN works wonderfully on routers and with 6000+ servers in 61+ countries, you’ll be able to play games and shop around the whole world. Watch unblocked streaming services and play with no hiccups thanks to NordVPN’s NordLynx tunneling protocol. It’s an improved version of the well-known WireGuard protocol which grants industry-leading connection speeds.
As a bonus, you’ll get top-grade internet protection. Everything, including AES-256 encryption, RAM-only servers, and IP leak protection. And in case your connection drops, a reliable kill switch will prevent data leaks by stopping any network traffic.
You can try NordVPN risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Just be sure to check available bargains on our NordVPN coupon page.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Fast and affordable VPN for PlayStation
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Great speed
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Widest range of countries
- Extra cost for bonus features
Surfshark is the best of both worlds when it comes to VPNs for consoles. It’s both affordable and super flexible if you want to use it to change your PSN region.
Unlimited connections mean you’ll be able to protect all of your devices in addition to installing it on your home router. Also, 3200+ server fleet in 100+ countries and Surfshark’s speedy connections with Smart DNS will let you bypass geo-restrictions for video streaming needs too.
Also, you can secure your network activity completely risk-free for a whole month with their 30-day money-back guarantee. Of course, don’t forget to catch the best Surfshark deals before you do so.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – The cheapest VPN to change PSN region
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Unlimited devices
- Best free version
- No router support
If your goal is to change your PSN region for as little as possible, then no need to go further than Atlas VPN.
A free version might be a little too limited to get full freedom with your PlayStation console. Those finite resources include a 5 GB data cap, server locations, and pretty limited features. Nonetheless, it’s a good way to try it out with no commitment. The premium version, though, will give you a solid VPN for any video streaming or region-hopping needs.
However, even with the premium version you still can’t install it on your router, which in turn limits your options. Luckily, a Wi-Fi hotspot or ethernet cable with your PC is still an option to make use of this VPN with your console. Atlas is still the best cheap VPN for PlayStation, especially if you grab the latest deals available.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to set up a new PSN account for different region
Every PlayStation account is region-locked and you can’t change it after registration. If you want to change your region on a PS4 or PS5, creating a new account is a must. That’s where a VPN comes into play. A trusty VPN can spoof your location by giving you an IP address in a different region.
In this section, we’ll show you how to create a PSN account in a different country.
- Set up your VPN on either your PC, smartphone, or router. Our go-to is NordVPN, now 67% off.
- Pick a region for your account and connect to its server.
- Connect your PS5 or PS4 to the VPN-protected network.
- In your PlayStation login screen select Add User. Alternatively, go to the PlayStation Network website on your browser.
- Select an option to create a PSN account.
- Choose a country for your new account (after picking the region, the language may change, so have a translation app ready).
- Fill in your date of birth.
- Write your email address and password (be sure the email is not already associated with a PSN account).
- Fill in any additional personal information.
- Accept the Terms of Service and User Agreement.
- Log into your new account and start exploring a new level of freedom!
Now, this is enough to access a new PlayStation storefront, but buying games and DLC or accessing geo-blocked content requires a different approach. More on that going further.
How to pay for games on another country’s PlayStation Store?
Getting access to a foreign PlayStation Store doesn’t mean you can buy anything just yet. PlayStation Store accepts payments only with a credit card or PayPal account from the region your account is registered at.
Furthermore, the funds you want to add must be of the same currency. For example, you cannot add $50 USD to your Japan account as it only accepts Japanese Yen. You can easily circumvent that by purchasing PS gift cards with corresponding currencies and activating them on your new account.
After getting your hands on an appropriate gift card, simply go to the PlayStation Store and hit Redeem Codes. Enter your gift card code and start shopping right away.
How to unblock geo-restricted content on a PlayStation Store with a VPN
Unlike downloading apps or buying games on the store, geo-blocked content itself can be accessed without a new PSN account. In this case, A VPN connection is enough to bypass location-based restrictions as those apps only look at your IP address. Those of you wanting to change your Netflix region on your PS4 or PS5 can do so with just a few clicks.
Unfortunately, streaming services, such as Hulu, still require you to download the application from the store. That means you’ll still need a new account in America to even find the app on the PS Store. This is because the storefront you’re seeing is strictly locked to the region your account is registered on.
How to install VPN on PS4 and PS5
Mainstream gaming consoles, such as PS4 or PS5, don’t support even the best VPNs natively. Fortunately, there are quite a few ways you can utilize a VPN for gaming consoles. You can:
- Install a VPN on your router
- Share VPN connection through ethernet cable
- Share VPN connection through Wi-Fi hotspot on PC or smartphone
- Use Smart DNS straight from your console
Different options give different benefits – convenience or security-wise. We’ll run you through them step-by-step right here.
This way is the safest and most convenient of the bunch, but also requires some extra tinkering from the user’s side. The main upside of this option is that this way you can protect every device on your network.
It’s important to note that not all routers are compatible with VPNs, so check if yours is before going further. If you got a green light, follow these steps:
- Snatch a VPN with router support. Our secret weapon is NordVPN.
- Install a VPN on your local router.
- Connect to a server in the region of your PSN account.
- Head to your PS5 or PS4 Settings and then Network settings.
- Press on Set Up Internet Connection.
- Pick the Wi-Fi option (Easy method for PS4).
- If prompted, do not use the Proxy Server.
- Click the Test Connection button.
- Browse, play, and shop freely with your new international account!
Via ethernet cable
If you have a spare ethernet cable lying around, you can use it to share the VPN connection from your PC directly through the router. This is what you’ll have to do:
- Download a reliable VPN on your PC. NordVPN is our most trusted companion.
- Connect to a VPN server in your PSN account’s region.
- Connect your PC to the router and your PlayStation console with an ethernet cable.
- Go to your PC’s Network and Internet settings.
- Navigate to Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Change adapter settings and find your VPN’s network adapter.
- Open that adapter’s properties and enable sharing the internet connection.
- Choose your internet source adapter from the dropdown menu.
After this, follow a standard procedure on your PlayStation console.
- Go to your console’s Network settings.
- Select “Set Up Internet Connection”.
- Pick the “Use a LAN Cable” option (PS5 detects LAN connections automatically).
- Choose the Easy method.
- When prompted, do not use Proxy Server.
- Test your internet connection.
- Sail the free winds of your PlayStation ocean.
Via Wi-Fi Hotspot
This method is almost the same as using the ethernet cable but this way your PC doesn’t have to be leashed to a console or vice versa. To set up your VPN Wi-Fi hotspot, do this:
- Install a fast VPN on your PC. Our recommended one is NordVPN.
- Connect to your PSN account’s region server.
- Go to your PC’s Network and Internet settings to find Mobile Hotspot options.
- Set internet connection sharing from Wi-Fi (here you can also change the name).
- In PC’s Network settings, jump to Network and Sharing Center and click Change Adapter Settings.
- Find your VPN adapter and open its properties.
- In the Sharing tab, allow other users to connect through your device.
- Select your hotspot connection in the Home Networking Connection dropdown menu.
At this point, all that’s left is to connect your PS4 or PS5 to the new hotspot.
- Head to PlayStation’s Network settings.
- Click the Set Up Internet Connection button.
- Use Wi-Fi (PS5 automatically scans available networks).
- Choose the Easy method for PS4.
- Do not use Proxy Server if prompted.
- Test your internet connection.
- Access your new PSN region.
Via Smart DNS
This way is not the most secure, since you miss out on a lot of VPN security features. Still, if you want to change your PSN region, it’s one of the easiest to execute and requires no further fiddling after the first setup. All you need are these few short steps:
- Sign up for a premium VPN with a Smart DNS feature. Our top pick is NordVPN.
- Log in to your VPN’s service on the browser.
- Find your DNS or Smart DNS settings and register your IP to get a DNS code.
- Go to your PlayStation’s Network settings.
- Set up a new internet connection. Choose the “Custom” method for PS4 or “Set Up Manually” for PS5.
- Set IP Address on “Automatic”, DHCP on “Do not specify”, and DNS on “Manual”.
Enter your VPN’s DNS addresses.
- Do not use Proxy Servers.
- Restart your console and enjoy freedom in a new PSN region!
Before you shop around in other PSN regions
Even if your hands are twitchy to go on a shopping spree once you jump into international PlayStation waters, don’t rush. There are a couple of things you have to keep in mind before making any big purchases.
- Correct currencies. Once you set up your PSN account in a new region, you’ll have to fund it through gift cards. This is because you can only top up your account with a credit card or PayPal account from the same country as your account. Keep in mind, you can only activate gift cards of the corresponding country’s currency cards. So no USD for a Japanese account.
- Region-restricted content. Even though the games themselves are not locked to the region they’re bought in, the Downloadable Content (DLC) is. For example, If you buy a game in Japan’s PS Store, the DLC for the game bought in the UK won’t work with it. The same things apply to physical game copies as well.
- Localization. Some games are not available in other regions for a reason. If you buy a Japanese PSN storefront-exclusive game, don’t be surprised it’s only available in Japanese. Some games don’t have subtitles, menu languages, or voiceovers ready for international markets, so do proper research before a purchase.
Can’t change PSN region with a VPN: solution
Cheat codes are not cool, but a cheat code for a tech problem can always be handy. VPN connections are not always flawless and may sometimes result in some unwanted errors. Before dropping your hands down, try one of the following solutions:
- Check for IP leaks. A leaking IP address may reveal your true location to any service provider you’re connecting to. This defeats the whole purpose of IP or DNS changes. You can check your visible IP or DNS on ipleak.net. Of course, we can vouch that with NordVPN you can rest assured your true IP is invisible at all times.
- Jump servers. Sometimes the easiest way is just to “try to turn it off and on again”. Some servers might be banned or the connection might not be established the right way. Changing a VPN server or location can usually fix “PSN Server failed” or “NAT Type failed” errors.
- Try other tunneling protocols. Some VPN protocols can be clashing with the PSN servers. If your VPN provider lets you use multiple, try changing them. You can do that by going to the advanced settings of your VPN app and looking for a protocol switch tool if there’s one available. If the default is not cutting it, OpenVPN or another one might do the trick. Try it!
- Update your VPN. An up-to-date VPN usually doesn’t encounter any unwanted connection errors. What’s more, a VPN that’s not updated frequently is a security risk for your data, so check for available updates.
- Contact customer support. A little help never hurt anybody. If none of the earlier solutions helped, a professional support specialist of your VPN provider might give you some good tips. Fortunately, every provider we recommend has 24/7 live chat support, so no need for those slow emails.
Can you change PSN region with a free VPN?
There are many free gaming VPNs out there in the wild, and you can use one for your PlayStation console. On the other hand, a lot of free VPNs are not equipped enough to be reliable and safe. Furthermore, pretty much all of the free options are handicapped by data limits, slow speeds, or simply can’t unblock content for certain regions.
A premium VPN with a trial period can be a good starting point to test out the waters before investing in a fully-fledged VPN solution. We can easily recommend NordVPN to reliably change and use your new PSN account in the new region. It’s easy to set up for your PlayStation, blazing fast, and secure. And the best part – you can try it out without any risk for a whole month with NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
The benefits of changing your PSN country are numerous. Ranging from getting better game deals, and available geo-restricted content, apps, or games, to even gaining early access to your favorite new releases.
Knowing how to change your PSN region with the help of a robust VPN will unlock the full potential of your PlayStation. From our experience, we can safely say NordVPN is the most flexible, trustworthy, and fastest VPN for your gaming console.
Watch, play, and shop without any restrictions!
What do you think is the best VPN for PlayStation consoles? Let us know by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Xbox One
How to use VPN on Nintendo Switch
How to change region on Steam with a VPN
How to change country in Google Play Store
How to fix World of Tanks lag in 2023
How to watch Netflix with a VPN
How do I change my PSN location on PS5?
You have to connect your PS4 or PS5 to a VPN-ready network. You can install a VPN on your router or PC to share your VPN connection and change your location. This will only unlock geo-blocked content for certain apps. To access another region’s PS Store, you’ll have to create a new account in that region.
Can I change my country on PS5?
Yes, but the only way to change your PS5 country is to create a new account in that region. To access the PS Store in that region with your new account you’ll still need to use a VPN to change your IP to the region the account is created for. You can try it for free with NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
Is it legal to change your PSN region with a VPN?
Using a VPN to change your PSN region is legal. However, PSN’s terms of service don’t allow that, and doing so may result in a temporary or permanent ban for a new account. A robust VPN, such as NordVPN, changes your IP and DNS which helps you stay hidden and access your account like you’re from that region.