Xbox One is among the most popular home entertainment systems you can use to play games, stream shows & movies, and surf the web on your TV. Despite being the brainchild of Microsoft and having tight security measures, the console is vulnerable to cyber risks. It is especially true if you regularly dabble in online gaming.
What you want to do is protect your Xbox system with a Virtual Private Network (VPN). These nifty tools encrypt your connections, hiding you from malicious players and potential DDoS attacks. Besides that, they stop speed throttling and unblock geo-restricted content. We’ve gathered the best Xbox VPNs – read on and learn how you can set it up on your console.
Best VPNs for Xbox One: shortlist
- The best VPN for Xbox One9.7
- Xbox VPN with extra security tools9.3
- Affordable VPN for Xbox One9.0
- Xbox VPN with an extensive network8.8
- VPN for Xbox One with no virtual servers8.6
How to use a VPN with Xbox One in 2022
- Choose a VPN you can set up on a router. Our top choice is NordVPN, currently available for 57% off!
- Set up your home router with a VPN
- Connect your Xbox One to the newly-secured home network
- Start gaming privately and securely!
Grab the Best VPN for Xbox One
Why do you need a VPN with Xbox consoles?
There are several reasons we strongly recommend getting a VPN on Xbox device. Setting up such software will:
- Prevent hacker attacks. With your IP address hidden, you become invisible to all malicious actors and players who might want to target you for one reason or another.
- Stop internet throttling. Internet Service Providers (ISPs) often strictly limit your data, causing lag, but they won’t be able to do this anymore if they can’t see your activities.
- Circumvent geo-blocks. The availability of apps, streaming platforms, game servers, etc., depends on your country. Connecting to a server in another region helps access foreign content.
Overview of the best VPNs for Xbox One
- NordVPN – The best VPN for Xbox One
- Surfshark – Xbox VPN with extra security tools
- PrivateVPN – Affordable VPN for Xbox One
- PureVPN – Xbox VPN with an extensive network
- IPVanish – VPN for Xbox One with no virtual servers
A VPN for gaming needs to be wicked-fast to avoid lag while aiming for the killing blow. And don’t forget sizable networks, since these determine whether there is a server closest to you for the best performance. Additionally, high-grade encryption, IP and DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and other security features will combat online threats and ISP throttling.
Always make sure the service includes router compatibility. Consoles don’t support VPNs natively, so installing the client on the router is the only way to make it work. Versatility is a nice touch if you want to do more than just secure your gaming system. We’ve selected the top five VPNs for Xbox One with these criteria in mind.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Xbox One
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx-fuelled speeds
- SmartPlay for streaming
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
Operating from privacy-friendly Panama, NordVPN is the best Xbox VPN. It has much to offer regarding secure tunneling protocols and anonymity-ensuring features. DDoS prevention, superb customer support, and geo-block bypassing capabilities make it the perfect all-rounder for your console.
With 5400+ servers in 60+ countries, it’s the fastest VPN for Xbox we’ve seen. That is primarily due to the proprietary NordLynx protocol, which is based on and improves upon WireGuard. Privacy-conscious users can also rest assured knowing that all standard servers are RAM-only, meaning they don’t store any data. The audited no-logs policy further proves your anonymity.
NordVPN is perfect for accessing all the entertainment possibilities of your console. For instance, the SmartPlay feature unblocks Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, and other popular streaming services. And while there is no dedicated app for Xbox, you can manually set up the VPN on your router.
You get 6 simultaneous connections for $3.49/month after applying our NordVPN code. Try the 7-day free trial (via Google Play Store) if you don’t want to commit just yet. Or subscribe without fear, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Xbox VPN with extra security tools
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Wicked-fast speeds
- Smart DNS for streaming
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark is a superb Xbox VPN as it offers various tools for anonymity and against online risks. We’re talking about Whitelister, Cleanweb, MultiHop, and Rotating IP. Of course, the fact that there is no device limit is the cherry on top.
3200+ RAM-only servers in 100+ countries are nothing to scoff at, especially since excellent speeds are guaranteed with the WireGuard tunneling protocol. The Nexus upgrade builds upon performance by merging all server traffic into one extensive network.
Smart DNS makes sure you can access anything your lil’ heart desires, from ESPN, Hulu+ to MTV, Pandora, and more. Camouflage and NoBorders modes extend your reach further if you live in countries with restrictive internet.
Apply a Surfshark VPN coupon and pay just $2.30/month for a feature-rich VPN for Xbox. Subscriptions are risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee. Just don’t forget to test it out first with the 7-day free trial, available via Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for Xbox One
24/7 live chat
- Owns all hardware
- Great against geo-blocks
- Excellent speeds
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
Don’t let PrivateVPN’s scope scare you off from this great Xbox One VPN. The excellent price-to-feature ratio and a generous 10 devices per account limit help secure everything you need. Now, the ISP won’t meddle with your internet anymore.
The tight-knit network of 200+ servers in 63+ countries offers superb speeds no matter where you live. It’s made possible due to two essential factors. The first is a fully-optimized infrastructure. The second is buying internet capacity straight from the source, which facilitates better latency.
Take your Xbox One experience to a whole new level with unlocked services. With PrivateVPN, you can freely stream shows from different Disney+ and Netflix libraries after an intense team deathmatch. And if you live in surveillance-heavy countries, Stealth VPN has your back.
Pay just $2.00/month with our PrivateVPN coupon to game with no more worries. You can familiarize yourself with the service via the 7-day free trial, available on all platforms. And subscribe without losses, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. PureVPN – Xbox VPN with an extensive network
24/7 live chat
- Constant independent audits
- Humongous server list
- Superb for streaming
- Weak kill switch
PureVPN is a Hong Kong-based VPN for Xbox with remarkable device compatibility. Handy security features and the NAT firewall allow you to stay virtually anonymous all the time. Been on the receiving end of hacker attacks a bit too much at this point? Get DDoS protection ($0.99/month) on top of the regular plan.
The impressive network consists of 6500+ servers in 71+ countries. Most of them are 10 Gbps, not to mention the numerous 20 Gbps options. Now throw the WireGuard protocol into the mix, and lightning-fast speeds accompanied by low ping are a true and tested reality.
PureVPN also has an excellent track record of defeating geo-blocking and hardly experiences any outages. Thus, it’s the right choice if Xbox is your primary entertainment system.
Secure up to 10 devices for only $2.08/month and enjoy the best this service has to offer. Just apply our PureVPN discount code before you click the Pay button. A 7-day trial is available for $0.99, or you can subscribe and recoup losses later with the 31-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
5. IPVanish – VPN for Xbox One with no virtual servers
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- Excellent security and privacy
- No anonymous payments
An IPVanish subscription nets you an Xbox VPN for all your needs: streaming videos, unblocking geo-locked content, and so on. Secure everything you own and enjoy the benefits of real-time protection with VIPRE Antivirus. There is no device limit, after all.
The provider owns all 2000+ servers scattered in 50+ countries, meaning no third parties can meddle with the hardware. And comfortable gaming speeds are possible any day at any time due to the WireGuard tunneling protocol. We’re sure having no virtual servers plays into peak performance, too.
Tune into your favorite Netflix shows whenever hunting your opponents grows tiresome. Thanks to the handy OpenVPN Scramble feature, you can do it without alerting anyone.
Use an IPVanish coupon to pay no more than $3.99/month for a splendid Xbox One VPN. The lack of a trial version is disappointing, yes, but subscribing ain’t that bad when there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
What should I look for in a VPN for Xbox One?
When it comes to choosing the best VPNs for XBox, don’t go for the first option you come across. There are certain factors to consider for Xbox One users, and the best apps cover them all.
- Ease of use. Installing a VPN on your router can be a bit confusing if you’ve never done something like this before. It’s best if the provider includes a clear set of instructions you can follow.
- Global presence. Being able to dodge jurisdictions is a handy feature of Xbox VPNs, so pick those with an expansive network. It will also help you find the nearest server – the closer it is, the better performance you can expect.
- Incredible speeds. Zero lag and low ping are made possible by the latest tunneling protocols, so make sure your pick includes them. You can always compare the candidates with our VPN speed test tool to see what you’re getting.
- Tight security. Trying to escape DDoS attacks and potential doxxing? Then your Xbox VPN’s tool list must include AES-256 encryption, IP and DNS leak protection, and a kill switch, among other features. You might want to look into VPNs with DDoS protection as well.
- No-logs policy. No one should get a hold of your data, and VPN providers aren’t an exception. It’s a big W in our books if an independent third party has vetted the validity of this policy.
- Bypassing geo-blocks. Better prices, different streaming libraries, and diverse content, in general, are achievable only if the provider is capable of circumventing restrictions. Prioritize those able to do this.
- Reasonable price. Don’t fall into the “higher price = better service” trap. You’ll be happy to find that you can get exceptional performance without it costing an arm and a leg with the cheapest VPNs.
- Customer support. Xbox VPNs never have any issues in the perfect world. But since reality is different, it’s nice to know there’s someone you can contact via 24/7 live chat for troubleshooting.
Best VPN for Xbox video review
Don’t have the time to read the whole article? Find out all you need to know about the top three Xbox VPN providers in the market in our video review. We also cover all the pressing questions often asked by gaming enthusiasts, such as how VPNs impact overall performance and what features are essential.
What does a VPN do on a console?
Xbox One is mainly used for gaming, and there are many pitfalls for those who join online matches. With the right tools and just enough spite, sore losers can quickly obtain your IP address from the network. Naturally, the next step is making you their victim.
Many have probably suffered Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attacks which forcefully disconnect you from the game. Even worse, some hackers spend extra time tracking you down to doxx you, revealing personal information on shady websites and forums.
Then there’s the issue of constant lag while streaming. All videos keep freezing despite having superb internet? Chances are, your ISP is throttling your speeds because you’re using up too much bandwidth.
Xbox consoles are no strangers to geographic location restrictions as well. Surprisingly, there are many things you can’t access just because of your country, from streaming services and apps to games and websites. Just thinking about the price differences between regions alone gives us psychic damage.
The best VPNs provide a mixture of encryption and anonymization to combat these issues. Once connected to a server, your IP address and online activities are hidden from hackers and ISPs, meaning they can’t target or throttle you. This change also unblocks geo-restricted content, so you are free to roam about and enjoy everything.
How to change your Xbox One region
- Sign up for a trusted VPN service. You can never go wrong with NordVPN.
- Install the software on your router
- Connect to a server closest to you or in a specific region
- Boot up your Xbox One and enjoy previously unavailable content!
Free VPN for Xbox One
There are tons of free Xbox VPNs on the market, even more than paid ones (we’d dare to argue). Can they help you in a pinch? Yeah, probably, but the problem is that they come with strings attached. They are risky and include pitfalls you do not want to stumble in:
- Do you crave malware? Of course not, one does, but that’s the deal with these providers – they deliver it either way.
- Data collection? In my VPN client? It’s more likely than you think.
- God forbid you want to play without any lag – you’re lucky if the system manages to connect you to any lobby at all
- Looking for more buddies for online matches? Try befriending some of the people crammed into the only 3 available servers.
- If DDoS attacks were an issue before, nothing would change with a free VPN either – these services kinda suck at hiding your IP address
Not everything is doom and gloom on the free VPN for Xbox landscape. There are options for those who don’t have the budget for a subscription. For example, you can always utilize free trial versions of VPNs. True, they are viable for a limited time, but you do get a complete feature set.
You’ll also be happy to find that certain providers offer legitimate services that don’t cost a penny. VPNs like Proton VPN run premium tiers alongside the free version, allowing users who can’t afford it to get some well-deserved privacy. Plus, they are transparent about what they do and how they do it.
How to set up a VPN on Xbox One
As you might have noticed (we’ve been mentioning this throughout the article), you can’t install a VPN directly on Xbox consoles. In fact, you can’t do this with any gaming system. Do not fret, dear gamers, we’ve got you covered. Just choose the easiest option for you from the methods provided below.
Xbox VPN setup on a router
Not all routers are compatible with VPNs, so check your chosen VPN provider’s website to see which are. Installation processes vary, but they generally involve entering your VPN login credentials on the router’s control panel.
- Choose a reliable VPN. NordVPN is our top choice for Xbox consoles.
- Sign up for the VPN and note down your login credentials.
- Load up your router’s control panel and navigate to the network settings panel.
- Enter the VPN login details and apply VPN protection.
- Load up your Xbox One console and connect to the newly protected home network.
The process isn’t difficult, but it can be time-consuming. Still, it’s well worth it because after adding a VPN, Xbox One consoles become so much more.
Xbox VPN setup on PC
If the router method proves to be too troublesome, you can always connect the Xbox to your PC. Make sure you have an Ethernet cable, though.
- Subscribe to and download an Xbox VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN, now 57% off!
- Connect your console to your desktop with an Ethernet cable
- Click on the Wi-Fi icon on your PC and go to Networks and Internet Settings
- Click Change Adapter Options, find your VPN and select its Properties
- Tick the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection option and Confirm it
- Set up a new internet connection on your console – pick the LAN cable option
- Connect the Xbox to the new network
- Congratz, the gaming system is now protected!
Easy router setup with the best VPN
Xbox VPN setup on Hotspot
If your VPN isn’t compatible with your router and you don’t have an Ethernet cable lying around, the next best thing is to create a mobile hotspot on your laptop. Just remember to connect to this new network and not your regular Wi-Fi.
- Install a robust Xbox VPN, such as NordVPN
- Go to your laptop’s Settings > Network and Internet > Mobile Hotspot
- Select Wi-Fi and click on enable Mobile Hotspot
- Then go to Settings > Network and Internet > Change adapter options
- Right-click [VPN name] Windows Adapter and select Properties
- Select the Sharing tab and check the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection box
- Connect your console to the new network
- You’re done!
How to set up Remote Play with Xbox VPN
Microsoft offers the ability to play games from Xbox consoles right on your computer or mobile device via the Xbox app. Thankfully, this application can also be secured with a VPN so that you can enjoy the various benefits such software has to offer.
- Before you do anything, set up a VPN on your router first since Remote Play works through your network. NordVPN is easy to install on routers.
- Boot up your console and press the Xbox button on the controller
- Go to Profile & system > Settings > Devices & connections > Remote features
- Check the Enable remote features box
- Select Standby under Sleep mode
- FOR PC USERS: open the Xbox Console Companion app, press the Connection icon, select your Xbox, and click Connect
- FOR MOBILE USERS: open the Xbox mobile app, go to My Library, press Consoles, select your Xbox, and press Remote play on this device
- Press Stream and begin playing!
How to change the Netflix region on Xbox
- Subscribe to VPN for Xbox. NordVPN is well-known for its ability to bypass geo-blocks.
- Set up the VPN client on your router
- Connect to a server of your choice
- Restart your console and connect it to the now secure network
- Open Netflix and browse foreign libraries!
VPN not working with Xbox One
If you find yourself unable to access the content you’ve managed to unblock previously, the Xbox VPN is probably experiencing technical difficulties. Do not panic yet, and try doing some troubleshooting instead:
- Your IP address is leaking. Some VPN settings might’ve been turned off during configuration. Make sure everything is enabled and cycle through the available security protocols just in case.
- Microsoft banned the VPN server’s IP. The corporation is well-known for blocking popular VPN ports if they suspect that ToS-breaking activities are happening through them. Switch to another server – this will assign you a new IP, and, hopefully, you’ll be able to browse like usual.
- The router is blocking the VPN. Chances are, your router is cutting off the VPN connection. In this case, check whether all tunneling protocols are allowed and update the settings. Also, make sure you’ve finished configuring the VPN on the Xbox and that it is connected to the correct network.
- The TAP drivers are corrupted. If you’ve tried installing multiple Xbox One VPNs, the TAP drivers were probably messed up in the process. These are essential for connecting to VPN servers, so they must be right and proper. Delete the TAP drivers and install them again.
- The VPN itself is bugged/glitched. The troubles may lie with the client, so make sure the app is up to date. It’s advisable to contact customer support for professional advice.
If these suggestions don’t fix a thing, your current Xbox VPN probably isn’t suited for the job. Our final solution – subscribe to reliable Xbox VPN services listed above that actually work.
When all’s said and done, Xbox One is a handy system that lets you explore other entertainment venues besides gaming. With a plethora of streaming, video, music apps, and other features, it’s no wonder this console has found its way into many homes. The security risks and geo-restrictions are downers, though.
But there’s nothing a trustworthy Xbox VPN can’t fix. A subscription to NordVPN or similar providers helps unlock your Xbox’s true potential with a simple IP address change. That, coupled with encryption, protects you from prying eyes while circumventing pesky geo-blocks.
Has using a VPN improved your Xbox experience? Let us know by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for gaming
Best VPN for Minecraft
Best VPN for GTA Online
Best VPN for Apex Legends
Best VPN for Warzone
How to change PSN region
How to use VPN on Nintendo Switch
Can you use a VPN on Xbox One?
Xbox One does not support VPN software natively. However, you can install the VPN on your router and connect the console to it. Alternatively, you can tether the VPN to Xbox One through your computer.
Can you get banned for using a VPN on Xbox One?
VPNs are allowed if you’re using them for general security against DDoS attacks. However, some games and platforms may ban you if you utilize Xbox VPNs to get around geographical restrictions.
How to get a VPN on Xbox?
First, subscribe to a robust VPN with router support. You’ll find that NordVPN is well-suited for Xbox consoles. Then install it on said device and connect your Xbox console to it. Finish setting up the software, and you’re good to go.
Does using a VPN for Xbox One boost gaming speeds?
Only if your ISP is throttling you. Otherwise, you might actually see a slight decrease in speed. Thankfully, this is avoidable if you utilize the fastest VPNs and connect to servers closest to you.
What is the best VPN for Xbox One?
The best VPN for Xbox One is NordVPN. It’s affordable, secure, and has loads of servers across the globe. You can enjoy the benefits of this service on your console by setting it up on your router or via the SmartPlay feature.
Thanks for keeping people aware of how crucial it is to protect all electronic devices that can access the web! Consoles didn’t really need to be considered before, but now they’re as important to protect as any computer.
I’ve taken the necessary steps to protect my computer by using NordVPN, so now I guess it time to consider doing the same for my gaming system. After reading your instructions, it sounds like a lot of work, but I’m sure the benefits are worth the effort. My only concern is that the VPN might slow down my system, causing game lag, but it doesn’t sound like that should happen.
Nowadays using a VPN is almost mandatory if you want to keep your privacy and limit the dangers on in the internet. It’s a shame so few people know about VPNs and cyberdangers.
I remember when I got my Xbox 360 and found out I could watch Netflix and buy games. Now, Microsoft has elevated things so much more, giving people a slew of home entertainment options. I know VPN’s can be helpful. However, I was unaware that some VPN’s are better tailored towards Xbox than other ones (irrespective of the VPN’s overall quality in terms of security).