Launched by Rockstar Games way back in 2013, Grand Theft Auto 5 remains one of the most played action-adventure titles. It is mainly due to GTA Online, the game’s multiplayer component, available for the last three generations of PlayStation and Xbox, plus PC. It has its downsides though, as exploring the expansive Los Santos with buddies and strangers alike leaves you at risk.
While servers only hold up to 30 people, you can still face bad actors, leaving you vulnerable to Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attacks. Furthermore, there are the obvious lag issues, coupled with Internet Service Providers (ISPs) throttling your speed for using so much bandwidth. Luckily, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) can help you with these issues. Let’s see how below.
Best VPN for GTA 5: shortlist
- The best VPN for GTA 59.6
- GTA V VPN with best privacy features9.4
- Affordable VPN for GTA Online9.1
- GTA V VPN with no virtual servers8.8
- VPN for GTA 5 with a free version8.4
How to play GTA Online with VPN
- Subscribe to a premium VPN. We recommend NordVPN, currently available for 57% off!
- Download the software on the device of your choice
- Connect to a server
- Launch Grand Theft Auto V and start roaming!
Why do you need a VPN for GTA 5?
Although Rockstar tries to ensure the best experience for GTA Online players, it’s not always possible. Let’s start with cheaters and people who just want to ruin it for others.
If hackers choose to target you, they can easily exploit the fact that your IP address is visible through the game’s client. With it exposed, they can pinpoint your general IRL location, launch DDoS attacks and even doxx you (reveal your personal information online). It’s no wonder VPNs for DDoS protection and extra security tools are high in demand.
Now, onto your ISP. It’s standard practice among providers to limit your internet if they detect that you’re using much more bandwidth than they’d like you to. Naturally, it leads to high pings, constant lag, and unstable connections that might drop you out of the game at any time.
Another thing not many players might know is that some features of Grand Theft Auto Online are restricted depending on your region. Due to certain laws, this multiplayer title is outright banned in some countries. One way or another, these limitations ruin the immersiveness if you want to partake in the Diamond Casino or other mini-games.
Here’s where gaming VPNs for GTA V come into play. By utilizing such services, you’re essentially hiding your actual IP address by connecting to another server. The encryption also masks your online activities, making it hard to trace you. With a VPN, hackers can’t target you, the ISP is blind to your internet usage, and many of the banned features suddenly are within your grasp.
Best VPNs for GTA 5: overview
- NordVPN – the best VPN for GTA 5
- Surfshark – GTA V VPN with the best privacy features
- PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for GTA Online
- IPVanish – GTA V VPN with no virtual servers
- Atlas VPN – VPN for GTA 5 with a free version
Our top GTA Online VPNs are notable for several things. They include sizable networks accompanied by excellent speeds for low latency and lag reduction. Then there are all the necessary security and privacy features to keep yourself anonymous and safe from attacks. We’re talking about military-grade encryption, IP and DNS leak protection, a kill switch, etc.
Router compatibility is another must for those trekking through Mount Chilliad on their gaming consoles. It covers your PlayStation or Xbox and all the devices connected to your router network. Last but not least, these reliable VPNs can be used for more than just gaming – bypassing geo-blocks, torrenting, and streaming.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for GTA 5
24/7 live chat, Email
- Wicked fast
- Expansive server list
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for GTA Online for several reasons. It stands out as the fastest VPN on the market and offers unparalleled security features for its users. This provider includes DDoS protection, excellent 24/7 customer support, and great geo-block bypassing tools.
You can pick the closest location to you from5400+ bare metal servers spread across 60+ countries. Expect low latency and maximum performance when playing, thanks to the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. And if that isn’t enough, all hardware is RAM-only – they don’t store data permanently.
If you don’t want to rouse any suspicions for having a constantly changing IP address, NordVPN has dedicated IPs. You can have an address that belongs all to you for a small additional cost, located in the US, the UK, France, Germany, or the Netherlands.
For those who want a VPN for more than just gaming, there are dedicated P2P servers, and you can even unlock many streaming services. Wind down after a brutal bounty hunt with Netflix, Amazon Video Prime, Disney+, or Hulu.
For only $3.49/month with our NordVPN discount code, you get 6 simultaneous connections, robust security tools, and user-friendly applications. Afraid to commit? Try the 7-day free trial version (via Google Play Store) before subscribing. Then there’s the 30-day money-back guarantee if the shoe doesn’t fit.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – GTA V VPN with best privacy features
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited connections
- Ligthning-fast speeds
- Top-notch security and privacy
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another excellent VPN for GTA 5 is Surfshark. Once subscribed, you get a substantial amount of features, like DDoS protection and a malware blocker, for a surprisingly low cost. The icing on the metaphorical cake here is the unlimited simultaneous connections, meaning you can secure every device you have.
You can connect to any of the 3200+ RAM-only servers scattered across 100+ countries worldwide. The WireGuard protocol ensures superb connectivity, so you will tear up the streets of Los Santos without experiencing any significant lag.
Besides the usual privacy tools, users will be delighted by the Whitelister feature. It routes the VPN connection only through the apps you pick, letting you utilize it solely for GTA. Then there are Camouflage and NoBorder modes, which help circumvent strict online censorship.
The proprietary Nexus tool will come in handy for those who want extra anonymity. The Rotating IP tool included in this feature package constantly rotates your IP address without dropping the VPN connection. At the same time, it secures and stabilizes all traffic and directs it accordingly to avoid congestion.
As for other entertainment venues, Surfshark has no issues unblocking Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and other streaming platforms. Torrenting won’t be a problem, too, since P2P is allowed on all servers.
You have to pay only $2.30/month by applying a Surfshark coupon. There’s no reason to subscribe instantly – try the 7-day free trial (Android and iOS) first. And if something doesn’t work out, just utilize the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for GTA Online
24/7 live chat
- Owns all servers
- Great against geo-blocks
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
You can expect excellent device compatibility, stable performance, and useful features with PrivateVPN. This provider makes sure you stay safe whilst playing and allows you to bypass ISP throttling to unlock the best speeds.
200+ servers in 63+ countries might seem too small, especially compared with other services on this list, but don’t be fooled. Thanks to its modest size, PrivateVPN has optimized its infrastructure fully. What does this mean for you? Low latency and smooth GTA Online gameplay. Furthermore, all hardware belongs to this provider – no third parties can meddle with it.
One thing that this VPN does differently from most others is buying internet capacity directly from IP transit providers. It contributes to better latency, fewer routing hops, and greater speeds.
Torrenting is enabled on all servers, and there is port forwarding and a SOCKS5 proxy for faster downloading. Besides that, feel free to stream on Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Video Prime, as this prover bypasses platform restrictions with ease.
It comes down to just $2.00/month with our PrivateVPN discount coupon for 10 simultaneous connections. Check out the 7-day free trial or subscribe risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – GTA V VPN with no virtual servers
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- No device limit
- No virtual servers
- Tight security and privacy
- Isn’t suitable for streaming
IPVanish is another great VPN for GTA Online. Subscribers get to enjoy top-notch security thanks to the standard protection tools, aided by VIPRE Antivirus and Stealth VPN. And because there is no device limit, you can install it on all important tech in your household.
The sizeable fleet of 2000+ servers in 50+ countries is nothing to scoff at, especially since IPVanish owns all of it. None of the hardware is virtual as well, meaning the server you’re connecting to is physically located in that region. All of it is powered by the next-gen WireGuard protocol for the best speeds possible.
For those who want to stay virtually anonymous and hide the fact they’re using a VPN in the first place, the Traffic Obfuscation tool will be helpful. Furthermore, you’ll also find the SOCKS5 proxy for splitting your VPN traffic. Luckily enough, IPVanish allows P2P on all servers.
It might be an issue if you want to stream on the side. While this VPN completely unblocks Netflix US, other platforms and their restrictions might prove to be too troublesome to circumvent. But if this one streaming service is all you need, it will be more than enough.
Apply our IPVanish coupon and subscribe for only $3.99/month. Sadly, there is no free trial to take advantage of, but the 30-day money-back guarantee has your back in times of need.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – VPN for GTA 5 with a free version
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Unlimited connections
- Great against geo-blocking
- Excellent free version
- No manual router configuration
Atlas VPN has been making rounds as the cheapest GTA 5 VPN. Offering identical features for both premium and free version users, it’s one of our top picks for several reasons. The unlimited simultaneous connections play into that as well.
This smaller network of 750+ servers across 37+ countries might surprise you with its excellent connectivity and smooth performance. Most of this is due to the WireGuard tunneling protocol, so playing Grand Theft Auto Online even on the busiest days won’t pose an issue.
DDoS protection and bandwidth throttling circumvention will be handy any day of the week. The malware blocker makes sure you don’t fall victim to malicious software as well. As for SafeSwap servers – they periodically rotate your IP address without dropping the VPN connection.
P2P is enabled in all country locations, and even freemium users get to enjoy torrenting. Streaming is only available to premium subscribers – they can unblock Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Video Prime, and other platforms.
You can play GTA with the free Atlas VPN version. There’s just enough bandwidth for comfortable game sessions, 2 GB/month, and lag won’t be a problem, especially if you’re close to the US and Netherlands servers.
$2.05/month after applying an Atlas VPN code won’t make a dent in your wallet. And rest assured – the 30-day money-back guarantee means you can recoup your losses if it’s not your cup of tea.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
Things to consider when choosing a VPN for GTA Online
Only a few premium VPNs are suitable for gaming, especially for Grand Theft Auto 5. A VPN for GTA should meet these specific requirements:
- Vast server fleet. Having as much hardware as possible helps avoid overcrowding, which affects your connection. It also aids you in finding the best gaming servers near you without having to sacrifice speed.
- Lightning-fast speeds. Stable connections, modest ping, and minimal lag require low latency and high download rates. These factors are affected by the servers themselves, too. Pick the places closest to you as a rule of thumb. For better service comparisons, feel free to utilize our VPN speed test tool.
- Exceptional security. GTA Online players face various risks, from Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks to their personal information being exposed by malicious users. A GTA 5 VPN should prevent this with IP and DNS leak protection, AES-256 encryption, and a kill switch.
- Router compatibility. Most people enjoy this game through their consoles. Because PlayStation and Xbox hardware does not natively support VPNs, this software has to be set up on the router. Pick a provider that supports this and provides manual installation instructions.
- Price-to-feature ratio. Just because a service is expensive does not mean that it offers the right amount of tools to keep yourself anonymous and comfortable while playing. Don’t be afraid to try cheaper VPNs if they include all the features you need.
- Customer support. You should be able to get ahold of a professional 24/7 via live chat to help you troubleshoot any problems.
How to change GTA Online region: alternative methods
Besides changing the location to unlock restricted content, some people simply seek to better their GTA 5 lobby experience. Nowadays, it’s not uncommon for the matchmaking system to thrust you into servers full of modders or Chinese players. Then, you’re bound to be hunkered down by lag, a language barrier, and forced & unfair PvP.
While we strongly recommend using a GTA VPN, there are other ways to change your location. Each method comes with its own cons, of course.
Proxy servers are intermediaries between your PC and the services you are accessing. When connecting, the page you’re reaching doesn’t see you as the visitor but the proxy instead. This way, your actual IP address remains hidden. Users can choose from many free and paid options, including HTTP and SOCKS versions.
While it does its job on an application level, the problem here is that you still remain vulnerable. Your traffic remains visible to everyone, and bad actors can still take advantage of this information to attack you. On the other hand, VPNs encrypt your connections, hiding all data being passed through the tunnels.
Here’s how to set up a proxy server on your PC (Windows):
- Go to the Windows Settings menu – you can do this by clicking on the gear icon on the Start menu
- Then go to Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy
- In the Manual Setup section, toggle the Use a Proxy Server option On
- Here you have to enter several things: the Address field requires the proxy server name or IP address, while the Port field requires the proxy port number
- Check the Proxy server requires password box if the server has a password. Enter your account name and password in the respective fields.
- Click Save – and you’re done!
Friends list and crew
The most distinct aspect of Grand Theft Auto V is that, in simple terms, it is a serverless game. While you still get put into lobbies based on your general region, technically, the system tries to directly match you to friends and crew.
Some Reddit users noticed that your friends list influences this type of matchmaking. Let’s say you have lots of buddies from the UK, Germany, and France. Then you’re bound to get connected to EU sessions much more than usual.
The same goes for crews – the system will try to match you with them whenever possible. Simply adding more friends or joining crews from your desired region can help find better lobbies and potentially avoid toxic ones.
It doesn’t solve any security issues, though. Your IP address remains visible because of the direct connection between game clients while matchmaking. This method is viable only if you want to play in other regions – you need a robust VPN for complete protection.
Extra benefits of using a VPN on GTA online
GTA VPNs are useful not just for keeping you safe from players with a vendetta to ruin you beyond the game. Additionally, you’ll enjoy:
- Virtual anonymity. You can safely join sessions without the fear of being targeted by hackers. Due to various privacy tools, like IP and DNS leak protection, everything about you remains private as long as the connection keeps running. So, no more DDoS or doxxing.
- Cheaper in-game purchases. One requires tools to build criminal enterprises, and you get these by buying them. The problem here is that they cost more in congested areas. But, with a VPN, you can simply change your location to places where the tools are cheaper. Keep in mind that this goes against Rockstar’s ToS – you will be banned if caught doing this.
- No more restrictions. If you find yourself in a country where GTA 5 is banned, e.g., Pakistan, China, Greece, you’ll be delighted to know that a VPN for GTA Online allows to circumvent this problem. Just connect to a place where it’s freely available.
Can I use a free VPN for GTA Online?
Technically, you can use a free VPN for GTA V, but we strongly recommend not to. You run a higher risk of getting caught using such services and being banned for it by Rockstar. Furthermore, free providers are often unreliable and are more likely to ruin the whole experience. With a free VPN for GTA 5, you get:
- Malware infested VPN clients that are a risk for your overall safety
- Tiny fleets with only 3-4 servers that are so full your VPN connection will be dropping every few minutes
- User trackers that collect your data and then sell it to the highest bidder
- Speeds that make snails look like F1 racers
- Basic “protection” tools that won’t even properly change your IP address or secure your connections
- Unreliable customer support that is more likely to ignore you than help with any issues
However, we understand that some people run on a tight budget and can’t always afford premium services. In this case, you should pick free gaming VPN providers who are reputable and transparent about what they do and how they do it.
The world of Grand Theft Auto Online is genuinely expansive, drawing in crowds of gamers to partake in numerous activities together. But due to how this multiplayer title works, your experience can be quickly soured by malicious players, slow speeds, and not being able to access restricted content.
The best workaround for these problems is trusted VPNs. Services like NordVPN allow you to mask your online identity while keeping you as secure as possible from Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attacks and other threats. Moreover, you’ll enjoy lag-free gameplay thanks to premium providers’ top speeds.
Have you tried using VPNs with GTA Online before? What was your lobby experience like? Let us know by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Valorant
Best VPN for Apex Legends
Best VPN for Lost Ark
Best VPN for Warzone
Best VPN for Destiny 2
Best VPN for Fortnite
Best VPN for CS:GO
Best VPN for Dota 2
Does GTA V ban VPNs?
Yes, there is a GTA Online VPN ban in effect. Utilizing such services is against Rockstar’s Terms of Service and EULA. If you get caught violating these rules, your account will be permanently banned. You can avoid this by subscribing only to the best VPNs for GTA.
How do I change my region on GTA Online?
The easiest way to change your region on GTA Online is with a VPN. Premium providers have expansive server networks scattered across many different countries. Simply pick and connect to a location, start GTA 5, and that’s it.
Will my VPN unblock GTA 5 Online Casino?
Yes, a reliable VPN will unblock the GTA Online Diamond Casino. Currently, it is banned in 55 countries because of online gambling restriction laws. Here, players can participate in high-stakes games to win more in-game currency and socialize with others.
Will a VPN reduce my gaming speed?
Every VPN slightly slows down your gaming speed unless your ISP is throttling you. In that case, it will become faster. However, if you subscribe to premium VPN services, the drop will be barely noticeable.
Can I use GTA Online VPN on Xbox and PlayStation?
Yes, you can use a VPN for GTA V on gaming consoles. Although Xbox and PlayStation don’t support such software natively, you can utilize it by installing the VPN on your router. Then, every device connected to your Wi-Fi will be protected.