Since its launch back in 2017, Fortnite remains one of the most famous battle royales. The high level of character customization, gratifying tier rewards, and colorful style hook in players right from the start. But to the dismay of many, especially younger enthusiasts, Fortnite is usually blocked in schools, colleges, and even workplaces.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can easily circumvent this slight issue. VPNs change your IP address to make it look like you’re connecting from somewhere else, granting you access to blocked content. Furthermore, they are convenient for those wanting to bypass Fortnite bans and proxy errors, reduce lag, and prevent DDoS. So, pick one of the best VPNs for Fortnite we’ve covered below and board the Battle Bus.
Best VPN for Fortnite: shortlist
- The best VPN for Fortnite9.7
- Fortnite VPN with top-notch privacy9.5
- Affordable VPN for Fortnite9.0
- Fortnite VPN with no virtual servers8.9
- VPN for Fortnite with a free version8.5
How to install a VPN for Fortnite
- Subscribe to a Fortnite VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN, available for 68% off!
- Install the VPN on the device you use to play Fortnite
- Connect to a server nearest to you
- Dive into the action!
Why do you need a VPN for Fortnite?
Chances are you won’t be able to access the game if you’re thinking of playing Fortnite outside your home. Schools and colleges block this battle royale on their networks to stop students from using too much bandwidth and being distracted from lessons.
Speaking about bandwidth, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) probably isn’t a big fan of you using exceeding amounts. If that’s the case, ISPs throttle your speeds, increasing ping and significantly reducing overall connection performance. Ever wonder why you’re lagging even though your internet is supposed to be excellent? Well, this is it.
Many battle royale enthusiasts aren’t able to play Fortnite at all. We’re talking about China, Iran, Iraq, Crimea, Cuba, North Korea, and Syria. Some countries only block the Arena mode, while others have barred access to the whole game.
Then there’s security. Cheaters and bad actors are rampant across the battle-torn islands of Fortnite, and you can become their unsuspecting victim for the most illogical reasons. Players are highly vulnerable to Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attacks, which disconnect you from the match and make you lose.
Last but not least, Fortnite has a reputation for banning people left and right, sometimes without reason. If you’ve ever fallen victim to the ban hammer, you know how much it sucks not being able to play whenever you like, especially when you did nothing wrong.
The best gaming VPNs help solve all the issues mentioned above. A simple IP address change and encryption do wonders for your gameplay experience and online security. Furthermore, these services are highly versatile, meaning you can use them for other purposes, like streaming and torrenting.
Best VPNs for Fortnite: overview
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Fortnite
- Surfshark – Fortnite VPN with top-notch privacy
- PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for Fortnite
- IPVanish – Fortnite VPN with no virtual servers
- Atlas VPN – VPN for Fortnite with a free version
Not every regular provider ensures an excellent experience, so that’s why the best VPNs for Fortnite should meet several requirements. Low latency, small ping, and no lagging are only possible with lightning-fast speeds. A far-reaching server network also plays into this as the variety of locations helps you pick the best one for you.
Since security is a big concern with Fortnite, a kill-switch, DDoS prevention, IP and DNS leak protection, and military-grade encryption must appear in the feature list. Besides that, router compatibility will be your brother-in-arms if you frequently haunt the ever-shrinking arena via PlayStation or Xbox.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Fortnite
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx-fuelled speeds
- Expansive server list
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
Many players find that NordVPN is the best VPN for Fortnite. Its exceptional security and privacy features keep you safe under wraps, whether you’re blasting aggressive opponents or chilling on the web. Encrypted connections prevent hackers from DDoS’ing you and your ISP from throttling speeds.
Speaking of connectivity, you’ll find the best server to play Fortnite in no time from the 5500+ servers spread across 59+ countries. Expect remarkably smooth sessions since they are a guarantee with the NordLynx tunneling protocol. All hardware is bare-metal – cutting out virtualization from the process leads to significant performance benefits.
After you’re done scavenging the island for weapons, kick back and relax with your favorite shows. NordVPN quickly unblocks foreign Netflix libraries, Disney+, Hulu, and other popular streaming services. If that’s not enough, you can torrent on the side via P2P servers.
This VPN supports and has applications for all major operating systems, plus Android TV and Amazon Fire Stick for maximum versatility. While there is no app for routers, manual setup is quick and easy.
Just apply our NordVPN coupon and snatch a subscription for $3.09/month. You get 6 simultaneous connections and top-notch protection. There is a 7-day free trial available via the Google Play Store, and the 30-day money-back guarantee lets you buy risk-free.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Fortnite VPN with top-notch privacy
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Lightning-fast speeds
- Excellent security measures
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Unlimited simultaneous connections aren’t the only reason Surfshark ranks high on our list. Complete device coverage coupled with top-notch features means all tech you have in the house is safe from malware, DDoS, and similar threats. The only thing you’ll have to fear are in-game ambushes.
Pick the optimal Fortnite server from 3200+ servers in 95+ countries and start racking up points. Thanks to the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol, the gameplay will be smooth as butter. If you’re worried about anonymity, don’t be – all hardware is RAM-only, meaning no data is being stored.
The nifty Bypasser feature lets you route your VPN connection via Fortnite only, saving up bandwidth. The Nexus upgrade boosts your privacy because of the IP Rotator. This tool regularly changes your IP address without disconnecting from the VPN.
Streaming enthusiasts will be delighted to know that Surfshark lets you watch geo-restricted shows and movies from Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. Torrenting won’t pose an issue as well – all servers allow P2P.
Starting at $2.21/month with a Surfshark discount code, Fortnite players are in for a treat with this VPN. Feel free to get yourself familiar with it via the 7-day free trial (Android and iOS) or subscribe and utilize the 30-day money-back guarantee down the line.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for Fortnite
24/7 live chat
- Owns all servers
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Bypasses geo-blocks
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
Enjoy stable performance with PrivateVPN, one of the many great choices for Fortnite. This VPN assembled all the right features, so you’re getting a solid package for an incredibly wallet-friendly price. Broad device compatibility, optimized infrastructure, and wicked speeds make your subscription worthwhile.
The tight-knit fleet of 200+ servers in 63+ countries boasts quality hardware. Even connecting to farther locations won’t dampen your Fortnite sessions or negatively affect latency. The fact that PrivateVPN operates all hardware will calm those worried about third-party tampering.
Unlike its competitors, this VPN buys its internet capacity straight from the source – IP transit providers. How does this affect your gameplay? Well, fewer routing hops naturally lead to incredible speeds. Plus, you can install it on your router, increasing the security of all household devices connected to the network.
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other streaming platforms will fill the entertainment void when Fortnite grows tiresome. Plus, torrenting is enabled on all servers for all your P2P traffic needs.
$2.00/month isn’t much to pay for a premium service that offers 10 simultaneous connections to boot. You’ll have to apply our PrivateVPN coupon first, of course. Take the 7-day free trial for a spin before you subscribe. And if it’s just not for you, freely utilize the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Fortnite VPN with no virtual servers
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- No device limit
- Malware protection
- Lacks anonymous payment
If you’re looking for a VPN for Fortnite with extra security tools, don’t miss out on IPVanish. Besides the usual feature roster you’ll find at most premium services, this provider spices it up with VIPRE antivirus. You won’t have to worry about malware, phishing, or data loss.
You can expect much from this sizable network boasting 2000+ servers scattered in 50+ countries. Aided by the WireGuard tunneling protocol, your Fortnite sessions are guaranteed to be lag-free. Now, to put the cherry on top – none of the hardware is virtual, meaning latency will be minimal.
For those who want to be sneaky, the Scramble option of OpenVPN will come in handy. It disguises VPN traffic from Deep Packet Inspections (DPIs), meaning no one will realize you’re using such services. It even allows to bypass firewalls in censorship-heavy countries.
You can comfortably download files as all servers facilitate P2P traffic. Furthermore, split tunneling will route your traffic through the torrent client only for better speeds. Streaming will prove troublesome, though, as currently, IPVanish unblocks only Netflix US.
Save your money by applying our IPVanish discount code to pay just $3.33/month for unlimited simultaneous connections. While there is no free trial to familiarize yourself with, the 30-day money-back guarantee secures you from losing out entirely.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – VPN for Fortnite with a free version
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Best free version
- Unlimited connections
- Great against geo-blocking
- No manual router configuration
Atlas VPN is one of the cheapest VPNs for Fortnite you can subscribe to. You’ll easily avoid DDoS and bandwidth throttling while securing everything you own with no device limit. Weary of all the malicious software floating around? The malware blocker will take care of them in no time.
750+ servers in 37+ countries are enough to find the best connection locations for optimized Fortnite gameplay. If you’re looking for low latency even in the busiest of hours, WireGuard-boosted speeds won’t let you down.
Thanks to this VPN’s geo-block bypassing capabilities, you can always take a break from Fortnite with HBO Max, Disney+, and numerous Netflix libraries. Sharing files via P2P won’t pose an issue as well because torrenting is enabled on all servers.
The great thing about Atlas VPN is that comfortable gaming is a guarantee on the free version as well. You get 10Gb/month and a total of 3 convenient server locations in the US and the Netherlands. There’s a one device per account limit, though.
Apply an Atlas VPN discount code and fetch yourself a better price – $1.83/month. The free version might fulfill your needs at first, but feel free to switch to a premium plan when it becomes lacking. The 30-day money-back guarantee has you covered.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
What should I look for in a VPN for Fortnite?
The only thing you should be worried about when playing Fortnite is the arena shrinking as players keep offing each other. You need to subscribe to a VPN with the right tools to make sure you’ve got your head in the game. Here’s what you should consider:
- Expansive server list. A global presence means you’re likely to find the best Fortnite server near you, ensuring superb connectivity and improved performance. Overcrowding becomes less of an issue since fewer players are jumping into the same VPN location as you.
- Incredible speeds. Zero lag and low ping are critical for battle royales, where even a minor technical error can cost you the title of champion. Remember to pick the server closest to you and make sure the Fortnite VPN provider delivers the speeds it promises. We recommend checking out our VPN speed test tool.
- Tight security measures. DDoS attacks, malware, phishing, and other risks should become a thing of the past with the right services. The feature list must include AES-256 encryption, IP and DNS leak protection, and a kill switch.
- Router configuration. Most people play Fortnite on consoles that don’t support VPNs natively. The only way to secure gaming systems is by installing the client on the router. Consider those providers who offer this.
- Entertainment. Your pastime shouldn’t be limited to just games – a suitable VPN should be able to bypass streaming platform geo-blocks and allow torrenting.
- Price-to-feature ratio. We’ve noticed that cheaper VPN providers tend to outperform expensive ones regarding features and versatility. Don’t be afraid to try a budget-friendly service if it offers precisely what you need.
- Customer support. 24/7 live chat support is crucial if, by chance, the VPN goes haywire at the most critical moments.
What gets you banned from Fortnite?
Many players utilize VPNs to get around bans. As of writing this article, Epic Games dishes out three types of ban-hammers:
- IP address – the easiest ban you can bypass with a VPN in just a few clicks. All you need to do is change your IP by connecting to a server.
- Account – your username and IP are banned temporarily (up to 30 days) or permanently. You can write an appeal letter to support or create an alt account and continue playing. Note that the system can still trace it back to the original account with the latter option, so it is recommended to use a robust VPN in conjunction.
- Hardware ID (HWID) – this one targets your system’s component, usually the hard drive. The only way to fix this is by getting a new one. Before you do that, try reinstalling your Windows OS or use a different device to play the game if you have one.
While Fortnite is no stranger to blocking people from accessing the game for no reason, it does so to crack down on potential cheaters and menaces to the overall player base. Here are some reasons why you can receive a Fortnite ban:
- Cheating, exploiting or promoting game-breaking glitches and bugs
- Threatening, harassing, intimidating, abusing, or inciting violence against other players
- Posting inappropriate content or sharing personal information
- Scamming, deceiving, or promoting illegal activities such as doxing, swatting, gambling, etc.
- Discriminating against ethnicities, sexual orientations, races, religions, genders, etc.
- Impersonating other players, streamers, celebrities, well-known people, etc.
- Teaming up with opposing team players to get an advantage
If you don’t want to be cut off from Fortnite for a while or possibly forever, it’s in your best interest not to go against the game’s Terms of Service. And well, if you do end up with your IP banned, there’s nothing that a simple IP address change can do with the right VPN.
How to fix the Fortnite VPN ban?
For those unaware, using a VPN for Fortnite violates this battle royale’s TOS. If the game detects that you’re running such services, it will disconnect you from the match. You’ll be greeted with this message:
But why would wanting more privacy and better security infringe on the rules? Fortnite may ban VPN traffic because of cheaters trying to circumvent blocks imposed upon them. While this hurts regular players trying to look out for themselves online, Epic Games deems it necessary to prevent hostile gamers from wreaking havoc.
Thankfully, the Fortnite VPN kick fix is quick and easy – just disconnect from your current server and pick another one. If the issue persists, your provider isn’t good enough to remain undetected by the game. Then, it’s time to switch to a reliable VPN capable of staying hidden. We’ve found that services like NordVPN that offer the Obfuscated servers feature or something similar are perfect for this.
How to fix Fortnite lag with a VPN
- Subscribe only to the best Fortnite VPN. You’ll never be disappointed with NordVPN.
- Install the software on your PC, phone, or router (for console play)
- Connect to a server closest to your location
- Open Fortnite and board the Battle Bus!
Fortnite VPN error fixes
So, you’re connected to a server, the game is up and running, but a particular message still keeps haunting you – “This account has been banned.” Or maybe you’re a Chinese player trying to get a couple of matches in before hitting the hay, except your trusty ol’ VPN suddenly can’t bypass the geo-block. There are several ways you can troubleshoot these Fortnite VPN errors:
- Disconnect from the server, reboot the VPN, connect to another location, and reload Fortnite as well
- Check if all IP and DNS leak protection features are turned on
- Cycle through secure tunneling protocols until you find the one that works
- Make sure your VPN is up to date and download the update if needed
- Contact customer support and consult a professional
If your troubles persist, your provider is not cutting it – time for a change. We strongly recommend switching only to the best Fortnite VPNs like NordVPN. Such services offer top-notch security and privacy measures, incredible speeds, and the ability to bypass restrictions with ease. Their obfuscation tools ensure that Fortnite can’t detect that you’re using a VPN.
Can I use a free VPN for Fortnite?
You should avoid free Fortnite VPNs, especially if you know nothing about the providers and their credibility. While they cost nothing, the zero-sum pricetag comes with various security and privacy risks. And you’re not even guaranteed great performance to boot. These pitfalls await with most free VPNs for Fortnite:
- Malware-riddled clients that compromise your overall safety
- Data leaks that leave your online identity and activities exposed to everyone with the right tools
- Data collection performed by the free VPN provider itself, and your info being sold off later to anyone with the highest bid
- Overcrowded servers, which are limited to 3 or 4 at most available to the free tier
- Stringent data and speed caps that will leave you thankful for your ISP being quite generous with their internet throttling
Is it worth jeopardizing yourself just to save some cash? We don’t think so, especially since there are alternatives for those who don’t have money to spare. You can always try the free trial versions of trustworthy VPNs – they include the complete feature list and give enough time to consider if they’re worthy of your subscription.
Despite the general feeling of doom and gloom associated with free VPNs, a few services are deserving of your time. As mentioned above, reliability and legitimacy are vital, and we’ve found that the best free gaming VPNs meet our strict requirements.
With new seasons bringing bigger and better rewards, costumes, skins, and tools, Fortnite’s popularity isn’t going to be fading anytime soon. The risks associated with online gaming and general unavailability aren’t vanishing either.
Whether it’s an unjust Fortnite ban or ISP throttling, you can guarantee yourself an excellent experience with reliable VPNs. Providers like NordVPN bypass pesky geo-blocks, hide your online identity from malicious snoopers, and circumvent bans like no other services can.
What’s the most ridiculous reason you got banned on Fortnite? Did a VPN help evade it? Tell us all about it below!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Apex Legends
Best VPN for Dota 2
Best VPN for PUBG
Best VPN for Warzone
Best VPN for GTA Online
Best VPN for Lost Ark
Best VPN for CS:GO
Watch MLB.TV without blackouts
Can you get banned for using a VPN on Fortnite?
Using a VPN to play Fortnite is a bannable violation of the game’s Terms of Service. Fortnite does this to stop cheaters from bypassing IP bans. You have nothing to worry about if you’re using the best Fortnite VPNs capable of remaining undetected by the anti-cheat system.
How to fix the Fortnite VPN kick issue?
A simple VPN server change should fix the kick issue. If the problem persists, you’re using sub-par VPN services and should switch to a better provider. Our top recommendation is NordVPN.
Will a VPN increase my Fortnite ping?
A VPN will slightly increase your ping on Fortnite. However, it should be minimal and won’t affect your gameplay much if you connect to the servers closest to you. Anything below 50 milliseconds is considered more than acceptable.
Is Fortnite banned in China?
Yes, Fortnite is unavailable in China, and the local version has been shut down since 2021. However, Chinese players can still dive into the action by utilizing trusted VPN services.