Every self-respecting American is familiar with Major League Baseball (MLB). It’s a classic sporting event broadcast on television and modern streaming services like MLB.tv. However, stay-at-home fans are frequently disappointed by regional blackouts, which prevent watching matches that include local teams.
Luckily, a VPN (or Virtual Private Network) for MLB.tv can fix this nuisance. With it, you can change your virtual location and watch matches regardless of what teams are playing. Read on and find out which five VPNs are best for MLB TV.
Best VPN for MLB.tv: shortlist
- The best VPN for MLB.tv9.7
- MLB.tv VPN with exceptional features9.3
- Affordable VPN for MLB TV9.2
- MLB.tv VPN with unlimited connections8.9
- Cheapest MLB TV VPN8.5
How to avoid blackouts on MLB.tv with a VPN
- Purchase a reliable MLB.tv VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN, now 57% off!
- Download the VPN on your favorite baseball-viewing device
- Connect to a server where a particular match isn’t restricted
- Watch MLB without dealing with blackouts!
Why do you need a VPN to watch MLB TV?
MLB TV is an online streaming service that broadcasts Major League Baseball on various devices. Unfortunately, it imposes blackouts based on your geographic location by tracking your IP address.
Essentially, blackouts prevent US viewers from watching matches with their local teams. For example, if you live in Philadelphia, you’re restricted from watching any event on MLB.tv with the Phillies team. This practice is in place because regional broadcasting rights are granted to local TV stations, which usually do not share those rights with online service providers. Of course, this is quite frustrating if you’re a cord-cutter that prefers online streaming over television with all its drawbacks.
Luckily, baseball fans can use the best VPN services to change their virtual location by connecting to numerous servers scattered across the USA and other parts of the world. Plus, a VPN service grants military-grade encryption, an essential component of online privacy and preventing internet service provider throttling.
Best VPNs for MLB.tv: overview
- NordVPN – the best VPN for MLB.tv
- Surfshark VPN – MLB.tv VPN with exceptional features
- PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for MLB TV
- IPVanish – MLB.tv VPN with unlimited connections
- Atlas VPN – cheapest MLB TV VPN
Streaming high-definition video content requires wicked-fast internet connections. Unsurprisingly, a VPN connection inevitably slows down your bandwidth, potentially resulting in buffering or low-quality video. However, the fastest VPN providers utilize modern and efficient tunneling protocols such as WireGuard to keep this speed loss to a minimum.
Besides that, a good VPN for MLB needs a wide array of servers for optimal performance and effective geo-unblocking. Plus, applications for the most popular devices ensure a convenient VPN setup. Alternative installation methods for home entertainment systems like Android TV and Roku should also be on the table.
We’ve tested numerous providers with MLB.tv and five VPNs came out on top. Read more about each and choose one for your needs.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for MLB.tv
24/7 live chat, Email
- Exceptionally fast
- Compatible with various devices
- Independently audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN is the service that will score a home run when unblocking MLB TV. It can easily deal with online restrictions and provide swift 4K-ready connections. See for yourself by claiming the NordVPN 7-day free trial on the Google Play Store.
NordVPN is equipped with 5400+ servers across 60+ countries worldwide with US locations further split into 16 different cities. Most utilize RAM-only technology to ensure proper data handling without storing any information on hard drives. Meanwhile, blazing-fast connectivity is provided with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
The provider’s extraordinary streaming capabilities are showcased when combining NordVPN with Netflix to unlock numerous foreign libraries. Naturally, the VPN works with other platforms, such as HBO Max, Peacock, and MLB.TV. Streaming devices like the Amazon Fire TV Stick and Android TV are also supported with dedicated apps. Plus, you can share NordVPN with friends and family since one account permits 6 simultaneous connections.
Unlock $3.49/month starting prices by using a valid NordVPN coupon code. Plus, you can easily enjoy the service for up to a month risk-free, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – MLB.tv VPN with exceptional features
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Great performance at an affordable price
- Smart DNS for easy content unblocking
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark is a VPN for MLB TV that provides unfathomable value for money. It’s packed with cutting-edge features, secures an unlimited number of devices, and is extremely budget-friendly. Give it a shot by snagging the 7-day free Surfshark trial on either the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
When it comes to servers, Surfshark users can choose from over 3200 across 100+ countries. Moreover, the US locations are categorized by cities, allowing MLB fans to conveniently select a server that will remove local blackouts. Plus, the VPN supports connections with the lightning-fast WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Normally, VPNs require dedicated apps or manual configuration to work with less-known devices. However, Smart DNS, which is available with Surfshark, allows users to circumvent most geo-restrictions without installing anything. However, you can also use Surfshark VPN on Android TV and Amazon FireOS via specialized apps or install the VPN on a router as an alternative.
Buyers can unlock Smart DNS and other perks using a Surfshark discount code to subscribe for only $2.30/month. Lastly, you can back away during the first month by taking advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN for MLB TV
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- Excellent streaming performance
- Features for various use cases
- Lacks WireGuard
Users seeking a multi-purpose VPN service should look no further than PrivateVPN. It has plenty of features for security, streaming, and even torrenting.
PrivateVPN customers gain access to 200+ servers in 63+ countries. While small in terms of numbers, the fleet is completely owned by the provider and ensures no snooping from unwanted visitors. Additionally, performance is further enhanced by purchasing HQN (High Quality Network) directly from IP transit providers.
Content fans can easily unblock various movies and TV shows by utilizing PrivateVPN apps on desktop or mobile devices and even Android TV. Meanwhile, P2P activities can be improved by utilizing port forwarding and a SOCKS5 proxy to secure your torrent client. Plus, one account provides security for up to 10 different devices simultaneously.
Start your journey with this VPN by claiming the 7-day free trial. After that, pricing starts at only $2.00/month when using a PrivateVPN coupon at checkout. Naturally, each subscription is protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – MLB.tv VPN with unlimited connections
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Blazing-fast connections
- Audited no-logs policy
- VIPRE antivirus protection
- No anonymous payment methods
Besides streaming, VPNs are typically used as digital security and privacy tools. IPVanish can do it all with its solid technical features and the addition of VIPRE antivirus software.
IPVanish runs a fleet of 2000+ servers in 50+ countries. All hardware is operated strictly by the provider without any assistance from third parties. Furthermore, peak performance is guaranteed with zero virtual servers and by activating WireGuard.
Although IPVanish is based in the United States, a core member of the Five Eyes alliance, zero-logs compliance is verified with an independent audit. Plus, the service provides web traffic scrambling features for dealing with online censorship. Naturally, the VPN has no issues dealing with geographical restrictions imposed by streaming platforms on video content.
One downside with this service is that it lacks a free trial. However, you can still make use of the 30-day money-back guarantee for a risk-free test drive. And prices start at $3.99/month when activating an IPVanish discount code.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – cheapest MLB TV VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Well-performing free version
- Great privacy-enhancing features
- Reliable geo-block circumvention
- No router configuration
The most pocket-friendly VPN for MLB TV is Atlas VPN. It’s exceptionally affordable and effective at dealing with geo-blocks and online privacy nuisances.
For starters, Atlas VPN boasts a network of 750+ servers across 37+ countries. Expansive regions like the US are further segmented based on cities, meaning sports fans will have no issues getting around local blackouts effectively. Unsurprisingly, the WireGuard tunneling protocol will guarantee pleasant and lag-free streaming experiences.
In terms of privacy, Atlas VPN grants various methods of hiding your online identity. For example, SafeSwap servers will periodically change your IP address without interrupting the VPN connection. Alternatively, Multihop+ can take this a step further and intermittently alter your location as well.
Potential customers can get introduced to this service via the free version. But if you’re not keen on limitations, use an Atlas VPN coupon and subscribe for only $2.05/month. Plus, you can always back out with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to watch MLB.tv with a VPN on various devices
MLB TV and VPNs are compatible with various widely-used devices and platforms. However, the process of combining the two for blackout avoidance differs based on the type of device. For example, a PC or mobile device simply requires a dedicated VPN app, which most services have. However, smart TVs require manual router configuration since they don’t support the usual Android-based apps that Android TV and Amazon Fire TV support.
We’ll provide a few general guidelines on setting up a VPN with MLB.tv on different platforms.
How to watch MLB TV with a VPN on PC
- Subscribe to a well-performing MLB TV VPN. Our #1 recommendation is NordVPN, the best VPN for streaming
- Download and install the VPN on your desktop or laptop computer
- Log in to the VPN with your credentials
- Connect to a US region where a particular match isn’t restricted
- Visit the MLB TV website and cheer for your local team!
How to watch MLB TV with a VPN on smart TVs
- Sign up for a VPN service that’s configurable on routers. We suggest NordVPN
- Setup your home router with a VPN connection
- Set the VPN location in a US region where you won’t experience blackouts
- Connect your smart TV to the router network
- Tune into MLB.tv and enjoy unrestricted baseball viewing!
How to watch MLB TV with a VPN on Amazon Fire Stick
- Purchase a VPN that has an Amazon FireOS app. I’d go with NordVPN, one of the top VPNs for Fire Stick
- Download the VPN app on your Fire Stick or Fire TV
- Log in and connect to a server in the US
- Install the MLB.tv app and watch baseball without limitations!
Why VPN is not working with MLB TV
Unsurprisingly, using a VPN to curb geo-restrictions on MLB.tv won’t always work as expected. The online streaming service isn’t fond of virtual private networks nullifying blackouts and usually blocks VPN IP addresses once detected. Alternatively, it could be an issue with the VPN provider itself leaking your IP address and failing to get around geographical restrictions.
Whatever the case is, here are a few solutions that you can try if your VPN is not working for MLB TV:
- Make sure your VPN app has enabled IP and DNS leak protection
- Clear the cache and cookies on your browser
- Switch to a different server
- Check if your VPN app is up-to-date
If nothing works, contact the customer service of your virtual private network. They should know what the problem is and suggest several options for solving it.
MLB.TV alternatives for watching Major League Baseball
Although MLB.tv is the official method of tuning into various baseball matches, there are other methods of watching the sport live. Plus, these alternative options are less-specialized and grant more entertainment options. Best of all, you could use a VPN to unblock even more TV shows and movies than with MLB.tv.
- ESPN. Arguably the most popular sports channel in America is ESPN. It broadcasts many worldwide sporting events, including NBA, the Australian Open, MMA, F1, and more. You can watch ESPN from anywhere via the online streaming service, starting at $6.99/month.
- Amazon Prime Video. Fans of this streaming platform can supplement the usual $139 annual subscription with an additional $25 monthly fee and unlock MLB.tv. Plus, a VPN for Amazon Prime Video can ensure that region-exclusive content is readily available to you.
- YouTube TV. Starting at $65/month, YouTube TV is a cord-cutter’s best friend as it offers numerous TV channels in one neat package. Besides MLB, the service also includes NFL, NBA, and other sporting events. However, YouTube TV is only available in the US, meaning foreigners without a VPN for YouTube TV are barred from this all-in-one service.
- Hulu + Live TV. Another US-based all-in-one streaming service with MLB.tv is Hulu. Besides granting access to existing channels, it produces exclusive content as well. Subscriptions begin at $69.99/month. Learn how to watch Hulu outside the US by checking our guide first.
- Peacock. With $5/month starting prices, NBC’s Peacock streaming service is one of the cheapest MLB.tv baseball-viewing alternatives. Naturally, prices can go up if you wish to access diverse content.
- Apple TV+. Another affordable $5/month option that grants access to Friday Night Baseball and Apple Originals. Plus, Apple TV+ is available beyond the US in countries like the UK, Canada, Australia, Brazil, and more.
- Sky Sports. UK fans can forego US-exclusive streaming services by opting for the local Sky Sports option to catch MLB games. The service costs around £20 per month and unlocks other sporting events from Formula 1 to boxing. And don’t forget to grab a UK VPN if you want to access the channel when traveling abroad.
Best free VPN for MLB.tv
Paying for an MLB.tv and VPN subscription might seem excessive just to avoid blackouts, especially since free VPN options are available. However, zero-cost virtual private networks are unreliable in this scenario because of:
- Tiny server networks. A VPN for MLB TV needs many server locations to guarantee blackout avoidance for fans in various USA regions. Free VPNs typically have a handful of servers that are quickly flagged by streaming platforms like MLB.tv.
- Throttled bandwidth. Free VPN providers are notorious for cutting corners whenever possible. This includes limiting connection speeds for users to keep maintenance costs low. As such, you’ll end up with frequent buffering and video quality issues.
- Data caps. Another limitation is daily or monthly browsing data caps. Video streaming quickly burns through browsing data, so you might be disconnected from the VPN in the middle of watching a baseball game.
- Poor security features. Premium VPNs ensure reliable geo-unblocking by effectively hiding your actual IP address. Meanwhile, free providers have difficulty dealing with geographical restrictions due to frequent DNS leaks.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to issues with free VPNs. Even freemium services aren’t ideal since the free plans don’t include the most sought-after VPN features that users need.
As such, your best money-saving option is utilizing a VPN with a free trial. Obviously, they won’t work for the entire Major League Baseball season, but at least you can try out a few and see which fits your needs best. After that, a VPN coupon code can unlock heavily discounted subscription options that aren’t available normally.
Using a VPN for MLB.tv is the only way to avoid frustrating blackouts and enjoy Major League Baseball to its fullest. However, not every virtual private network is suitable for the online streaming service.
Firstly, our top VPN recommendations for MLB TV categorize US servers by city, ensuring convenient connections to different regions to avoid blackouts. Plus, they’re packed with servers and utilize modern tunneling protocols to guarantee effective geo-block circumvention and lag-free streaming.
Don’t miss any baseball matches by subscribing to NordVPN, the best VPN for MLB TV!
Which VPN do you use with MLB.tv? Does it effectively deal with blackouts? Share your experience and leave a comment!
You may also like to read:
How to unblock websites
How to change location on Android
How to stream UFC live
How to watch Formula 1 online
How to watch NBA games online
How to watch Fox Sports anywhere
Can you use VPN for MLB TV?
Yes, there are no issues with combining a VPN with MLB TV to avoid blackouts. However, not every VPN service can effectively change your virtual location and ensure a frustration-free streaming experience. That’s why we recommend choosing from our top five MLB.tv VPNs.
Why is my VPN not working with MLB TV?
There are several reasons that could be causing a VPN to not work with MLB TV. Firstly, the service could be leaking your actual IP address, which prevents effective geo-block circumvention. Additionally, a server could be unoptimized for streaming or have its IP address flagged.Your best bet is to troubleshoot with the help of customer support or switch to a different VPN for streaming.
How do I get around MLB blackouts?
The best way to get around MLB blackouts is with a VPN for MLB.tv. It can redirect your web connection through a server in another US state, allowing you to watch your local team compete as if you were located elsewhere.