MLB.tv is one of the best places to catch baseball matches. Nevertheless, some games will be unavailable in your area due to MLB blackouts. For example, watching the Red Sox play on TV in Boston is impossible due to these restrictions. Luckily, an MLB VPN (Virtual Private Network) can fix this nuisance.
A solid VPN for MLB TV encrypts your internet traffic and changes your location to an American state of your choice. That way, you can get around MLB blackout and enjoy local games without limitations.
In this article, we’ll introduce you to the top 5 MLB VPNs that will easily bypass blackouts and ensure an excellent streaming experience.
Best VPN for MLB.tv: shortlist
- The best VPN for MLB.tv that we tested.9.7
- MLB TV VPN with unlimited connections.9.3
- The best affordable MLB.tv VPN.9.2
- Fast and safe VPN for MLB.tv blackouts.8.9
- Cheap MLB TV VPN with solid servers network.8.5
How to workaround MLB blackout with a VPN
Why do you need a VPN to watch MLB TV?
MLB TV is an online streaming service that broadcasts Major League Baseball on various devices. Unfortunately, it imposes blackouts based on your geographic location which cannot be avoided without an advanced VPN service.
Essentially, MLB blackouts prevent US viewers from watching matches with their local teams. For example, if you live in Philadelphia, you’re restricted from watching any event on MLB.tv with the Phillies team.
This practice is in place because regional broadcasting rights are granted to local TV stations, which usually do not share those rights with online service providers. Of course, this is quite frustrating if you’re a cord-cutter that prefers online streaming over television with all its drawbacks.
Luckily, baseball fans can use the best VPN for MLB TV and bypass blackouts. The best providers offer numerous servers scattered across the USA and other parts of the world. So, finding a place where matches are not blacked out will be a piece of cake. Plus, a VPN service grants top-of-the-line encryption, an essential component of online privacy, and unlocks geo-restricted content.
Best VPN for MLB.tv: overview
- NordVPN – The best VPN for MLB TV restrictions
- Surfshark– Robust VPN for watching baseball anywhere
- Atlas VPN – Budget-friendly MLB TV VPN to avoid blackouts
- ExpressVPN – Fast and secure best VPN for MLB.tv
- CyberGhost – MLB.tv VPN with the most servers
Streaming high-definition video content requires wicked-fast internet connections. Unsurprisingly, a VPN connection inevitably may slow down your speed, potentially resulting in buffering or low-quality video. However, the fastest VPN providers utilize modern and efficient tunneling protocols such as WireGuard to keep this speed loss to a minimum.
Besides that, a good VPN for MLB needs a wide array of servers for optimal performance and effective geo-unblocking. Plus, applications for the most popular devices ensure a convenient VPN setup. Alternative installation methods for home entertainment systems like Android TV and Roku should also be on the table.
We’ve tested numerous providers with MLB.tv, and five VPNs came out on top. Read more about each and choose one for your needs.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for MLB blackout
24/7 live chat, Email
- Exceptionally fast
- Compatible with various devices
- Independently audited and secure
- No router applet
The best VPN for MLB TV is NordVPN, because you can watch blackout MLB games as it has a large number of servers in the US, it can easily deal with online restrictions, and has the top speed to provide swift 4K-ready connections.
NordVPN is equipped with 5800+ servers across 60+ countries worldwide, with US locations further split into 16 different cities. All utilize RAM-only technology to ensure proper data handling without storing any information on hard drives. Meanwhile, blazing-fast connectivity is provided with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
The provider’s extraordinary streaming capabilities are showcased when combining NordVPN with Netflix to unlock numerous foreign libraries. Naturally, the VPN works with other platforms, such as NHL.tv, ESPN+, and MLB.TV. Streaming devices like the Amazon Fire TV Stick and Android TV are also supported with dedicated apps. Plus, you can share NordVPN with friends and family since one account permits 6 simultaneous connections.
Unlock 68% discount using a valid NordVPN coupon code. Plus, you can easily try out the service with the NordVPN free trial on Google Play Store. Once that runs out, you can still enjoy the service for up to a month risk-free, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – MLB.tv VPN with exceptional features
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Great performance at an affordable price
- Smart DNS for easy content unblocking
- Bonus features cost extra
Surfshark can surely get around MLB blackout restrictions. Plus, it provides unfathomable value for money. It’s packed with cutting-edge features, secures an unlimited number of devices, and is extremely budget-friendly.
When it comes to servers, Surfshark users can choose from over 3200 across 100+ countries. Moreover, the US locations are categorized by 25 cities, allowing MLB fans to select a server that will remove local blackouts conveniently. Plus, the VPN supports connections with the lightning-fast WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Normally, VPNs require dedicated apps or manual configuration to work with less-known devices. However, Smart DNS, which is available with Surfshark, allows users to circumvent most geo-restrictions without installing anything. However, you can also use Surfshark VPN on Android TV and Amazon Fire OS via specialized apps or install the VPN on a router as an alternative.
Buyers can unlock MLB.tv and other platforms using a Surfshark discount code that gives you a 83% discount. Give it a shot by snagging the 7-day free Surfshark trial on either the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Lastly, you can back away during the first month by taking advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – cheapest MLB TV VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Well-performing free version
- Great privacy-enhancing features
- Reliable geo-block circumvention
- No router configuration
The most pocket-friendly VPN to bypass blackout MLB games is Atlas VPN. It’s exceptionally affordable and effective at dealing with geo-blocks and online privacy nuisances.
For starters, Atlas VPN boasts a network of 1000+ servers across 42+ countries. Expansive countries like the US are further segmented based on regions, meaning sports fans will have no issues getting around local blackouts effectively. Unsurprisingly, the WireGuard tunneling protocol will guarantee pleasant and lag-free streaming experiences.
In terms of privacy, Atlas VPN grants various methods of hiding your online identity. For example, SafeSwap servers will periodically change your IP address without interrupting the VPN connection. Alternatively, MultiHop+ can take this a step further and intermittently alter your location as well.
Potential customers can get introduced to this service via the free version. But if you’re not keen on limitations, use an Atlas VPN coupon and get a 85% discount. Plus, you can always back out with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – flexible and secure best VPN for MLB.tv
24/7 live chat, email
- Unblocks MLB.tv streams
- Strong security suite
- Stable connection speeds
- A bit pricier
Another spot in our list of the best VPNs for MLB.tv goes to ExpressVPN simply because of its consistency and reliability. A big part of it is due to its proprietary Lightway tunneling protocol, which ensured the most stable connection speeds during our tests.
And with great power, comes great choice of servers. ExpressVPN covers 94+ countries with its numerous RAM-only servers. Out of all these, you get a wide selection of 15 locations in the USA alone. Combine that with its MediaStreamer feature to unblock not just MLB blackout games, but all the best streaming services as a bonus.
The security package includes all the essentials, such as a reliable kill switch, top-grade AES-256 encryption, and split tunneling. Even more, ExpressVPN has one of the most widely compatible services out there, including a specialized applet for easy router setup.
While ExpressVPN is a bit pricey, you should definitely give it a go. Especially if you take advantage of the available 30-day money-back guarantee. Just don’t forget to grab an ExpressVPN coupon to get a 49% discount.
For a deeper investigation of ExpressVPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – budget-friendly MLB.tv VPN
24/7 live chat
- Competitive pricing
- Enormous server armada
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- No RAM-only servers
If you’re looking for a cheap MLB VPN, choose CyberGhost. But don’t let a low price tag fool you – this service has some serious horsepower under the hood.
To begin with, CyberGhost controls one of the biggest VPN networks worldwide with 9360+ servers in 100+ countries, which includes 11 cities in the US. Among them, you can also find WireGuard-powered dedicated streaming servers, which unblock geo-restrictions of your MLB TV, Netflix, HBO Max, or other streaming accounts.
Furthermore, this VPN is extremely safe and transparent. Together with its audited no-logs policy and industry-standard AES-256 encryption, CyberGhost ensures your data is truly yours. To top it off, a trustworthy kill switch and steadfast DNS leak protection will make sure all your internet traffic is as private as it gets.
Moreover, this service is incredibly affordable since you can grab a subscription with a massive 84% discount. That is if you snatch one of the best CyberGhost deals. And, don’t worry, your investment is not set in stone, as you get a whopping 45-day money-back guarantee to try CyberGhost risk-free.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
Best MLB.tv VPN comparison
|Provider||NordVPN||Surfshark VPN||Atlas VPN||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost|
|Servers||5800+ in 60+ countries||3200+ in 100+ countries||1000+ in 42+ countries||3000+ in 94+ countries||9360+ in 100+ countries|
|Avg. speed||655 Mbps||620 Mbps||208 Mbps||247 Mbps||192 Mbps|
|Streaming||Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and more||Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Sky Sports, Disney+, Netflix, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Disney+ and more||Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Crunchyroll, Hulu, and more||Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and more|
|Log policy||No logs, independently audited thrice by PwC||No logs, independently audited by Deloitte||No logs||Court-proven, independently audited no-logs policy||No logs, independently audited by Deloitte|
If you’re looking for the best MLB blackout workaround tool, look no further than NordVPN. This pitcher will strike out every geo-block of any streaming service in its path, thanks to the exclusive SmartPlay feature. Even better, the NordLynx tunneling protocol ensures the best lag-free 4K broadcasts, so you don’t miss any detail.
How we tested these VPNs to watch MLB.tv
Having a nice assortment of US servers on your VPN is not quite enough to avoid MLB blackouts. Your chosen VPN toolbox should include a few more essentials to be efficient, such as a dependable kill switch or IP leak protection measures. With this in mind, let’s go through all the criteria for the best MLB.tv VPNs.
- Servers in the USA. Having more to choose from is always better, and a wide selection of US servers will definitely help you shun those pesky MLB TV blackouts. Also, it’s always a neat bonus if your VPN catalogs the servers by the cities.
- High speed. Our tested VPNs have to ensure the least possible speed loss, no matter where you live. In this case, a chosen VPN must employ modern and efficient tunneling protocols like WireGuard.
- Price. Even the best VPNs on the market shouldn’t cost a fortune. Luckily, the top VPN market contenders offer astonishing deals left and right. One thing to look out for is a free trial or a money-back guarantee period to test a service before any commitment.
- Compatibility. Most of the best MLB TV VPNs these days are already fully compatible with PCs and smartphones. However, streaming-specialized devices are becoming more popular by the day. Thus, it’s wise to go for a VPN that supports routers.
- Privacy and security. Leaking IP and browsing data is a serious threat to your privacy. The most trustworthy countermeasures are AES-256 encryption, DNS and IP leak protection, as well as a reliable kill switch.
- Customer support. Good customer service is always a solid sign of a quality product. If you find yourself in a sticky situation, all of our tested VPN providers have professional customer support specialists available 24/7.
Defy MLB TV blackouts! Join the NordVPN family and watch every MLB.tv blackout game. Unlock any restrictions with the SmartPlay feature and get unparalleled connection speeds powered by NordLynx.
What are MLB blackouts?
If you’re a big fan of baseball, you’ve certainly ran into annoying MLB blackout rules. They restrict you from viewing local games in your area. These limitations are imposed to protect local broadcasting rights, teams, and partners. For instance, due to the MLB.tv restrictions, you can’t watch Rangers games on TV or streaming services in Texas. If you want to find out which games are restricted in your area, below you’ll find MLB blackout map:
MLB.tv blackout restrictions are frustrating for those who can’t attend the games live due to financial situation or distance. Moreover, blackout rules are quite confusing and depend on various factors, such as location, team affiliation, and broadcast agreements. As you can see in the MLB tv blackout map, the worst state to be a baseball fan is Iowa, as the local channels have to restrict access to 6 MLB teams.
Luckily, a reliable VPN can lend you a hand and help you bypass MLB.tv restrictions. All you have to do is get a top-tier virtual private network, change your location, a root for your favorite team!
How to bypass MLB.tv blackouts with VPN
MLB TV and VPNs are compatible with various widely-used devices and platforms. However, the process of combining the two for blackout avoidance differs based on the type of device. For example, a PC or mobile device simply requires a dedicated VPN app, which most services have. However, streaming devices and smart TVs require a little more attention.
We’ll provide a few general guidelines on setting up a VPN with MLB.tv on different platforms.
Bypass MLB.tv blackouts on PC (Windows, macOS)
Setting up your MLB stream on a PC is no heavy swing. Here’s a quick guide to help you watch any MLB.tv blackout game with a VPN:
- Subscribe to a well-performing MLB TV VPN. Our #1 recommendation is NordVPN, now 68% off
- Download and install the VPN on your desktop or laptop computer
- Log in to the VPN with your credentials
- Connect to a US region where a particular match isn’t restricted
- Visit the MLB TV website and cheer for your local team!
On smartphones (Android, iPhone/iOS)
Watching your favorite MLB games on your phone was never easier. Bypass MLB.tv blackouts on your Android or iOS smartphone with these few steps:
- Snatch a reliable VPN for MLB.tv. Our best pitcher is NordVPN, now 68% off
- Download your VPN app from your phone’s app store
- Connect to a US server with the available MLB matches of your team
- Open the MLB TV app or MLB.tv website
- Follow every home run without limitations!
On Amazon Fire TV Stick
You’ll have no trouble executing an MLB TV blackout workaround on a Fire Stick because most VPNs have apps for this popular device. Here are the necessary steps.
- Purchase a VPN that offers apps for Fire TV. Our go-to choice NordVPN, available for 68% off
- Download the VPN provider’s app from the Amazon Appstore on your FireOS device
- Connect to a server location where a particular MLB game isn’t restricted
- Open MBL TV and root for your favorite players without limits!
On streaming devices (smart TV, Roku, Apple TV)
Although gadgets like Fire Stick or Android TV have their dedicated VPN applications, it’s not the case with others. Devices such as Roku, smart TVs, and gaming consoles are not compatible with VPNs directly. Fortunately, setting up a VPN on your router works universally for all of them. It’s easier than it sounds once you check out these step-by-step instructions:
- Grab a router-compatible VPN. Our ol’ reliable is NordVPN, currently 68% off
- Install the VPN on your router
- Connect to a server in the USA with unrestricted MLB TV games
- Launch the MLB.tv website or MLB application
- Watch any MLB TV game without blackouts!
MLB.tv is not working with a VPN: solution
Unsurprisingly, using a VPN to curb geo-restrictions on MLB.tv won’t always work as expected. The online streaming service isn’t fond of virtual private networks nullifying blackouts and usually blocks VPN IP addresses once detected.
Alternatively, it could be an issue with the VPN provider itself leaking your IP address and failing to get around geographical restrictions.
Whatever the case, here are a few solutions you can try if your VPN is not working with MLB TV:
- Make sure your VPN app has enabled IP and DNS leak protection. You can always check for leaks on dnsleaktest.com or ipleak.net
- Clear the cache and cookies on your browser or try your browser’s incognito mode
- Switch to a different server
- Check if your VPN app is up-to-date
If nothing works, contact the customer service of your virtual private network provider. They should know what the problem is and suggest several options for solving it. As the matter of fact, all our best MLB TV VPNs offer 24/7 live chat support.
Best free VPN for MLB.tv
Paying for an MLB.tv and VPN subscription might seem excessive just to avoid blackouts, especially since free VPN options are available. However, zero-cost virtual private networks are unreliable in this scenario because of:
- Tiny server networks. A VPN for MLB TV needs many server locations to guarantee blackout avoidance for fans in various USA regions. Free VPNs typically have a handful of servers that are quickly flagged by streaming platforms like MLB.tv.
- Throttled bandwidth. Free VPN providers are notorious for cutting corners whenever possible. This includes limiting connection speeds for users to keep maintenance costs low. As such, you’ll end up with frequent buffering and video quality issues.
- Data caps. Another limitation is daily or monthly browsing data caps. Video streaming quickly burns through browsing data, so you might be disconnected from the VPN in the middle of watching a baseball game.
- Poor unlocking features. Premium VPNs ensure reliable geo-unblocking by effectively hiding your actual IP address. Meanwhile, free providers have difficulty dealing with geographical restrictions due to frequent DNS leaks.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to issues with free VPNs. Even freemium services aren’t ideal since the free plans don’t include the most sought-after VPN features that users need.
As such, your best money-saving option is utilizing a VPN with a free trial. Obviously, they won’t work for the entire Major League Baseball season, but at least you can try out a few and see which fits your needs best. After that, a VPN coupon code can unlock heavily discounted subscription options that aren’t available normally.
Using the best VPN for MLB.tv is the only way to avoid frustrating blackouts and enjoy Major League Baseball to its fullest. However, not every virtual private network is suitable for the streaming service.
Fortunately, we can definitely vouch for NordVPN, as it passed every MLB.tv blackout test we threw at it. Firstly, NordVPN categorizes US servers by city, ensuring convenient connections to different regions to avoid blackouts. Plus, it’s packed with servers and utilizes the fastest tunneling protocol – NordLynx – which guarantees effective geo-block circumvention and lag-free streaming.
Which VPN do you use with MLB.tv? Does it effectively deal with blackouts? Share your experience and leave a comment!
You may also like to read:
How to watch MLB World Series
How to stream UFC live
How to watch Formula 1 online
How to watch NBA games online
How to watch Fox Sports anywhere
How to watch Champions League online
Can you use VPN for MLB TV?
Yes, there are no issues with combining a VPN with MLB TV to avoid blackouts. However, not every VPN service can effectively change your virtual location and ensure a frustration-free streaming experience. That’s why we recommend choosing NordVPN as our most trusted MLB.tv VPN.
Can MLB.TV detect a VPN?
MLB.tv can definitely detect a poorly equipped VPN. Luckily, that is not the case if you choose any of the best VPNs for MLB TV. Advanced VPN services hide their traffic and appear as regular web users, so no streaming service can detect and block their regional content.
Why am I still blacked out on MLB.TV with VPN?
This usually boils down to IP leaks, bad optimizations, or the server already being blocked. The main steps you should take are checking for IP leaks through a 3rd party website, like ipleak.net, and trying a different server. If this doesn’t help, you may need to try a few more solutions.
How do I get around MLB blackouts?
The best way to get around MLB blackouts is with a VPN for MLB.tv. It can redirect your web connection through a server in another US state, allowing you to watch your local team compete as if you were located another state.
Does MLB TV block VPNs?
Yes, MLB TV is trying to block IPs provided by VPNs. If you find yourself in a situation where a VPN connection is not bypassing geo-blocks, try reconnecting to a different server. Our selection of top MLB.tv VPNs have loads of stealthy servers across the United States, so it shouldn’t be a problem!
Does NordVPN work with MLB.tv?
Yes, NordVPN works flawlessly with MLB.tv. In our test, NordVPN could easily bypass blackout restrictions and give you access to local MLB games. You can choose from many servers in various states to get the best streaming experience.
How to watch out-of-market MLB games?
The easiest way to watch out-of-market MLB games is to change your IP address with a VPN. For example, with NordVPN, you can watch Red Sox play in Boston by simply connecting to a server in a different state, such as California.
How to watch Texas Rangers games on MLB.tv?
If you’re in the Texas Rangers territory, you’ll need a trustworthy MLB.tv VPN to avoid blackouts. All you need to do is connect to a server in a different state or city, for example, Dallas. After that, you should be able to see all Rangers matches live on MLB.tv.
How to watch Yankees games live
If you can’t see Yankees games on MLB.tv, it’s probably restricted by blackouts. Therefore, you need a VPN, such as NordVPN, to avoid curbs. All you have to do is connect to a server in a different state/city. For instance, you can join a server in Miami and enjoy all Yankees games trouble-free.