Hulu is a streaming platform created by ABC, NBC, and Fox that hosts a huge variety of high-quality cinema, TV channels, and popular series. Many of them aren’t available elsewhere. Those include Fargo, The Handmaid’s Tale, and Criminal Minds, among others.
Unfortunately, Hulu is available only in the US and Japan. But should you lack access to some of the finest films and TV ever made, just because you happen to live in the wrong part of the world? Of course not.
A good Hulu VPN will give you seamless and unlimited access.
The good news is that you can use a VPN to avoid geo-blocking by Hulu. However, this streaming service has a way stricter protection than that of Netflix. But with the best VPNs for Hulu, the problem disappears.
This article will explore what you need to unblock Hulu from different countries on different devices. We’ll also suggest the top VPNs that are well worth investigating and answer the most common questions about streaming the content of this website.
Top 3 VPN services for Hulu in 2022
These VPNs below are all exceptional, with a good record of unblocking Hulu, so all you have to do is choose one. Here’s our shortlist:
- Best VPN for Hulu9.8
- A VPN for Hulu without a device limit9.7
- Streaming VPN for Hulu and more9.3
How to unblock Hulu with a VPN
- Get a VPN with US or Japan servers. Our top choice is NordVPN, now 72% off
- Install the app and pick a server in the US or Japan
- Connect to the VPN server
- Watch Hulu hassle-free!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Hulu?
For starters, you don’t need a VPN if you are in the US or Japan, the only two countries where Hulu is available. For the rest of the world, a VPN is the best solution because unblocking this streaming platform is not an easy task. While Hulu is less popular than Netflix or Disney+, it’s serious about filtering the traffic.
Because of Hulu’s strong firewall, not every VPN can bypass it, not to mention simple proxies. That’s why you need a provider that has such capabilities. You will find the full list of thoroughly tested Hulu VPNs below.
Even if you live in Japan or the US, there might be times when you’re traveling and still want to catch up with the ongoing shows. Sadly, having an account in the right country doesn’t entitle you to access the Hulu database once you cross the border. Once again, the right VPN can solve this problem for you.
Best VPNs for streaming Hulu that work in 2022
Here are our Top 6 Hulu VPNs that can unblock the service from anywhere. All of them are easy to install and use on different platforms, such as Windows, macOS, Android, and iPhone. Moreover, the best VPNs for Hulu in 2022 protect your privacy and have servers in both the US and Japan.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Hulu
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fastest VPN service
- Top-notch security and privacy
- Excellent for unblocking Hulu
- No app for routers
NordVPN is the #1 choice for Hulu. It’s capable of unblocking the majority of streaming platforms, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and HBO Max, among others. And thanks to the industry’s fastest speeds, you’ll be able to watch Hulu movies and shows in HD or even 4K.
This provider is registered in privacy-friendly Panama and had its no-logs policy independently audited. Moreover, it offers the top security features that no other Hulu VPN can match. We’re talking about AES 256-bit encryption, a powerful kill switch, Tor over VPN, multi-hop, and leak protection.
NordVPN has 5500+ servers in 60+ countries. There are more than 1,900 servers in 15 US cities and over 80 in Japan. Most of the them are RAM-only, which adds protection in case someone decides to break into the data center.
This service is also the best option for P2P. Torrenting is allowed on optimized servers, and downloads don’t take long because of the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. Finally, there are features like a SOCKS5 proxy and split tunneling for Windows and Android.
Despite being the #1 VPN for Hulu, NordVPN is an affordable service. The prices start from $3.29/month only. You might even find a better deal on NordVPN’s coupon page.
Additionally, you get a 7-day free trial (requires Android) plus a 30-day money-back guarantee. One account has a limit of six simultaneous connections, but installing NordVPN on a router can help to add more slots.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – a Hulu VPN without device limit
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Smart DNS technology for smooth streaming
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Easy to use apps
- Logs policy not audited
Surfshark VPN is the ultimate Hulu VPN for those on a budget. It’s cheaper than NordVPN but still offers plenty of features, with its key selling point being unlimited simultaneous connections. This lets you share the same account with others to enjoy their favorite Hulu content.
With this service, you’ll easily unblock Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and many more streaming websites. Thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol, you should experience great speeds that are more than enough for watching in HD or even UHD (4K). While testing Surfshark, we didn’t experience any buffering at all.
Surfshark comes with 3200+ servers in 95+ countries. All of them are RAM-only and more than 600+ are located in 20+ US cities. Additionally, users get to choose from a bunch of Japanese servers.
When it comes to online protection, Surfshark has excellent features, such as military-grade encryption and a kill switch to keep you safe during and beyond streaming. What’s more, they are registered in the Netherlands, a privacy-friendly jurisdiction, which is great if you want to have a true no-logs policy.
As mentioned, Surfshark is one of the most affordable VPNs on the market. The prices start at $2.30/month but you may find even a better deal on Surfshark’s coupons page. You can also exercise a 7-day free trial for mobile devices that works on other platforms too. Last but not least comes the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – excellent for streaming
24/7 live chat
- Excellent for streaming
- Great speeds
- 7-day free trial
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
PrivateVPN has a clean history and a list of amazing features that make it an excellent Hulu VPN. One of them is their dedicated streaming servers, offering an extensive number of content platforms, including Hulu.
This provider comes with 200+ self-owned servers in 63+ countries, including the US and Japan. It’s not much, but PrivateVPN still manages to achieve great speeds.
Moreover, it is known as a reliable provider for unlocking geo-blocked content, which is great news given the sophisticated measures that Hulu uses to fight unauthorized access. You’ll be able to watch Netflix, HBO Max, Peacock, and other streaming platforms. During our tests, we had no problem with HD and sometimes even UHD quality.
PrivateVPN is also great for torrenting. P2P is allowed on all servers, and you can benefit from the SOCKS5 proxy and port forwarding features. The latter is beneficial when you can’t seed due to your gateway settings or if you want to increase downloading speeds.
Security and privacy are also important for PrivateVPN. Therefore, it has a no-logs policy and uses bank-grade encryption. There’s also a robust kill switch, protection against leaks, and a Stealth VPN for maximum protection.
PrivateVPN prices start from $2.00/month but you might find a better deal on the coupons page. You get six simultaneous connections, although the limit can be expanded by installing the service on a router. There’s also a 7-day free trial plus a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you’re not sure you’ll like the service.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. VyprVPN – the cheapest VPN for Hulu
24/7 live chat
- Good speeds
- Excellent security
- Unblocks multiple streaming options
- No way to pay anonymously
VyprVPN is a reliable service for Hulu, with security and privacy at its focus. At the same time, it allows P2P, unblocks a number of streaming platforms, and provides good speeds no matter where you reside.
Based in Switzerland, VyprVPN has an audited no-logs policy. Then comes the NASA-grade encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection. Finally, the in-house Chameleon protocol is great against firewalls, even those used in China.
Speaking about streaming, VyprVPN unblocks Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and many more content platforms. We were able to watch in crisp HD with minimal buffering. Of course, if you have a good internet connection, the video quality can be even better.
With the WireGuard protocol and 700+ self-owned servers in 70+ countries (8 cities in the US and 1 in Japan), VyprVPN has a solid performance and connection stability.
VyprVPN allows P2P on all servers. There’s also split tunneling for Android and Mac, which is great if you want to decide which apps will use the encrypted tunnel and which will stay on the regular connection. However, it’d be great if VyprVPN finally added port forwarding or a SOCKS5 proxy.
This Hulu VPN costs $8.33/month and has a 5 device limit, which can be expanded with a router app. Chances are, you’ll also find a better deal on our coupons page. Sadly, VyprVPN doesn’t have a free trial, but you can still benefit from the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of VyprVPN, read our VyprVPN review.
5. IPVanish – a Hulu VPN with physical servers
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Fast speeds
- Top-notch security & privacy
- Self-owns its bare-metal servers
- No anonymous payments
IPVanish is a great option for Hulu and everyone who wants to stay safe online. At the same time, this VPN is capable of torrenting and supporting multiple devices.
To start with, IPVanish is known for its security and privacy features. These include AES 256-bit encryption, a reliable kill switch, and solid protection against DNS and IP leaks. Moreover, this provider has a strict no-logs policy, a Stealth VPN, and secure cloud storage.
IPVanish is fast enough for HD streaming and torrenting due to the WireGuard tunneling protocol. It unblocks both Hulu and Netflix while also allowing P2P on every server. Additionally, you can use split tunneling or SOCKS5 proxy settings to decide which apps will use and which ones will circumvent the encrypted VPN tunnel.
This provider manages 2000+ servers in 50+ countries. More than 1,100 of those are spread across 20 US locations, while over 20 wait for you in Tokyo, Japan. You should also take note that IPVanish owns their whole bare-metal server network.
IPVanish prices start at $3.99/month but you might find discounts on the coupon page. We especially liked that there’s no device limit per account. Even though IPVanish doesn’t offer a free trial, you can still use the 30-day money-back guarantee to test the waters risk-free.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
6. PIA – Hulu VPN with the biggest server fleet
Live chat, email
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Good security credentials
- Decent speeds
- Based in the US
Last but not least, on our list of best VPNs for Hulu is Private Internet Access (PIA). Its focus is on the US, which means many servers for unblocking this streaming platform. As a matter of fact, it has plenty of them for everything – no other VPN comes close to PIA when comparing server fleets.
Even though PIA is registered in the US, a founding member of the Five Eyes intelligence alliance, it boasts a court-proven no-logs policy. What’s more, you get military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and a robust malware blocker.
However, your streaming options will be limited with Private Internet Access. It allows you to watch Hulu and Netflix US, but other content websites might or might not work. At least the speeds are good enough for streaming in HD.
PIA has the most servers – more than 29300 in over 84 countries. These numbers should change soon, though, as they’re moving towards using bare-metal servers only. Despite that, you will still have decent speeds and plenty of options in the US and Japan.
This VPN can protect your P2P activities as well. You can torrent on every server, and finding one close by shouldn’t be an issue. Moreover, PIA offers split tunneling, port forwarding, and a SOCKS5 proxy, a great trio of P2P-oriented yet universal features.
The best PIA price is $2.03/month. However, you might find even a better offer on our coupon page. One account gets you 10 devices, although the limit can be lifted by using a router. Free trial is unavailable, but there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee for proper testing.
For a deeper investigation of Private Internet Access, read our Private Internet Access review.
The best feature of each Hulu VPN
Best VPN for Hulu video review
How to pick the best Hulu VPN in 2022?
Obviously, you should choose a VPN provider that unblocks Hulu and probably other streaming services unavailable in your region. But there’s much more to that. Therefore, you should also have in mind the other important VPN features, such as privacy and security, as you’ll be paying for them one way or another.
To help you out, we listed the following criteria that are crucial when choosing a VPN for Hulu.
- Privacy. A good Hulu VPN must at least have a no-logs policy, protection against leaks, and a kill switch, among other features. Furthermore, it should be registered in a privacy-friendly country without data retention laws.
- Security. Don’t settle for anything less than bank-grade encryption. When it comes to tunneling protocols, look for WireGuard, OpenVPN, or IKEv2. Having all three is the best in case a VPN has issues with one of them.
- Speed. It’s vital for streaming Hulu without buffering in HD or 4K. Of course, performance is also important for torrenting, browsing, and gaming. See our speed test results for more info.
- Servers. A top VPN for Hulu should have servers in the US or Japan, depending on your location. Bare-metal ones always perform better than the virtual servers, while self-owned and RAM-only options add security.
- P2P. Torrenting should be allowed on all or most servers. Furthermore, split tunneling, SOCKS5 proxy, and port forwarding will give you extra options for handling the traffic.
- Streaming. Top Hulu VPNs should unblock at least a few Netflix libraries. The same applies to other streaming platforms, i.e., Disney+.
- Cost. The best VPN deal shouldn’t be more than $4.00 per month. At the same time, it’s important to check if you can’t get a better service for a better price.
- Customer service. Don’t settle for anything less than a 24/7 live chat. In case you can’t unblock Hulu with your VPN, starting a week-long email thread isn’t the best option to solve the issue.
How to watch Hulu outside the US and Japan?
If you find yourself outside Japan or the US, watching Hulu will require taking some extra steps. First, you’ll need to pay with a local credit card or PayPal account (more on this later). Luckily, this doesn’t apply to the Japanese Hulu.
Then, you’ll need a reliable VPN to mock your location, avoiding geo-blocking. Alternatively, you can watch some of the Hulu content on other streaming websites and local channels, as it’s often the case. Without further ado, here are your options if you live in the following countries.
Is Hulu available in Canada?
Unfortunately, Hulu doesn’t have the rights to stream in Canada. It means that we won’t be seeing an expansion to the north anytime soon. However, you can still use a VPN to unblock Hulu in Canada, just like in any other country. We recommend Surfshark, now 82% off.
There’s also an option to watch some of the shows on other streaming platforms. For instance, Love, Victor, Cake, Helstrom, and Solar Opposites are up for grabs on Star, launched by Disney+.
Moreover, Amazon Prime Video clients can enjoy Little Fires Everywhere and The Great. There’s also some interesting content on CBC Gem, Crave, FX Canada, and Starz Canada.
Can I watch Hulu in the UK?
Hulu isn’t available in the UK. However, that doesn’t mean you have to pack your things and move to the US. A VPN is a way cheaper investment, giving you full access to the Hulu library. We suggest choosing Surfshark with a 82% discount.
The Brits are a bit luckier than the Canadians because all four seasons of The Handmaid’s Tale are on All 4 and Amazon Prime Video. You can also find Victor, Love, and more interesting content on the UK’s Disney+ platform.
How to watch Hulu in Australia
Sadly, there aren’t many local broadcasters that would offer some of Hulu’s content in Australia. Therefore, your other options are Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video, basically. However, you might still need a VPN to connect to another country as the libraries tend to differ because of distribution rights.
And if you’ve decided to get Hulu from the US or Japan, a solid VPN is a must. We recommend choosing only from our list above because there’s no guarantee that other provides will work with this streaming platform. Our top choice is NordVPN, available with a 68% discount.
Is Hulu available in India?
Hulu isn’t available in India, and it seems it won’t be for the foreseeable future. That’s because Hulu belongs to Disney+, which has decided to move some of the content to India’s Hotstar. You can watch old series like X-Files, but Hulu Originals will stay beyond reach.
This means that you need a VPN to stream The Handmaid’s Tale or Veronica Mars. Our go-to choice is NordVPN, now 68% off. Also, you should think about getting a US credit card to pay for the service. We have the whole process described in detail below.
How can I pay for Hulu from abroad?
The easiest way to pay for Hulu is to have the US or Japanese credit card. A local PayPal account should also do the trick. But for the rest of us, some other way is needed.
Luckily, there are at least three options to pay for Hulu outside the US and Japan.
1. American PayPal account
As mentioned earlier, Hulu requires a PayPal account from the US. However, the actual credit card linked with it can be from anywhere. You’ll also need a VPN for this method to work.
To create a PayPal account for Hulu:
- Get a VPN for Hulu. We recommend NordVPN that comes with a 68% discount.
- Connect to a server in the US or Japan.
- Visit PayPal and create a new account.
- Add your fake US address and phone number.
- Enter your credit card information.
- For a street address, add your real one associated with the credit card.
- For city, state, and zip code, use your fake US address. A zip code will be the three numbers from your postal code with “01” at the end. Add the city and the state according to it.
- Submit the form and start using your new US PayPal account!
2. StatesCard account
This method is a bit easier because StatesCard generates you a valid virtual US credit card without the need to create a fake account. However, there’s a small chance that your Hulu payment will be rejected. Yet you can still try the other two options described in this section, especially if you want a Japanese account.
To pay for Hulu with a StatesCard:
- Create a StatesCard account and add enough funds to pay the Hulu subscription.
- Get a reliable Hulu VPN. We suggest NordVPN, now 68% off.
- Go to the Hulu website and click on Start Your Free Trial.
- Select a plan and add your personal information.
- Back on StatesCard.com, check the details of your US card, including the billing address.
- Back on Hulu.com, choose to pay with a credit card and enter the StatesCard details.
- Submit the form and start watching Hulu movies and shows right away!
3. MyGiftCardSupply account
This method is great because you don’t have to create any US credit cards to buy a Hulu subscription. Instead, you buy a legit gift card and redeem it when buying the streaming platform subscription. MyGiftCardSupply is a trusted service, so this method should work just fine.
To get Hulu with the MyGiftCardSupply account:
- Choose a VPN server in the US and connect. If you don’t have a VPN, try NordVPN’s 7-day free trial.
- Visit MyGiftCardSupply, click Shop, and then Hulu cards.
- Choose between the $25 and $50 gift cards. Alternatively, you can set up recurring payments each month for up to four months.
- In Checkout, provide a valid email address for the gift card and a phone number for verification.
- Pay with either a credit card or PayPal.
- Wait for an email from MyGiftCardSupply and click the link to get a voucher code.
- Log out from your Hulu account. Then, clear your browser’s cache and cookies.
- Go to Hulu’s redeem page and enter your voucher code.
- Create your Hulu account by adding a legit US zip code.
- Start streaming The Handmaid’s Tale and other great content!
How to watch Hulu with a VPN on your device
Unsurprisingly, the devices that are compatible with a Hulu + VPN combo depend on whether they work with both Hulu and your VPN. While you can always change the latter, there’s nothing you can do if the streaming platform doesn’t work with your smart TV.
Here are the platforms that the most recent Hulu app supports at the time of writing this guide. Don’t forget that the Classic Hulu app works on many older devices. The compatibility also depends on other factors, such as the exact model, generation, or firmware updates.
- Desktop (Windows, macOS)
- Mobile (Android, iOS)
- Android TV (Sony Bravia, Nvidia Shield, Hisense, Xiaomi, Chromecast + Google TV)
- Apple TV (4th generation and newer)
- Echo Show
- Amazon Fire Tablets (Fire OS 5+)
- Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick
- Smart TVs (LG TV, Samsung TV, VIZIO SmartCast)
- Game consoles (PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch)
- Roku (firmware 8.1+)
- Xfinity TV boxes
Basically, this covers most devices that your VPN can support. Below are detailed instructions on how to stream Hulu on the most popular devices.
How to stream Hulu on Amazon Fire TV Stick with a VPN
To stream Hulu on your Amazon Fire from anywhere, follow the following steps:
- Get the best VPN for Hulu. Our recommendation is NordVPN, now 68% off.
- Install NordVPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Connect to a server in the US or Japan.
- Launch Hulu and start streaming!
According to the Hulu website, all generations of Amazon Fire devices should work with the updated Hulu app.
Watching Hulu on smart TVs with a VPN
This streaming platform works with multiple smart TV makes and models. However, most VPNs have limited support for anything not named Android TV. For Apple, Nvidia Shield, and other brands to work, you’ll probably have to install the VPN on a router.
Alternatively, you can use the SmartDNS feature. Contrary to a regular VPN connection, it doesn’t provide encryption but still gives you access to geo-blocked resources, such as Hulu.
Here’s the step-by-step guide:
- Get a Hulu VPN app for your Android TV. If you have a different device, make sure the VPN supports it or comes with SmartDNS. Our #1 option is NordVPN, now 68% off.
- Connect to a VPN server in Japan or the US.
- Launch the Hulu app on your smart TV.
- Start watching The Handmaid’s Tale!
By the way, using a Classic Hulu app gives you support for Apple TV (3rd gen), LG TVs (with webOS 3.5+), Samsung TVs (made in 2013–2015), Sony TVs (models with internet from 2012–2014 and Android TV models from 2015–2018), and VIZIO (with V.I.A. Plus).
How to watch Hulu with a VPN on PlayStation and other game consoles
Hulu supports all the latest game consoles, including PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. Older models like PS4, PS3, Xbox One, or Xbox 360 also work with the latest Hulu app. But what about VPNs?
VPN providers don’t have apps for PlayStation and other consoles, but there are still several options for watching Hulu and avoiding DDoS attacks when playing online. One is connecting to a mobile hotspot created on your desktop device.
The other is installing your VPN on a router and getting the same type of protection. However, if you only want to stream Hulu, using SmartDNS will work just fine. While not offering encryption, this feature is great against geo-blocking.
To set up a VPN for Hulu on your game console:
- Get a VPN, preferably with the SmartDNS feature. At the moment, NordVPN is the top choice, available with a 68% discount.
- Install it on your desktop device and share the connection with your game console. Alternatively, set up the VPN on a router, or use SmartDNS.
- Connect to a server in the US or Japan.
- Log in to Hulu on PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch.
- Start streaming like there’s no tomorrow!
We personally like the SmartDNS method the most since there’s no encryption, which impacts performance. As a result, there’s a better chance of streaming in 4K (UHD) seamlessly.
Streaming Hulu with a VPN on Chromecast
Hulu supports plenty of casting options. You can do that from your iOS or Android device, Hulu.com website, Vizio Smartcast TVs, and Android TVs with a built-in Chromecast. But when it comes to unblocking, VPNs also have a few options to offer.
For starters, the best way of watching Hulu with a VPN on Chromecast is by downloading the app from the Google App Store. However, this works only if you own a Google TV. The other two options have already been mentioned above.
To stream Hulu on Chromecast from anywhere:
- Get a solid VPN that supports Chromecast. Try NordVPN, now 68% off because it supports the Google TV method.
- Install the app on your Google TV. Other options include creating a hotspot for your TV or installing the VPN on a router.
- Connect to a server in the US or Japan.
- Launch your Hulu app and start casting to your device!
Note that these methods can help you avoid bandwidth throttling, which always results in improved speeds. Furthermore, your connection will be fully encrypted using a military-grade cipher.
Avoid using these VPN services for Hulu
As you’ve already seen in the section above, even the top Hulu VPNs cannot offer 100% compatibility with the streaming platform and its supported devices. However, there are quite a few providers that should be avoided at all costs.
The main reason is that most VPNs can’t unblock Netflix, not to mention Hulu, which is way better at blocking traffic coming from anywhere but Japan and the US. Don’t be surprised if they advertise their streaming capabilities – once you buy one, you get to see the real picture.
Here is the list of VPNs that don’t unblock Hulu. Unfortunately, you will see quite a few well-known services that might be decent for hiding IP addresses but a poor choice for streaming.
Instead, get the best Hulu VPN that works in 2022 from the list above.
How to watch Hulu with a VPN for free?
There’s no legal way to watch Hulu outside the US and Japan. Therefore, the only part where you can save is on a VPN. However, we discourage you from choosing a free service.
First off, free VPNs have fewer servers, resulting in poor speeds. This becomes obvious when you try connecting from a location that’s far away from the closest server. What’s more, free VPNs usually don’t have the WireGuard tunneling protocol, which significantly boosts the performance.
Secondly, free VPNs offer servers in only several countries. One of them is usually in the US, with Japan appearing sporadically. So if there’s no option in the latter country, you’ll have to choose the former, which usually means longer distances, higher latency, and slower speeds.
Furthermore, such VPNs are bad for streaming Hulu and other platforms. Even if it manages to unlock one, don’t be surprised it’s no longer available next time. And as we mentioned earlier, Hulu is harder to unblock than Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
Finally, free VPNs can be dangerous themselves. Most of them log your data and sell it to third parties, sometimes while showing annoying ads. Others might even inject your device with malware.
Having said that, here are some free VPNs for Hulu that might get the job done in 2022:
- NordVPN – 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Surfshark – 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- PrivateVPN – 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- CyberGhost – 24-hour free trial with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Hide.me VPN – free version with a 10 GB/month data limit
- Windscribe – free version with a 10 GB/month data limit
You can also try other top free VPNs to see if they work with Hulu.
Hulu doesn’t work with a VPN?
There are a number of reasons why you can’t unblock Hulu with your VPN. Most of them can be solved by following these guidelines, while others require contacting customer support. Luckily, the best VPNs for Hulu have a 24/7 live chat, which makes troubleshooting easy.
How to solve Hulu home location error
After you sign up for Hulu, it will ask you to set up your home location within one month. Afterward, it can be changed only four times a year. This is for limiting the number of devices shared per account.
Therefore, once you have a home location, your in-laws living on the next street won’t be able to add their Samsung TV, seeing a message:
“Your Hulu subscription allows you to use this type of device only on your home network. If you have moved or your internet service provider has changed, please update your Home Location in your Hulu Account settings on a computer.”
Unfortunately, the same can happen to you as well. This might be due to using a non-compatible VPN or failing to check in on your phone. Also, your VPN uses a different IP every time it connects, so getting a dedicated IP address can solve the problem.
In any case, first, you can try fixing the Hulu home location error by following these steps:
- Log out of Hulu
- Log back in with a streaming device that’s not a computer nor a smartphone.
- Open Hulu page account on your desktop or mobile device, not used in Step 2.
- Go to Privacy and Settings
- Set your new home network
As long as you’re using Hulu back at home, you shouldn’t encounter the home network error anymore.
Hulu proxy error: disabling IPv6
The chances are that you’ll get the Hulu proxy error one day, which means it detected that you’re using a VPN. Most of the time, your IPv6 address is the cause. Since VPNs usually don’t hide it, disabling IPv6 is the best option.
Disabling IPv6 on Windows:
- Disconnect your VPN and close the app
- Press Windows key + R
- In the command prompt, write ncpa.cpl and hit Enter
- In Network Connections, find your connection and right-click for Properties
- Uncheck the box Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
- Click OK and close the window
- Open Command Prompt (Admin) with Windows key + R. Press Yes.
- In the Command Prompt, enter ipconfig /flushdns
- Connect to a VPN server in the US or Japan
- Open or refresh the Hulu page and start streaming again!
Disabling IPv6 on macOS:
- Disconnect your VPN and close the app
- Click the Apple logo on the top left
- Click System Preferences and navigate to Network -> AirPort -> Advanced -> TCP/IP
- Open Configure IPv6 and choose Off
- Click OK and Apply
- Connect to a VPN server in the US or Japan
- Open or refresh the Hulu page and start streaming like you used to!
Hulu won’t let me log in
Once again, there are quite a few reasons why you can’t log in to Hulu, even though you have the latest app and an active account with a valid payment option. Here are some of the most popular ones and ways to solve the issue:
- Check if your email and password are correct. While that sounds dumb, it often leads you back to Hulu
- VPN connection. Are you using one of our recommended providers? If yes, are you connected to a server in the US or Japan?
- Home network. Make sure you have it set and check in every month. Also, don’t forget you can’t change the home network more than four times each year.
- Location services. Check if they are enabled on your browser or device.
- Cache and cookies. Clear them out and try again.
Best shows and movies available on Hulu in 2022
If you still have doubts about the Hulu content quality, check out the best movies and shows available now. Each title is listed according to its IMDb score and a bit on our personal preferences at the time of writing this article.
Top Hulu shows
- Fargo (2014) – 8.9/10 IMDb
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia – 8.8/10 IMDb
- Twin Peaks (1990) – 8.8/10 IMDb
- Seinfield (1989) – 8.8/10 IMDb
- Atlanta (2016) – 8.6/10 IMDb
- Parks and Recreation (2016) – 8.6/10 IMDb
- The X-Files (1993) – 8.6/10 IMDb
- Only Murders in The Building (2021) – 8.5/10 IMDb
- What We Do in The Shadows (2019) – 8.5/10 IMDb
- The Handmaid’s Tale (2017) – 8.4/10 IMDb
- 30 Rock (2006) – 8.2/10 IMDb
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer (1997) – 8.2/10 IMDb
- Reservation Dogs (2021) – 8.1/10 IMDb
- PEN15 (2019) – 8.0/10 IMDb
- Mrs. America (2020) – 7.9/10 IMDb
- Better Things (2016) – 7.8/10 IMDb
Top Hulu movies
- Parasite (2019) – 8.6/10 IMDb
- Summer of Soul (2021) – 8.2/10 IMDb
- The Act of Killing (2012) – 8.2/10 IMDb
- 12 Years a Slave (2013) – 8.1/10 IMDb
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1960) – 8.0/10 IMDb
- I Am Not Your Negro (2016) – 7.9/10 IMDb
- Gattaca (1997) – 7.8/10 IMDb
- Another Round (2020) – 7.8/10 IMDb
- Nomadland (2020) – 7.4/10 IMDb
As we tried to make this clear in our guide, Hulu isn’t coming to your country anytime soon. You’re lucky if you live in the US or Japan, but if not, there are still ways to watch this streaming service. All it takes is to get a reliable VPN for Hulu and access it from any part of the world.
While there are free services that might work, we still recommend a premium option due to its reliability and quality. Moreover, you can try all VPNs on our “best for Hulu” list risk-free. Their qualities go beyond streaming, giving you safe torrenting, DDoS-free gaming, and unparalleled online protection.
Have you tried any of our Hulu VPNs before? Did they work for you? We’d be happy if you let us know by leaving a comment below.
You may also like to read:
Is it legal to use Hulu with a VPN?
In most countries worldwide, using a VPN is completely legal. Hulu doesn’t mention that you cannot use it. However, on the Support page, they warn that you are likely to fail when trying to access Hulu with the help of a VPN.
How does Hulu know I'm using a VPN?
Hulu has a sophisticated geo-blocking tool, more powerful than the one Netflix uses. It blocks the IPs used by most VPNs, and if they see that you’re constantly using different IPs, they will block you too. Therefore, a good option is to get a dedicated IP address – top Hulu VPNs offer this feature.
Will a VPN stop Hulu ads?
It might, depending on whether it has an ad blocker. VPNs like NordVPN, Surfshark, PIA, or VyprVPN do have one but the best idea would be to test them by yourself.
Alternatively, you can try using two tabs but it still means switching between them to avoid ads. Another option is Web Filtering on your router by adding ads-e-darwin.hulustream.com to the block list. Finally, you can find dedicated apps, such as Blokada on Android or Huu for Hulu on iOS.
Can I use Hulu with NordVPN?
Absolutely. NordVPN is our #1 choice for unblocking Hulu from anywhere. It’s extremely fast, has a humongous server fleet, and will also help you stay private online.
Julie is a firm believer in equal rights for everyone. She is a traveler and blogger, focusing her efforts on exposing censorship and discrimination around the world. She wants to hold corrupt governments and shady companies accountable by writing investigative articles and helpful guides.