YouTube is one of the most popular video hosting websites worldwide, housing content in hundreds of millions of hours and still counting. However, apart from geo-blocking content in certain regions, YouTube is also outright banned in specific countries, like Iran or Turkmenistan.
Luckily, the best VPN for Youtube can be your key to all these locks. A good provider will slash through even the strictest firewalls (we’re looking at you, China) and geographical restrictions. Moreover, you won’t have to worry about Google collecting ridiculous amounts of data on you through hidden trackers.
All of that is possible with our hand-picked top 5 VPNs for YouTube.
Top VPN for YouTube: shortlist
- The best VPN for YouTube9.6
- YouTube VPN with cutting-edge tech9.4
- Best free version VPN for YouTube9.1
- Streaming-friendly YouTube VPN8.9
- VPN for YouTube with an enormous server fleet8.4
How to choose a VPN for YouTube?
Finding the ultimate VPN for YouTube combo can be a real puzzle, as it all boils down to your unique preferences and situation. Whether you seek to fortify your online defenses, outmaneuver unexpected geo-restrictions, or get YouTube unblocked in countries where it’s banned, many factors come into play. With that in mind, a top-drawer YouTube VPN should offer:
- Strong unlocking capabilities. Even if you don’t live in a country where YouTube is banned, you may find numerous videos only available in certain regions. Sometimes it’s licensing or local laws, sometimes it’s the creators themselves limiting access to the content. As such, you should look for a service that can consistently bypass geo-blocking.
- Vast server selection. The almighty Youtube algorithm is known to serve viewers more content from their actual region. An extensive server fleet can help you explore more videos or creators beyond your standard vicinity.
- Data protection. Given Google’s aggressive data collection practices, prioritize a secure VPN that encrypts your browsing data to protect your privacy effectively. The security package must include top-class encryption, leak protection, and a steadfast kill switch.
- Anonymity. No one should know about your obsession with “mukbang” videos. Therefore, check if the VPN is based outside Five Eyes alliance countries and has a strict no-log policy.
- Affordability. You don’t have to pay a fortune for a good VPN service. A proper subscription shouldn’t cost as much as $4/month on a long-term subscription.
Best VPNs for Youtube: detailed overview
- NordVPN – the best overall VPN for YouTube
- Surfshark – VPN for YouTube with loads of features
- Atlas VPN – YouTube VPN with a free version
- ExpressVPN – security-focused VPN for YouTube
- CyberGhost – YouTube VPN with an enormous server fleet
Discovering the perfect VPN for YouTube amidst the plethora of options can prove challenging and time-consuming. However, we’ve got our hands dirty so you don’t have to and tested the 26 most popular VPN services. Our assessments considered many crucial factors, such as high speeds for streaming, YouTube ad blocking, and secure privacy features. Here’s our final list:
1. NordVPN – the top VPN for YouTube
24/7 live chat, Email
- Fastest connections
- Integrated ad blocker
- SmartPlay feature
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
The king of the list is NordVPN. Apart from being the best YouTube VPN for circumventing geographical blocks, this provider offers many other nifty features.
With NordVPN, you’ll be able to watch YouTube content globally, as it offers 5800+ servers across 60+ countries. On top of that, you can enjoy videos in the highest quality possible thanks to the proprietary, cutting-edge NordLynx protocol. And if you get tired of YouTube, NordVPN unlocks other streaming platforms on devices that don’t even support VPNs with the help of the SmartDNS feature.
Apart from that, the provider’s Threat Protection offers astonishing security against trackers and consistently blocks any mid-roll ads. Additionally, Obfuscated Servers will remove any VPN traces and help you reach YouTube even in the most restrictive countries. Lastly, NordVPN has an independently audited strict no-logs policy and is based in the privacy-respecting jurisdiction of Panama. Therefore, your browsing activity basically disappears into thin air.
Snatch a NordVPN coupon and up your YouTube game today with a 68% discount. Should you change your mind, rest assured with a 30-day money-return guarantee. For a quick sneak peek into full NordVPN offerings, grab a free 7-day trial accessible via the Google Play Store, and continue on any supported platform.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – feature-packed YouTube VPN
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- No device limit
- Smart DNS feature
- RAM-only servers
- Bonus features cost extra
There’s no fishy business when it comes to Surfshark. It’s a solid YouTube VPN choice with infinite connections, groundbreaking speed, and security features.
Surfshark pierces through geo-restrictions with ease in 100+ countries with 3200+ RAM-only servers. Buffering is out of the question due to the WireGuard protocol ensuring wicked connection speeds, which will easily handle even 4K videos. Not to mention, the SmartDNS feature will help you access region-locked content on devices that don’t typically support VPN connections.
To keep the nosiest snoopers away, the MultiHop feature doubly encrypts your whole internet traffic for maximum security. Additionally, CleanWeb lets you surf in an unpolluted cyber ocean with no trackers, malware, and phishing attempts. The cherry on top is that it will also eliminate YouTube ads on both mobile app and browser versions of the platform.
See if you dig Surfshark VPN with a 7-day trial or longer with a 30-day cash-return guarantee. If it rocks your boat, snatch a long-term subscription, now 83% off if you don’t forget to check out any of the latest Surfshark deals.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – best free version VPN for YouTube
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Sublime free version
- Unblocks YouTube and other platforms
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- No router support
If saving money and staying secure means the world to you – get Atlas VPN. It’s a top-notch VPN for YouTube that has an excellent free version. As a matter of fact, it’s the best free YouTube VPN out there, period.
The free plan is enough to keep you hidden and safe from harm’s way, but it does, however, come with a few curbs. For instance, you’ll get a 5 GB/month data cap, 3 server locations in the US and the Netherlands, and one connection per account. In addition, the free version can’t bypass geo-blocks, so exploring restriction-free YouTube will be nothing but impossible.
Nevertheless, you won’t run into any such problems with Atlas VPN premium offerings. Here you’ll find 1000+ servers in 42+ countries, and breezing through those geo-restrictions will be easy as pie. Moreover, the WireGuard protocol ensures smooth connectivity, so you can watch YouTube videos and live streams without any quality drops. Furthermore, Tracker Blocker will shield you from any uninvited trackers or infuriating ads.
Explore the digital world with the premium version of Atlas VPN and level up your YouTube experience today. For a full-fledged experience, unlock the exclusive Atlas VPN coupons, granting you a fantastic 85% discount on your next subscription. Should you find yourself unsatisfied, there’s a safety net with a 30-day money-back guarantee, ensuring you can make a smooth departure if necessary.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – streaming-friendly VPN for YouTube
24/7 live chat, email
- Stable connectivity
- Powerful security
- Extremely versatile
- A bit pricey
When it comes to the best YouTube VPNs, ExpressVPN falls in as an exceptional choice, showing off great consistency and reliability. This esteemed performance comes with its proprietary Lightway tunneling protocol, guaranteeing swift and stable connection speeds. With a vast server network spanning over 94 countries and utilizing RAM-only servers, ExpressVPN also effortlessly grants access to geo-restricted services, including the titular one.
Security is paramount with ExpressVPN, featuring essential tools like a reliable kill switch, stealth VPN, and robust AES-256 encryption. Unfortunately, the integrated ad and malware blocker Threat Manager is only available to the iOS, Mac, and Linux clients. Nevertheless, operating from the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands jurisdiction, ExpressVPN’s independently-audited no-logs policy ensures every user’s online activities remain confidential.
Moreover, ExpressVPN’s broad compatibility extends to all major platforms, with even a specialized applet for easy and convenient router setup. This ingenious approach effectively bypasses the base limit of 5 simultaneous connections, amplifying its benefits for all your devices throughout the whole household.
Being on the pricier side, ExpressVPN can still be an excellent deal, especially with the 49% discount available using a viable ExpressVPN code. Try it risk-free with a complimentary month-long money-back guarantee, providing ample time to experience its exceptional performance.
For a deeper investigation of ExpressVPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – YouTube VPN with expansive server fleet
24/7 live chat
- Biggest network selection
- 45-day money-back warranty
- No RAM-only servers
For a cost-effective YouTube VPN with solid performance, look no further than CyberGhost. Despite its low price, CyberGhost controls one of the biggest VPN networks ou there, comprising 9360+ servers in over 100 countries. Due you can smoothly access not only Sportsbet but also various other gambling platforms.
The use of the popular WireGuard protocol is a key factor behind CyberGhost’s outstanding speeds. This proves to be particularly beneficial with network-heavy tasks, like watching your favorite content on the go. And if YouTube’s not enough for you, dedicated streaming servers effortlessly unlock a plethora of other world-renowned streaming services.
When it comes to privacy features, CyberGhost doesn’t disappoint in the slightest. On top of strong 256-bit encryption and a kill switch, it includes a free ad blocker and its own fully-managed NoSpy servers. Moreover, with a single plan, you can simultaneously connect up to 7 devices, ensuring you can enjoy unlimited YouTube on all your devices.
CyberGhost is an excellent and affordable VPN for YouTube, especially considering the current offer of 84% sale with your starting subscription. Head over to the CyberGhost coupon page to grab this amazing deal for yourself. And should you find the service not to your satisfaction, remember you have a generous 45-day money-return guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
Best YouTube VPNs comparison
|Servers||5800+ in 60+ countries||3200+ in 100+ countries||1000+ in 42+ countries||Servers in 94+ countries||9360+ in 100+ countries|
|Avg. speed||648 Mbps||614 Mbps||N/A||248 Mbps||0 Mbps|
|Streaming||Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and more||Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Sky Sports, Disney+, Netflix, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Disney+ and more||Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Crunchyroll, Hulu, and more||Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and more|
|Log policy||No logs, independently audited thrice by PwC and Deloitte||No logs, independently audited by Deloitte||No logs||Court-proven, independently audited no-logs policy||No logs, independently audited by Deloitte|
Climbing to the pinnacle of our list, NordVPN takes the crown as our top pick for any daily YouTubing needs. Its remarkable speeds and vast global network of servers turn circumventing any geo-restrictions into a mere breeze. Additionally, NordVPN’s state-of-the-art security features and rock-solid privacy practices keep Google’s data collection machine at bay.
How we tested the best VPNs for YouTube
With the VPN market saturated with a myriad of options, it can be challenging to determine the best fit for your specific needs. To address this, we conducted thorough testing and compiled our list of top YouTube VPNs that meet the following criteria:
- Unblocking restricted content. Our selected VPNs have demonstrated the all necessary capability to bypass YouTube’s geo-restrictions effectively. This includes accessing geo-blocked content and overcoming platform restrictions.
- Ad blocking. Many of the VPNs we included offer ad-blocking tools. Through extensive testing on various devices, we assessed their ability to block YouTube ads in particular.
- Security. Each VPN in our rankings ensures top-notch security with unbreakable AES encryption and a kill switch. We paid extra attention to every provider’s logging policies and their dedication to user privacy.
- Optimal speed. Connection speed is of utmost importance for a satisfactory video-watching experience, so for this list, we chose only the fastest VPNs. Fast and reliable connections are essential for uninterrupted streaming.
- Value. We believe that VPNs should provide excellent services without being excessively overpriced. Hence, we selected services that offer the best value for your money.
Don’t let your data become Google’s currency. Arm yourself with the most powerful VPN to date and explore any YouTube content worldwide with unlimited access and maximum privacy. Start risk-free today with a 30-day money-return warranty.
Why do you need a VPN for Youtube?
While the majority of content on YouTube is open to anyone, there are a few exceptions. The most common reason is that some videos are only available in selected regions due to licensing rights or censorship. Also, it might be because the video owners place restrictions themselves.
Be careful if you love watching cat videos during work hours or school time. Some administrators block YouTube to prevent students and employees from slacking. Which, in our opinion, is totally not fair!
Lastly, several governments completely block YouTube. It might be due to political, religious, or moral reasons. For example, in countries like China, North Korea, Turkmenistan, or Iran, you’ll need a hardcore VPN to bypass firewalls and geo-restrictions.
Fortunately, you’ll have no problems hiding your IP address and watching whatever your heart desires with a top-of-the-line streaming VPN. Additionally, a provider can protect you from any online dangers and stop bandwidth throttling caused by your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
How to use a VPN for Youtube?
Unlocking YouTube from any location or eliminating pesky ads from the platform becomes a breeze with the help of a VPN. Don’t worry, this doesn’t require any technical how-to and can be done in mere minutes. Here’s an easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide to get it done real quick and clean:
- Get the best VPN for YouTube. Our #1 trusted service is NordVPN, now 68% off
- Download and Install the VPN on the device of your choice.
- Make sure extra features, such as leak protections or ad blockers, are turned on.
- Connect to a server, for example, in the US
- Enjoy YouTube with no limits!
VPN not working with Youtube: solution
Using a VPN is by far the easiest way to avoid geographical restrictions. While it’s unlikely that you’ll run into any problems with the top 5 YouTube VPNs mentioned before, it’s good to know some ways to solve the issues. Here are a few quick fixes:
- Reconnect. This is the first step you should take. Simply try connecting to another server in the country of your choice. The IP address of the server you’re connected to could be banned by Google, so a quick reconnect should solve it in a flash.
- Delete browser cookies. By following the crumbs of info, YouTube can figure out your actual location and whether you are using a VPN. Thus, getting rid of cookies might solve your issue in just a few clicks.
- Check for IP leaks. On the odd occasion, a VPN can leak your actual IP address, preventing you from enjoying geo-blocked content on YouTube. For that reason, make sure that your kill switch and leak protection are on.
- Get in touch with the provider’s customer service. If you can’t solve it yourself, let the pros take care of it. A good provider will offer 24/7 live chat support so that you don’t have to wait excessively long.
Should you get Youtube Premium VPN
If you hate endless ads, you probably thought about getting a Youtube Premium. It’s an exceptional subscription for avid YouTubers who want an ad-free experience and access to YouTube Originals. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford it. That’s because YouTube prices its premium service by location, and the costs vary from downright dirt-cheap to super expensive.
The best way to get Youtube Premium cheaper is to get a VPN and virtually travel to a country where the subscription costs pennies. For example, India is one of the best destinations for getting a Premium as the subscription costs only $1.57. So, how do you do that with a VPN? Here’s a quick tutorial:
- Create a new Google account just for the subscription
- Open your VPN (we recommend NordVPN) and connect to a server in India
- Go to YouTube Premium and verify that the price appears in Indian rupees
- Click “Try It for Free,” and the subscription form will appear
- Fill in your credit/debit card info. The best option is to use fee-free cards to avoid conversion fees
- Find a random address in India on Google and fill in the address section
- Click buy and enjoy YouTube Premium for way cheaper
Do we recommend using a free VPN for youtube?
There’s a myriad of free VPNs on the web, but not all are good at bypassing YouTube’s geo-restrictions. Moreover, free services are usually extremely flawed, and we can’t wholeheartedly recommend them due to multiple reasons, such as:
- Small Networks. Free providers only give 3-4 locations to choose from. Meaning that the servers are usually overcrowded and have speed issues.
- Lagging and low resolution. Charge-free VPNs can throttle your bandwidth. Therefore, you won’t be able to enjoy buffer-free 4K videos.
- Malware. Some providers compromise your security by injecting malware and ravaging your devices.
- IP leaks. Free VPNs can’t even hide your IP address, exposing you to a plethora of dangers.
- User tracking. Shady providers collect and sell your data to third parties for profit.
- Data limitation. Most free VPNs give you around 10GB/month of data. That’s only enough for a few videos.
However, there is another way. If you have no extra money to spare, you can safely rely on top-notch VPNs with free trials and 30-day money-back guarantees. As mentioned before, your best bet is to go for a reputable service, such as our top pick – NordVPN. This way, you’ll get a full premium package of reliable geo-unblocking, speedy connections, and powerful privacy features straight out of the box.
Even almost two decades later, YouTube is still the go-to video hosting website of the whole worldwide web. However, on top of having certain content locked behind specific regions, YouTube is also well-known to be one of the biggest Google’s data collection tools. Luckily, there is a tool to deal with both.
Whether you find yourself in a country where YouTube is banned or just simply prioritize your online privacy, a VPN can be your ultimate solution. Leading providers, like NordVPN, excel in not only circumventing regional restrictions but also ensuring your browsing experience remains secure and your personal data is protected.
Which VPN do you prefer for YouTube? Let us know by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN to change YouTube TV location
Best NordVPN Youtuber codes
Best VPN for Twitch
Best Netflix VPN in 2023
Best VPN for BBC iPlayer
Best VPN for Apple TV
Best VPN for Plex streaming
What VPN should I use for YouTube?
Through our testing, we found that NordVPN is the best VPN for YouTube. First, it’s super fast, so streaming even 4K content should not break a drop of sweat. Also, its built-in Threat Protection feature will block YouTube ads and keep intrusive Google trackers at bay.
Which free VPN is best for YouTube?
Opting for a costless VPN for YouTube is not advisable. Such services lack the necessary capacity to provide worldwide access to the platform or ensure the protection of users’ data. Instead, we strongly recommend reputable VPN services like NordVPN, which offer free trials and money-back guarantees.
Why can't I watch YouTube with VPN?
There could be a few reasons why YouTube starts acting up after activating your VPN. Even though YouTube doesn’t prohibit VPN use, you could face some minor curbs and there are some really quick solutions. If none of them helps, get in touch with the customer service of your VPN provider.
What VPN do most Youtubers use?
NordVPN is one of the most widely used VPNs by the popular Youtubers, such as PewDiePie. It’s one of the best VPNs out in the market today, due to sheer performace and security it provides. You can also support your favorite creators by trying NordVPN out with great discounts using their special links.
Does YouTube detect VPNs?
Yes, most of the websites can see your connection is coming from a VPN server. Regardless, since using any VPN for Youtube is perfectly legal, it should not pose any issues. However, if you really want to keep your connection truly anonymous, check if your VPN service offers obfuscated servers.
Which countries blocked YouTube?
China, Eritrea, Iran, North Korea, South Sudan, and Turkmenistan are the countries that completely blocked YouTube. Fortunately, you can grab a top-of-the-line VPN like NordVPN and bypass even the most restrictive firewalls out there.