YouTube TV is among the top streaming services, housing a great number of TV channels for online viewing. However, it’s a US-only platform, not available to those outside the country, even if you’re just traveling abroad. Furthermore, even US citizens don’t have access to the same content as it varies from State to State.
But a reliable YouTube TV VPN allows you to watch YouTube TV’s 100+ channels from anywhere in the world. Such software assigns you an IP address based on your chosen location, bypassing the imposed geo-blocks. So if you’re connecting to a specific US State, you’ll instantly gain access to regional YouTube TV content and channels.
Whether YouTube TV is blocked in your area or you want to trick YouTube TV location and access more channels, a VPN will lend you a hand. The trick is picking a tried & tested service that works with this streaming platform. Below, you’ll learn about the best YouTube TV VPNs for the job and other methods to trick YouTube TV location.
How to bypass YouTube TV location with a VPN
- Subscribe to the best YouTube TV VPN. Our top testes and reliable choice is NordVPN, now 68% off
- Install the VPN on your device
- Connect to a server in the US where YouTube TV is available
- Register or log in to your YouTube TV account
- Start watching your favorite channels on YouTube TV outside the US!
Best VPN to trick YouTube TV location: shortlist
- The best VPN to bypass YouTube TV location9.6
- YouTube TV VPN with no device limit9.4
- Great for streaming YouTube TV9.0
Why do you need a VPN to watch YouTube TV?
YouTube TV only allows you to see local content from your home area. For example, if you’re traveling outside your home State, the content and channels will vary depending on your current location. A specific channel in New York won’t be available in Michigan, and vice versa. However, a reliable VPN lets you get around these YouTube TV limitations by changing your IP address and spoofing your whereabouts.
The same applies if you want to see another State’s content. You can change your YouTube TV playback area with a VPN, get a wider variety of content, and avoid blackouts on NFL, NBA, or other sports events. Just remember that you’ll have to verify that you are in your home area every 90 days.
If you frequently travel abroad, using YouTube TV will also be impossible without a VPN. That’s because the service is only available in the United States. Yet again, you can use the same YouTube TV hack and spoof your whereabouts by choosing a US server. And you can pick whether you want to connect close to your home area or another State altogether.
Another big annoyance with YouTube TV is that it makes account sharing extremely difficult. Same as Netflix, only a limited number of people in your household can use YouTube TV. If you move to a different region, YouTube TV will ask to verify your location, and if you can’t, they will cut access. Luckily, some top streaming VPNs offer unique tools to circumvent password-sharing restrictions, like NordVPN’s Meshnet.
NordVPN is the ultimate choice to trick YouTube TV location and watch local channels. It provides loads of servers in the US, top-notch speeds globally, and reliable safety features. Plus, you can use Meshnet to bypass YouTube TV password-sharing restrictions.
Best VPNs to trick Youtube TV location: an overview
- NordVPN – the fastest & strongest YouTube TV VPN
- Surfshark VPN – excellent VPN for YouTube TV home area workaround
- Atlas VPN – cheap VPN to trick YouTube TV location
Our team tested 25 premium VPN services to find out which bypass YouTube TV geo-blocks and password-sharing restrictions with ease. We also paid close attention to connection speeds, app availability for streaming devices, and additional features that make YouTube TV streaming experiences smoother.
Thus, we selected top 3 well-performing YouTube TV VPNs that help change your location, access the streaming service, and explore more YouTube TV content with ease.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for YouTube TV location hack
- 100% works with YouTube TV
- Excellent security and privacy
- Meshnet feature
- Can't select specific locations on Apple devices
Many Reddit users recommend NordVPN as the best VPN to trick YouTube TV location. The service covers 60+ countries with 5800+ servers, many of which are in the US. Moreover, thanks to the in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol NordVPN is the fastest VPN on the market. Because of that, you can easily bypass geo-blocks and enjoy YouTube TV in 4K.
You’ll find desktops, mobiles, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and many more among supported devices. Even more become available once you configure the VPN with your router or via SmartPlay. The most unique NordVPN feature is Meshnet. With it, you and your family members can connect to your home network remotely, allowing you to enjoy YouTube TV from anywhere.
You can reap full benefits of YouTube TV for 68% off when you use a NordVPN discount coupon. For this, you get 6 simultaneous connections, which is ideal if you also have a YouTube TV family plan. Moreover, for a small additional price, you can get a dedicated IP address in another state, making accessing YouTube TV and bypassing blackouts a lot easier.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – solid VPN to bypass YouTube TV location restrictions
- No device limit
- Excellent speed
- Supports plenty of platforms & devices
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark is one of the best multi-device VPNs for YouTube TV, offering countless simultaneous connections. Not to mention, you’ll find 3200+ pieces of hardware in 100+ countries, including 600 servers in the US you can pick by State. The icing on the cake – Surfshark offers a unique GPS Spoofing feature, making location swaps more reliable.
The VPN easily tricks YouTube TV location restrictions, allowing you to access your home area content anywhere, even outside the US. Furthermore, expect short buffering times and crisp video quality thanks to the WireGuard tunneling protocol and the proprietary Nexus technology. Plus, if you have smart TVs or consoles that don’t support VPNs natively, you can use Surfshark’s Smart DNS feature to watch YouTube TV on the big screen.
At the moment, you can get Surfshark for 83% less. All you have to do is use the Surfshark VPN coupon. And for a small additional fee, you can get a dedicated IP address if you want to view content outside your YouTube TV home area.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – cheap VPN for YouTube TV home area workaround
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No router support
During our research, Atlas VPN stood out as a reliable VPN that lets you watch YouTube TV outside your home area. The provider offers 1000+ pieces of hardware in 42+ countries. Many are in the US, so you can easily choose a server in a specific US city. Additionally, some of the servers are streaming-optimized. They ensure easier access to YouTube TV and better speeds.
Moreover, the WireGuard tunneling protocol ensures excellent speeds, so you can watch YouTube TV in 4K, even outside the US. As for compatibility, Atlas VPN has apps for all major OS, making it perfect for streaming on computers, smart TVs, tablets, and mobile devices. The icing on the cake – this provider offers infinite connections, so you easily share your Atlas VPN account with your household members.
Unlike other providers on the list, Atlas VPN offers a free version. However, the US server selection is quite limited, which is not ideal for those who want access to many regional YouTube TV channels. But with a premium subscription, you’ll get better speeds and more US location choices. At the moment, you can get an Atlas VPN coupon and grab a subscription with a generous 85% discount.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to watch YouTube TV on your desktop or device
Like any other excellent streaming service, YouTube TV offers apps for all major OS. You can easily stream on computers, tablets, mobile devices, and smart TVs. However, if you want to see content outside your home area or share your password with family members, you’ll need a VPN to trick YouTube TV.
Often, the joy of sitting back on a couch and turning on your favorite channel is not possible. Luckily, you can watch YouTube TV on the go on your laptop or smartphone. However, if you’re outside the US, you’ll need a solid VPN too.
At the moment, YouTube TV supports these desktop, mobile, and other devices:
- Any desktop device with a web browser
- Smartphones & Tablets: Android (running Android 5.0 Lollipop and above), iOS (iPhones & iPads running iOS 11 or later)
- Smart TVs: Android TV, Google TV, Samsung TV, LG TV, Vizo SmartCast, Hisense Smart TV, Sharp Smart TV, Sony Smart TV
- Streaming media players: Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV Stick
- Game consoles: Xbox (Series X and One), PlayStation (PS4 and PS5)
The easiest YouTube TV home area workaround is using a VPN. Many YouTube TV subscribers use this method as it lets them bypass changing YouTube TV location settings, which can be a hassle. Most importantly, VPNs work with other streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
Using a VPN is the most reliable way to watch any YouTube TV content you want. Here’s how to change location for YouTube TV with a VPN on desktop and mobile:
- Subscribe to a reliable YouTube TV VPN service. Our #1 option is NordVPN, now 68% off
- Install the application on your computer or phone
- Log into your VPN app
- Connect to a server in your desired US location
- Sign into your YouTube TV account and browse new content!
How to change YouTube TV location with VPN on streaming devices
YouTube TV lets you change your playback area as much as you want. All you have to do is select that you are traveling. But according to u/TeamYouTube on Reddit, you have to show your account in the home area every 90 days. With that in mind, here’s a YouTube TV home area workaround that will let you watch content from other states:
- Get a YouTube TV VPN that supports your streaming device and mobile devices. We recommend Surfshark VPN, that offers GPS spoofing for Android devices
- Install VPN on your device. If that’s not possible, install it on your router. Alternatively, use Smart DNS
- Connect to a server in the preferred US location or use your dedicated IP address. Make sure you get the same IP address and location for all devices
- Head to YouTube TV, click on your profile picture, and select Settings
- Click Area and update your Current Playback Area
- Use the GPS spoofing feature on your mobile and allow the YouTube TV to use your phone’s location
- Get the verification and enjoy loads more YouTube TV content!
How to change YouTube TV home area
When creating a YouTube TV account, the service will ask for your location and zip code to set your home area. This is to ensure that you get the right networks in your location. Unlike the playback area, you can only change YouTube TV home area 2 times per year. If you’re not creating an account from a different country, you won’t even need a VPN for the YouTube TV home area workaround.
Here’s how to change your YouTube TV home area on a PC or Android device:
- Open the YouTube TV app
- Select your profile photo and click on Settings
- Select Area and then pick Home Area
- Click Update
- Verify your whereabouts with a zip code and mobile device
- Now you have a new home area on YouTube TV!
Here’s how to change your YouTube TV home area on iOS:
- Open the YouTube TV app
- Click on your profile picture and go to Settings
- Go to Area > Home Area
- Select Update
- Verify your location with a zip code and mobile device
- Congratulations, you’ve updated your YouTube TV home area!
How to update current YouTube TV playback area
The playback area is the geographical region outside your home area. Unlike the YouTube TV home area, the playback area changes once you travel outside your designated home location. Instead of showing the usual YouTube TV channels you see at home, the platform then shows content available in the region you’re visiting.
Still, you need to verify your YouTube TV playback area settings. Here’s how to do that on browsers and phones:
- Open the YouTube TV app
- Select your profile picture and head to the Settings
- Click on Area and find the Current Playback Area
- Select Update and the platform will use your mobile device to verify your location
Here’s how to change the YouTube TV playback area on smart TVs:
- Turn on your TV and open the YouTube TV app
- Click on your profile picture and navigate to Settings
- Go to Area > Current Playback Area
- Go to tv.youtube.com/verify on your mobile
- Allow the website to use your phone’s location
- And that’s it, this will verify your new playback area and change the content appropriately
However, if you want to see another State’s local YouTube TV content without physically traveling to it, you can do that with the help of a VPN. Just remember to connect all devices to the same VPN server for this to work.
How to change YouTube TV location permissions
What subscribers can record on YouTube TV depends on their home area and their playback area. And these location permissions define what YouTube TV content is available to you based on your geographical whereabouts.
YouTube TV doesn’t allow users to record shows outside their home area when they’re traveling, only watch them. This poses an issue if you have a sporting event happening at home while you’re away. Luckily, you can update location permissions to show and let you record content from your home area.
Here’s how to update YouTube TV location permissions on desktop:
- Open your web browser’s Settings menu
- Head to the Privacy and Security section
- Go to Site settings > Location
- Change the location as you see fit
Here’s how to update YouTube TV location permissions on mobile:
- Navigate to your phone’s Settings menu
- Select Apps and Notifications
- Find YouTube TV from your app list and press on it
- Go to Permissions > Location
- Change the location settings and that’s it
Again, you can also use a YouTube TV VPN to view and record content from your home area.
How to change YouTube TV while traveling?
Chances are you want to stream things on YouTube TV while traveling. If you travel in the US, you can still use the streaming service freely, but the content might vary depending on the State. However, accessing YouTube TV will be impossible no matter how much you pay if you’re going overseas.
To fight this injustice, you can use a trustworthy travel VPN. It will make it seem like you’re browsing YouTube TV from the United States, so you’ll avoid geo-restrictions. So, here’s how you can hack YouTube TV location and watch your favorite shows even when traveling internationally:
- Pick a powerful YouTube VPN. Our frontrunner is NordVPN now with a humongous discount
- Subscribe to the VPN, download the app, and sign in
- Launch the VPN and pick a server in the USA
- Now enjoy everything YouTube TV has to offer even when you’re traveling!
How to change YouTube TV location for free
To change your YouTube TV location to the US, you’ll have to either travel there or get a VPN. Sadly, none of the options are free. However, if you’re on a really tight budget, you should try the best VPNs with a free trial. Among them, you’ll also find our #1 YouTube TV VPN that offers 7-days for testing.
Of course, these are temporary solutions, best used to bypass country restrictions on YouTube TV while traveling. If you want a permanent option, you can try some of the top free VPN services in 2023.
Unfortunately, there’s no guarantee that a free VPN for YouTube TV will get the job done. Even if they manage to do that once, next time you might see an error message about a detected proxy. Moreover, free providers often lack support for devices, meaning you should forget about watching YouTube TV on a smart TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, or Roku.
The best thing about no-cost and trial VPNs is that you can test them out without commitment. I’m just letting you know that free VPNs aren’t worth the effort since they are very unreliable. Meanwhile, a fully-featured trial gives you a glimpse at what premium virtual private networks are capable of in terms of tricking YouTube TV location.
YouTube TV not working with a VPN
Let’s admit it, geo-blocking is here to stay. Due to copyright restrictions, certain movies or shows will be unavailable in some locations, meaning that no streaming service will be able to offer a full package. The same is with YouTube TV, which is unavailable outside the US.
While the best solution to bypass YouTube TV location restrictions is using a VPN, not every service is capable of doing so. Even if nearly all VPNs have servers in the US, YouTube TV blocking VPN services is not uncommon. In such a scenario, you’ll see the infamous “It looks like you’re outside of the United States. YouTube TV is only available in the US.” error message.
Although it’s unlikely that you’ll encounter it when using our Top 3 YouTube TV VPNs, it’s good to know some troubleshooting options beforehand. Here is the list of the most popular solutions:
- Reconnect. First and foremost, you should simply try connecting to another US server. For example, NordVPN has nearly 2,000 of them and YouTube TV will need time to catch the whole fleet with the constantly changing IP addresses.
- Check for IP and DNS leaks. Sometimes, a VPN can leak your real IP address or DNS requests if not configured correctly, preventing you from watching YouTube TV and other geo-blocked streaming services. Make sure that your kill switch and leak protection are on.
- Clear the cache. For those streaming YouTube TV via browser, clear out your web browser’s cookie cache. Internet cookies contain information about your actual whereabouts that can prevent you from accessing YouTube TV.
- Contact customer support. If the above tips can’t solve the issue, contact customer support. Chances are there are some problems with the service they’re currently fixing. We advise choosing a VPN with 24/7 live chat to avoid long response times.
If all else fails, the best solution might be getting a solid YouTube TV VPN, such as NordVPN. It easily unblocks YouTube TV, offers top performance, and has resourceful 24/7 customer support.
Reddit tips for bypassing YouTube TV location
Many customers turn to Reddit for advice when looking for ways to bypass YouTube TV location. It’s also a solid knowledge base if you’re looking for YouTube TV location hacks without VPNs.
You can try to turn off location services (or GPS settings) on your device. Then it will be harder for your streaming device to betray your true location. Alternatively, you can use a VPN such as Surfshark VPN, which offers a GPS spoofing tool for Android devices. That way, bypassing YouTube TV’s location restrictions will be a lot easier.
If you want to read more about Reddit’s top VPNs, we recommend checking out our best VPNs according to the Reddit article.
How to trick YouTube TV location without a VPN
If you can’t change your YouTube TV home area or don’t have the funds for a VPN, there are a few free methods to alter your YTTV location. So, read on and pick the best YouTube TV location hack without VPN that fits your needs:
- Utilize a proxy service. Similar to VPNs, proxies change your IP address but don’t encrypt your internet traffic. While there are plenty of free options, many of their IPs can be blacklisted. Furthermore, the lack of encryption might make tricking YouTube TV location much harder.
- Try Tor Browser. It’s a browser that routes your traffic through nodes to ensure your confidentiality. It can be an excellent option for hacking YouTube TV locations but can be quite slow in terms of streaming. But that is expected as the Tor Browse is mostly used to communicate anonymously.
- Use GPS spoofing tools. This method will mainly work on Android devices. There are plenty of free apps that can help you change your location. Nevertheless, plenty of fake and malware-riddled applications exist, so be careful before using one.
Most of these YouTube TV location spoofing methods are super easy to use and, in most cases, free to use. However, they aren’t the most reliable way to access geo-locked content. And they don’t provide much security or privacy while doing so.
Either way, if you want to try and trick YouTube location with any of these techniques, you can read more about them on our unblock websites from anywhere page.
What to watch on YouTube TV
Launched back in 2017, YouTube TV is a streaming television service with 3 million subscribers. Contrary to Netflix and other content platforms, it offers not movies and shows but TV channels. At the time of writing this review, there were more than 100 options to choose from on YouTube TV.
Just like the competition, YouTube TV has on-demand videos, Cloud DVR storage, and some of the most popular sports events. Those include World Series and NBA Finals.
The available YouTube TV channels include ABC, ESPN, CBS, and NBC. You can also get an add-on with HBO Max, Showtime, EPIX, etc., greatly expanding your content selection. There’s also another YouTube TV add-on that essentially enables 4K streaming, unlimited streams, and offline recording that is incredibly useful for those who can’t watch sports events live for one reason or another.
Finally, here’s some of the content available on YouTube TV:
|Mrs America||TV series||2020|
|Unbreakable: Live to Tell||TV series||2019–|
|Heartland Docs||TV series||2020|
|Cobra Kai||TV series||2018–|
|Grey’s Anatomy||TV series||2005–|
|Killing Eve||TV series||2018–2022|
|The Good Wife||TV series||2009–2016|
|No Time To Die||Movie||2020|
|Venom: Let There Be Carnage||Movie||2021|
|Premier League on NBCSN||Sports||2021–2022|
|NFL on CBS Sports||Sports||2021–2022|
|NBA on NBA TV||Sports||2021–2022|
|NHL on ESPN||Sports||2021–2022|
|MLB on MLB Network||Sports||2021–2022|
But again, what kind of channels you can tune into on YouTube TV depends on your location. If there’s a specific channel unavailable in your home area, you can still access it by using a VPN to trick YouTube TV location.
There are plenty of reasons why you might want to learn how to bypass YouTube TV location. Whether you intend to watch out-of-market sports games or plan on traveling overseas, a VPN for YouTube TV will help you hack the location and give you access to the service anywhere.
And if you don’t want any hiccups, get the best VPN for YouTube TV home area workaround – NordVPN. Thanks to loads of servers in the US, dedicated IP option, excellent performance, and the special Meshnet feature, you’ll be able to explore extensive YouTube TV content libraries in no time. So, get the ultimate virtual private network, trick YouTube TV location, and enjoy endless streaming possibilities anywhere!
Have you tried any YouTube TV location hack? Did you try any VPNs for spoofing YouTube TV? Let us know in the comments!
Why does YouTube TV not work with VPN?
A VPN might not work with YouTube TV if all of the IP addresses and servers are blocklisted. In this case, YouTube TV will detect VPN usage and prevent you from accessing content from another state. Therefore, if you want to hack YouTube TV location, we recommend getting a tried and tested YouTube TV VPN.
Does YouTube TV work with VPN?
You can quickly and easily access YouTube TV with a VPN no matter where you are. A tested and reliable VPN helps bypass YouTube TV’s location restrictions in just a few clicks. All you have to do is subscribe to a trusted YouTube TV VPN with lots of US servers. Our recommendation is NordVPN, now 68% off.
Does YouTube TV work outside the US?
YouTube TV is only available in the USA at the moment. However, if you use a VPN, such as Surfshark VPN, you may change your IP address and location. That way you can use your YouTube TV account in any part of the world.
Does YouTube TV have location restrictions?
Yes, YouTube TV is restricted and only available in the US. Even then, there are parts where YouTube TV might be blocked in your area. To avoid this issue, you can use a YouTube TV VPN with Meshnet or GPS spoofing features to watch content in different locations.
How do I get around YouTube TV VPN detection?
Firstly, you need to use a reliable YouTube TV VPN with excellent performance. Secondly, online services typically detect VPN users when multiple users are connecting from the same IP address. A constantly-changing IP is also a giveaway. You can solve this YouTube TV VPN detection issue by always connecting to the same VPN server or using a dedicated IP address.
Does NordVPN work on YouTube TV?
Yes, NordVPN works with YouTube TV and is considered the best VPN for this purpose. It has around 2000 servers in the US and even offers dedicated IP addresses for foolproof access to US-exclusive services, not just YouTube TV.
Can I stream YouTube TV on Apple TV?
Yes, you can watch YouTube TV on Apple TV. However, if you live outside the US or in certain areas of America, you won’t get all the available content. Therefore, you’ll need a VPN, such as NordVPN, to access restricted YouTube TV content anywhere.
How do I bypass YouTube not in my home area?
The best YouTube TV home area workaround is using a VPN. With a reliable provider like NordVPN, you’ll easily change your location and bypass location restrictions. That way, you’ll have access to all content on YouTube TV.
Why is YouTube TV blocking my VPN?
YouTube TV is licensed to show content only to US audiences. Because of this, YouTube TV blocks VPN traffic to uphold its content distribution agreements. The streaming service does this by identifying users connected to known VPN IP addresses and blacklisting them.
What free VPN works with YouTube TV?
NordVPN is the best free trial VPN for Youtube TV. It comes with 5800+ servers in 60+ countries, and over 2000 servers are based in the US. And because it facilitates lighting-fast speeds, you’ll watch YouTube TV in 4K UHD quality with virtually no lag.