Valorant is an online multiplayer first-person shooter developed by Riot Games. The company was torpedoed to stardom thanks to the massive success of League of Legends. Since then, the developer expanded its library of games with equally compelling masterpieces.
However, gamers are still frustrated because they can’t play with their foreign friends conveniently. Instead, they need to use a Valorant VPN (Virtual Private Network) to change their virtual location and access servers in different regions. Thankfully, a VPN provides other benefits, such as protection against DDoS (Distributed-Denial-of-Service) attacks.
Not every service grants the perks needed for a flawless gaming experience. Which is why we’ve selected the top five best VPNs for Valorant for you to choose from.
5 Best VPNs for Valorant
- The best VPN for Valorant9.7
- VPN for Valorant with exceptional privacy9.4
- Cheap and multi-purpose Valorant VPN9.0
- Valorant VPN with malware protection8.7
- Most affordable VPN for Valorant8.4
How to use Valorant with a VPN
- Subscribe to a top-notch VPN. Our favorite gaming companion is NordVPN, available for 60% off!
- Download the VPN on your PC
- Connect to a server in the region you wish to play in
- Create a new Valorant account
- Enjoy lag-free matches in other Valorant regions!
Why do you need a VPN for Valorant?
Valorant players don’t share the same servers and are split by region based on their home country. For example, players from North America can’t play against players from the EU. Therefore, gamers need a VPN to change their location to compete against their friends abroad.
Additionally, a virtual private network connection grants boons in other aspects. For starters, high-level competitive gamers are frequently targeted by DDoS attacks, which disrupt your network and disconnect from the match. Thankfully, a VPN grants DDoS protection and keeps your gaming sessions uninterrupted.
Furthermore, internet service providers in some countries engage in bandwidth throttling if they notice excessive data usage. Such interference while gaming or streaming video content results in high latency, lagging, and frustration. Thankfully, a VPN masks all your online activities and prevents this from happening.
You can learn more about the inner workings of a virtual private network by reading our VPN basics article.
Best VPNs for Valorant: overview
- NordVPN – the Best VPN for Valorant
- Surfshark VPN – VPN for Valorant with exceptional privacy
- PrivateVPN – cheap and multi-purpose Valorant VPN
- IPVanish – Valorant VPN with malware protection
- Atlas VPN – most affordable VPN for Valorant
A VPN service can guarantee satisfaction while playing Valorant by fulfilling a few criteria. Namely, it needs:
- Fast tunneling protocols
- Expansive server network
- Robust security features
- Easy-to-use dedicated apps
- 24/7 customer service
Privacy-enhancing features, such as a kill switch or DNS leak protection, aren’t essential while gaming with a VPN. Instead, you need to focus on high-speed connectivity to minimize latency. However, these bonuses will make the service versatile and useful in other scenarios as well.
We’ve selected the Top 5 VPNs for Valorant to ensure peak gaming performance and easy access to foreign servers. Each has a unique set of benefits that make it useful in various scenarios. Read more about these perks below.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Valorant
24/7 live chat, Email
- Extremely fast
- Independently audited and private
- Packed with reliable security features
- No router app
The best VPN for keeping your kill count high in Valorant is NordVPN. It’s loaded with servers across the globe and swift tunneling protocols for ultimate performance. Plus, you can test it out by utilizing the NordVPN free trial on the Google Play Store.
First off, NordVPN utilizes 5400+ servers across 60+ countries. The majority of servers are equipped with RAM-only technology to ensure data security on a fundamental level. Meanwhile, breakneck connectivity is facilitated with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
NordVPN is well-rounded and trustworthy on the digital security front. For starters, it provides the Threat Protection feature, which nullifies ads, online trackers, and protects your device from malicious files. On the other hand, Obfuscated Servers can be used for circumventing digital firewalls and online censorship.
Potential customers can get a great deal on long-term subscriptions by using a NordVPN discount code. With it, prices start at only $3.29/month and are bundled with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – VPN for Valorant with exceptional privacy
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Unique set of features
- Swift and secure
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark VPN will guarantee absolute confidentiality from prying eyes while playing Valorant. The service has industry-leading features for keeping your online activities secure and anonymous. Best of all, you can get a taste of these benefits by claiming the 7-day Surfshark trial on either the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
Users can choose from 3200+ RAM-only servers scattered across 65+ countries. None of the server locations are virtual, ensuring top-notch performance. Additionally, connectivity is further enhanced with the modern and open-source WireGuard tunneling protocol.
This service is breaking new ground in the VPN industry with the announcement of Surfshark Nexus. It greatly improves performance while also unlocking new ways of keeping users anonymous. For example, IP rotation is available and alternates your IP address without interrupting the VPN connection.
Snag a Surfshark discount code and purchase a subscription for as little as $2.30/month. And don’t worry, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with the product.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – cheap and multi-purpose Valorant VPN
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- Secure and well-performing
- Port forwarding
- Lacks WireGuard
Consider PrivateVPN if you’re frugal and interested in many online activities besides playing Valorant. It’s pretty versatile and equipped for various scenarios.
This VPN runs a tight-knit network of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. The entire fleet is bare-metal and maintained by the provider without any third parties. Meanwhile, reliable connections are facilitated with the age-old OpenVPN protocol.
Like many other virtual private networks, PrivateVPN is used to curb geo-blocks by streaming platforms like Netflix. On the other hand, this VPN also grants port forwarding and a SOCKS5 proxy for torrenting fans. Alternatively, access to blocked websites on restrictive networks can be achieved with Stealth VPN.
This provider is exceptionally wallet-friendly when using a PrivateVPN coupon at checkout. Prices drop to a measly $2.00/month and are shielded with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, you can even pay for a subscription using cryptocurrencies.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Valorant VPN with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- Excellent performance
- Expansive compatibility
- No anonymous payment methods
Security from all fronts will be guaranteed when opting for IPVanish. Not only is it a solid VPN for Valorant, but it also grants protection against malware and ransomware.
Firstly, IPVanish runs a network of 2000+ servers in 50+ countries. It maintains the fleet without assistance from third-party vendors, filling in security gaps from potential threats. Meanwhile, mind-blowing speed is ensured with WireGuard.
Customers can install IPVanish on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. Additionally, entertainment systems like Android TV and Amazon Fire TV are supported. And if an app for your desired device is unavailable, manual router setup is possible to secure an entire network and all connected devices.
Users can lock in affordable prices by finding an IPVanish coupon code online. With it, subscriptions begin at $3.99/month Naturally, a 30-day money-back guarantee is also available if the service isn’t up to snuff.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – most affordable VPN for Valorant
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Free version
- Well-rounded and cheap
- Limitless simultaneous connections
- No manual router configuration
The ultimate money-saving VPN for Valorant is Atlas VPN. It’s dirt-cheap, performative, reliable, and has excellent security.
Atlas VPN users can choose from 750+ servers in 37+ countries. Ther servers are categorized by purpose, meaning you’ll have no trouble finding the perfect option for your current use case.
For example, SafeSwap servers guarantee privacy by constantly switching your IP address in the background. Meanwhile, Multihop+ goes a step further and rotates your VPN location intermittently while providing additional encryption. On the other hand, streaming servers are optimized for geo-unblocking and maximum speed for seamless high-definition video delivery.
Intrigued users can get a sneak peek into Atlas VPN by checking out the free version. Alternatively, massive discounts are available if you use an Atlas VPN coupon and purchase a subscription for only $1.99/month.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to play Valorant in different regions
You’ll need the help of a VPN if you want to play Valorant in different regions. Like in League of Legends, new accounts are assigned to specific servers when created based on their current location. Therefore, connecting to a virtual private network in another area won’t unlock new servers for an existing account.
Instead, you need to connect to another country and create a new account for that region. After that, you’ll need to continue logging in from that location for optimal performance. Plus, constantly switching IP addresses can look like different users trying to break into your account. This could end with your account getting suspended temporarily. You can avoid this conundrum by using a VPN with a dedicated IP address.
How to play Valorant with someone from another region
- Purchase a VPN with a wide array of servers. We recommend NordVPN
- Install the VPN on your favorite gaming device
- Connect to a server in the region you want to play in
- Create a new Valorant account
- Log in and match up with your friends!
Concerns about Vanguard
Tech-savvy players noticed that the Valorant game launcher uses a program called Vanguard for anti-cheat prevention. Although such software is common in competitive multiplayer games, some were worried because the app is running even when you’re not playing the game. Additionally, it starts as soon as you boot up the computer and runs on the kernel level.
It essentially works like antivirus software that scans your device for programs and files that could affect Valorant gameplay. However, players agree that it’s harmless if you don’t use any cheating software. Plus, you can easily turn it off in the system tray while not playing Valorant.
What should I look for in a VPN for Valorant?
Gamers are free to choose any other VPN that they come across. However, there are some crucial aspects to consider when choosing a VPN for Valorant.
- Speed. Online gaming requires the smoothest possible performance without any lags or stuttering. When it comes to latency, a VPN can keep it low with the latest and most efficient tunneling protocols, for example, WireGuard. You can see whether a provider is fast enough using our VPN speed test.
- Servers. A VPN is more versatile with greater server coverage. It also influences performance and ensures smooth connectivity for many customers simultaneously.
- Compatibility. The majority of VPN providers have dedicated apps for PC and mobile devices. Usability with other platforms depends on the provider, but the best possible versatility is ensured by picking a service that permits manual VPN configuration on routers.
- Security. Competitive online gamers are prone to numerous disruptions from unethical opponents. For example, they could use DDoS attacks to overwhelm your network and disconnect you in the middle of the match. You can prevent this by using a reliable VPN with solid security.
- Price. The most sure-fire way to guarantee quality is to purchase a premium VPN subscription. Many free gaming VPN options are available, but they’ll disappoint numerous times and leave Valorant players frustrated.
- Privacy. Confidentiality isn’t essential for gamers unless your ISP throttles your connection. Still, be sure that your virtual private network isn’t based in Five Eyes alliance territory and adheres to a strict no-logs policy.
- Customer support. Contacting customer service via live chat is ideal for solving VPN-related issues without any fuss and frustration. Not every provider has this option, so check if it’s available.
Can I use a free VPN for Valorant?
Theoretically, a free game like Valorant should pair wonderfully with a no-cost VPN service for the ultimate entertainment and security combo. Sadly, that’s not the case, as free virtual private networks have countless downsides that don’t mesh well with online gaming. For starters:
- Throttled bandwidth results in high latency and lagging
- Data caps prevent long gaming sessions
- Subpar security features leave you exposed to DDoS attacks and IP leaks
- Miniscule server networks hamper performance and minimize geo-unblocking potential
- User data logging and selling is rampant among free VPNs to keep the service afloat
As such, freemium services are the most reliable money-saving alternative since it’s clear how they keep the lights on. Alternatively, you can look into VPNs with free trials to get a glance at what a solid provider is capable of. After that, a VPN coupon code can unlock heavily discounted subscriptions if you’re after the best possible deal.
Getting a VPN for Valorant is essential if you want to play with your friends in other regions. The game assigns you to a server when you register, which means you need a VPN to create a new account in a different location with other players. A virtual private network can also prevent data throttling, DDoS attacks, and other online nuisances.
Which VPN do you use while playing Valorant? Does it perform well all the time? Share your experience by leaving a comment!
Can you get banned in Valorant for using a VPN?
No, Valorant does not prohibit VPN usage. Instead, the game bans users for using cheating software and other methods for gaining an unfair advantage. If your IP address was banned, you could use a VPN to change it and continue playing.
Can I use VPN for Valorant?
Yes, a VPN for Valorant is necessary if you want to play against players from other continents. It also has the potential to lower your ping if you’re experiencing ISP throttling while gaming online.
Is NordVPN good for Valorant?
Yes, NordVPN is one of the best VPN options for Valorant. It’s speedy, keeps ping low, and runs in the background without causing any issues. Plus, it has a massive server fleet if you want to play in other regions.
Ethan is a security researcher and digital privacy advocate. He spends his time unraveling various anonymity and security tools, plus contributing to open-source projects. Otherwise, he keeps a low profile by hiking or cycling around the countryside.