In this article, we’ll explain how to unblock Minecraft with a VPN. Minecraft is a worldwide phenomenon with over 100 million active users. There’s plenty to do in this virtual world until you get blocked at school, at work, or because of geo-restrictions.
While there are plenty of VPN providers, not all can unblock Minecraft servers. In fact, you won’t be able to play at all if Mojang detects that you’re using a VPN. That’s why we’ll be talking only about the VPNs for Minecraft that can do the job and let you play.
5 Best VPNs for Minecraft
Want to start exploring your Minecraft world as soon as possible? Here are our top Minecraft VPN choices in 2022:
- The best Minecraft VPN9.5
- Budget-friendly and powerful VPN9.4
- Everything you want from a Minecraft VPN9.2
- Inexpensive VPN for Minecraft9.0
- The cheapest VPN for Minecraft8.6
How to play Minecraft with a VPN
Before you start using a VPN for Minecraft, here’s a quick guide to get you started:
- Choose a VPN that’s compatible with your preferred gaming device. Our top choice is NordVPN, currently 68% off!
- Install the VPN and connect to any nearby server for the best connection speeds
- Open Minecraft and start playing singleplayer or connect to an online server securely
Overview of the best Minecraft VPNs
As you can imagine, not every service is up to the task of being a top-quality VPN for Minecraft. It needs ultra-fast connection speeds, large server networks, knowledgeable customer support agents, and it shouldn’t cost a fortune. Thankfully, we’ve compiled this list of our top Minecraft VPN recommendations so you could choose the best one for yourself.
1. NordVPN – the best Minecraft VPN
24/7 live chat, Email
- Unbeatable security and privacy
- Best speeds
- Great against geo-blocking
- No router app
NordVPN is the fastest and most secure VPN for Minecraft. Moreover, it comes with military-grade encryption, leak protection, and secure tunneling protocols. Simply put, you need never worry about getting DDoSed.
With over 5500 servers in 59 countries, there’s bound to be a server nearby. Additionally, NordVPN has apps for all major platforms, including Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. It also unblocks not only Minecraft but streaming websites and torrenting.
Best of all, NordVPN offers a 7-day free trial on Android devices. After that, you can get NordVPN for $2.99/month. Every subscription comes with six simultaneous connections allowed. Then there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee. Simply put, this is the best Minecraft VPN that you can get.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – budget-friendly and powerful VPN
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Fast connections
- Great for gaming, streaming, and torrenting
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No-logs policy needs auditing
Surfshark is the cheapest best VPN for Minecraft. It doesn’t limit simultaneously connected devices, meaning you can easily share your account with friends. Besides, all major platforms are supported by this service.
When it comes to speed, Surfshark VPN ends up among the fastest services. Therefore, you shouldn’t have issues while playing Minecraft, streaming Netflix, or torrenting. Plus, the service is equipped with over 3200 servers in 100, which is more than enough to get around any IP address ban.
You can get Surfshark VPN for $1.99/month only, including a 30-day money-back guarantee. What’s more, Android and iPhone users are eligible for a 7-day free trial. We’re certain that you’ll like this secure and private VPN for Minecraft.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. IPVanish – everything you want from a Minecraft VPN
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Extremely fast
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Great server list
- No anonymous payments
Minecraft is available on a wide range of devices and platforms. And since IPVanish supports all of them, we believe it to be a hugely powerful Minecraft VPN. This service has great security, privacy, and unblocking capabilities. Plus, it’s equipped with a kill switch to ensure that your real IP address does not leak.
With IPVanish, you’ll be able to play Minecraft and other games and avoid IP bans. It has a widely-spread server fleet and good speeds with WireGuard. Also, it should be enough for streaming Netflix US and torrenting.
We recommend downloading IPVanish because there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee. There are no simultaneous connection limits, meaning you’ll be able to unblock Minecraft on all of your devices.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
4. PrivateVPN – inexpensive VPN for Minecraft
24/7 live chat
- Packed with great security features
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Highly affordable
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
PrivateVPN is a great VPN for Minecraft. Even though it only has 200 servers in 63 countries, they’re strategically placed, not overcrowded, and provide fast speeds.
Even more, buying PrivateVPN brings a thoughtful combination of security, privacy, and performance. Next, it uses bank-grade encryption, keeps no logs, and is an excellent VPN for streaming Netflix and getting around various geographical restrictions.
Starting at $2.00/month, this service is cheap. And since you can use it on up to 6 devices at the same time, you can play Minecraft from any device. Last but not least, PrivateVPN offers a 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
5. Atlas VPN – the cheapest VPN for Minecraft
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Unlimited devices
- Great free version
- Cheapest Minecraft VPN
- Apps lack features
Atlas VPN deserves to be among the best Minecraft VPN services. This US-based provider has a strict no-logs policy and uses military-grade encryption to protect your data.
One of the more interesting features of Atlas VPN is SafeSwap. It allows you to use servers with rotating IP addresses, meaning there’s less chance of Minecraft banning them entirely. Furthermore, Atlas VPN uses a fast WireGuard tunneling protocol, allowing quality gaming, streaming, and torrenting.
Atlas VPN is also the cheapest Minecraft VPN currently available. You can get it for $1.64/month and use it on any number of devices at once. There’s also a free version and a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you change your mind.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
6. PureVPN – works perfectly for Minecraft
24/7 live chat
- Good range of supported platforms
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Audited no-logs policy
- Weak kill switch
PureVPN will help you unblock and play Minecraft in no time. It comes with a kill switch, no leaks, and an independently-audited no-logs policy for your security and privacy. Furthermore, PureVPN has truly global coverage, providing 6500+ servers in more than 70 countries.
The speeds provider by this service should be enough for gaming, streaming, and torrenting. PureVPN easily unblocks not only Minecraft but also Netflix. Additionally, its port forwarding feature enables you to join Minecraft servers that are behind a router.
Getting PureVPN for $1.95/month is a tempting offer, especially when you get 10 simultaneous connections. Plus, there’s a 31-day money-back guarantee available for each plan.
For a deeper investigation of PureVPN, read our PureVPN review.
7. Hotspot Shield – lighting fast VPN for Minecraft
24/7 live chat
- Super-fast connection times
- Great for Netflix
- Supports all major platforms
- Most plans are not cheap
With its proprietary Hydra tunneling protocol, Hotspot Shield is one of the fastest VPN providers on the market. It has an impressive fleet of 1800+ servers in more than 99 countries. This means the VPN will serve Minecraft users well regardless of location.
Also, Minecraft players should make sure that the internet kill switch is enabled to ensure that their actual IP address remains secure. In addition, Hotspot Shield unblocks multiple Netflix libraries and is great for P2P.
This service has a free version for you to try. However, it has limitations, and that’s why we recommend you to buy Hotspot Shield for $7.99/month. Their generous 45-day money-back guarantee should be enough for you to make up your mind.
For a deeper investigation of Hotspot Shield, read our Hotspot Shield review.
8. PIA – all-around great VPN for Minecraft
Live chat, email
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Good security credentials
- Court-proven no-logs policy
- Not good in China
Private Internet Access will unblock Minecraft and do that for a very cheap price. Besides, each plan gives 10 simultaneous connections, making the deal even better. That’s why we recommend you to download PIA – it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
This service has great coverage in the West, providing blazing-fast speeds with WireGuard for playing Minecraft and other games. It also allows P2P and unblocks the Netflix US library. And just like the rest of VPNs, Private Internet Access has apps for all popular devices.
In terms of security and privacy, PIA does well too. This VPN uses military-grade encryption, has no leaks, and has a strict no-logs policy. Additionally, the split tunneling feature allows you to enable the VPN exclusively for specific apps. That means you can secure just Minecraft without causing inconvenience with your other daily apps.
For a deeper investigation of Private Internet Access, read our Private Internet Access review.
Best perk of each Minecraft VPN
|NordVPN||The best Minecraft VPN|
|Surfshark||Budget-friendly and powerful VPN|
|IPVanish||Everything you want from a Minecraft VPN|
|PrivateVPN||Cheap VPN for Minecraft|
|Atlas VPN||The cheapest VPN for Minecraft|
|PureVPN||Works perfectly for Minecraft|
|Hotspot Shield||Lighting fast VPN for Minecraft|
|Private Internet Access||All-around great VPN for Minecraft|
Why do you need a VPN for Minecraft?
You’re reading this article because you’re a passionate fan of Minecraft. And more precisely, you’re probably facing a problem that prevents you from playing the game. Therefore, let’s see what kinds of issues can be solved using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) for Minecraft.
- Unblock Minecraft from anywhere. We understand why schools, colleges, and companies block access to Minecraft servers. In rare instances, Minecraft could even be subjected to geographical restrictions. Being such an addictive game, it can quickly consume plenty of time. However, what if you want to check your virtual world during a break? What if your campus’ wifi blocks Minecraft? Well, these problems can be easily resolved by using a VPN.
- Get around Minecraft IP bans. Every Minecraft server has certain rules. And by breaking those rules, your IP address can end on the list of banned IPs. This effectively prevents you from playing the game. Luckily for you, a Minecraft VPN will give you a new IP that fights bans most effectively.
- Get Protection against DDoS attacks. Just like any hugely popular online game, Minecraft attracts the attention of hackers and malicious individuals. There have been plenty of instances of DDoS attacks to disable a Minecraft server. Once again, a VPN will encrypt your data, minimizing the chances of you becoming a DDoS target.
How can a Minecraft VPN help you?
We’ll take this opportunity to teach you more about the VPN’s role in the Minecraft universe. Here’s what you need to know about using a Minecraft VPN.
The primary role of any VPN is to create a secure tunnel for your data. In other words, these applications allow you to connect to a secure server easily. Once that connection is achieved, you automatically get a new IP address (a virtual one). This means that a Minecraft server will see your virtual IP, while your real IP stays hidden.
Since you have a new IP, you can also unblock Minecraft in your school or office. And most importantly, your tunnel-traveling data will be encrypted, which keeps DDoS attacks at bay.
How to choose the best VPN for Minecraft?
We won’t hide the fact that you’ll find hundreds of VPN services on the web. So, the real question is – how should you know which gaming VPN to pick? What should the best service for Minecraft have? With this said, here’s what you must keep in mind:
- Low latency. Minecraft is an online game, so it’s imperative not to harm your gaming experience. You should pay attention to what kind of ping you can expect. Ideally, you want a VPN that will perform similar to your ‘naked’ connection.
- Fast performance. In general, VPNs tend to throttle the speed of your web connection. However, the best ones out there minimize this downside. To help you with this, pay attention to our list of VPNs for Minecraft that you can find above.
- Broad platform support. Minecraft is present on a wide range of platforms. This makes it essential to pick a VPN that you can install on your chosen device.
Should you use a free VPN for Minecraft?
While it’s possible, we need to highlight the fact that you should never use a free VPN for Minecraft, and here’s why:
- Free VPNs come with severe bandwidth and performance limitations. Virtually none of them can provide a smooth Minecraft experience.
- Free VPNs earn money by serving ads. Instead of getting rid of ads, you’ll be overwhelmed by them. In most cases, that will also impact your connection speed.
- Free VPNs have a hard time preventing data leaks. If your true IP address leaks during gameplay, you’ll face severe problems in the long run. Needless to say, this won’t help you with Minecraft IP blocking.
- Free VPNs collect your data. While this isn’t directly related to your Minecraft experience, you should still know about this privacy issue.
Hopefully, these reasons will be enough for you to reconsider using a free VPN for Minecraft. But if you’re adamant about trying out a free gaming VPN, be sure to check out our recommended list of the most trustworthy free VPNs.
How to bypass the Minecraft account ban?
It’s possible to get around a Minecraft account ban with a VPN. However, it depends on the type of ban that you got.
Most often, Minecraft players get an IP ban. In case you don’t want to wait, you can use a VPN to change your IP address. That should be enough to get back playing.
There are also server bans, which are much harder to deal with but might be temporary. Getting one means that your Minecraft account has been banned from the server. In this case, you can change your IP address with a VPN and create a new account.
Mojang wouldn’t ban the player’s account if she or he didn’t do anything illegal or against the rules. That would include something like using an illegal game copy. Also, server moderators can ban a user who harasses other Minecraft players or cheats.
It’s understandable when Minecraft players avoid using VPNs out of fear of increased ping and lags. However, most top VPNs are utilizing exceptional technology under the hood which makes any speed reductions practically negligible. In fact, even some free VPNs are worth trying out, as long as you choose the most worthwhile providers. In any case, a VPN provides some much-needed security and utility to any Minecraft player.
Do you use a VPN while gaming? Let us know by commenting below!
Can you play Minecraft with a VPN?
Yes, you can play Minecraft with a VPN. However, some online servers may have banned an IP that belongs to a VPN. In that case, you might have to change servers a few times before you can connect.
Does NordVPN work with Minecraft?
Yes, NordVPN works with Minecraft. It’s exceptionally fast and has over 5500 servers in 59 countries to choose from.
How do you play Minecraft with a friend on a VPN?
When using a VPN for Minecraft to play with friends, it’s important that everyone uses a different server/IP address to avoid any interference. Additionally, the host should make sure that VPN service IP addresses are not banned.
How does Minecraft know I'm using a VPN?
It’s not that Minecraft knows that you’re using a VPN. Instead, you may have trouble logging in because a different Minecraft player got banned while using the same VPN service with a particular IP address. If that’s the case, all you have to do is restart the game and reconnect to a different VPN server.