Online gamers can encounter loads of nuisances while trying to play their favorite games. For example, you can be barred from your favorite server through an IP ban or get forcefully disconnected with a denial-of-service attack. Unsurprisingly, an insanely-popular game like Minecraft is no exception to these annoyances.
Thankfully, you can employ virtual private network software to eliminate these issues. The best VPN for Minecraft will secure your connection and change your IP address in one fell swoop. Then you won’t have to worry about any attacks or restrictions getting in your way. So read on to learn which VPNs are the most worthwhile options for Minecraft.
5 Best VPNs for Minecraft
- The best Minecraft VPN9.7
- Fast, affordable, and secure VPN for Minecraft9.3
- Cheapest VPN for Minecraft9.1
- Ultra-secure Minecraft VPN8.8
- Affordable Minecraft VPN with thousands of IP addresses8.5
How to play Minecraft with a VPN
Why do you need a VPN for Minecraft?
Many online video games impose restrictions on users when they break the rules. Usually, it’s a temporary IP address ban to prevent the player from reconnecting. However, you can also encounter network or geographical limitations when playing elsewhere.
Luckily, the best VPNs for gaming can solve those issues by rerouting your connection through far-away servers. This detour provides two important benefits. Firstly, it hides your IP address and grants you a new one. Secondly, websites and video games believe you’re connecting from wherever the VPN server is placed, not your actual location.
This state of affairs is brilliant for bypassing various restrictions. For example, you can circumvent IP bans because VPN services provide hundreds of servers with thousands of IP addresses. Additionally, you won’t be affected by geo-blocking because you can easily change your location to another region. Plus, a VPN connection can unlock Minecraft on networks where it’s restricted, e.g., in schools or workplaces.
However, it’s vital to note that these perks are available strictly when using VPN industry leaders. Bare-bones providers and free VPN services don’t have the necessary resources to grant satisfactory results. Therefore, we suggest picking one of our tried and tested VPNs for Minecraft.
Overview of the best Minecraft VPNs
The best VPNs for Minecraft must include a vast treasure trove of tools and features to ensure a flawless gaming experience. Specifically, they need:
- A VPN kill switch to prevent leaks
- Modern tunneling protocols for fast connections and low latency
- Feature-rich apps for computers and mobile phones
- Affordable prices, free trials, and lengthy money-back guarantees
- 24/7 customer support for immediate problem solving
These perks are essential if you’re looking for the most frustration-free online gaming experience with a VPN. We tested numerous providers while digging for diamonds in Minecraft to uncover the top services for the game. Check them out below.
1. NordVPN – the ultimate VPN for Minecraft
24/7 live chat, Email
- Unbeatable security and privacy
- Best speeds
- Great against geo-blocking
- Only six simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the fastest and most secure VPN for Minecraft. Firstly, it provides lightning-fast connectivity with its proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol. Furthermore, thanks to the one-of-a-kind Threat Protection tool, cyberattacks won’t bother you while gaming. You can see how well the service performs by snagging the 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store.
With over 5800 servers in 60 countries, there’s bound to be a server nearby. Additionally, NordVPN has apps for all major platforms, including Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. It also unblocks not only Minecraft but streaming websites and torrenting.
Don’t forget to grab a NordVPN coupon so you can subscribe for only $2.99/month. Every subscription comes with 6 simultaneous connections. Then there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee. Simply put, this is the best Minecraft VPN that you can get.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – affordable Minecraft VPN with top-notch performance
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Swift speeds with WireGuard
- Great for gaming, streaming, and torrenting
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark offers an excellent price-to-performance ratio to gamers. For starters, one account permits unlimited device connections, making it an ideal contender for sharing with your gaming squad. Besides, it provides peak connectivity with WireGuard and excellent digital security perks. Check them out using the 7-day free trial on your preferred mobile app store.
The service offers over 3200 servers across 100+ countries, granting an impressively diverse selection of foreign IP addresses. Additionally, you can enable NoBorders mode to bypass VPN restrictions and play Minecraft on restrictive networks, for example, in school.
Prices start at only $2.30/month if you have a Surfshark discount code at the ready. Don’t hesitate to sign up because you can always turn back using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – the most frugal VPN for securing Minecraft
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Unlimited devices
- Great free version
- Exceptionally low prices
- Lacks router firmware
Go with Atlas VPN if you’re looking for the most affordable option to protect your Minecraft gaming sessions. The provider even offers a free plan if your budget is absolutely zero.
Customers gain access to a network of 1000+ servers across 42+ countries. You’ll find specialized streaming and security-focused connection options to fit your needs. Furthermore, Atlas VPN uses the fast WireGuard tunneling protocol, allowing quality gaming, streaming, and torrenting.
Use an Atlas VPN coupon code and behold as prices drop to a mere $1.82/month. Remember the 30-day money-back warranty if you have second thoughts about the product.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – pricey but effective Minecraft VPN
24/7 live chat, email
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Blazing-fast speed with Lightway
- Staggering device compatibility
- Only five simultaneous connections
Don’t mind paying extra for an ultra-secure and effective VPN? Then open up your purse for ExpressVPN. The service is fast, secure, and works with almost any device imaginable. However, it’s held back by a measly 5 simultaneous connections with one account.
ExpressVPN commands an undisclosed number of servers across 94+ countries. All hardware runs on proprietary TrustedServer technology to ensure that no data ends up long term on hard drives. The effectiveness of this practice was proven when authorities seized ExpressVPN servers and couldn’t find any user information.
Additionally, you won’t have to worry about background trackers when Threat Manager is enabled. Meanwhile, peak connection speeds are conducted with the unique Lightway protocol.
Consider perusing the available ExpressVPN coupon codes if the $6.67/month price seems like too much. Or just sign up and take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re unsatisfied.
For a deeper investigation of ExpressVPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – cheap Minecraft VPN with loads of servers
24/7 live chat
- Swift connectivity with WireGuard
- Massive server fleet
- Excellent security features
- Only seven simultaneous connections
Really concerned about running out of potential IP addresses to avoid banning? Then we recommend opting for CyberGhost and its staggering fleet of over 9000 servers. It’s also ridiculously cheap and well performing.
CyberGhost apps support WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2 tunneling protocols for facilitating stable connections. Meanwhile, the server network includes various categories for finding the best option for your intended goal, for example, gaming.
Like most VPNs, CyberGhost offers PC and mobile apps for easy configuration. Meanwhile, console gamers can utilize the coveted Smart DNS feature to unlock geo-restricted video games.
Don’t forget to grab a CyberGhost discount code to reach ultra-low $2.03/month subscription prices. Best of all, the service includes an extended 45-day money-back guarantee as a safeguard against regrets.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
6. PrivateVPN – inexpensive and reliable VPN for Minecraft
24/7 live chat
- Packed with great security features
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Highly affordable
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
PrivateVPN is a great VPN for Minecraft. Even though it only has 200 servers in 63 countries, they’re strategically placed, not overcrowded, and provide fast speeds.
Even more, buying PrivateVPN brings a thoughtful combination of security, privacy, and performance. Next, it uses bank-grade encryption, keeps no logs, and is an excellent VPN for streaming Netflix and getting around various geographical restrictions.
You can enjoy $2.00/month starting prices if you provide a valid PrivateVPN coupon at checkout. And since you can use it on up to 10 devices simultaneously, you can play Minecraft from any device. Last but not least, PrivateVPN offers a 7-day free trial if you ask customer support for it.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
How we picked the top VPNs for Minecraft
We first selected potential VPNs by their surface-level benefits before moving on to manual testing with Minecraft. Here’s a brief overview of the most important criteria we paid close attention to.
- Connection speed. Blazing-fast download speeds are vital for keeping latency low and lagging at bay. The most surefire way to ensure that is with modern tunneling protocols like WireGuard. Consult third-party VPN speed tests if you’re not convinced.
- Server variety. A wide-reaching network with loads of servers allows you to get around Minecraft IP bans and geographical restrictions easily. Plus, having servers near your actual location marginally improves connectivity.
- Security features. A VPN tunnel protects against denial-of-service attacks by default. However, you’ll need bonus anti-malware features if you’re worried about other cybersecurity threats.
- Privacy practices. Many VPN providers claim they don’t store user data while the service is enabled. However, independent audits are the best way to ensure this isn’t lip service. Bonus reliability points if the provider isn’t based in a Fourteen Eyes alliance country.
- Subscription price. A hefty price tag isn’t necessarily a hallmark of quality. Furthermore, a customer-friendly VPN should provide various options for testing the service without commitment, such as free trials and lengthy money-back warranties.
- Device compatibility. You’ll want a provider that offers feature-rich applications for your preferred gaming device. This isn’t a tall order for desktop and mobile users, but console gamers should invest in a router-compatible VPN.
- Customer support options. 24/7 customer service is essential if you ever encounter an insurmountable issue and need expert assistance.
VPN not working with Minecraft: potential fixes
Unfortunately, video games don’t always mesh well with virtual private network services. In fact, this incompatibility is common among online services that try to limit the impact of VPN software and its ability to bypass geo-blocking.
Luckily, it’s easy to resolve these issues if you know what to do. Here are some tips for getting back into your Minecraft world.
- Check for IP leaks. You won’t bypass IP bans or geo-blocking if your actual location is peeking through. Use a third-party service like ip.me to ensure the VPN connection is solid.
- Connect to another server. You’ve likely stumbled upon a blocked IP address if you didn’t find any leaking issues. Luckily, trying again with a different server is child’s play.
- Consider dedicated IP addresses. A downside of shared IP addresses is that other players can get them blocked. You can avoid others influencing your experience using VPNs with dedicated IP addresses to have exclusive access to a server.
- Enable stealth VPN. You’ll need to mask your VPN traffic if Minecraft and VPN connections are restricted on your school network. This is done with stealth VPN features that make your connection appear as regular HTTPS traffic.
- Update the software. You need to update your VPN software just like your Minecraft tools require repairs and upgrades.
- Contact customer support. No shame in getting expert assistance when your efforts are insufficient.
Should you use a free VPN for Minecraft?
Although there are plenty of free VPNs for gaming, we advise against them if possible. They’re incapable of providing the necessary connection speed or abundance of IP addresses to ensure a pleasant gaming experience. Besides that, they’re plagued by other debilitating issues, such as:
- Throttled bandwidth. Costless VPNs keep network maintenance costs low by installing speed bumps. Unsurprisingly, these lead to excessive lagging and sky-high ping.
- Monthly data caps. Another common limitation is finite VPN-powered data each month. That means you might get disconnected from the VPN during a gaming session.
- Abysmal security features. Expect constant data leaks and unreliable DDoS protection with free gaming VPNs.
- Questionable privacy practices. Many cost-free VPNs make ends meet by selling user browsing data to advertisers. Naturally, this isn’t the case with freemium services because they keep the lights on thanks to premium subscribers.
- In-app ads. A less-heinous but equally-frustrating monetization alternative among free services is the inclusion of advertisements. However, these ads can also be riddled with malware and privacy-undermining trackers.
Thankfully, you don’t have to immediately commit if you’re not 100% certain about a particular provider. Instead, you should opt for a VPN with a free trial to see how well it performs on your gaming setup. After that, a coupon code will ensure access to the best possible deals when subscribing.
How to bypass the Minecraft account ban?
It’s possible to get around a Minecraft account ban with a VPN. However, it depends on the type of ban that you got.
Most often, Minecraft players get an IP ban. In case you don’t want to wait, you can use a VPN to change your IP address. That should be enough to get back to playing.
There are also server bans, which are much harder to deal with but might be temporary. Getting one means that your Minecraft account has been banned from the server. In this case, you can change your IP address with a VPN and create a new account.
Mojang wouldn’t ban the player’s account if they didn’t do anything illegal or against the rules. That would include something like using an illegal game copy. Also, server moderators can ban a user who harasses other Minecraft players or cheats.
It’s understandable when online gamers avoid VPNs out of fear of increased ping and lags. However, the best VPNs for Minecraft utilize exceptional technology under the hood, which makes any speed reductions practically negligible. In fact, even some free VPNs are worth trying out as long as you choose the most worthwhile providers. In any case, a VPN provides some much-needed security and utility to any Minecraft player.
What do you consider the best VPN for Minecraft? Let us know by commenting below!
What’s the best VPN for Minecraft?
NordVPN is the number one VPN for Minecraft. It provides over 5800 servers for getting around IP bans and geographical restrictions. Additionally, it uses the extremely-efficient NordLynx tunneling protocol for maximum download speeds and minimal ping.
Are VPNs allowed while playing Minecraft?
Yes, VPN technology is permitted while playing Minecraft. However, you may encounter issues because other players may have blocked some VPN server IP addresses. That means you should acquire a dedicated IP address if you want continued access and security while playing Minecraft.
Can you play Minecraft with a VPN?
Yes, you can play Minecraft with a VPN. However, some online servers may have banned an IP that belongs to a VPN. In that case, you might have to change servers a few times before you can connect.
How do you play Minecraft with a friend on a VPN?
When using a VPN for Minecraft to play with friends, it’s important that everyone uses a different server/IP address to avoid any interference. Additionally, the host should make sure that VPN service IP addresses are not banned.
How does Minecraft know I'm using a VPN?
It’s not that Minecraft knows that you’re using a VPN. Instead, you may have trouble logging in because a different Minecraft player got banned while using the same VPN service with a particular IP address. If that’s the case, all you have to do is restart the game and reconnect to a different VPN server.