Mac, iPad, and iPhone device owners rely on the App Store to get various apps and services to enhance their Apple experience. But as you’d expect from an online store, some applications are unavailable due to geo-blocks.
The Apple App Store limits what kind of apps you can download depending on your region. You can circumvent these restrictions with a VPN, though.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology can save the day by changing your IP address to the region of your choice. Plus, these tools encrypt your traffic with an unbreakable cipher, making internet activities much safer. So, let’s discuss how to use a VPN on the App Store and which providers are the best for this task.
How to change the App Store country with a VPN
- Download to a premium App Store VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Install the client on your Apple device
- Select a server in the same country
- Change your Apple ID location in the settings and disable GPS tracking
- Unlock the full potential of the Apple App Store!
Shortlist of the best VPN for the App Store
- The best VPN for the App Store9.7
- Apple App Store VPN with no device limit9.3
- Versatile VPN for downloading iOS apps9.1
- Apple Store VPN with a free version8.8
- VPN for App Store with malware protection8.5
Why do you need a VPN to change the App Store country
Utilizing a VPN is the easiest way to change your country in the App Store. This is helpful in many cases, whether you’re traveling or just want to explore another region’s library.
The trick is simple – once you connect to a server, your actual IP address gets hidden under another one. And once the Store recognizes the new IP and its location, it shows you the appropriate apps. Of course, trustworthy VPNs are useful for more than this. You also benefit from:
- Utmost privacy. All traffic is routed through an encrypted tunnel, making your online activities invisible to prying eyes. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP), advertisers, and other third parties can’t view what you’re doing or collect data about you.
- Enhanced security. Adding to the previous point, you become much safer as well. Cybercriminals don’t discriminate and target anyone, especially people connected to public Wi-Fi networks. VPNs make it almost impossible to do by masking identifying data, like your IP address.
- Geo-block circumvention. Besides granting access to region-specific App Store libraries, you’ll also be able to explore different content on popular streaming platforms. Blocked websites and country-locked services also become available with a VPN.
Best VPNs to change App Store region
Since we want access to as many App Store libraries as possible, the VPN must have an extensive server fleet spanning all continents. And to ensure nothing lags or get stuck in an infinite loading loop, the fastest VPN services are definitely on the table. They offer the latest tunneling protocols like WireGuard, which facilitate low latency and excellent connectivity.
It’s also worth noting whether the provider adheres to a strict no-logs policy and includes the essential security features. These are AES-256 encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch – your brothers in arms that keep you safe under wraps. And having dedicated applications for Apple devices goes without saying.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for the App Store
24/7 live chat, Email
- NordLynx-fuelled speeds
- Excellent for P2P & streaming
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN is the best VPN for a smooth Apple App Store country change. The provider offers excellent performance and operates under a certified zero-logs policy, so you retain utmost anonymity. Plus, users get a robust feature package, useful for more than just a virtual jump to another region.
You can easily find a suitable connection point when scouring the massive network of 5800+ servers in 60+ countries. And since the proprietary NordLynx protocol is available, nothing will take more than a second to load. Another notable aspect of the fleet is that all standard hardware is RAM-only – they are incapable of storing data long-term.
As for other entertainment venues, there’s no streaming platform geo-block NordVPN can’t break through. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+ are just a few of the many services you’re able to explore freely. Do it on macOS & iOS – the provider has dedicated, intuitive applications for both.
Apply a NordVPN coupon during checkout to pay no more than $3.49/month for this App Store VPN with 6 simultaneous connections. There’s no risk in subscribing since the 30-day money-back guarantee protects the plans. You can also test it beforehand with the 7-day free trial, but you’ll need access to the Google Play Store for that.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Apple App Store VPN with no device limit
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Top-notch security tools
- All hardware is RAM-only
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Change your region in the App Store in just a few clicks with Surfshark VPN. It doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, comes with various perks, like Camouflage and NoBorders modes, and the provider refuses to participate in subscriber surveillance. The metaphorical cherry on top is that there’s no device limit, so you can secure everything you have in the house.
Network-wise, you’re getting the largest country coverage in the industry with 3200+ RAM-only servers in 100+ countries. You won’t need to worry about apps taking too long to download either – the trusted WireGuard protocol has everything covered. Software Defined Networking, introduced with the Nexus update, also ensures low latency.
Besides the App Store, Surfshark VPN easily unlocks the doors to region-locked libraries of all popular streaming platforms. Country-specific websites like BBC iPlayer, Sky Sports, and Hotstar aren’t off the table either. Watch them on your MacBook, iPhone, and iPad.
Coming at $2.30/month (or lower with a Surfshark VPN code), this VPN for the Apple App Store gets the job done efficiently. Conveniently, you can take it out for a spin with the free 7-day trial and see it yourself. And if you enjoy it, commit, knowing there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee just in case.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – versatile VPN for downloading iOS apps
24/7 live chat
- Broad device support
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Defeats geo-blocks with ease
- Lacks WireGuard
PrivateVPN is another great VPN for all your App Store needs. As the name suggests, all your online activities will remain anonymous, and the provider offers powerful tools just for that. Most users enjoy the Stealth VPN feature, which bypasses firewalls even in countries with draconian internet censorship.
Don’t be fooled by the fleet’s moderate size of 200+ servers scattered across 63+ countries – it gets the job done surprisingly well. Plus, PrivateVPN operates all hardware, eliminating the risk of third-party tampering. While the lack of WireGuard is hard to overlook, the OpenVPN tunneling protocol doesn’t disappoint performance-wise.
When you’ve had enough of scrolling through foreign App Store libraries, explore the web freely. Whether streaming, torrenting, or accessing blocked websites, this VPN easily circumvents restrictions. And with 10 simultaneous connections under the belt, subscribers can do so on more than just their Apple devices.
Activate a PrivateVPN coupon before finalizing the purchase to pay as little as $2.00/month for this all-rounder App Store VPN. Either commit from the get-go with the 30-day money-back guarantee or sate your curiosity first with the 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – Apple Store VPN with a free version
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Streaming optimized servers
- Streaming optimized servers
- No router configuration
Some of the cheapest VPNs astound with their superb performance – Atlas VPN is no exception. There’s no device limit, no user data logging happening behind the scenes, and plenty of features to utilize. You can even try the free version to change the App Store region, albeit the country list is a bit narrow, with the only options being the US and the Netherlands.
Subscribers will be exploring country-specific App Store libraries in no time with a substantial fleet of 1000+ servers in 42+ countries. Furthermore, great connectivity and lag-free browsing are guaranteed with the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol. Want to enjoy movies and TV shows in crisp 4K quality? Simply connect to one of the dedicated streaming servers.
Atlas VPN is geared toward phone users, so the appropriate macOS & iOS applications are lightweight and easy to navigate. Subscribers also benefit from enhanced protection, thanks to Tracker Blocker. It shields you from third-party trackers, malicious software, and intrusive ads.
$1.82/month won’t hurt your wallet, but if you think it’s still too much, try using Atlas VPN codes for a potentially better deal. The free application is also up for grabs; just keep in mind that you only get 5 GB of data per month. And, of course, going premium is always an option – the 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to get a refund.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – VPN for App Store with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- VIPRE antivirus software
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish is the right tool for any job, whether changing the App Store location or enhancing your online experience. The provider has several things going for it – a verified no-logs policy, free antivirus software, extra Wi-Fi protection, and more. Besides, you can utilize the VPN on as many devices as you want.
2200+ self-owned servers across 51+ countries are nothing to scoff at, granting access to many App Store libraries. And you can continue surfing the web as usual, with no annoying lag to slow you down. All is made possible thanks to the WireGuard protocol.
Since IPVanish is a more security-focused service, you’ll find all the protection essentials and a few neat extras. We’re talking about such perks as the OpenVPN Scramble feature, which makes VPN traffic indistinguishable from regular traffic. Quite handy if you want to bypass network-level website & platform restrictions.
Pay only $2.99/month to unlock your App Store’s full potential on any Apple device. Just don’t forget to apply an IPVanish coupon to get a better price. Sadly, there’s no free or trial version to take advantage of, but at least subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
How we selected VPNs for the Apple App Store
It’s not enough to pick any iPhone VPN and hope for the best. Certain aspects shouldn’t be overlooked, and we’ve outlined them below for your convenience:
- Country count. It’s worth prioritizing services with extensive country lists since they get you access to more than just a few App Store libraries. Preferably, the VPN offers lots of connection points across all continents.
- Superb performance. Naturally, routing all internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel affects speed. And it can be detrimental to your experience if everything slows down to a crawl. The latest tunneling protocols like WireGuard counteract this by ensuring low latency no matter what country you connect to. You can also check what you’re getting with a VPN speed test tool.
- Security essentials. You won’t be able to change the region on the Apple App Store if you’re completely naked (metaphorically). For this reason, high-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection are mandatory. These features mask all identifying data and keep it from leaking in all cases, even when the VPN stops working.
- Ensured privacy. You shouldn’t entrust your privacy to any App Store VPN either. Besides giving subscribers tools to evade surveillance, the provider shouldn’t be logging data as well. Look for VPNs with a zero-logs policy and whether it’s been audited by an independent entity.
- Versatility. A VPN helps you do more than just virtually travel to another region. Some offer features that enhance browsing, P2P file-sharing, streaming, even online games. If they are something you want, definitely check what other perks are on the table.
- Price-to-feature ratio. Don’t pay an exorbitant price for a service that barely does anything else apart from encrypting your internet traffic. Budget VPNs are viable if they include everything you need, plus valuable extras.
How the App Store detects your location
Most probably noticed by now that simply changing your Apple ID country doesn’t affect what apps you get in the App Store. It’s because the Store pinpoints exactly where you are by checking two additional factors. These are:
- IP address. Your IP address reveals where data originates from and contains your general geographical whereabouts.
- GPS location (mobile devices only). The GPS module in your device also reveals your precise geographical location by triangulating your position via satellites.
When it comes to GPS tracking, this is a fairly easy problem to solve. You can turn it off by going to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. There’s a switch next to the Location Services option – toggle it off, and the GPS module will stop tracking you.
IP addresses are a bit trickier since you can’t just turn them off in the settings. This is where tools like proxies and VPNs come in – they let you connect to an encrypted server, hiding your IP in the process. Then it appears as if you’re actually in another country, opening the doors to many geo-locked services.
How to change the App Store country on different devices
The process of switching to another App Store location varies depending on which Apple product you wish to do so. We provide instructions for each case – pick the one that applies to you, along with the best VPN for the job.
Change the App Store country on iPhone or iPad
- Sign up for an iOS-compatible VPN. Those looking for a sleek, streamlined application will find NordVPN appealing.
- Find the VPN in the Apple App store and download it
- Pick a VPN server in any country you want
- Disable your device’s GPS tracking
- Switch your Apple ID region
- Explore any foreign App Store library you want!
Change the App Store country on MacBook or iMac
- Subscribe to a VPN suited for macOS. You get an extensive server list and plenty of robust features with NordVPN.
- Download the client from your VPN provider’s official website
- Select a server in the country of your choice
- Open the App Store and click on your Apple ID at the bottom of the screen. Then hit View Information and Change Country or Region.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions, and enter the required Payment Information
- Restart the App Store to view a fresh selection of apps and services!
How to change the iTunes Store location
The iTunes Store, just like the App Store, also restricts what you can download or purchase depending on your region. Thankfully, utilizing a trusted VPN service also works in this case.
- Get a premium VPN. NordVPN excels at breaking through geo-restrictions.
- Download the appropriate software for your Apple device and install it
- Connect to a VPN server in your desired region
- Change your Apple ID location and disable GPS tracking in the Settings menu
- Open the iTunes Store and enjoy a larger selection of content!
Can’t change App Store location with a VPN: solutions
So, you followed all the steps – disabled GPS tracking, changed the country of your Apple ID, and booted up the VPN. And yet, for some reason, you’re still getting the same old applications on the App Store. What gives?
First, let’s make sure the App Store itself isn’t causing issues:
- Check whether you have any active subscriptions purchased through the store and if so, cancel them
- Make sure there’s no Apple ID balance left – you can transfer it to your account, though it will take 1-3 business days
- Leave any Family Sharing group if you’re in one (but don’t leave your actual family)
If everything is in order, let’s move on to troubleshooting the VPN. One or several things might be happening:
- Your actual IP address or DNS requests are leaking
- Your device’s web cookies are revealing your location
- Your GPS location doesn’t match your VPN region
- The VPN software is outdated
- The VPN isn’t capable of circumventing geo-blocks
Doing the following could solve the issue:
- Perform an IP and DNS leak test, and check whether the VPNs security features are enabled
- Delete your browser’s cookie cache and reboot your device
- Make sure you’ve disabled your phone’s GPS tracking feature or enable GPS Spoofing if your VPN offers this
- Confirm that you’ve downloaded the latest version of the VPN, and if not, do so
- Contact the VPN’s customer support for professional troubleshooting
None of the suggestions above helped and you still cannot change the country in the App Store? Well, it’s more than likely your current VPN service just isn’t cut out for the job. We recommend switching to an App Store VPN that won’t cause unnecessary headaches.
Using a free VPN to change the App Store country: will it work?
Is it possible? Technically, yes. Do we advise it? No, and the reason is pretty clear-cut – most free VPNs aren’t safe. There are numerous cases of costless services extensively collecting information about their users and selling that data to third parties. Kind of goes against the purpose of this technology.
And if that wasn’t enough, free VPNs tend to be unreliable due to subpar tools. Your IP address will be leaking all over the place, making bypassing restrictions nigh impossible. Then throw strict data caps, throttled speeds, and overcrowded servers into the mix, and you’re signing yourself up for a bad time.
Not all providers are bad to the bone, though, and you can find some diamonds in the rough – freemium VPNs. This type of service offers a free tier alongside a premium, meaning paying subscribers keep the service afloat, hence no need for data logging. One of them even made our list, Atlas VPN, but if you want another option, Proton VPN won’t disappoint either.
Apple limits what their product owners can do, but it is possible to give yourself more breathing room. In the case of expanding your App Store library options, changing your location certainly does the trick.
The best tool for the job is a VPN. Providers like NordVPN make it quick and easy – pick a server in another country, connect, and voila. And you also benefit from enhanced privacy while doing anything online, from browsing to gaming. What’s not to like?
Maybe you know other quick tricks to change your App Store location? Let us know in the comments below!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Mac
Best VPN for iPhone
Change TikTok location
Change location on Snapchat
Change location on Bumble
Change location on your iPhone
Change country Google Play store
Is it legal to change the App Store country?
Yes, it’s completely legal to change your App Store region if you want to. It doesn’t violate the Terms of Service, and you can even get access to region-specific applications. Purchasing something can be a bit tricky if you don’t have an appropriate credit card, but using an App Store gift card solves this issue.
Can you change App Store region with a VPN?
Yes, you can change your App Store location with a VPN. All you have to do is download the VPN, connect to the country of your choice, change your Apple ID location to the same one, and you’re good to go. Check out the best App Store VPNs for a smooth experience.
What is the best VPN for changing my App Store location?
NordVPN is the best VPN to change your App Store country. It offers an extensive server list, robust tools that will keep your actual location from leaking, and lightning-fast speeds for quick downloads.
Does VPN work for the App Store?
Yes, VPNs work with the App Store and it’s the easiest way to access foreign application libraries. Simply connect to a VPN server in another country, change your Apple ID location to match it, and the Apple App Store will show you services relevant to the region.
What does VPN do on an iPhone?
Using a VPN on your iPhone secures your online traffic & hides your IP address. Routing your data through remote VPN servers, like NordVPN’s RAM-only servers, prevents your ISP and other third parties from accessing sensitive information. Plus, you can bypass geo-blocks to access unavailable content.
Does the iPhone have a built-in VPN?
iPhones only have a built-in VPN client allowing you to connect to a VPN server. However, it’s not reliable. You need to use a premium VPN app to stay secure over the internet. NordVPN has a dedicated iOS app that you can install and connect to with a single tap.
Can you get a free VPN on iPhone?
Yes, you can get a free VPN on iOS, but it’s not recommended. Free services usually are ineffective and even collect user data to sell it and earn some income. Instead, you should opt for a reliable VPN service that offers streamlined iPhone apps and high-end features to protect you online.