Germany is well-known for enforcing strict laws regarding user rights to online privacy. While surfing the net is becoming less intrusive surveillance-wise in this country, the number of websites the citizens can access is slowly shrinking. Due to recently passed legislation, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) can block any unwanted content in Germany.
“Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) help you bypass internet restrictions.”
Changing your IP address and encrypting all traffic allows you to visit previously unavailable pages. What’s more, you can stream blocked videos and be safe from cyber threats. The best Germany VPNs we’ve gathered below unlock all kinds of possibilities and more.
5 Best Germany VPN: shortlist
- The best VPN for Germany9.6
- Germany VPN with extra features9.4
- VPN for Germany with a generous device limit9.1
- Germany VPN with malware protection8.7
- VPN for Germany with a free version8.5
How to install a VPN for Germany
- Subscribe to robust Germany VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 60% off!
- Download the software on your device
- Select a server closest to you
- Enjoy unrestricted access to the web!
Why do you need a VPN for Germany?
Germany is still open to monitoring your online activities despite spearheading harsh anti-data retention laws. The country is even a part of the Fourteen Eyes intelligence-sharing alliance, where members can freely request and get user information.
Then there’s the whole security aspect, especially when using public Wi-Fi. These networks are unprotected and swarming with hackers waiting for unsuspecting victims. Bad actors can steal sensitive data, inject malware into devices, and launch other attacks through them.
Some content on YouTube is unavailable thanks to licensing and the GEMA, the government-mandated performance rights organization. Certain adult websites are barred thanks to recently passed laws, too. Lastly, torrenting copyrighted material is illegal, and punishable with hefty fines if caught. What’s worse, the line is so blurred that it’s easy to download the wrong thing accidentally.
Robust VPNs take care of these issues by masking your IP and all activities associated with it. Simply connecting to a server hides you from the prying eyes of the government, ISPs, and malicious people. Even using a public network becomes relatively safe since you’re virtually invisible.
Streaming enthusiasts will be overjoyed with the various foreign Netflix libraries and US-only services like Hulu and HBO Max becoming available with just a click. And German nationals who happen to be abroad can stay in touch with their favorite media like MySpass, DW, and Zattoo. Even exciting Bundesliga matches are within your grasp.
Best VPNs for Germany: overview
The Germany VPN you choose in the end depends on your priorities. Nevertheless, it should meet certain requirements for the best experience. You need:
- a kill switch and military-grade encryption
- IP and DNS leak protection
- a zero-logs policy
- top-notch speeds coupled with a sizable server fleet
- as many Germany servers as possible
- support for all major operating systems
If you also prioritize streaming and torrenting, the fastest VPNs are your top bet for these activities. We’ve rounded up the 5 best providers for Germany that are more than well-suited.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Germany
- Plenty of servers in Germany
- Unparalleled speeds
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN is our #1 VPN for Germany for several reasons. Being based in privacy-friendly Panama and maintaining a strict no-logs stance plays into that. Besides the usual security measures, it also comes with the Double VPN feature and obfuscated servers for extra secrecy.
Thanks to a network of 5400+ servers in 60+ countries (including 263 in Germany alone), the speeds are outstanding. The proprietary NordLynx protocol certainly performs well. The standard servers are RAM-only, so no data is being collected or retained.
NordVPN allows P2P on all servers, which will be appreciated by frequent users. Moreover, you can unblock foreign Netflix libraries and platforms like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and HBO Max. The handy split tunneling tool will save your bandwidth along the way by routing the VPN connection just through the apps you choose.
Coming at $3.29/month after applying a NordVPN coupon, you can secure many devices with 6 simultaneous connections. You can get a taste of the services with the 7-day free trial, available via the Google Play Store. Subscribing is safe as well with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Germany VPN with extra features
- No device limit
- WireGuard-fuelled speeds
- Smart DNS for streaming
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark has few rivals that can best it when it comes to cybersecurity, and you’ll be happy to find that it’s not lacking in the privacy aspect as well. It operates from the Netherlands, a country with no data retention laws. What’s more, the mix of a zero-logs policy and all RAM-only servers makes sure you’re always anonymous.
The network consists of 3200+ servers in 65+ countries and is constantly expanding. Germans will be happy to find Berlin and Frankfurt am Main on the list. The speeds remain superb no matter where you’re connected due to the WireGuard tunneling protocol. And the Nexus upgrade adds a significant performance boost as well.
You’re safe and undetectable no matter what you do with CleanWeb, Rotating IP, Camouflage, and NoBorders mode. Users can utilize the Bypasser tool to secure their torrent client or any other app exclusively with the VPN connection, while Smart DNS unblocks everything, from Netflix to Amazon Prime Video.
Get it for $2.30/month with our Surfshark discount code to enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections for maximum security. The 7-day free trial is available for Android and iOS users. Take it out for a spin or subscribe risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – VPN for Germany with a generous device limit
- Owns all servers
- Great for streaming
- Excellent price-to-feature ratio
- macOS and iOS apps have fewer features
Despite the compact scope, PrivateVPN offers all the tools you need at an incredibly low price. You can secure up to 10 devices per account and make it look like you’re not even using a VPN in the first place with Stealth VPN. The less than perfect location – Sweden – shouldn’t bother you too much since it doesn’t log any of your data.
200+ servers in 63+ countries bring outstanding performance to the table, with Berlin and Frankfurt connections at your service. It’s boosted because PrivateVPN buys internet capacity straight from the source – IP transit providers. Furthermore, it owns all hardware, eliminating snooping third parties from the equation.
Port forwarding and SOCKS5 proxies are available for comfortable torrenting on all servers. Streaming enthusiasts should also get ready for 4K video quality on Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and other popular platforms.
Available for $2.00/month if you utilize a PrivateVPN coupon, it’s one of the cheapest VPN providers to take advantage of. Test it out with the 7-day free trial version or subscribe and use the 30-day money-back guarantee if need be.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Germany VPN with malware protection
- Unlimited connections
- Bare-metal servers
- No anonymous payments
Being US-based doesn’t stop IPVanish from ensuring total user anonymity. Its independently-audited zero-logs policy and various privacy tools like the OpenVPN Scramble can attest to that. No device limit also plays into this as it means you can secure virtually everything you own.
The fleet consists of 2000+ servers spread across 50+ countries, always guaranteeing a connection point near. There are 56 servers in Germany alone. Moreover, everything’s powered by WireGuard, so tuning into Bundesliga will be as smooth as butter.
Comfortable file sharing is possible with P2P traffic being allowed in countries where torrenting is legal. And split tunneling will route your VPN traffic on the torrent client-only, saving up data. Catching up on your favorite shows isn’t an issue as well because Netflix, Disney+, and other streaming platforms are within your grasp.
Have it all at $3.99/month with an IPVanish discount code. And don’t be disappointed that there is no free trial version – you can always get everything back with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – VPN for Germany with a free version
- Unlimited devices
- Best free version
- Unblocks streaming
- No router configuration
If you aim to pay as little as possible, Atlas VPN should be on your radar. A subscription nets you unlimited simultaneous connections and plenty of handy features, like MultiHop+ and SafeBrowse. The US jurisdiction doesn’t mean much since this provider doesn’t collect or store any data about you.
The sizable network of 750+ servers in 37+ countries is here to fulfill all your needs with plenty of German IPs. You’re not bound to experience lag or potato-quality videos, too, since the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol takes care of everything related to speed.
Those itching for new content to sink their teeth into will be delighted by unblocked Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max libraries. And with P2P enabled on all servers, you can share anything you want with your buddies quickly and easily.
$1.99/month is pocket change considering what you’re getting. You’ll have to apply our Atlas VPN coupon first, though. Take advantage of the free version if you’re comfortable with the 10GB/month data limit and having a one-device limit. The paid tier is always available risk-free, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
What should I look for in a VPN for Germany?
The Germany VPN you end up picking isn’t limited to the ones we’ve listed above. When considering other candidates, make sure they meet as many requirements as possible:
- Global presence. Besides having servers near you for excellent performance, there should be plenty of connection points in Germany. That way, you enjoy the best of both worlds by switching servers whenever you need it.
- Utmost anonymity. VPNs with a zero-logs policy are your best bet, and they get brownie points if it’s been audited by an independent entity. It’s crucial if you’re subscribing to services based in the Fourteen Eyes alliance or other privacy-unfriendly regions.
- Wicked speeds. Can’t enjoy fast torrenting and buffer-free streaming if the service offers sub-par speeds at best. Research whether they have the latest protocols that guarantee excellent connectivity. You can always compare providers with our VPN speed test tool.
- Tight security. The point of having a VPN is protection, so certain features must be included no matter what. We’re talking about a kill switch, IP and DNS leak protection, and AES-256 encryption.
- Reasonable price. Don’t be wary of cheaper VPNs just because of their price tag. You’ll be surprised how much better these perform than their expensive counterparts.
- Broad compatibility. You want dedicated apps for all major operating systems. Support for streaming devices like Roku or Amazon Fire Stick is a nice touch. If there’s a lack, at least you should be able to install the VPN on the router.
- Customer support. Specialists can help you with basic questions and weird errors alike. It’s nice when you can contact them anytime you need via 24/7 live chat or consult the knowledgebase at least.
How to get a German IP address
- Download a robust VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN.
- Install the client on your PC, mobile, or router
- Clear all browser cookies and restart your device
- Connect to a server in Germany
- Congrats – now you have a German IP!
Getting a German IP address – alternatives
People aren’t strictly limited to VPNs when it comes to changing your IP address. There are several viable options, and we’re going to cover the most popular ones. Of course, you have to keep in mind that they don’t offer the same overall benefits as a VPN does.
Proxy servers act as intermediaries between you and the websites you’re connecting to. The page you’re accessing interprets the proxy as the visitor, keeping your actual IP address hidden. You can choose from free or paid ones, and there are many types to consider according to your needs.
The problem with this method is that it works on an application-level only. Plus, there’s no encryption – a proxy just reroutes the traffic of an app or browser. Your government and ISP can still see what you’re doing. To add salt to injury, free ones go out of their way to collect your information. Getting a robust VPN is way better as it secures the device on all levels.
How to set up a proxy server on your PC:
- Go to the Windows Settings menu – you can do this by clicking on the gear icon on the Start menu
- Then go to Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy
- In the Manual Setup section, toggle the Use a Proxy Server option On
- Here you have to enter several things: the Address field requires the proxy server name or IP address, while the Port field requires the proxy port number
- Check the Proxy server requires password box if the server has a password. Enter your account name and password in the respective fields.
- Click Save
How to set up a proxy server on your phone:
- Go to your device’s Settings
- Tap the Wi-Fi option
- Tap and hold the name of your network
- Select Modify Network and then choose Advanced Options
- Tap Manual
- Change the proxy’s settings: first, enter the hostname of the server you want to use (format – proxy.example.com) or its IP address, then enter the port number
- OR choose Proxy Auto-Config. You’ll have to enter a value into the PAC URL field (format – https://www.example.com/proxy.pac).
- Tap Save
The Tor Browser is a free, open-source browser considered one of the safest ones you can use. It was specifically designed to combat surveillance and is very popular among whistleblowers, journalists, and human rights activists. It includes state-of-the-art encryption, coupled with various privacy settings you can tweak.
Again, this isn’t the perfect solution. Yes, it will change your IP address instantaneously and let you roam the interwebs no matter the country, but you’ll find the experience annoyingly slow. Streaming will be a hassle as well, and you can thank all the extra encryption for that. Plus, it’s just a browser – your device remains vulnerable. You still have to boost it with VPNs compatible with Tor.
Can I use a free VPN for Germany?
We don’t recommend using a free VPN for Germany despite how tempting it is. True, it won’t cost you a penny, but you’ll be paying with your privacy instead in most cases. A majority of free services aren’t as reliable as you think. They tend to:
- Include trackers that log activities
- Offer 3-4 servers, which are overcrowded
- Facilitate speeds that manage to be slower than molasses
- Include a bit of malware in your client, as a treat
If having a couple of extra dollars means surviving till another month, though, we get you. In that case, the next best thing is getting NordVPN’s free trial version. It lasts a week, so there’s plenty of time to do what you have to. Hey, maybe you’ll end up subscribing when you have money to spare.
Still not an option? Try the free versions of Atlas VPN and ProtonVPN. They come from trustworthy providers who are transparent about their policies and how they operate. If you’re looking at other options, remember to check the Terms of Service and user reviews to gouge their reliability.
In spite of various data retention regulations, Germany is no stranger to monitoring its people. Content unavailability due to licensing and website blocking doesn’t constitute a truly free internet either. The additional cybersecurity risks further cement the fact that you have to take matters into your own hands.
The best VPNs for Germany help with all the issues covered in our article. Providers like NordVPN hide your online identity while opening doors previously unavailable to your location or laws. Just choose a service according to your needs.
Have you used a VPN for Germany before? Why did you need it? Tell us all about it in the comments!
Is VPN legal in Germany?
Yes, it’s legal to use a VPN in Germany as there are no laws against it. If you want the best experience possible, we recommend using the Germany VPNs we’ve outlined above.
What is the best free VPN in Germany?
We strongly recommend not to use free VPNs because they pose a risk to your privacy and security. If you don’t have any money to spare, we suggest looking at the best free VPNs that are trustworthy.
What is the best VPN for Germany?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Germany, hands down. It offers unparalleled tools for maximum protection and anonymity, lightning-fast speeds, and unblocks region-locked content.
Which is the best VPN server in Germany?
Connect to the nearest one to you because this will ensure low latency and great speeds. The VPN itself will choose the best one for you once you click to connect to Germany.
Nadin has been tinkering with computers and gadgets for as long as she can remember. She has extensive knowledge about various topics, including IoT, Linux, digital security, and more. Nowadays, she works as an IT network professional and writes helpful guides in her free time.