Saudi Arabia is a complex country as far as the internet goes. Due to widespread government censorship, many websites and foreign platforms are blocked across the board. While it isn’t as bad as in, for example, the United Arab Emirates, it’s still a pain both for citizens and people passing through.
The easiest way to sidestep these restrictions is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). You essentially anonymize all online activity by routing all internet traffic via an encrypted tunnel. And when you are virtually untraceable, you can access and do whatever you want. So, let’s see which Saudi Arabia VPNs get the job done.
Best VPN for Saudi Arabia: shortlist
- The best VPN for Saudi Arabia9.7
- Saudi Arabia VPN with top-notch privacy9.4
- Well-rounded VPN for Saudi Arabia9.2
- Saudi Arabia VPN with a great free version8.8
- Reliable VPN for Saudi Arabia8.4
How to download the best VPN for Saudi Arabia
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Download the VPN client and install it
- Connect to a server closest to you for the best performance
- Explore the internet without restrictions!
Why do you need a VPN for Saudi Arabia?
Despite being one of the most digitally connected countries in the world, Saudi Arabia censors most of the internet. Anything deemed illegal or harmful by the state gets axed, ranging from foreign content to citizens voicing their dissenting opinions.
VoIP services like WhatsApp and FaceTime are completely geo-blocked, and secure messaging apps like Telegram report performance issues. Then there are numerous news, political, and human rights websites that seemingly don’t exist in this country. And it’s easy to guess the fate of more risky pages that show adult content, facilitate gambling, etc.
Having utmost security & privacy online is crucial when you live in such internet censorship and surveillance-heavy country. And thankfully, VPNs ensure these by masking all online traffic, letting you view and explore the internet in its full glory.
Somehow, these services haven’t been put on the chopping block, but it’s getting pretty close. Currently, Saudi Arabia doesn’t ban this technology, choosing to restrict access to some provider websites instead. And you’re better off utilizing trustworthy VPN services while you still can.
Best VPNs for Saudi Arabia: detailed list
- NordVPN – top VPN for Saudi Arabia
- Surfshark VPN – Saudi Arabia VPN with no device limit
- PrivateVPN – VPN for Saudi Arabia with a great price-to-feature ratio
- Atlas VPN – Saudi Arabia VPN with dedicated streaming servers
- IPVanish – VPN for Saudi Arabia with malware protection
Not every Saudi Arabia VPN is worth its salt. The provider must offer the essential security feature package that guarantees your data remains hidden at all times. And you also need assurance there’s no surveillance happening behind the scenes. VPNs with strict no-logs policies come into play here.
Extensive server networks and excellent performance go without saying, but don’t forget broad device compatibility. It, coupled with multiple simultaneous connections, lets you secure every device you have in the household. Additional tools like Stealth VPN that help bypass Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) are a nice touch, too.
1. NordVPN – #1 VPN to use in Saudi Arabia
NordLynx, OpenVPN, IKEv2
24/7 live chat, Email
- Wicked fast thanks to NordLynx
- Obfuscated servers to bypass censorship
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
Hands down, the best VPN for Saudi Araba is NordVPN. Hailing from privacy-friendly Panama, it operates under a certified no-logs policy, making it excellent for keeping you safe under wraps. Besides the usual security features, the provider also offers RAM-only standard servers that cannot store any data long-term.
Network-wise, there are plenty of connection points to pick from the fleet of 5500+ servers in 59+ countries. Connectivity won’t be a problem either, as the in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol ensures superb speeds. And if you need a boost for bypassing firewalls, obfuscated servers are primed and ready.
What makes NordVPN so great are its powerful features. There’s Threat Protection for a safer browsing experience and Double VPN for twice the encryption. You can also use Tor Over VPN servers which route traffic via the Tor network for extra anonymity. The cherry on top is the fact subscriptions can be purchased with cryptocurrencies.
Apply a NordVPN coupon to get this Saudi Arabia VPN for just $3.09/month. It comes with 6 simultaneous connections, and curious cats can test it via the free 7-day trial (via the Google Play Store). Commitments are risk-free, of course, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – highly-secure Saudi Arabia VPN
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- All hardware is RAM-only
- Loads of features at a low price
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark VPN is a low-cost Saudi Arabia VPN with no device limit. The service is versatile, making it great for regular browsing and circumventing various geo-blocks. And while its zero-logs policy hasn’t been audited, the provider would have difficulty tracking user activities if they wanted to. All hardware runs on RAM modules only.
A subscription nets you access to the largest network in the industry – 3200+ servers across 95+ countries. Quickly connect anywhere outside Saudi Arabia and never experience any lag. How is that possible? With WireGuard and Software Defined Networking, introduced with the Nexus update. Both ensure low latency for the best speeds.
Regarding bypassing DPI, Surfshark offers Camouflage and NoBorders modes to battle censorship. You can also turn on CleanWeb to block malware and user trackers whilst surfing the web. And if these are not enough, get the Surfshark One package with an antivirus, a private search engine, and a breach detector.
$2.21/month is pocket change for such a great VPN for Saudi Arabia. Just don’t forget to try different Surfshark VPN codes for a better deal. See what you’re getting beforehand with the 7-day free trial version (via Google Play and Apple App Stores) or dive in right away. The 30-day money-back guarantee has everything covered.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – VPN for Saudi Arabia with broad device compatibility
OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP
24/7 live chat
- High Quality Network for great speeds
- Stealth VPN for circumventing firewalls
- Versatile features
- Lacks WireGuard
If you’re looking for a quality Saudi Arabia VPN that doesn’t cost a lot, PrivateVPN is it. As the name suggests, everything you do online will remain anonymous, thanks to the robust tools included here. What’s more, it’s especially great at unblocking foreign content, making it possible to stream, torrent, access VoIP services, and more.
Don’t let the modest network of 200+ servers in 63+ countries scare you off. It gets the job done and does it well, all thanks to the trusted OpenVPN protocol and High Quality Network (HQN). This provider differs from others by buying internet capacity straight from the source, resulting in better speeds since there are fewer routing hops.
As for features, PrivateVPN offers Stealth VPN for breaking through even the toughest internet firewalls. Then you can utilize Application Guard, which terminates chosen applications in case the VPN stops working. And if P2P means anything to you, you’ll be happy to find port forwarding and SOCKS5 proxies in the client.
Subscribe for as little as $2.00/month after entering a PrivateVPN discount code. All subscriptions are protected by the 30-day money-back guarantee and include 10 simultaneous connections. Just sate your curiosity first with the free 7-day trial version.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – affordable Saudi Arabia VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Anonymous payment options
- Limitless connections
- No router configuration
Atlas VPN is a solid choice for Saudi Arabia that doesn’t log user data and comes with no device limit to boot. You’ll quickly get access to any content you want and won’t have to shell out for it either since it’s one of the cheapest VPNs out there. The provider also offers a free version with a 5 GB/month data cap and 2 locations (the US and NL).
The fleet includes 750+ servers scattered across 37+ countries, so there are plenty of places to connect to. Some servers are optimized for streaming, letting users enjoy TV shows and movies in crisp 4K quality. Of course, the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol also ensures excellent performance no matter what you’re doing online.
With Tracker Blocker, malware, intrusive ads, and user trackers will be a thing of the past. Atlas VPN also offers MultiHop+, which routes traffic via multiple VPN locations for extra untraceability. Want to make your subscription purchase anonymous? Pay with Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Ether, Monero, or Ripple.
$1.83/month isn’t much for such a great Saudi Arabia VPN (or try for a lower price with Atlas VPN coupons). Utilize the free version until it’s not enough, and switch to premium with no risks. The 30-day money-back guarantee lets you get a refund, after all.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – VPN for Saudi Arabia with no virtual servers
WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, L2TP/IPSec
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- No device limit
- VIPRE antivirus software
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
Surveillance-wary folk can rest easy with IPVanish, a service that doesn’t restrict simultaneous connections. This VPN for Saudi Arabia adheres to a verified zero-logs policy and comes with the necessary security essentials. Plus, the company owns all hardware, eliminating any potential third-party meddling with the servers.
Speaking of which, the sizable network consists of 2000+ servers across 50+ countries. It’s more than sufficient for private browsing within Saudi Arabia and quite fast. It shouldn’t come as a surprise since the WireGuard tunneling protocol is available. And the fact servers are located in their respective countries also plays a part.
IPVanish offers the OpenVPN Scramble feature for evading internet censorship. Besides that, users also get VIPRE antivirus for some real-time protection at no additional cost. And if you need to hide specific app activity, simply utilize split tunneling.
Subscriptions begin at $3.33/month and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Applying an IPVanish coupon before finalizing the purchase can also potentially lower the price. Sadly, there’s no free or trial version to take advantage of before committing.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
What should I look for in a VPN for Saudi Arabia
Not every provider can offer optimal performance or break through the tough firewalls in Saudi Arabia. That’s why it’s crucial to pick the right service for the job carefully. Here are some of the aspects worth paying attention to:
- Utmost privacy. You’re paying to evade surveillance, not to give away your information to another third party. Hence, the Saudi Arabia VPN must operate under a strict no-logs policy. Better yet if it has been audited by an independent entity and passed the test with flying colors.
- Ensured data protection. Only go for secure VPNs that include the mandatory features – a kill switch, AES-256 encryption, and IP & DNS leak protection. These are your brothers in arms that make sure none of what you’re doing online is visible.
- Unblocking capabilities. The service must be robust if you want access to specific apps like WhatsApp or file-sharing websites like The Pirate Bay. Bypassing Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) and firewalls is also easier with the inclusion of such tools as Stealth VPN.
- Global coverage. Having servers in as many countries as possible lets you view virtually any foreign content you want. It also means there will be suitable connection points close by, which plays a significant role in guaranteeing superb performance.
- Optimal performance. What kind of tunneling protocol you pick also affects VPN speeds. Naturally, selecting the latest ones like WireGuard nets lighting-fast connectivity. Just double-check what you’re getting with a VPN speed test tool, as the same protocol works differently depending on the provider.
- Compatibility. A worthwhile VPN for Saudi Arabia should offer dedicated, user-friendly applications for popular operating systems. Another vital facet is the ability to manually configure the VPN on your router for full household device coverage.
How to use a VPN in Saudi Arabia
- Sign up for a trustworthy VPN service. NordVPN offers top-notch privacy-ensuring tools.
- Download the application on your phone or computer
- Pick a server that is closest to you and connect to it
- Perform an IP & DNS leak test to ensure your actual IP address and DNS requests aren’t visible
- Enjoy unrestricted internet!
Should I use a free VPN for Saudi Arabia?
We don’t recommend using free VPNs in Saudi Arabia because they don’t ensure complete safety & privacy. And you can’t have that in a nation where viewing or downloading prohibited material can get you fined or thrown in jail.
Some of the more serious issues with free VPNs include but are not limited to:
- Outdated or non-existent encryption methods
- Subpar security features that are more likely to leak sensitive information, like your IP address
- Inability to bypass firewalls and Deep Packet Inspection (DPI)
- Extensive data logging and selling collected info to third parties
- In some cases, injecting VPN clients with all kinds of malicious software
It’s not worth jeopardizing yourself just because you don’t want to pay for a premium service. Still, we understand that not everyone can shell out – we have another, better solution.
Take advantage of VPNs with free trial versions. Although for a limited time, you’ll be able to access the complete feature and server list for all your needs. And when one trial ends, sign up with another provider and continue benefiting from extra anonymity.
Are VPNs legal in Saudi Arabia?
As we’ve mentioned previously, Saudi Arabia hasn’t outlawed VPNs. But because this technology can be used to view content banned in the country, many provider websites are inaccessible. The government even blocks VPN servers if the firewall detects them.
A total of 30% of Saudi Arabian internet users employ these privacy tools to bypass geo-blocks and access the web anonymously. And no one has been punished for using a VPN as of yet.
Still, illegal activities remain illegal even when you engage in them under the protection of a VPN. They are not 100% foolproof, and you can get in serious trouble if caught breaking the law. Do so at your own risk – and make sure you’re up to date regarding the newest VPN legislation changes in the country.
Censorship in Saudi Arabia – what content is restricted
When it comes to censorship, anything goes. Even seemingly innocent opinions about the country or the royal family get scrubbed from the net if they get misconstrued as criticism. But, of course, the problem is bigger than that. Here’s but a fraction of content your average Saudi Arabia citizen can’t access:
|Category||Restricted websites & applications|
|VoIP & messaging||WhatsApp, FaceTime, Telegram, Messenger, Snapchat, Viber|
|Gambling||PokerStars, Stake, Roobet, bet365, Bovada|
|Pornography||XVideos, PornHub, xHamster, XNXX, OnlyFans|
|File-sharing||The Pirate Bay, Torrentz, Rarbg|
Besides these, you also can’t:
- Express your political opinion if it doesn’t align with what the government does
- Criticize Islam, the royal family, or promote atheism
- Advocate for human rights in Saudi Arabia
- Publish anything that promotes “sexual immorality,” e.x., a photo of a couple hugging
- Post LGBTQ content
Streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+ are available in Saudi Arabia. However, what you can watch is extremely limited, as content that goes against Islam values is blocked.
Thankfully, you can circumvent these restrictions with the right Saudi Arabia VPN. They easily bypass the country’s strict firewall and let you browse websites not permitted in the region.
There are many options when it comes to bypassing the extensive censorship of the internet in Saudi Arabia. All the different VPN services offer diverse feature sets and price points, even when you curb your expectations for a specific region.
After reviewing the relevant information on these VPN solutions, we’ve selected NordVPN as the best VPN for Saudi Arabia. The excellent balance of affordable prices, robust security features, and functionality are hard to beat when it comes to privacy solutions.
If you’re in Saudi Arabia, which of these VPNs have you used before? Did we miss any great VPNs for Saudi Arabia? Let us know in the comments below.
Is it safe to use a VPN in Saudi Arabia?
Yes, using VPNs in Saudi Arabia is safe as these privacy tools aren’t banned there. Nonetheless, the government restricts access to some VPN provider websites. Furthermore, engaging in illegal activities while under the protection of a VPN is still unlawful. Do so at your own risk.
Can I use a free VPN in Saudi Arabia?
We do not recommend using free VPNs for Saudi Arabia because they are unreliable. Most don’t offer proper encryption or the right tools to hide your online activities. Instead, you’re better off picking one of the premium Saudi Arabia VPNs that can ensure utmost privacy & anonymity.
What is the best VPN to use in Saudi Arabia?
NordVPN is the best VPN for Saudi Arabia. It operates in privacy-friendly Panama and offers the latest secure tunneling protocols, robust features, obfuscated servers for hiding VPN usage, and anonymous payment methods.
How do I use a VPN in Saudi Arabia?
First, you subscribe to the best Saudi Arabia VPN. Then you download the VPN client on your device and install it. Once finished, pick the server closest to you or in the desired country and connect. Perform an IP & DNS leak test before exploring the web, and you’re good to go.