While there are plenty of browser extensions touting themselves as the best at ad blocking, few live up to their promises. Most can’t seem to catch the most annoying advertisements, while others slow down your internet. Worst case scenario, there are not many ad blockers compatible with your web browser.
Getting an ad-blocking VPN is a better choice. They not only take care of pesky (and sometimes dangerous) ads but also secure your online activities. A reliable provider will make you invisible to snoopers, unblock restricted content, and let you browse in peace. So, let’s look at the best ad-blocking VPNs and how they can help you.
Best ad-blocking VPNs: shortlist
- The best VPN for ad blocking9.6
- Ad-blocking VPN with top-notch security9.5
- Affordable VPN with an ad blocker9.0
- Versatile ad-blocking VPN8.9
- Security-first VPN for blocking ads8.5
What makes the best ad blocker VPN?
While many premium VPN providers include an ad-blocking feature, the quality of it can leave you disappointed. Not to mention the service itself might not live up to industry standards. When looking for the best of the best, we adhere to specific criteria:
- Anti-malware. The VPN not only defeats advertisements left and right but includes measures to battle malicious software. Better yet if it prevents you from visiting suspicious websites and blocks other threats like phishing.
- Anti-user trackers. Various pages have a vying interest in your browsing habits because they can cater their ads to your liking. A key to stopping ads is blocking the user trackers used to monitor your online behavior.
- Robust features. A VPN must cover you on all fronts. Thus, we can’t ignore the latest encryption ciphers, secure tunneling protocols, leak protection, and kill switches.
- No-logs policy. Services with no-logs policies indicate that you won’t become a marketing target to them, either. These don’t collect any data about you, ensuring total user confidentiality.
- Broad compatibility. Most want ad-free browsing on more than one device, so getting a VPN with multiple-device support is essential.
Best VPNs with ad blocking: detailed list
- NordVPN – top adblock VPN with robust security measures, extensive device compatibility, and an independently-audited no-logs policy
- Surfshark VPN – great VPN for blocking ads with no device limit, global server coverage, and responsive customer support
- Atlas VPN – free ad-blocking VPN with affordable premium plans, mobile-friendly apps, and stable connectivity
- CyberGhost – VPN for ad blocking with specialty servers, unlimited simultaneous connections, and a reliable kill switch
- Proton VPN – ad-blocking VPN with plenty of security-focused features, great privacy measures, and robust leak protection
Our recommended ad-blocking VPNs effectively disable advertisements, work with multiple devices, and don’t slow down internet connections. Plus, these are some of the most secure providers out there, meaning top-notch safety and utter anonymity are guaranteed.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for blocking ads
24/7 live chat, Email
- Blocks ads, user trackers, and malware
- Excellent speeds with NordLynx
- Independently audited and secure
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
NordVPN’s Threat Protection blocks malicious and intrusive ads before they even load. Plus, it gives you extra privacy by disabling website trackers and ensures your safety by preventing visiting shady websites. Adding to that, the feature scans your downloads for malware and instantly deletes harmful ones.
The neat thing about Threat Protection is that you don’t have to be connected to a server for it to work. And there’s a weekly summary of everything that was blocked, letting you review its effectiveness. This tool is fully available on Windows and macOS, while a Lite version is offered for Android and iOS devices, along with Linux and browser extensions.
As for NordVPN itself, the provider hails from Panama and adheres to a verified no-logs policy. Your internet ventures are shielded by robust encryption, reliable leak protection, and even two kill switches, not to mention all the neat extras like Double VPN. Finally, you’ll get to use the in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol, the fastest in the industry.
Ads won’t be a problem anymore with NordVPN, now 68% off with 3 extra months free. Trying a special discount code might also net you a better price. Either way, a 30-day money-back guarantee protects the subscriptions, so there’s no risk in committing. Or testing the service first is also an option with a 7-day free trial.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – adblock VPN with great connectivity
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Bypasses geo-blocks with ease
- Highly affordable
- Some features cost extra
Surfshark offers CleanWeb for all your ad-blocking needs. It primarily disables advertisements and user trackers but can also detect malicious software. Furthermore, the tool helps you protect personal information by recognizing and instantly blocking phishing attempts.
CleanWeb is available on all major OS, including Surfshark’s browser extensions. You won’t have to suffer through ads on Android TV and Amazon Fire TV devices as well. And don’t be surprised if everything starts loading a bit faster – loading all those pop-ups takes a toll, after all.
Surfshark operates under a verified no-logs policy and comes with tons of perks. We’re talking about MultiHop for double the encryption, GPS spoofing (for Android), and split tunneling (called Bypasser). This provider also boasts a great implementation of WireGuard, ensuring minimal connection speed drops and stable connectivity.
You can get this ad-blocking VPN for 83% off, plus 1 month free. And don’t forget to check out Surfshark coupons for better offers. The 30-day money-back guarantee has your back, just in case, and there’s an option to test the waters beforehand with the free 7-day trial.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – fast and affordable VPN for ad blocking
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Unlimited device connections
- Solid features
- No router support
Another great ad-blocking VPN is Atlas VPN. Its SafeBrowse feature ensures your online ventures aren’t riddled with ads or secretly monitored by third-party trackers. Moreover, it blocks you from entering websites known for scamming people or hosting malicious software.
Currently, SafeBrowse is available on Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows devices. It can easily be found by navigating to the Assistant tab on any Atlas VPN app. Just keep in mind that the VPN has to be turned on for this feature to work.
Atlas VPN doesn’t disappoint in the security department, either. Besides the ad blocker, subscribers benefit from a Data Breach Monitor, MultiHop+, and split tunneling (Android-only). Finally, SafeSwap servers regularly rotate your IP address without dropping the VPN connection.
Atlas VPN comes with a steep 85% discount with 3 months extra. We also recommend exploring the discount code page for other sales. While there is a great free version, it’s quite limited, with a 5 GB/month data cap and 3 server locations. But taking the service out for a spin scot-free is still possible due to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. CyberGhost – adblock VPN with robust features
24/7 live chat
- Massive server list
- Affordable and effective
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Only 7 simultaneous connections
CyberGhost throws its hat into the competition with Content Blocker. The feature takes care of ads, malicious sites, and user trackers and forces websites to load in HTTPS. It’s a great choice for stopping ads and preventing you from making unsecure online connections.
Content Blocker is available on Windows, macOS, Android, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. It can be toggled on in the Privacy settings on CyberGhost’s apps. The only caveat here is that the feature works only with the WireGuard tunneling protocol. So, you’ll have to turn on the VPN.
CyberGhost is based in Romania, has an audited no-logs policy, and includes several useful features. There’s a free SOCKS5 proxy for boosting torrenting and split tunneling for routing VPN traffic through select apps only. Finally, the provider offers dedicated servers for streaming, P2P, and online gaming.
The current best CyberGhost offer is 84% with 3 months extra. Of course, perusing various other discount codes is also an option. If you’re ready to commit, your purchase will be insured by the 45-day money-back guarantee. A free 7-day trial is available on iOS for those interested in testing it out.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
5. Proton VPN – speedy VPN for blocking ads
Email, knowledge base
- Most secure free plan
- Swiss-based, audited, and open-source
- Fast connectivity over long distances
- Best plan is quite expensive
Then there’s Proton VPN with NetShield. It blocks ads and online trackers by utilizing DNS filtering. Additionally, it prevents you from visiting websites that host malicious software. All three are achieved by checking the domain requests of the pages you want to access against a database.
NetShield can be activated on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Fire TV apps. Users even have the option to select the level of protection they want. The feature has the option to block only malware, block malware along with ads and trackers, or be turned off altogether.
Proton VPN is all about privacy and security. Subscribers benefit from Secure Core (double encryption), split tunneling, Stealth VPN, and even Tor over VPN. Furthermore, the combination of WireGuard and the proprietary VPN Accelerator significantly boosts connectivity.
Currently, Proton VPN can be bought 50% cheaper or even less if you try the special coupons. And as usual, the 30-day money-back guarantee ensures you can get a refund just in case. Thanks to the free version, using a service without paying a dime is an option, but it only has 3 server locations, with P2P and streaming disabled.
For a deeper investigation of Proton VPN, read our Proton VPN review.
Ad-blocking VPNs: comparison
|Provider||NordVPN||Surfshark VPN||Atlas VPN||CyberGhost||Proton VPN|
|No-logs policy||No-logs, audited||No-logs, audited||No-logs||No-logs, audited||No-logs, audited|
|Ad-blocker is available on||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, browsers||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, browsers||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
How we tested ad-blocking VPNs
We thoroughly checked multiple VPN services with ad blockers and assessed how well they blocked ads on various websites. Besides this main feature, our team also paid attention to these criteria to ensure you also get the best VPN experience:
- Security and privacy. The ablock VPN should operate from a privacy-friendly jurisdiction. Or have an independently-audited no-logs policy to ensure it doesn’t spy on users. The feature list must also include the essentials – AES-256 encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch.
- Great performance. Protection shouldn’t come at the cost of your internet speed. Our picks utilize the latest tunneling protocols to ensure you can still browse, stream, torrent, and play online without being hindered by lag or long loading times.
- Global coverage. Having an extensive server network is beneficial in two ways. First, it lets you access a broader range of foreign content. Second, you’ll get plenty of connection points near you, guaranteeing better performance.
- Neat extras. Additional features were also considered, such as double VPN, split tunneling, VPN traffic obfuscation, and specialty servers. It makes the VPN more versatile, allowing you to use it for a variety of online activities, not just browsing.
- Price. A great ad-blocking VPN doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. Our top recommendations are cheap, feature-rich, and come with money-back guarantees, just in case.
NordVPN proves to be not only the best ad-blocking VPN but an excellent service in general. It prevented access to risky websites, instantly blocked ads, and kept our browsing experience safe during testing. Moreover, the service is packed with high-quality features and facilitates minimal connection speed drops. And you get all of this for an affordable price.
NordVPN’s Threat Protection feature takes care of pesky ads, user trackers, and malicious websites. It even scans your downloads for malware. You can get it for a steep price, along with other VPN benefits of NordVPN!
How to use VPN for ad blocking
Best VPNs with an ad blocker for iPhone and Android
The best adblock VPN for iPhone and Android users is Surfshark. Its ad blocker feature is called CleanWeb, and it effectively takes care of adware both on browsers and applications. Besides disabling user trackers, the feature is capable of detecting malware and phishing attempts.
Naturally, ads and pop-ups slow down your internet and consume a significant amount of data every time. Blocking those pesky advertisements on phones will save up some mobile data, not to mention make browsing faster. And you can benefit from this with Surfshark’s CleanWeb for only $2.30/month.
Are VPNs safer than ad blocker extensions?
Yes, VPNs are safer than ad blocker extensions for several reasons. First and foremost, browser extensions only work on browsers and nothing else. Most aren’t that great at disabling ads, and even if you do discover a great add-on, it won’t necessarily be available on your preferred browser.
On the other hand, VPNs support a wide range of devices on the OS level, meaning your whole gadget is protected. Adding to that, you get a full suite of security features, not just an ad blocker. Most VPN services also include malware blockers, leak protection measures, tools to bypass internet censorship, and more.
Finally, a VPN encrypts your whole internet traffic. Your IP address gets changed in the process, ensuring no one can snoop on your online activities. It means you’re free to access restricted websites, torrent without getting caught, and browse the web without being surveilled.
Do we recommend a free VPN for ad blocking?
No, simply because free VPNs usually don’t include ad blockers in their toolkits. And even if they did, the feature isn’t likely to work as intended. Moreover, going for a completely costless service is dangerous through and through. Most free providers are notorious for:
- Collecting and selling user data (primarily to advertisers)
- Ironically, having apps filled with annoying ads
- In rare instances, injecting their clients with malicious software
- Strict data, speed, and server limitations
- Subpar security features that will put you at risk rather than protect you
If you’re that strapped for cash, a better alternative is combining a free trial and a money-back guarantee of our recommended ad-blocking VPNs. For example, you can use NordVPN scot-free for over a month by taking advantage of the 7-day free trial and the 30-day money-back guarantee. This way, you benefit from an ad blocker without sacrificing security.
VPNs are great tools for increasing your online security and ensuring total anonymity. And with ad-blocking features in tow, they are also effective against all kinds of advertisements. You just have to pick a service with the best track record.
We’ve found NordVPN to be the most robust ad-blocking VPN. It defeats ads, disables user trackers, prevents you from visiting malicious sites, and even scans downloads for malware. Furthermore, the service itself is great, with top-notch security measures, excellent global coverage, and affordable pricing.
What’s your go-to VPN for ad blocking? Let us know in the comments below!
Can VPN block ads?
Not all VPNs can block ads. These tools are primarily created to secure your internet traffic and change your IP address. But some VPN providers offer ad blockers as additional security features for those who have a need for them.
Does NordVPN offer ad blocking?
Yes, NordVPN offers an ad blocker called Threat Protection. It disables ads, blocks user trackers, and even scans files for malicious software. Furthermore, it prevents you from visiting shady websites that might contain malware.
Do I need Ad Block if I have a VPN?
Yes, if you want to block ads. VPNs themselves can’t block advertisements, only protect your online ventures. Alternatively, some VPNs offer ad-blocking features. Here are our recommended picks.
What’s the best ad blocker VPN?
The best ad blocker VPN is NordVPN. Available on all major OS, Threat Manager blocks advertisements, disables user trackers that monitor your browsing habits, and prevents you from accessing risky websites. Moreover, you don’t have to be connected to the VPN for it to work.
Are ad blockers illegal?
No, using ad blockers is perfectly legal. Internet users are free to utilize these tools to disable online advertising to make their browsing experience more pleasant.