Facebook is the largest and most popular social media website currently available. It’s used by over 2 billion people worldwide for various purposes, including chatting with distant friends and staying up to date with current events. In essence, it’s a medium for sharing information between users quickly and efficiently.
However, some governments and workplaces restrict access to Facebook due to its free flow of information and procrastination potential. Luckily, savvy users can utilize a Facebook VPN (or Virtual Private Network) to improve their privacy on the notoriously nosy website. With it, your online activities are hidden with top-grade encryption, preventing censorship and snooping.
Get one of our recommended VPNs for Facebook and enjoy the widely-used social media platform without limitations!
Best VPN for Facebook: shortlist
- The best VPN for Facebook9.6
- Facebook VPN with exceptional privacy9.4
- Well-rounded VPN for Facebook9.2
- Facebook VPN with malware protection8.7
- Facebook VPN with a free version8.5
How to change your location on Facebook with a VPN
- Subscribe to a privacy-enhancing VPN. Our favorite option is NordVPN, available with a 68% discount!
- Download the VPN on your preferred Facebook browsing device
- Connect to a country where Facebook isn’t blocked
- Scroll through Facebook without restrictions!
Why do you need a VPN for Facebook?
Facebook has become inseparable from many aspects of everyday life for many people. Besides mundane activities, it’s also crucial for businesses and informing people about breaking news. For example, the platform has been instrumental in exposing the numerous crimes against humanity that have happened in the recent Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Unsurprisingly, the aggressive government blocked Facebook and other Meta products, such as Instagram. Therefore, Russian citizens are left without independent news sources and instead with state-sponsored propaganda.
Of course, Facebook tends to be blocked in other scenarios too. Workplaces and schools typically add social media to the list of restricted websites on local networks to reduce procrastination and maximize productivity. Additionally, your online habits remain exposed to ISPs and potential hackers if you’re not using a virtual private network.
As such, a VPN is vital if you wish to maintain access to the internet as you enjoy it right now. Plus, you can even get a taste of the web as it is on other continents. For example, using a VPN to curb geo-blocks and change your Netflix region is a great way to access content that’s typically unavailable to you.
Best VPNs for Facebook: overview
Unblocking Facebook with a VPN is no easy task since the social media platform has an unfathomable number of users. Plus, Facebook occasionally blocks VPN IP addresses since they are frequently used to spread misinformation anonymously.
Therefore, choosing a reliable provider with solid security and privacy features is crucial. Most importantly, you’ll need a VPN with:
- A vast server network
- VPN kill switch
- IP and DNS leak protection
- No-logs policy
- Features against malware and phishing attacks
- Secure tunneling protocols
- 24/7 customer support
- Ability to get around geo-restrictions
Naturally, the set of features ultimately depends on your intended use-cases. That’s why we’ve selected five VPNs for Facebook with different strengths and weaknesses. Read their descriptions below and choose one to access Facebook from anywhere! Best of all, each one comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee for risk-free testing with various services.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Facebook
24/7 live chat, Email
- Swift and secure
- Independently audited multiple times
- Based in Panama
- No router app
The best VPN for keeping Zuckerberg off your data is NordVPN. It’s been audited multiple times to ensure air-tight security and proper privacy practices.
First off, NordVPN users can choose from 5500+ servers in 59+ countries. Additionally, the majority of those servers utilize RAM-only technology to prevent long-term data storage on hard drives. Meanwhile, swift and private connections are conducted with the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol.
Besides the default settings, customers can enable Obfuscated servers to circumvent VPN restrictions on workplace or school networks. On the other hand, Threat Protection will block malicious ads, phishing attempts, and even viruses.
You can get started with this extraordinary service by claiming the NordVPN free trial on the Google Play Store. Otherwise, pricing starts at $2.99/month when providing a NordVPN coupon code at checkout.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Facebook VPN with exceptional privacy
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Infinite connections
- Loaded with features
- Fast and reliable connections
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Privacy enthusiasts should pick Surfshark as their Facebook VPN of choice. It’s jam-packed with confidentiality-enhancing features and performs flawlessly in a wide variety of scenarios.
For starters, the VPN is equipped with 3200+ RAM-only servers across 100+ countries. With WireGuard, connectivity between you and the server remains swift and uninterrupted.
Surfshark customers can select from an extensive library of bonus features. For example, CleanWeb blocks ads and trackers while browsing the web. Meanwhile, NoBorders mode grants access to networks that normally block VPN traffic. On the other hand, Rotating IP will periodically switch your IP address for maximum privacy.
Potential customers can get a slice of this VPN by grabbing the free Surfshark trial on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. After that, subscription prices begin at $2.05/month if you have a Surfshark coupon code at your disposal.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – well-rounded VPN for Facebook
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- Reliable geo-unblocking
- Good for streaming and security
- Lacks WireGuard
Every price-conscious consumer should have PrivateVPN on their radar when browsing for Facebook VPN options. It’s affordable, secure, and versatile.
PrivateVPN makes do with an efficient network of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. The service guarantees top-notch performance by maintaining the fleet without third-party server providers’ assistance. Meanwhile, reliable connections are facilitated with the age-old OpenVPN protocol.
Besides security, PrivateVPN excels at getting around geographical restrictions by popular streaming services. It does so by providing dedicated servers for numerous platforms, making the VPN easy to use when unblocking specific content. For example, you can pick from options for Netflix, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and many more.
A glance at PrivateVPN is available via the 7-day free trial on the official website. Alternatively, a long-term subscription begins at $2.00/month when providing a valid PrivateVPN discount code.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – Facebook VPN with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- Blazing-fast speed
- Ransomware and malware protection
- No anonymous payment options
As the name suggests, IPVanish makes your digital traces disappear from Facebook and other internet companies. Plus, it will protect your device against ransomware and malware.
Firstly, IPVanish runs a network of 2000+ bare-metal servers in 50+ countries. The service retains complete control over the fleet, ensuring zero interference from third parties and potential interlopers. Plus, it guarantees crazy-fast connections with WireGuard.
Besides Facebook, IPVanish is frequently used for enhanced protection while torrenting. Split tunneling allows users to customize the VPN tunnel and select which apps need exclusive security. Moreover, a SOCKS5 proxy is available for setting up the torrent client with alternative methods of IP address masking.
Sadly, there’s no way of grabbing an IPVanish free trial. Instead, buyers get a 30-day money-back guarantee with each subscription. Plus, prices begin at only $3.99/month when utilizing an IPVanish discount code.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – Facebook VPN with a free version
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Free version
- Affordable and well-performing
- Wide variety of features
- No router configuration
Atlas VPN is one of the rare providers that strikes the perfect balance between price and performance. It’s lightning-fast and great for getting around geographical restrictions.
Users can choose from over 750 servers in 37+ countries. Besides standard servers, some have SafeSwap technology, which will alternate your IP address intermittently without interrupting the VPN connection.
Well-rounded security with Atlas VPN is guaranteed thanks to a multitude of available features. For starters, Data Breach Monitoring keeps an eye out for data leaks with your personal information and informs you if any action is needed. Meanwhile, enhanced encryption can be enabled with MultiHop+ for tunneling through multiple servers.
Although there’s no free trial, the app’s free version makes up for it. It comes with certain limitations but grants adequate security when logging into Facebook occasionally. Meanwhile, prices start at a mere $1.83/month when taking advantage of an Atlas VPN coupon.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to change Facebook location on devices
Facebook has expanded tremendously over the years and is available on a wide variety of devices. Thankfully, VPN services are equally versatile and compatible with various platforms. However, getting the two working together is a bit different with each combination. We’ll provide you with guides for the most widely used devices.
How to change your location on Facebook on PC
Changing your location with a VPN on PC is straightforward since most services provide dedicated apps for this platform and the various operating systems.
- Choose a reliable Facebook VPN. My #1 choice is NordVPN
- Download the app for your operating system from the provider’s website
- Install the software and log in
- Connect to a country where Facebook is available
- Enjoy the countless perks of Facebook on your PC!
How to change your Facebook location on Android or iOS
Altering the location of your mobile device is trickier because of the integrated GPS functionality. Furthermore, you’ll need a new Google account or Apple ID if Facebook is unavailable on the app store in your region.
- Purchase a trustworthy virtual private network. Our go-to choice is NordVPN, the best VPN overall
- Download the VPN app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store
- Log in with your account and connect to a different country
- Create a new Google account or Apple ID and select the VPN location as your country of origin
- Go to the app store and download the Facebook app
- Sign in with your account and enjoy censorship-free access!
How to change Facebook location on the marketplace
Facebook marketplace is an excellent way to sell unused things and purchase affordable goods from regular people. However, the list of visible items depends on your current location.
Therefore, maximizing your shopping experience requires changing your Facebook marketplace location with a VPN. Here’s how to do that:
- Subscribe to a well-performing VPN. We can always rely on NordVPN, available for 68% off!
- Install the VPN on your favorite Facebook-browsing device
- Connect to a country where you’d like to see what’s available on the marketplace
- Log in and browse the new selection of marketplace goods!
How to change Facebook location on dating
If you’re tired of changing your location on Tinder and wish to spice up your dating life differently, consider Facebook Dating. It’s an online dating alternative that allows you to match with Facebook users in your area. If that’s not enough, you can use a VPN to reach the most exotic locations and potential partners across the globe.
- Pick a VPN with a vast server network. My favorite online wingman is NordVPN
- Download the VPN app on your mobile or desktop device
- Reroute your connection through a different country
- Go to Facebook Dating and match with partners abroad!
How to unblock Facebook: video tutorial
Accessing the numerous corners of the web requires unique approaches. Learn how to unblock Facebook and other online services by visiting the VPNpro YouTube channel!
What should I look for in a VPN for Facebook?
What you’ll need from a VPN for Facebook depends on your intended use case. However, a few crucial aspects should receive special attention when picking a VPN to access Facebook and keep your online communications private.
- Privacy. It’s a well-known fact that Meta doesn’t respect user privacy. It tracks our online activities, builds a profile about us, and sells that information to advertisers. Therefore, it’s vital to pick a confidential VPN that nullifies these negative aspects of Facebook. Choose a provider that’s not based in a Five Eyes country and adheres to a strict zero-logs policy.
- Servers. You’ll get the most out of a VPN that boasts an expansive server network. It ensures top-notch performance, reliable geo-unblocking, and an abundance of IP addresses.
- Security. Facebook is a breeding ground for scammers and online swindlers. Prevent online phishing and dangerous files from affecting you by using a service with the necessary safeguards.
- Speed. A VPN inevitably reduces your browsing speed when redirecting your connection through a remote server. Minimize this impact by choosing a fast VPN provider with the latest tunneling protocols. Alternatively, see how it performs on third-party VPN speed tests.
- Price. Since Facebook is free and blatantly collects your data, you need a premium VPN service that doesn’t engage in such activities. You can find the best deals for the most reliable providers by browsing the available VPN coupons.
- Compatibility. A virtual private network is best when it covers the widest range of devices in your household. We recommend opting for a service with as many apps as possible. Even better if you know how to configure a VPN on routers.
- Customer support. There’s the possibility that you’ll run into VPN issues beyond your understanding. In that case, it’s wise to reach out to customer support, ideally via live chat for quick problem-solving.
Can I use a free VPN for Facebook?
As mentioned earlier, Facebook offsets the fact that it’s free by selling user browsing data to advertisers, government agencies, and more. This practice isn’t unique to social media but to free products in general. Therefore, it’s best to avoid combining Facebook with free VPN providers. After all, no-cost virtual private networks have other downsides as well, such as:
- Monthly or daily data caps
- Connection speed limits
- Small server networks
- Subpar security features
- Inability to get around geographical restrictions
Under extreme circumstances, you could try using free plans of trustworthy providers. Some of the best options include Atlas VPN and Proton VPN. Alternatively, experience the full set of features by grabbing a limited-time VPN service free trial.
Facebook not working with a VPN?
Like many other online platforms, Facebook is working hard to minimize the impact of third-party software on its platform. These efforts include blocking VPN IP addresses and other methods of deterrence. For users, this results in Facebook not working with VPN software as they would expect. In such cases, a few solutions are worth a try:
- Reconnect to a different server
- Update the VPN software
- Switch to a different browser
- Clear the browser’s cache and cookies
If nothing works, try contacting your VPN provider’s customer service. They’ll know which servers work best with Facebook and what other solutions are available.
Where Facebook is blocked
Facebook is completely blocked only in a handful of countries, including:
- North Korea
Russia has recently joined the list because of its assault into Ukraine. Meanwhile, there are instances of other regions restricting access to Facebook temporarily, for example, during the 2011 Egyptian protest or since 2021 in Myanmar.
Additionally, some governments block certain posts or users which don’t comply with local laws. As such, it’s crucial to have a VPN at the ready, even if social media is currently accessible in your home country. If not, here’s a quick guide on unblocking Facebook in your country.
How to unblock Facebook in your country
- Subscribe to a privacy-respecting VPN. We recommend NordVPN, the best overall VPN
- Install the VPN software on your favorite social media device
- Connect to a country where Facebook isn’t restricted
- Enjoy Facebook without limitations!
Although it appears that Facebook is ubiquitous and accessible everywhere, it’s actually banned in certain countries like the UAE and Russia. Therefore, a well-performing Facebook VPN is vital for continued access to friends and the free flow of information. Plus, it grants much-needed privacy from nosy advertisers and the data-hogging habits of Meta.
What’s your go-to method of maintaining privacy while using Facebook and other Meta products? Share your privacy tips by leaving a comment!
Can I use a VPN for Facebook?
Yes, there are usually no limitations for using a VPN with Facebook. However, shared IP addresses could end up blocked by the social media service due to abuse. As such, the most sure-fire way of securing Facebook is by using VPN providers with dedicated IP addresses.
Is it legal to use a VPN with Facebook?
Yes, there are no laws against using a VPN with Facebook in most parts of the world. However, some countries (e.g., China, India, Iran, North Korea) block numerous social media platforms, including Facebook, to stifle free speech. As such, it’s impossible to access the website without a virtual private network.
What is the best VPN for Facebook?
The best VPN for Facebook is NordVPN. It provides air-tight security, world-class privacy, and mind-blowing performance. Additionally, customers can add a dedicated IP address with their subscription to ensure exclusive and unhindered access to the platform at all times.