ITV is a British television channel and home to various popular TV series, shows, news, and even live sporting events. UK residents can access the extensive library online for free on ITV Hub.
As you can imagine, access from foreign countries to ITV is forbidden. This is cumbersome for foreigners and traveling Brits alike. Thankfully, a VPN (Virtual Private Network) can remedy this inconvenience in no time at all. Read on to find out how!
Stream ITV hub in the USA with VPN – short guide
Here’s a primer on how to watch ITV from the USA or anywhere else:
- Subscribe to a VPN with servers in the UK. Our favorite option is NordVPN, currently available for 57% off!
- Install the VPN and connect to any server in the United Kingdom
- Visit the ITV website and watch whatever you want!
Why do you need a VPN to watch ITV?
ITV is a national British television network reserved exclusively for UK residents. Citizens can access the variety of content on ITV Hub, which employs geo-restrictions and blocking IP addresses outside the UK. That means that users from the USA or any other country can’t watch shows on ITV.
Luckily, a VPN can grant you access to a UK IP address by redirecting your connection through a remote server in the country. That way, you can log into ITV Hub and watch all the series that are typically unavailable to you. You’ll also gain the benefits of AES-256 encryption, which ensures total privacy from ISPs (Internet Service Providers) and other potential onlookers.
Best VPN services for ITV
Not every VPN will work with IPV Hub as certain criteria need to be met. Plus, a worthwhile VPN should provide adequate protection against various other online dangers. Overall, a service isn’t worth considering unless it has:
- A VPN kill switch
- An extensive server fleet
- Secure tunneling protocols
- DNS and IP leak protection
- An affordable price
- Ability to get around geographical restrictions
- Fast connection speeds
- 24/7 customer service
Therefore, we’ve selected three VPN providers that fit these requirements and will work great for watching ITV from the USA or anywhere else in the world.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for ITV
24/7 live chat, Email
- Excellent security
- Flawless privacy practices
- Fastest speeds
- Great server list (5400+ servers in 60 countries)
- Custom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more
- Great app design and website
- 24/7 live chat and good knowledge-base
- Fair price
- Awesome for Netflix
- Good for torrenting
- Great for China and other restricted countries
- Only six simultaneous connections
Our number one choice for ITV is NordVPN. It’s known as the fastest VPN provider, yet it’s pretty affordable and provides outstanding performance and security.
First off, NordVPN is equipped with 5400+ servers across 60+ countries. Furthermore, these servers are bare metal, meaning they aren’t used for any other purpose besides facilitating the VPN connection. Plus, the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol ensures extraordinary connection speeds.
Besides ITV, NordVPN can unlock an extensive array of different streaming services. For example, it works great with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and many more. Additionally, SmartPlay ensures easy access to geo-restricted content on any device. Plus, the service is compatible with Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, and Kodi.
NordVPN is a solid choice in terms of privacy as well. It has jurisdiction in privacy-respecting Panama, ensuring zero data sharing with nosy governments. Additionally, it went through multiple third-party no-logs policy audits. If that’s not enough, you can pay for the service anonymously using cryptocurrencies.
A single NordVPN account allows you to connect six different devices simultaneously. If you need more, it’s possible to install the VPN on a router. Then all router-connected devices are blessed with a VPN connection.
If all of that seems just right, you can get a free 7-day NordVPN trial on the Google Play Store. You’ll need an Android device, but there are no other limitations on the service. After that, pricing starts at $3.49/month and each subscription is secured with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – ITV VPN with unlimited connections
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Strong encryption
- Excellent performance
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Almost zero logs
- 24/7 live chat
- Unlocks Netflix and other platforms
- Great for torrenting
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Supports plenty of platforms and devices
- Cutting-edge Nexus feature
- No-logs policy hasn't been audited
Another excellent alternative for unblocking ITV is Surfshark. It’s affordable, provides unlimited simultaneous connections, and has top-notch privacy.
For starters, Surfshark runs a network of 3200+ servers in 100+ countries. Furthermore, it’s an exceptional provider with 100% of the fleet running on RAM-only server technology. Best of all, WireGuard is available for mind-blowing connectivity and performance.
In addition to ITV, Surshark is an excellent choice for unblocking HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, and countless other streaming services. Plus, the VPN is compatible with a wide array of devices thanks to the Smart DNS feature. For example, you can utilize the VPN with gaming consoles, smart TVs, various media players, and much more.
Private content viewing is guaranteed since Surfshark is based in the Netherlands. Furthermore, it went through multiple security audits to ensure air-tight security and server network integrity. Privacy enthusiasts can further minimize personal data exposure by purchasing a subscription anonymously with the help of cryptocurrencies.
Another stand-out feature of this VPN is the Surfshark One package. It’s an optional bonus that improves the service with protection against viruses, a private search engine, and data breach monitoring.
Lastly, you can test out the service risk-free by getting a 7-day Surfshark trial on the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. It doesn’t include Surfshark One, but there are no other restrictions. Otherwise, subscription costs start at $2.30/month and are packaged with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – the cheapest VPN for ITV
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Very cheap
- Unlimited devices
- Great for streaming
- Allows torrenting
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Stops tracking, ads, and malware
- Few countries
- Apps lack features
The most cost-effective VPN for unblocking ITV is Atlas VPN. It’s exceptionally cheap, allows limitless simultaneous connections, and has terrific geo-unblocking performance.
Firstly, Atlas VPN has 750+ servers in 37+ countries. Additionally, it’s equipped with the WireGuard and IKEv2 tunneling protocols for exceptional speed under all circumstances. Plus, there are no limitations on P2P traffic on the entire server network.
Atlas VPN can unlock more content on ITV and BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Disney Plus, and many more streaming platforms. Furthermore, it’s available on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
Privacy enthusiasts may be troubled to hear that Atlas VPN is based in the United States, a founding member of the Five Eyes alliance. Luckily, the service follows a strict no-logs policy and does not store any unnecessary personal data. Moreover, you can use the service for better online protection by enabling the app’s countless security and privacy features.
If you’re unsure whether Atlas VPN is the right choice, you can try it out with the free plan. It has fewer servers to choose from, but there are no data limits. Alternatively, you can purchase a subscription and take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee. Best of all, subscription costs start at a mere $2.05/month.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
How to watch ITV on your device
ITV is compatible with a wide range of different devices. Naturally, getting the streaming service working on each device requires a different setup process. Below we’ll guide you through a few installation methods.
Watch ITV on your PC (Windows and Mac)
- First, download and install the VPN software. We suggest NordVPN, the best VPN for streaming
- Connect to any server in the UK
- Visit the official ITV Hub website
- Create a new account to access all the content
- Choose your desired show and sit back!
Watch ITV on your mobile device (Android and iOS)
Accessing the ITV Hub on mobile devices is a bit different because you’ll also need to change your account settings to match the geo-location of your VPN connection. This process will depend on whether you’re using Android or iOS, but in general, the process looks like this:
- Choose a reliable VPN provider. Our go-to choice is NordVPN, the #1 rated VPN service
- Install the VPN on your mobile device and connect to a server in the United Kingdom
- Change your account settings or create a new account that’s based in the UK
- Visit the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store
- Search for the official ITV Hub app
- Log in and start watching on the go!
Watch ITV on your smart TV
Most smart TVs don’t support VPN software natively. As such, you’ll need to install the VPN on your router to get around this limitation.
- Pick a VPN that you can manually configure on routers. The best option is NordVPN, currently available for 57% off!
- Access your router and enable a VPN connection by following a guide by your provider
- Connect your smart TV to the VPN-enabled network
- Tune in to the ITV channel and watch whatever you please!
How to watch ITV on streaming devices
Using media players is a great way to get more out of your standard home entertainment system. Of course, you can get even more bang for your buck by using a VPN to get around geographical restrictions. Here’s how to enable a VPN on the most common streaming devices.
Watch ITV on Roku
A common and easy-to-use TV peripheral is Roku. It has an internal operating system that’s incompatible with VPN software. As such, you’ll need to set up a VPN on your router and then connect the device to the network. Here’s how it should play out.
- Reset your Roku
- Manually configure your router with a VPN in the UK. Our suggestion is NordVPN, the best VPN overall
- Connect your Roku to the network and log in with a UK account
- Search for ITV Hub on the Roku Channel Store
- Install the application, log in, and watch your favorite UK show!
Watch ITV on Amazon Fire Stick
An Amazon Fire Stick looks more like a USB drive than a media player, but it’s actually quite powerful. So much so that it even supports VPN software natively. As such, all you need to do is install the VPN software directly on the device, assuming the provider has a dedicated app for it.
- Pick a VPN with a dedicated app for Amazon Fire Stick. Our favorite option is NordVPN, the best service for Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Connect your Fire Stick to the HDMI port of your TV and search for the VPN app
- Install the app and log in with your account
- Connect to a server in the United Kingdom
- Search for the ITV Hub app and install it
- Enjoy the best that ITV has to offer!
Watch ITV on Apple TV
Unfortunately, Apple TV limits native VPN support on the media player. Therefore, you’ll need to connect the device to a network with a virtual private network connection.
- Choose a VPN that can be set up with a router. We recommend NordVPN, the fastest VPN on the market
- Connect the Apple TV to the newly configured network
- Search for ITV Hub on the Apple App Store
- Install the app and log in
- Browse through the vast selection of UK-based TV shows!
How to watch ITV from anywhere?
It doesn’t matter whether you’re located in the United States, Canada, Australia, or anywhere else on the globe – a solid VPN provider can reroute your connection to the United Kingdom. The crucial part is picking a service equipped with fast and modern tunneling protocols to ensure high-quality connectivity over long distances. Plus, a vast server network is needed to avoid traffic congestion and overload.
Once you’ve decided on a VPN service, here’s how to watch ITV from anywhere:
- Install the VPN software on your device. Our recommended provider is NordVPN
- Connect to any server in the United Kingdom
- Visit the ITV website and create a new account
- Watch anything that’s available on the UK TV service!
Cannot access ITV with VPN?
Even the best VPN providers are prone to occasional hiccups and performance issues. If you’re having trouble unblocking ITV, try these simple solutions:
- Check for IP and DNS leaks
- Clear the cache and cookies on your browser
- Reconnect to another server
- Try using different tunneling protocols
If all else fails, contact your VPN provider’s customer support. This is why it’s best to choose a provider that offers 24/7 live chat customer support.
How to watch ITV for free
Watching ITV completely for free might be challenging as even the best free VPN providers don’t offer a wide selection of server locations. That means you’re unlikely to find a reliable option for circumventing ITV geographical restrictions. Plus, free services are typically overcrowded and plagued by abysmal connection speeds.
However, you can try alternating between VPN services with free trials. This has the added benefit of getting to know which options work best with ITV. And once you find a balance between performance and an affordable price, you can opt for a long-term subscription.
What to watch on ITV?
ITV is home to a wide range of UK original programming and news. Furthermore, you can use the channel to watch popular live sporting events completely free of charge. For example, it’s commonly used for tuning in to Tour de France and other similar events.
Otherwise, you can alternate between the six available ITV channels (ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITVBe, CITV) to find the most appealing and exciting show. Personally, my favorite options are:
- Ainsley’s Caribbean Kitchen
- Hell’s Kitchen
- Good Morning Britain
- Dancing on Ice
- The Jeremy Kyle Show
- Love Island
Geographical restrictions are frustrating because they limit access to great foreign content. It’s especially noticeable when you’re trying to keep up with your favorite TV shows while traveling. Thankfully, you can use a reliable VPN service to curb geo-blocks and watch anything that your heart desires – no matter where you are.
What’s your favorite show on ITV? Share your recommendations by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Fastest VPN services
Best VPN for streaming
Best VPN for torrenting
Best VPN for gaming
How to watch CBC in USA
How to watch Hulu outside the US
How to get US IP address
Best VPN services with dedicated IP
What’s the best VPN for ITV?
The best VPN for ITV is NordVPN. It has plenty of servers in the UK, reliable geo-unblocking measures, fast connection speeds, and an affordable price.
Can I use a free VPN for ITV?
It’s unlikely that you’ll find a worthwhile free VPN that works with ITV. Typically, these services don’t offer servers in the UK, and their ability to get around geographical restrictions is subpar.
Is it legal to use a VPN with ITV?
Yes, there are no laws against using a VPN with ITV. However, the ITV terms of service do not permit the use of VPNs or similar software to get around geo-blocks.