From Formula 1 and La Liga to NFL and the Premier League, the Sky Sports platform is the perfect place for all kinds of sports enthusiasts. It streams numerous live events, competitions, and tournaments, plus you can even bet on your favorite teams. If you’re a resident of the United Kingdom and Ireland that is.
Due to geo-restrictions, Sky Sports is available just to citizens of the UK + Ireland. Anyone outside these countries must utilize Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
Fortunately, people from the US and other countries can still tune in to watch their sports teams triumph. A VPN allows you to connect to the UK, changing your actual IP address to a British one and granting you access to the platform’s live TV option. Of course, those who want the best streaming experience should look into the best Sky Sports VPNs.
How to watch Sky Sports in US with a VPN
- Subscribe to the best UK VPN. Our top recommendation is NordVPN, now 57% off!
- Download the appropriate VPN client for your device
- Connect to a server in the United Kingdom
- Now you have full Sky Sports access – enjoy the show!
Best VPNs to stream Sky Sports in US: Shortlist
- The best VPN for Sky Sports9.7
- Sky Sports VPN with unlimited devices9.4
- Affordable VPN to watch Sky Sports in US9.0
- Mobile-friendly Sky Sports VPN8.8
- VPN for Sky Sports with malware protection8.5
Why do you need a VPN to stream Sky Sports in US
Despite offering coverage of US sports competitions as NBA and NFL, Sky Sports is not available for anyone living outside the UK. You can thank various licensing agreements and distribution rights for locking you out with geo-blocks.
It goes like this. You navigate to the Sky Sports website, and once the system recognizes that your IP address is anything but of British origin, you lose access to Sky Bet and Live TV. Depending on where you click, you might even be greeted with similar messages to this one:
No need to let disappointment devour you just yet – getting your hands on a premium VPN will solve this problem in just a few clicks. This technology encrypts your internet traffic and assigns you a British IP address, allowing you to watch Sky Sports outside the UK.
Moreover, it’s an excellent tool for accessing restricted content in general, like region-locked streaming libraries. VPNs also keep your Internet Service Provider (ISP) from snooping on your online activities and throttling your speeds if you’re doing anything data-intensive. Lastly, your device will benefit from an extra layer of security.
Best VPNs to watch Sky Sports
The first thing you have to pay attention to is whether the Sky Sports VPN offers any UK servers as you won’t be able to do anything without them. Another crucial aspect is having the latest tunneling protocols that ensure low latency to avoid buffering hell. Streaming VPNs are your best bet here since they have the next-gen WireGuard protocol.
Besides the essential VPN tool package, the provider must support as many devices as Sky Sports is available on. It includes computers, phones, streaming devices, plus gaming consoles. And to let you watch it on all of them whenever you want, multiple simultaneous connections are the way to go.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Sky Sports
24/7 live chat, Email
- Wicked fast thanks to NordLynx
- SmartPlay for streaming devices
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
Quickly watch Sky Sports in the US with NordVPN, the best VPN for this task. You’ll be virtually connected to the UK in no time, allowing you to enjoy all British entertainment, not just sports. And since it’s one of the fastest VPNs on the market, a smooth streaming experience is guaranteed.
The vast server selection (5400+ servers in 60+ countries) includes more than 440 United Kingdom servers to pick from. Out of all tunneling protocol options, the one you should be paying attention to is NordLynx. It’s a better, in-house version of WireGuard, offering bulletproof encryption and lighting-fast speeds.
Depending on how many devices you want to secure, 6 simultaneous connections might not be enough. Thankfully, you can manually set up the VPN on your router for full household coverage. Plus, the SmartPlay feature takes care of devices that don’t support VPN technology.
This great Sky Sports VPN can be yours for only $3.49/month after utilizing a NordVPN discount code. The 30-day money-back guarantee ensures your commitment is risk-free, or you can take advantage of the 7-day free trial before spending your cash.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – Sky Sports VPN with unlimited devices
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Top-notch security tools
- Smart DNS for bypassing geo-blocks
- WireGuard-fuelled speeds
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another service that will let you tune into Sky Sports outside the UK is Surfshark VPN. Unlimited simultaneous connections let you secure every device you own with the various powerful features the provider offers. So, what else is good about it?
You’re getting a Sky Sports VPN with the largest country coverage – 3200+ servers in 100+ countries. And the fleet has hundreds of suitable connection points in Glasgow, London, Manchester, and Edinburgh. Plus, the mix of WireGuard and Software Defined Networking technology ensures the most chaotic sports matches never get ruined by lag.
Surfshark has a Smart DNS feature that allows you to bypass geo-blocks on devices that don’t support VPNs. You’ll quickly find that it’s useful for more than Sky Sports – we’re talking about Channel 4, BBC iPlayer, ITV, etc.
Trying a Surfshark VPN coupon will lower the subscription price to just $2.30/month. You can get a refund with the 30-day money-back guarantee if it doesn’t suit your needs. Or testing the free 7-day trial version is always an option before you commit.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – affordable VPN to watch Sky Sports in US
24/7 live chat
- Owns all hardware
- Cheap and effective
- Great for streaming
- Mac and iOS have fewer features
Whether it’s unblocking Sky Sports or any other British geo-restricted service, PrivateVPN got you covered. The service has everything you need for secure streaming, plus a great price-to-feature ratio along with 10 simultaneous connections. Its broad device compatibility is a nice touch as well.
The fleet size is modest compared to other VPNs on this list – just 200+ servers in 63+ countries – but it does have convenient servers in Manchester and London. All hardware is physical, and the provider operates everything itself, adding reliability points. Instead of the WireGuard protocol, you’ll find OpenVPN, which gets the job done surprisingly well.
PrivateVPN differs from others by buying High Quality Network directly from IP transit providers. Cutting out intermediaries results in fewer routing hops, meaning anything you watch won’t take exceedingly long to load or buffer at the worst times. Be it Sky Sports or foreign Netflix libraries, you can always expect crisp HD quality.
You can get this VPN for only $2.00/month by applying a PrivateVPN code during checkout. We suggest downloading the 7-day free trial if you’re unsure about it, and even if you do end up subscribing, the 30-day money-back guarantee protects your purchase.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. Atlas VPN – mobile-friendly Sky Sports VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Great against geo-blocks
- Anonymous payment options
- No device limit
- No router configuration
If you’re looking for an even cheaper service, don’t overlook Atlas VPN. You’ll get your hands on Sky Sports in no time and enjoy 4K quality thanks to streaming-optimized servers. Of course, the best thing about this provider is there are no simultaneous connection restrictions. So, freely use the VPN on every device you own.
The substantial network of 750+ servers across 37+ countries has plenty of UK IP addresses to connect to. From the available tunneling protocols, you’re better off utilizing the next-gen WireGuard – it’s the latest with some of the best speeds around.
Now, Atlas VPN is known for its dedicated, user-friendly mobile applications. They’re straightforward to navigate, so if you prefer to enjoy Sky Sports or any other video platform via Android and iOS, go with this service. It also has a great free version, but it doesn’t offer any UK servers, unfortunately.
Atlas VPN can be yours for only $2.05/month if you use an Atlas VPN discount code. Since the free app won’t let you properly experience the service, in this case, take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee to test the provider.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
5. IPVanish – VPN for Sky Sports with malware protection
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- WireGuard for excellent speeds
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- No anonymous payment methods
Want some extra protection along with excellent geo-block bypassing capabilities? Try IPVanish, which comes with VIPRE antivirus software for some real-time protection. It’s handy if you’re planning on watching Sky Sports on the go and via unsecured public networks.
2000+ servers scattered in 50+ countries have everything you need to unblock Sky Sports in the USA. There are over 110 city-level servers in Maidenhead, London, Birmingham, Manchester, and Glasgow. And to ensure the streams are as smooth as butter, the WireGuard tunneling protocol is ready and primed for action.
You’ll be able to enjoy this sports platform on every device in the house since the provider offers unlimited connections. What’s more, you won’t encounter any issues accessing other foreign streaming platforms and libraries. Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and more are within your grasp.
$3.99/month is not much for a fantastic Sky Sports VPN, just don’t forget to apply an IPVanish coupon to get a discount. There’s no way to get a taste of this service beforehand since the provider does not have a trial version. Nonetheless, you can still test it by using the 30-day money-back guarantee to your advantage.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
Streaming services to watch Sky Sports in US
Sky Sports is available on cable via Sky TV and Virgin TV broadcasting, but there are options to stream it online as well. If you live in Britain, of course. If not, the usual solution applies to your average geo-restriction problem: utilize a UK VPN. You can tune into Sky Sports on these platforms:
- NOW – the official application of Sky TV that includes a myriad of sports channels you get by buying the Sky Sports package
- Sky Go – another official app from Sky TV with more entertainment package choices you can get for an additional cost. It’s free-to-use for Sky TV customers, but you’ll have to buy Sky Sports separately.
- Virgin TV Go – Virgin TV customers also have access to Sky Sports channels, albeit this will cost extra
There are several websites where you can stream Sky Sports for free, the catch being that they’re illegal. We advise against entertaining this option since these pages are unsafe to use and can riddle your device with malicious software.
How to subscribe to Sky Sports in the US
Sky Sports subscriptions are only available to those who live in Britain, but it’s nothing a good ‘ol UK VPN can’t fix in a matter of moments. Here’s how to do it:
- Subscribe to a VPN with plenty of British servers. NordVPN offers an expansive range of UK servers.
- Install the VPN software and connect to a server in the United Kingdom
- Go to the official Sky Sports website, then click Get Sky Sports at the top, and Upgrade to Sky Sports once a new page opens
- Now you’ll get 4 subscription options – if you already have an account, simply upgrade to Complete Sky Sports. Those new to Sky TV should pick the Sky TV & Sky Sports option.
- Enter your account details in their respective fields
- Enter a British postcode. You can find plenty of them on Google.
- Pick a Sky TV installation date
- Enter your credit card details to finalize the purchase
How to watch Sky Sports in US on different devices
Of course, streaming Sky Sports in America isn’t going to be an issue if you’re utilizing a VPN. The channel supports a wide range of devices, so it’s also recommended to subscribe to a service best suited for respective ones.
Here’s how the process goes in each case, as it is a bit different with each device:
- VPNs for computers
- VPNs for mobiles
- VPNs for Roku
- VPNs for Apple TV
- VPNs for Smart TV
- VPNs for gaming consoles
Watch Sky Sports on PC with VPN
- Sign up for a PC-compatible VPN. NordVPN has great, intuitive applications for Windows and Mac.
- Download the appropriate app and install it on your computer
- Pick a server based in Britain
- Log in or create a Sky TV account
- Enjoy everything this sports channel has to offer!
Watch Sky Sports on phone with VPN
- Get a mobile-compatible VPN. We’ve found NordVPN to be the best choice for Android and iOS devices.
- Install the application dedicated to your phone’s operating system
- Choose any UK server or let the system automatically connect to one
- Sign up for Sky Sports or log in to an existing Sky TV account
- Enjoy rugby, cricket, golf, tennis, darts, and more!
Stream Sky Sports in USA today
Watch Sky Sports on Roku with VPN
- Subscribe to a VPN best suited for a router. You can quickly manually set up NordVPN on most routers.
- Install the VPN on your router and connect to a UK server. Most providers offer easy-to-follow instruction guides on how to do so.
- Reset your Roku device and connect it to the newly-secured network
- Open Roku’s menu and navigate to the Channel Store
- Go to TV & Video > NOW app > Add Channel
- Launch the NOW channel and sign up or log in to your Sky TV account
- Look up Sky Sports from the channel list and click on it to begin streaming!
Watch Sky Sports on Apple TV with VPN
- Download the best VPN for a router. You’ll have no problem setting up NordVPN on a router or any device for that matter.
- Complete the VPN setup process and pick a server in Britain. If it’s unclear what you have to do, look up instructions on the provider’s knowledgebase.
- Reconnect your Apple TV to your home network
- Go to the App Store and search for the NOW application – get it
- Launch the NOW app and log in to your Sky TV account
- Congratulations, now you can watch live Sky Sports broadcasts!
Tune in to Sky Sports News live stream
Watch Sky Sports on Smart TV with VPN
- Pick a VPN that is easy to install on a router. NordVPN doesn’t have a router app, but a manual setup is a viable option.
- Install the VPN on your router device and select a server in the United Kingdom. Make sure your router is compatible with VPN technology.
- Connect your Smart TV to the now secure home Wi-Fi network
- Go to the TV App Store and find the Now application – download it
- Open the newly-downloaded application and create a Sky TV account
- Choose to stream Sky Sports, and you’re good to go!
Enjoy the Sky Sports channel from America
Watch Sky Sports on Xbox and PlayStation with VPN
- Subscribe to a VPN that supports gaming consoles. NordVPN is pretty easy to set up and works with Xbox and PlayStation devices without a hitch.
- Set up the VPN on your router, pick any British server, and connect your console to the network
- Boot up the Xbox or PlayStation, go to the TV & Video section on the dashboard, and find the Sky TV app – get it
- Once it finishes installing, open the application and log into your Sky TV account or create a new one
- Access live sports coverage any time you want!
Access any Sky Sports stream in US
Can’t access Sky Sports with a VPN?
If you cannot watch anything anymore even though the Sky Sports + VPN combo worked the previous day, trouble is afoot. Before you start panicking, take a deep breath, and do some troubleshooting instead. Here’s what might be happening:
- Using a blacklisted IP. Like other British services, Sky TV has specific mechanisms to suss out VPN traffic and block VPN IP addresses to discourage outsiders from accessing their content. You’re likely connected to a blacklisted server – simply pick another one.
- The location is leaking. Clean your browser cookie cache, double-check whether all VPN security features are enabled, and cycle through the available tunneling protocols. Restart your device just in case.
- VPN software is outdated. Older versions of clients usually aren’t safe to use, and they might even be causing your current VPN issues, like DNS leaks. Download the latest version and reboot your device.
- Router drivers got corrupted. It is relevant for those who had to set up VPN software on routers – if you’ve tried multiple different services, the TAP drivers probably got scrambled in the process. You have to delete the current ones and install a fresh batch.
You also have to entertain the notion that Sky Sports upped their geo-blocks, and your provider simply can’t circumvent them now. It’s a good idea to contact the VPN’s customer support for answers and further guidance. Nothing helped? Time to switch to a reputable VPN able to fulfill its promises, like NordVPN.
Do we recommend watching Sky Sports with a free VPN
You’re better off using premium services to watch Sky Sports in the USA instead of free VPNs. And there is a straightforward reason – most costless providers don’t have any servers in the UK. Even if you luck out and find one that does, its weak geo-restriction bypassing capabilities will leave you hanging.
Besides, you might end up putting yourself at risk with a free Sky Sports VPN. Picking any random provider willy-nilly could land you on a service that:
- Collects information about you – it includes device-identifying data, OS and hardware specs, connection datestamps, what you do while under the ‘protection’ of the VPN, etc. And what is done with all this valuable info? Sold off to the highest bidder.
- Injects malware into its client – some costless services go as far as to bundle their software with malware, spyware, adware, keyloggers, and such. Anything that can compromise your security and collect data about you while the VPN isn’t being used.
- Riddles everything with ads – your average intrusive advertisements would be very annoying but okay. The problems start when they contain viruses that further jeopardize your device’s security.
I’m not even getting into stringent data caps, speed throttling, and potato quality streams. Those unwilling to pay for a VPN should utilize their free trial versions instead. Just use everything the service has to offer for the allotted time and jump to another once it ends.
What we recommend watching on Sky Sports
Sky Sports consists of many different channels dedicated to respective sports and topics. Curious what a subscription will get you?
|Sky Sports Main Event||Top live events from various sports|
|Sky Sports Premier League||Premier League|
|Sky Sports Football||Championship, Bundesliga, UEFA Nations League, Copa Del Rey, EFL, MLS|
|Sky Sports Cricket||England Home Test, ODI, T20, ICC Cricket World Cup, IPL|
|Sky Sports Golf||The Masters, The Open, The U.S. Open, Ryder Cup, PGA, Solheim Cup|
|Sky Sports Racing||Racing Review, The Racing Debate, Get In, Raceday Live, Sky Sports Racing Stateside, Australian Racing|
|Sky Sports F1||Formula 1, IndyCar, Ferrari Challenge|
|Sky Sports Action||European Rugby Union, Rugby League, Tennis, Boxing, NFL, GAA, Darts, WWE|
|Sky Sports Arena||Boxing, World Darts Championships, Saturday Night Fight, Super League, Barbarians Rugby, SANZAAR Rugby|
|Sky Sports News||24-hour sports news|
|Sky Sports Mix||International Cricket, La Liga, FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, Netball, MLS, MMA, NBA|
Want to tune into these sporting events in America? Grab the best VPN for Sky Sports and enjoy everything this channel network offers.
Getting Sky Sports is definitely worth it if you want easy access to the world’s top sporting events in almost every popular field. F1, NBA, Premier League, PGA, MMA, and NFL are just a drop in the bucket of all the competitions you can view here.
But since it’s only available for those with a UK IP address, you can’t do without the appropriate Sky Sports VPN. Services like NordVPN ensure your streams aren’t ruined by untimely lag while unlocking any foreign content your heart desires. Plus, these tools keep all online activities safe & anonymous, and you can never have too much protection.
What event has got you excited enough to snatch a Sky Sports subscription? Let us know in the comments below!
You may also like to read:
How to watch Turkish TV in the US
Watch Great British Bake Off in the US
Watch NBC without cable
How to watch CBC in the USA
Watch CBS online from anywhere
How to watch F1 TV Pro from anywhere
Can I watch Sky Sports with a VPN?
Yes, you can watch Sky Sports with a VPN if you live outside the UK. All you have to do is subscribe to a VPN with plenty of British IP addresses, like NordVPN, download and install the software, connect to a UK server, and create a Sky TV account. Remember that it’s a paid service, so you’ll have to subscribe to an appropriate plan with the Sky Sports package.
Why does Sky block VPNs?
Sky blocks VPN IPs like most other British streaming platforms to stop outsiders from accessing its content. These United Kingdom services are under strict licensing agreements not to broadcast material outside of the country – it also means not letting citizens of other regions see it as well.
Is Sky Sports free in the US?
No, Sky Sports isn’t free in the US, and you still have to pay for a subscription to view these sports channels. Several streaming services offer Sky Sports packages on top of regular plans, but since they’re UK-only, you’ll need an appropriate VPN to purchase them.
Can I watch Sky Sports on Amazon Prime?
No, you can’t watch Sky Sports on Amazon Prime Video as the platform does not have a license to stream Sky TV content. If you want to view Sky Sports channels, you can do so via Sky Go, Virgin TV, and NOW applications. You’ll need a British IP address to use them.
How can I watch Sky Sports without a subscription?
You can’t watch Sky Sports without a subscription unless you’re viewing it through illegal streaming websites, which is unsafe. NOW, Sky Go and Virgin TV are official platforms that host Sky Sports content for an extra cost.