Hulu is a popular streaming platform that offers an extensive library of content from various networks, such as NBC, FOX, ABC, and more. With so many exclusive shows and movies on the roster, thousands of Americans enjoy this entertainment service from the comfort of their homes. That leaves the rest of the world frustrated, as Hulu is only available in the US.
Don’t feel down if you’re interested in a subscription – you can unblock Hulu with a Virtual Private Network (VPN) if you live anywhere else. This nifty tool allows you to connect to a server in America, changing your IP address and bypassing the pesky geo-blocks. We’ll discuss the best VPNs for Hulu and how to do it easily below.
How to watch Hulu with a VPN
- Download the best Hulu VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN, currently available for 68% off!
- Install the VPN on the device of your choice
- Connect to a server located in the US
- Pick a show and start watching!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Hulu?
Despite having a massively-appealing library of content, Hulu remains US-centric and is only available in the States. This Disney-owned company is inaccessible to the rest of the world due to licensing laws, which probably won’t be solved anytime soon. It has people scrambling to find the cheapest VPNs to stream Hulu from anywhere.
It aggravates the rest of us outside the US and is even more annoying to expats who have signed up for this service. Americans trying to access this platform from another region are greeted with an error message.
Thankfully, these geo-restrictions can be circumvented with a reliable VPN. A simple IP address change and the right encryption tools will fool Hulu into thinking you reside in the US. With the streaming platform now unblocked, all that’s left to do is sign up and begin browsing the vast library.
Best VPNs to stream Hulu online: overview
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Hulu
- Surfshark – Hulu VPN with exceptional privacy
- PrivateVPN – VPN for Hulu with great device compatibility
Several things are crucial for the best VPN for Hulu. First and foremost, a wide-ranging network with as many US locations and IP addresses as possible. For 4K video quality and zero buffering, no data caps and wicked-fast speeds are vital. Since Hulu bans VPN traffic if detected, the provider should have military-grade encryption to avoid this.
In addition to the usual features such as a kill switch, leak protection, device compatibility is crucial. The VPN should support and have complementary applications for all major devices. You should prioritize lots or unlimited simultaneous connections as well – this way, entertainment will be available for the whole family.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Hulu
24/7 live chat, Email
- SmartPlay to unlock streaming platforms
- NordLynx for lightning-fast speeds
- Independently-audited and secure
- No router app
NordVPN is the ideal VPN to watch Hulu and the first place contender for the title of the best VPN overall. Brimming with various security and privacy-ensuring features, this provider will keep you safe while streaming your favorite shows and doing anything online.
With an expansive network of 5500+ servers in 59+ countries, you’ll quickly find the best places to connect to in the US. There are 15 cities you can pick from spread across 8 different States for your convenience. The proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol guarantees exceptional speeds for the smoothest 4K lag-free video experience.
Streaming enthusiasts will be delighted to find that NordVPN unblocks Hulu, plus other platforms like Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, HBO Max. Lots of foreign libraries of Netflix will be at your fingertips as well. You can thank the SmartPlay feature for that – it allows you to access streaming services while encrypting your connections and masking your IP address.
For only $3.09/month, if you apply our NordVPN coupon, you get 6 simultaneous connections, tight security, and great geo-restriction circumventing features. What’s more, you can take this VPN for a spin via its 7-day free trial version (through Google Play Store) or recoup your losses later with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Hulu VPN with exceptional privacy
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Smart DNS for smooth streaming
- No device limit
- WireGuard for wicked speeds
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Another great VPN to stream Hulu is Surfshark, which offers unlimited simultaneous connections for full device coverage. Coupled with top-notch security features, this allows limitless entertainment possibilities for the whole family, keeping you secure whether you’re watching at home or in public.
3200+ RAM-only servers in 95+ countries are nothing to scoff at. There are 25 city-based servers conveniently located across the US, meaning Hulu will be readily-available no matter which one you choose. Of course, your streaming experience will also be pleasant and buffer-free due to the WireGuard protocol.
Surfshark’s geo-block bypassing abilities won’t leave you hanging either, thanks to the Smart DNS feature. Hulu is just the tip of the iceberg of what you’ll be able to access – Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max are just a few of the many. Furthermore, extensive device compatibility lets you enjoy streaming via phone, Smart TV, Kodi, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and more.
Coming at the low price of $2.30/month by applying the Surfshark discount code, you get the best of both worlds security and functionality-wise. If you have access to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, try the 7-day free trial. Another option is to subscribe, which you can do risk-free thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – VPN for Hulu with great device compatibility
24/7 live chat
- User-friendly apps
- Great price/feature ratio
- Excellent geo-unblocking capabilities
- Support could be more responsive
Although small scale-wise, PrivateVPN is a superb VPN for Hulu if you want something that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. The usual security features will keep you well under wraps while watching anything from anywhere.
200+ servers in 63+ countries might not seem like much, but the services you get are unparalleled. This size allows for better infrastructure optimization, meaning 4K-ready speeds are a tried and tested reality. Furthermore, there are 12 city-based servers to connect to in the US.
Of course, the ability to bypass pesky streaming platform restrictions is one of the highlights of this VPN. Besides Hulu, you get Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, etc. And if the 10 simultaneous connections are not enough, you can set it up on your router for full device coverage.
Pay $2.00/month with our PrivateVPN code, and enjoy the best Hulu and other services have to offer. Check out how it all works with the 7-day free-trial version or commit with the option to back out if it doesn’t work, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
Hulu compatible devices
You can stream TV shows and movies from Hulu on various devices. At the moment of writing this article, you can use:
- Android (phones & tablets)
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Fire tablets
- Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
- iOS (iPhone & iPad)
- LG TV
- Nintendo Switch
- PlayStation (PS4 & PS5)
- Samsung TV
- VIZIO SmartCast TV
- Xbox (Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S)
- Xfinity Flex Streaming TV Box
- Xfinity X1 TV Boxes
For the best experience and compatibility possible, we recommend subscribing to a VPN with multi-platform support. You won’t be troubled by limited device choice with such providers as NordVPN, which works on an array of tech accessories, includes easy-to-use applications, and circumvents geo-restrictions in seconds.
How to watch Hulu on your device
Signing up for Hulu is relatively straightforward, and making it work on the device of your choice is as well. Keep in mind that the steps can vary with each case. Of course, we recommend subscribing to a VPN compatible with your tech:
Watch Hulu on your PC (Windows and mac)
- Subscribe to a trusted Hulu VPN. Our top choice is NordVPN for its great device compatibility.
- Connect to a US server
- Open the Hulu website
- Log into your account
- Freely browse the expansive catalog!
Watch Hulu on your phone (Android and iOS)
- Download a reliable VPN for Hulu. We strongly recommend NordVPN for its user-friendly apps.
- Set up the VPN on your router or install the client on your phone
- Choose a location in the US
- Download the Hulu app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store
- Sign in to your account
- Enjoy unlimited streaming!
Watch Hulu on your Smart TV
- Pick a VPN suited for Hulu. Our go-to choice is NordVPN.
- Set up the VPN on your router or install the client on your TV
- Select a server from the several US ones
- Download the Hulu app on your TV
- Create an account or log in
- Explore the library and start watching!
How to watch Hulu on streaming devices
Hulu services work surprisingly well with several streaming devices you can connect to your TV. Keep in mind that the setup process, while simple, varies with each case accordingly. It’s also worth subscribing to a VPN that works the best with each device:
Stream Hulu on Apple TV
- Find an excellent Hulu VPN. You can never go wrong with NordVPN.
- Connect to a server located in the US
- Turn on your Apple TV, go to the App Store, and download the Hulu app
- Log into your account or create a new one if needed
- Enjoy the plethora of entertainment!
Stream Hulu on Fire Stick
- Download a VPN that has US servers. NordVPN offers several US city-level locations.
- Pick a suitable location in the US
- Open the Firestick dashboard and install the Hulu app
- Log in or create a new account
- Find the movies you want to watch!
Stream Hulu on Roku
- Reset your Roku device
- Install a VPN on your router. We recommend NordVPN.
- Connect to a US server
- Connect Roku to your TV and go to the Channel Store
- Find the Hulu channel – connect to it
- Sit back and let the movies play!
Stream Hulu on Kodi
- Select a reliable VPN. NordVPN is well-known for working well with Kodi.
- Pick a server located in the US
- Install the Hulu application on Kodi
- Log into your account or create a new one
- Search for your favorite content and enjoy!
How to sign up for Hulu outside the US
Besides the correct IP address location, this streaming platform also requires a domestic credit card. Thankfully, there are several ways you can pay for Hulu without getting an American card.
Paypal is an online payments system that facilitates secure and easy money transfers via the internet. You’ll need to create a US account if you want to pay for your subscription this way. According to the Terms of Service, note that it does not allow users to have more than one account. If you do and create another, you risk getting blocked.
- Install a reliable VPN and connect to an American server. Our top choice is NordVPN.
- Create a US PayPal account and transfer some money into it
- Sign up for Hulu using PayPal as the payment method
- Enjoy your shows!
StatesPay (also branded as StatesCard) is a service that lets you get a virtual US-based Visa debit card from abroad. It comes with a one-time card creation fee and a monthly fee that will be charged as long as your account is open. The set up process is pretty straightforward.
- Get a Hulu VPN and connect to a US server. We recommend NordVPN for its extensive network.
- Create a StatesPay account while connected and add funds
- Use your new card information to sign up for Hulu
- Pay for the subscription and start streaming!
Hulu gift card
Another option is to purchase a Hulu gift card via MyGiftCardSupply and GiftCardCabin. You’ll be signing up for the service while redeeming it on the appropriate page.
- Subscribe to a premium VPN and pick a server located in the US. NordVPN offers several US locations.
- Go to either website mentioned above, select Hulu gift card, and choose the value
- Pay for it – you’ll receive a confirmation email with a link to redeem the card
- Redeem the code on the Hulu gift card redemption page – you’ll be creating a new Hulu account at the same time, so just enter the necessary information
- Finish the process and enjoy the shows!
iTunes is not only a convenient place to organize all your media files – it also allows you to pay for various subscriptions using the funds on your account. You have to have a US account for this method.
- Download a robust VPN and pick an American location. You’re guaranteed great connectivity with NordVPN.
- Go to the iTunes website, buy a US iTunes gift card online, and create a new account using it
- Redeem the gift card and use the balance on the account to pay for Hulu
- Finish registering for Hulu
- Start streaming!
You can find approved merchants on Visa’s website to buy prepaid Visa debit cards. You can use these reloadable debit cards internationally, so they’ll let you sign up for Hulu.
- Download a VPN and find the nearest US server. This will be easy and quick with NordVPN.
- Go to the USA Visa website
- Select a card and follow the steps to sign up and add funds.
- Use the card to open a Hulu account – you’ll have to provide a US phone number and address
- Enjoy watching Hulu!
How to stream Hulu in any country
Anything is possible with a reliable Hulu VPN, even streaming outside the US. All you have to do is follow this quick step-by-step guide to unblock geo-restrictions and finally get to browse Hulu’s library.
- Subscribe to a VPN with US servers. Our top choice is NordVPN, currently available for 68% off!
- Install the VPN client on the device of your choice
- Connect to a server located in the US
- Open the Hulu app or go to www.hulu.com if you’re using a browser
Depending on your device, the process might differ. For specific advice, refer to the earlier sections of the article.
Can’t access Hulu, even though you have a VPN?
Turning on the TV and being greeted with the “Video not available in this location” error can sure sour the mood after a long day. This slight hitch in the road is fixable, so there’s no need to despair just yet. Some of the most common causes of VPN problems are:
- The VPN server got blacklisted by Hulu
- Cookies and the browser cache are leaking your real location
- Your actual IP address is leaking
- The GPS location of your device doesn’t match the VPN’s
- The VPN isn’t able to bypass the geo-blocks
Now, on to solving them. You can:
- Connect to another US server and restart Hulu
- Clear your browser’s cache or try another browser altogether
- Enable leak protection settings
- Contact customer support for professional troubleshooting
If you still can’t access the streaming platform after all that, it’s time for a new VPN provider able to do its job. Our top recommendation is NordVPN, perfect for streaming Hulu and overall superb service with an excellent price-to-feature ratio.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Hulu outside the US?
You can, but we strongly recommend not to use free VPNs. They tend to be very unreliable when it comes to bypassing geo-blocks. Furthermore, they are unsafe to use in most cases. Here are just a few of the many reasons you should avoid freemium services.
- User tracking. The only way free providers manage to run their operations is by collecting your data and selling it to third parties and targeted ad advertisers. It beats the purpose of a VPN.
- Malware. Sadly, more often than not, malware is abundant in freemium VPN clients, compromising your and the device’s safety.
- Leaks. Some VPNs don’t have the proper features to encrypt your data and actually change your IP address. Your online activities will remain visible to anyone with the right tools, never mind unblocking Hulu.
- Limited networks. Usually, free tier users can only pick from 3-4 locations max, and data usage is severely restricted. It can only result in overcrowded servers and unstable connections that can drop any minute. You won’t be able to watch any videos properly.
- Bad video quality. Don’t expect crisp HD streams – you’ll be considered lucky if you don’t get buffering every few seconds.
We understand why it’s tempting to go for a VPN with no costs attached, but the cons far outweigh the single pro of it being free. If you’re really unwilling to part with your money, at least go for trustworthy free VPNs that come from reputable providers.
What can you watch on Hulu?
You’ll be surprised by the amount of content housed on this platform. From Hulu originals to past and present seasons of shows from ABC, Comedy Central, The CW, FOX, NBC, MTV, and Univision, these are a few options of many. The entertainment value of this streaming service is immense and continues to grow with each year, so it’s no wonder outsiders are looking into the best Hulu VPNs.
The roster includes TV shows and films of various genres. There’s This Is Us, General Hospital, The Good Doctor, Euphoria, Outlander for drama lovers. If you’re craving sitcoms, Modern Family, Malcolm in the Middle, The Goldbergs, will scratch that itch. Horror, action, mystery, sci-fi, nostalgia, reality TV, or something else – you name it, Hulu has it.
Younger audiences aren’t left out either. Various cartoons and children-oriented shows from Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Universal kids, are readily available.
Even sports enthusiasts will have something for them because you can freely watch ESPN, Fox Sports, and NBCSN, among others. Note that this is available if you subscribe to the Hulu + Live TV package.
There’s even an option to add HBO Max to your regular subscription for an additional price, expanding the library even more. Either way, we just barely scratched the surface of the number of things you can watch on Hulu with suitable streaming VPNs.
Our final thoughts
With so many different networks gathered in one convenient platform, having a Hulu subscription is more than worth it. The already vast library is getting bigger each month, catering even to people with very distinctive tastes. The single hurdle here is that this service is only available in the US.
With the right tools, namely VPNs, you too can watch everything Hulu has to offer. Providers like NordVPN ensure excellent speeds for smooth streaming, encryption for remaining anonymous, and features for bypassing such pesky location restrictions.
Have you tried watching Hulu with a VPN before? How did it go? Let us know by leaving a comment!
You may also like to read:
Best VPN for Disney+
How to watch Funimation outside US
Best VPN for Crunchyroll
Best VPN for HBO Max
Watch Channel 4 in US
How to watch The Office online
Best VPN for YouTube
Does a VPN let me watch Hulu for free?
No, a VPN doesn’t come with a Hulu subscription, it only unblocks such streaming services. You still have to buy a Hulu plan separately. Utilize the best VPN to watch Hulu for a smooth 4K video experience.
Why can’t I watch Hulu internationally?
You can’t watch Hulu internationally because it’s only available in the US. It’s inaccessible to the rest of the world due to copyright laws and distribution rights. You need a reliable VPN and a US IP address to register on and watch Hulu.
Can my Hulu account get blocked if I use a VPN?
No, Hulu won’t block your account for using a VPN to watch shows on this platform. It’s more likely that Hulu will block the port that VPN traffic is coming through if it detects it, stopping you from logging in. We recommend using only the top VPN services like NordVPN to avoid this issue.
Will streaming Hulu with a VPN slow my connection?
All VPNs slow down your connection slightly due to encryption. If you want as little interference as possible, subscribe to the fastest VPN that provides excellent speeds for comfortable streaming. If your ISP is throttling you, a VPN might even facilitate faster internet.