Nothing is more exciting than watching top athletes from across the globe compete against each other in various sporting events. However, it’s frustrating when access to these broadcasts is blocked because of geographical restrictions. Such location-based discrimination is unacceptable and isn’t beneficial to fans in any way.
Luckily, a virtual private network (abbreviated as VPN) for sports can deal with geo-blocking by redirecting your connection through a server in a different region. That way, your true location is masked and restrictions are lifted as quickly as a gold-winning sprinter can dash.
Choose the best VPN for streaming sports by checking our top five suggested providers and grabbing one for yourself!
Best VPN for streaming sports: shortlist
- The best VPN for streaming sports9.7
- Sports-streaming VPN with exceptional features9.5
- Cheap streaming VPN for sports9.0
- VPN for watching sports on multiple devices8.8
- Most affordable sports-streaming VPN8.5
How to use a VPN to watch sports
- Purchase a top-performing VPN for sports. My go-to is NordVPN, now 60% off!
- Download the VPN on your preferred sports-watching device
- Connect to a server where a particular sport is available
- Watch local or foreign sports from anywhere!
Why do you need a VPN for streaming sports?
Sports competitions have become commercialized and aren’t free to watch for everyone. For starters, the most common hindrance that fans come across is geographical restrictions. TV stations broadcast only in a certain area or country, while online platforms detect your location via IP address and restrict access if you’re not in an eligible region.
Luckily, a VPN can hide your IP and mask your true location. What’s more, it makes it appear as if you’re someplace else, unlocking content unavailable in your area. This method is applicable with sports streaming websites and other online services, such as Netflix or Omegle.
Besides that, a virtual private network obfuscates your online activities with top-of-the-line AES-256 encryption. That way, your web activities are unreadable to your ISP (internet service provider) and immune to bandwidth throttling or censorship. Additionally, connecting to public Wi-Fi networks becomes significantly more secure when you’re equipped with an excellent VPN service.
Best VPNs for streaming sports: overview
- NordVPN – the best VPN for streaming sports
- Surfshark VPN – sports-streaming VPN with exceptional features
- PrivateVPN – cheap streaming VPN for sports
- IPVanish – VPN for watching sports on multiple devices
- Atlas VPN – most affordable sports-streaming VPN
A VPN for sports streaming needs to fulfill a few requirements to provide the best possible viewing experience. For example, it should include:
- Vast array of servers to access as much foreign content as possible
- Modern VPN tunneling protocols to ensure lag-free streaming
- Easy-to-use apps for desktop, mobile, and home entertainment devices
- Ability to connect multiple devices with one account
- 24/7 customer support for quick problem-solving
- Bonus security features against ads, trackers, and malware
It’s difficult to find a streaming VPN that ticks all those boxes, but we tried our best to uncover the top five candidates for watching sports anywhere. Consider what criteria are important to you and choose one of our recommended best VPNs for streaming sports.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for streaming sports
24/7 live chat, Email
- High-speed connections
- Best for multiple purposes
- Independently audited and secure
- No router app
The best VPN for streaming sports anywhere is NordVPN. This service is jam-packed with servers worldwide, effective measures against geo-blocks, and wicked-fast connectivity. Don’t believe me? Grab the NordVPN 7-day free trial and find out!
NordVPN customers unlock a network of 5400+ servers in 60+ countries. Most servers utilize RAM-only technology for improved performance and guaranteed confidentiality. Plus, all available software supports the proprietary and well-performing NordLynx tunneling protocol.
Sports fans can expand their horizons and use NordVPN to unearth region-exclusive TV shows and movies on platforms like Netflix and HBO Max. They can do this on common PC and mobile devices plus Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and Roku. Best of all, one subscription supports up to 6 simultaneous connections.
Once you’re ready to commit, get yourself a NordVPN coupon and subscribe for only $3.29/month. Of course, you can always turn back using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – sports-streaming VPN with exceptional features
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Limitless simultaneous connections
- Excellent for privacy
- Wicked-fast with WireGuard
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark is the ultimate VPN to stream sports at numerous households. One subscription has no connection limits, access to unique security features, and stellar geo-block curbing capabilities. Test them out by claiming the 7-day Surfshark trial on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
In terms of servers, Surfshark VPN commands over 3200 across 65+ countries. All of them are RAM-only for absolute data integrity and peak performance. Meanwhile, minimal speed reduction is ensured with the modern and open-source WireGuard protocol.
With Surfshark, customers will have easy access to sports broadcasts on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Specialized apps are also available for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. However, countless other devices can be blessed with geo-block circumvention by utilizing Smart DNS or installing a VPN on a router.
Utilize a Surfshark deal and purchase this VPN for only $2.30/month. Plus, you can always send it back to the sea thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. PrivateVPN – cheap streaming VPN for sports
24/7 live chat
- 7-day free trial
- Great for streaming
- Affordable and effective
- Lacks WireGuard
A budget-friendly and reliable sports VPN option is PrivateVPN. It unlocks many dedicated apps for various devices, provides excellent performance, and solid security.
First off, PrivateVPN runs a tight fleet of 200+ servers in 63+ countries. The entire network is bare-metal and fully owned by the provider, ensuring complete culpability. Plus, the combination of OpenVPN and HQN (High Quality Network) grants above-average connectivity while streaming, torrenting, or browsing.
One PrivateVPN account permits up to 10 simultaneous connections with a single subscription. If you own more devices, you can install the VPN on a router and thus secure and entire network and all connected devices. Otherwise, apps and manual configurations are available for various platforms, including desktop, mobile, and more.
Get acquainted with this provider via the 7-day free trial. After that, a PrivateVPN discount code unlocks $2.00/month subscription prices.
For a deeper investigation of PrivateVPN, read our PrivateVPN review.
4. IPVanish – VPN for watching sports on multiple devices
24/7 live chat, email, knowledge base
- Unlimited connections
- Multiple protocols, including WireGuard
- Independently audited
- No anonymous payment methods
IPVanish is the best VPN for watching sports on multiple devices. It has solid geo-block nullifying abilities and reliable protection with VIPRE antivirus software.
For starters, IPVanish is responsible for 2000+ servers across 50+ regions. The provider retains complete control over the hardware and software without third-party assistance. However, it’s not against using well-performing open-source technologies like WireGuard.
IPVanish is an excellent VPN for streaming and has no trouble conquering geo-blocks by ESPN, DAZN, CBS, and other online broadcasters. Besides that, it can effectively take down online censorship and restrictions by utilizing scrambled OpenVPN traffic. Plus, absolute privacy is guaranteed because IPVanish successfully completed an independent audit of its no-logs policy.
Make use of an IPVanish deal and grab a subscription for $3.99/month. And if the provider doesn’t live up to your expectations, don’t hesitate to use the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of IPVanish, read our IPVanish review.
5. Atlas VPN – most affordable sports-streaming VPN
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent free version
- Top choice for streaming and privacy
- Infinite simultaneous connections
- No router configuration
The most affordable and effective VPN for streaming sports is Atlas VPN. It costs less than two dollars per month and even has a free version if you’d like to get a sneak peek first.
Despite the low price, Atlas VPN leads an impressive network of 750+ servers across 37+ countries. For added convenience, the servers are further split into streaming and Privacy Pro categories, allowing users to select the top choice for a particular use case. Plus, Olympic-comparable speeds are achieved with the lightning-fast WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Privacy enthusiasts will be excited to hear that Atlas VPN has many unique features for maintaining online anonymity. For example, SafeSwap servers can intermittently alternate your IP address to make your activities harder to track. Meanwhile, Multihop+ takes it a step further and changes your virtual location too.
Unlock the full package by using an Atlas VPN discount code to subscribe for only $1.99/month. Plus, you can always utilize the 30-day money-back guarantee safety net.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
What else can I do with a sports-streaming VPN?
Virtual private networks aren’t one-trick ponies that only unblock your favorite sports-streaming websites. In fact, they work with numerous other online services that employ geographical restrictions. For example, you may have heard that Netflix provides different shows and movies based on your current location. Using a VPN, you can change your Netflix location and access exclusive content normally unreachable in your country.
Video games are also subjected to numerous distribution restrictions and inevitable geo-blocking. Additionally, ISPs tend to throttle users when online gaming due to excessive data usage. Therefore, a VPN for gaming is essential for keeping your connections stable and unlocking exotic video games.
Besides entertainment, a VPN service is commonly used for online security and privacy. It keeps your personal information confidential and out of the hands of governments and corporations alike. Plus, it blocks malicious ads, online trackers, and phishing attacks.
Top sports competitions to watch with a VPN
Here are a few world-renowned competitions that you can unlock using a sports VPN. Click the links below and you’ll see further information and guides on accessing these geo-restricted spectacles.
- How to watch NFL games online
- How to watch NBA games online
- How to watch Formula 1 online
- How to watch UFC online
- How to watch the Australian Open
- How to watch Tour de France
How we picked the top VPN for streaming sports
Here’s a detailed look at the essential aspects we considered when picking the best VPNs for sports streaming.
- Speed. Every second of a sports match is crucial and could turn the tide in a team’s favor. A VPN can guarantee an interruption-free viewing experience by utilizing the fastest tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard. You can verify a service’s performance by checking various VPN speed tests.
- Servers. Access to foreign sports streams is only available if a VPN has plenty of servers in other locations. Country diversity unlocks more content, while a greater number of servers improves performance by reducing web traffic congestion.
- Compatibility. Fans like to watch sports on a multitude of different screens. Therefore, a VPN service should be compatible with a vast array of common sports-viewing devices and grant multiple simultaneous connections with one account.
- Security. Digital threats lurk everywhere and no one is 100% immune to them. Even sports enthusiasts fall prey while searching for free methods of accessing geo-restricted content. Therefore, it’s vital to pick a VPN that grants well-rounded protection against plenty of online dangers.
- Privacy. Most fans don’t mind sharing their passion for sports with others. However, they don’t want their personal information spreading across the globe like a pandemic. The best way to protect that data is by using a no-logs VPN that’s based outside Fourteen Eyes’ jurisdiction.
- Price. Unfortunately, the best VPNs on the market aren’t handed out for free. However, there’s no need to overpay since even the cheapest VPNs are quite good for streaming sports.
- Customer support. Setting up a VPN in your home theater might be tricky if you’ve never done it before. Luckily, you can reach out anytime if the virtual private network has 24/7 customer support.
Best free VPN for live sports streaming
Sadly, the best free VPN for streaming sports live doesn’t exist. No-cost services have no incentive to work properly because users aren’t paying anything. Plus, they have other useless baggage as well, such as:
- Throttled connection speeds
- Miniscule server networks
- Monthly data limits
- Old and unreliable security features
- Abysmal geo-block circumvention performance
- Potential data logging and selling
All of this culminates in more downsides than potential benefits for any use case. Therefore, we recommend opting for a VPN with a free trial first since you’ll have a chance to see whether the service works as intended. After that, you can grab a discounted full-time subscription by taking advantage of various VPN deals.
Accessing geographically restricted sporting competitions is only possible by utilizing a reliable VPN for sports streaming. However, curbing limitations is not enough because swift connection speeds are needed to ensure a lag-free and enjoyable viewing experience. Plus, even top athletes understand the importance of safety, whether it’s against injuries or online threats.
Go for gold and choose NordVPN as your sports VPN companion. Use a VPN discount code for exceptional deals or take advantage of the free trial first and see if you get along.
What’s your go-to option on the field of watching sports with a VPN? Share your streaming platform and VPN dream team by leaving a comment below!
Can I use a free VPN for streaming sports?
Although it’s possible to stream sports with a free VPN, you won’t be satisfied with the results. No-cost VPNs have tiny and overcrowded server networks that result in slow connection speeds. Plus, these services are typically unoptimized for getting around geographical restrictions. As such, you’re better off getting a premium VPN for streaming sports.
Is it illegal to use a VPN to watch sports?
No, it’s perfectly legal to use a VPN to watch geographically restricted sports. Some streaming platform terms of service mention that location altering software, such as virtual private networks, is prohibited, but usually there are no long-term repercussions for using one.
What is the best VPN for streaming sports?
NordVPN is the best VPN for streaming sports. It’s affordable, easy to use, packed with worldwide servers, and guarantees top-notch performance on numerous different devices. It’s trusted by sports fans for unblocking NBA, NFL, UFC, and numerous other exclusive competitions.
How to use a VPN to stream sports?
First, you need to subscribe to a reliable VPN for streaming sports. After that, download and install the VPN software on your preferred sports-viewing device. Then, choose any online streaming platform and find out in which countries it’s available. Finally, connect to a VPN server in that country and then access the streaming service you wish – it should become available. If not, connect to a different server and try again.
Ethan is a security researcher and digital privacy advocate. He spends his time unraveling various anonymity and security tools, plus contributing to open-source projects. Otherwise, he keeps a low profile by hiking or cycling around the countryside.