Nothing is more exciting than watching top athletes from across the globe compete against each other in various sporting events. However, it’s frustrating when access to these broadcasts is blocked because of geographical restrictions.
Luckily, a virtual private network (abbreviated as VPN) for sports can deal with geo-blocking by redirecting your connection through servers in different regions. That way, your true location is masked, and restrictions are lifted as quickly as a gold-winning sprinter can dash.
Choose the best VPN for streaming sports from our compilation of tested and reliable providers!
Best VPN for streaming sports: shortlist
- The best VPN for streaming sports9.6
- Sports-streaming VPN with exceptional features9.4
- Most affordable sports-streaming VPN9.1
- Well-equipped VPN for streaming sports8.8
- Cheap and effective sports-streaming VPN8.4
How to use a VPN to watch sports
Why do you need a VPN for streaming sports?
Sports competitions have become commercialized and aren’t free to watch for everyone. For starters, the most common hindrance that fans encounter is geographical restrictions. TV stations broadcast only in a particular area or country, while online platforms detect your location via IP address and restrict access if you’re not in an eligible region.
Luckily, fans can utilize the best VPN services to mask their true locations and virtually connect from elsewhere. These programs redirect your traffic through remote servers, grant you a new IP address, and completely conceal your online activities. You can apply this trick with sports streaming websites and other online services, such as Netflix or Omegle.
Besides that, a virtual private network obfuscates your online activities with top-of-the-line AES-256 encryption. That way, your web activities are unreadable to your ISP (internet service provider) and immune to bandwidth throttling or censorship.
Additionally, connecting to public Wi-Fi networks becomes significantly safer when you’re equipped with a secure VPN service. It will prevent man-in-the-middle attacks and data harvesting by hackers.
Finally, all these excellent benefits are available only when you purchase a premium VPN. On the flip side, free VPN services grant the bare minimum (IP address masking and encryption) with adequate connection performance at best. So get a paid VPN for watching sports if you’re looking for reliable results.
Best VPNs for streaming sports: overview
A VPN for sports streaming needs to fulfill a few requirements to provide the best viewing experience. For example, it should include:
- Vast array of servers to access as much foreign content as possible
- Modern VPN tunneling protocols to ensure lag-free streaming
- Easy-to-use apps for desktop, mobile, and home entertainment devices
- Ability to connect multiple devices with one account
- 24/7 customer support for quick problem-solving
- Bonus security features against ads, trackers, and malware
It’s difficult to find a streaming VPN that ticks all those boxes, but we tried our best to uncover the top five candidates for watching sports anywhere. Consider what criteria are important to you and choose one of our recommended best VPNs for streaming sports.
1. NordVPN – the #1 VPN for unblocking online sports channels
24/7 live chat, Email
- High-speed connections
- Best for multiple purposes
- Independently audited and secure
- Only six simultaneous connections
The best VPN for streaming sports anywhere is NordVPN. This service provides excellent connection speeds that support UHD video without buffering issues. Plus, the VPN is compatible with loads of different home entertainment systems. Grab the NordVPN 7-day free trial and try it out yourself!
NordVPN customers gain access to a network of 5800+ servers in 60+ countries for unblocking different foreign streaming services. The VPN is a top choice for ESPN+, MLB.tv, Sky Sports, and countless other channels. Plus, all software supports the proprietary and well-performing NordLynx tunneling protocol.
You can install fully-featured NordVPN apps on desktop, mobile, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV devices. Alternatively, the Smart DNS tool is available for unblocking streams on any other device, like smart TVs or gaming consoles. Lastly, the service supports manual router configuration for securing an entire household.
Once you’re ready to commit, get yourself a NordVPN coupon and subscribe for only $2.99/month. Of course, you can always turn back using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of NordVPN, read our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark VPN – sports-streaming VPN with exceptional features
24/7 live chat, FAQ
- Limitless simultaneous connections
- Wide-reaching server network
- Wicked-fast with WireGuard
- Unaudited no-logs policy
Surfshark offers an excellent price-to-performance ratio for sports-streaming enthusiasts. It supports unlimited device connections, guarantees top download speeds, and works with various streaming devices. See how it works by claiming the 7-day free trial on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
In terms of servers, Surfshark VPN commands over 3200 across 100+ countries, an exceptionally diverse selection among streaming VPNs. You can use the fleet to watch the NBA, UFC, ESPN, and other sporting leagues. Meanwhile, minimal speed reduction is ensured with the modern and open-source WireGuard protocol.
With Surfshark, customers can easily access sports broadcasts on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Specialized apps are also available for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. However, countless other devices can be blessed with geo-block circumvention using Smart DNS or installing a VPN on a router.
Utilize a Surfshark deal and purchase this VPN for only $2.21/month. Plus, you can always send it back to the sea thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
For a deeper investigation of Surfshark VPN, read our Surfshark VPN review.
3. Atlas VPN – the most frugal method of unblocking online sports TV
Email, tickets, FAQ
- Excellent connectivity with WireGuard
- Top choice for streaming and privacy
- Infinite simultaneous connections
- No router configuration
The most cost-effective VPN for streaming sports is Atlas VPN. Subscriptions start at less than two dollars per month and even have a free version if you’d like to get a sneak peek first.
Despite the low price, Atlas VPN leads an impressive network of 1000+ servers across 49+ countries. For added convenience, the servers are further split into streaming and Privacy Pro categories, allowing users to select the top choice for a particular use case. Plus, Olympic-comparable speeds are achieved with the lightning-fast WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Atlas VPN offers dedicated apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV devices. Sadly, the service lacks router firmware to secure other types of contraptions. However, you can circumvent this issue by creating a VPN-powered hotspot from a laptop or mobile phone. Then you can connect your desired device to that network and unblock foreign sports channels.
Unlock the full package using an Atlas VPN discount code to subscribe for only $1.64/month. Plus, you can always utilize the 30-day money-back guarantee safety net.
For a deeper investigation of Atlas VPN, read our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – solid sports-streaming VPN
24/7 live chat, email
- Fast connections with Lightway
- Unparalleled device compatibility
- Diverse country selection
- Above-average price
ExpressVPN offers excellent performance at the cost of above-average subscription prices and a measly 8 simultaneous connections. On the flip side, it’s insanely-fast and works with almost any device you can imagine.
The service boasts numerous RAM-only servers across 105+ countries. Additionally, customers can install dedicated ExpressVPN apps on desktop computers, mobile devices, routers, and Kindle Fire devices. Alternatively, you can utilize browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Vivaldi. And if apps aren’t your cup of tea, consider trying out the unique MediaStreamer tool.
This VPN is no slouch on the cybersecurity front either. For example, the Threat Manager tool removes excess trackers that undermine your privacy. Moreover, the provider’s no-logs policy was verified via independent audits and various authorities ending up empty handed.
Give ExpressVPN a risk-free shot using the 30-day money-back guarantee. Or grab a coupon code and subscribe for $6.67/month.
For a deeper investigation of ExpressVPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost VPN – cheap VPN for streaming sports
24/7 live chat
- Massive server network
- Excellent speed with WireGuard
- Affordable and effective
- Only 7 simultaneous connections
Frugal sports fans have no shortage of options because CyberGhost VPN is another budget-friendly method of removing geo-blocking. It’s ridiculously cheap and works great with many well-known streaming services.
CyberGhost customers will blaze through the web with the modern and open-source WireGuard protocol. It’s available on the wide-reaching 10218+ server fleet across 100+ countries. You can use this combo to unblock streaming platforms like YouTube TV, Apple TV+, ESPN+, and more.
One CyberGhost VPN subscription permits 7 simultaneous connections. The service is compatible with a wide array of platforms, including desktop, mobile, web browsers, and various TVs. Naturally, you can install the VPN on a router if you own a device without app support.
Prices start at a measly $2.03/month if you’ve acquired a CyberGhost coupon code. Consider the generous 45-day money-back guarantee if you’re not willing to commit.
For a deeper investigation of CyberGhost, read our CyberGhost review.
How we picked the top VPN for streaming sports
Here’s a detailed look at the essential aspects we considered when picking the best VPNs for sports streaming.
- Speed. Every second of a sports match is crucial and could turn the tide in a team’s favor. A VPN can guarantee an interruption-free viewing experience by utilizing the fastest tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard. You can verify a service’s performance by checking various VPN speed tests.
- Servers. Access to foreign sports streams is only available if a VPN has plenty of servers in other locations. Country diversity unlocks more content, while more servers improve performance by reducing web traffic congestion.
- Compatibility. Fans like to watch sports on a multitude of different screens. Therefore, a VPN service should be compatible with many common sports-viewing devices and grant multiple simultaneous connections with one account.
- Security. Digital threats lurk everywhere, and no one is 100% immune to them. Even sports enthusiasts fall prey while searching for free methods of accessing geo-restricted content. Therefore, picking a VPN that grants well-rounded protection against plenty of online dangers is vital.
- Privacy. Most fans don’t mind sharing their passion for sports with others. However, they don’t want their personal information spreading like a pandemic. The best way to protect that data is by using a no-logs VPN that’s based outside Fourteen Eyes’ jurisdiction.
- Price. Unfortunately, the best VPNs on the market aren’t handed out for free. However, there’s no need to overpay since even the cheapest VPNs are quite good for streaming sports.
- Customer support. Setting up a VPN in your home theater might be tricky if you’ve never done it before. Luckily, you can reach out anytime if the virtual private network has 24/7 customer support.
How to use a VPN to watch sports: detailed guide
As you know, there are hundreds of sporting events every day. Additionally, there’s no shortage of options regarding streaming and broadcast services. This variety can make it difficult to know how to use a VPN service to watch a particular competition.
Below is a guide on combining VPNs with any online sports-streaming service to tune into your desired event.
- Sign up for a sports-streaming VPN with thousands of servers worldwide. Our #1 pick is NordVPN
- Download the VPN application on your go-to streaming device. Alternatively, install the VPN on your home router if your designated device doesn’t support VPN software
- Find out where your intended streaming service is available. For example, ESPN+ is exclusive to the US, which means you’ll need a VPN server in USA to unlock the platform
- Connect to a country suitable for your streaming service. Ensure your IP address is changed accordingly
- Open the sports-streaming service app or website, log in, and tune into your favorite sport anywhere!
Best sports streaming services
Here are a few world-renowned competitions that you can unlock using a sports VPN to watch any sports game, like the NFL, without cable. Click the links below, and you’ll see further information and guides on accessing these geo-restricted spectacles.
|Streaming service||Sports broadcasts||Supported countries|
|fuboTV||NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, MLS, MMA, Golf, Boxing, Tennis, College sports, etc||USA, Canada, Spain|
|Fox Sports||NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc||USA|
|NBC Sports||Premier League, NASCAR, NHL, NFL, etc||USA|
|ESPN+||NHL, NFL, UFC, College sports, Cricket etc||USA|
|Sky Sports||Football, F1, Cricket, Golf, Boxing, NFL, Tennis, MMA, etc||USA, Ireland|
Do we recommend using a free VPN for live sports streaming?
Sadly, the best free VPN for streaming sports live doesn’t exist. No-cost services have no incentive to work properly because users aren’t paying anything. Plus, they have other useless baggage as well, such as:
- Throttled connection speeds
- Miniscule server networks
- Monthly data limits
- Old and unreliable security features
- Abysmal geo-block circumvention performance
- Potential data logging and selling
All of this culminates in more downsides than potential benefits for any use case. Therefore, we recommend opting for a VPN with a free trial first since you’ll have a chance to see whether the service works as intended. After that, you can grab a discounted full-time subscription by taking advantage of various VPN deals.
Accessing geographically restricted sporting competitions is only possible by utilizing a reliable VPN for sports streaming. However, curbing limitations is insufficient because top speeds are needed to ensure a lag-free and enjoyable viewing experience. Plus, even top athletes understand the importance of safety, whether it’s against injuries or online threats.
Go for gold and choose NordVPN, the best VPN for streaming sports. Use a VPN discount code for exceptional deals or take advantage of the free trial first and see if you get along.
What’s your go-to option on the field of watching sports with a VPN? Share your streaming platform and VPN dream team by leaving a comment below!
You may also like to read:
How to watch NFL games online
How to watch NBA games online
How to watch Formula 1 online
How to watch UFC online
How to watch the Australian Open
How to watch FIFA WWC online
Should I use VPN when streaming sports?
No, VPNs aren’t strictly necessary when streaming sports. However, you can use one to change your location and access broadcasts unavailable in your region. Additionally, some sports leagues (e.g. MLB, NHL) are geo-restricted and unavailable in many parts of the world. Thankfully, a VPN can change that.
Can I watch live football using a VPN?
Yes, a VPN can unblock live football matches if you’re in a country or American state where a certain competition is unavailable. We recommend NordVPN for this task because it categorizes US servers by city. Remember that you’ll still need to sign up for a sports broadcasting service that supports football.
Can you watch sports for free with a VPN?
Yes, watching sports for free with a VPN is possible, although details may vary. Firstly, you’ll need a good VPN for streaming sports (a free provider won’t cut it). Then you must find a regional TV provider that broadcasts local sporting events. After that, connect to a server location where the broadcast is freely available.
What is the best VPN for streaming sports?
NordVPN is the best VPN for streaming sports. It’s affordable, easy to use, packed with worldwide servers, and guarantees top-notch performance on numerous different devices. Sports fans trust it for unblocking NBA, NFL, UFC, and countless other exclusive competitions.
How to use a VPN to stream sports?
First, you need to subscribe to a reliable VPN for streaming sports. After that, download and install the VPN software on your preferred sports-viewing device. Then, choose any online streaming platform and find out in which countries it’s available. Finally, connect to a VPN server in that country and then access the streaming service you wish – it should become available. If not, connect to a different server and try again.
Is it illegal to use a VPN to watch sports?
No, it’s perfectly legal to use a VPN to watch geographically restricted sports. Some streaming platform terms of service mention that location-altering software, such as virtual private networks, is prohibited, but usually, there are no long-term repercussions for using one.