Sometimes VPNs make it difficult to make use of their “30-day money-back guarantees”, forcing users to pass through numerous stages before they can cancel their subscription. As one of the best VPNs around, you wouldn’t expect ExpressVPN to suffer from these issues. But how easy is it to cancel ExpressVPN, and how should users go about doing so?
This quick guide will explain every step clearly, making cancellation simple. However, being without a VPN for too long is not a great idea for your digital security. You’d be wise to have a look at our list of Best VPN services for a more suitable alternative.
Quick guide: how to cancel ExpressVPN and get a refund
- Go to the ExpressVPN website and click My Account on the top right
- Sign in with your username and password
- Under Manage Subscription Settings, choose Turn off Automatic Renewal
- Contact ExpressVPN support and ask for a refund
- Get your money back in a few days
How to cancel your ExpressVPN subscription
Before going ahead with the refunding process, you need to turn off automatic payment for your subscription. This will ensure that your money does not get transferred to ExpressVPN.
- Head to the company’s website, and log into your account
- Click on the My Account tab, and then choose Manage subscription settings
- Choose the Turn off automatic renewal option on the next page
- Confirm your choice on the next two pages, and ignore the messages about returning to your dashboard or reconsidering
- When that’s done, you’ll receive a message stating that your subscription has ended
You will still be able to use ExpressVPN until the end of your subscription, but after that, it will no longer work. Your next step is to contact customer support for a refund.
How to get a refund for your ExpressVPN subscription
Once you have canceled automatic payments, you can go ahead and ask for a refund. Be aware that you will be asked why you are asking for a refund in the first place. If ExpressVPN could not do some specific task, you might receive some suggestions on how to fix the issue. Make sure that you’ve exhausted all possible options and are certain that you don’t need ExpressVPN anymore. If that’s the case:
- Cancel your subscription as explained before
- Go to the My Account tab from the ExpressVPN homepage
- At the bottom right, click on the green live chat button
- In the opened chat window, ask customer support for a refund
Once you make the request, a customer support agent should connect with you and process your refund. It might take some time before the money comes back to your pocket, but that’s it.
The ExpressVPN refund policy
All customers who take out a subscription with ExpressVPN are entitled to a full refund up to 30 days after they start their package. The VPN promises “no hassle, no stress” when applying for a refund. All you need is a basic explanation of the problems you’ve encountered.
The only potential issues are related to upgrades. If you upgrade your account or add a license to your account within the 30-day money-back term, that counts as waiving the guarantee – something to be aware of.
It’s also important to note that the guarantee specifically lasts for “30 days”. That’s not the same as a month, so don’t get caught out.
At this stage, it’s probably handy to reiterate the basic ExpressVPN refund policy, to clear up what customers should expect, and to offer some help for users who have passed beyond the 30-day period.
Customers can claim refunds beyond 30 days in some cases. As the terms of service state, refunds may be provided “if a Subscriber can demonstrate that the Service was not available or usable during the subscription period and that reasonable attempts were made to contact ExpressVPN to resolve the issue.”
4 reasons why you may not get your ExpressVPN refund
With ExpressVPN, there is a small chance that refunds will be denied or not received for several reasons:
- You have purchased ExpressVPN via the Apple App Store. ExpressVPN does not issue 30 day refunds for in-app purchases on Apple devices. Refunds are still available, but users need to make requests via the Apple Store.
- You don’t meet ExpressVPN’s refund criteria. If there is no evidence of service problems and you haven’t told ExpressVPN about those issues, there’s a good chance your request will be turned down.
- PayPal problems block the auto-renewal cancellation. In some cases, customers have found that cancellations have been blocked by PayPal, which is why we recommend manually stopping IPNs (Instant Payment Notifications) when requesting a refund.
- The refund process wasn’t completed. Remember all of those “Turn off auto-renewal” buttons we talked about earlier? If your refund hasn’t arrived, there’s a chance that you missed one of those annoying buttons and bailed out of the process too soon.
Alternative options for ExpressVPN
Once you’ve said goodbye to ExpressVPN, it would be a good idea to get a replacement VPN. Here are a few options from our recommended top VPN providers.
If security and privacy are your concerns, then you will find no better option than NordVPN. With jurisdiction in Panama and diskless servers – you can be certain that their no-logs policy is the real deal. In addition, they are well known for providing ludicrous connection speeds and unblocking streaming services like Netflix. All that and much more for $3.29/month. You also can find a comparison of NordVPN vs ExpressVPN here.
If you are cutting ties with ExpressVPN because of their ridiculous price, then look no further than Surfshark VPN. For an affordable price of only $2.30/month, you can connect an unlimited amount of devices, secure them with military-grade encryption, enjoy great speeds and unrestricted Netflix content.
Don’t miss out on our special Atlas VPN deal and get a three-year subscription + 3 months free for only $1.99/month. You’ll be able to connect an unlimited number of devices and take advantage of its superb ability to get around geo-restrictions, and other great features to secure yourself effectively.
The bottom line: take advantage of ExpressVPN’s money-back feature
Privacy is important, so nobody should contend with sub-standard VPN services. While ExpressVPN generally serves its customers well, there will inevitably be a few problems here and there, which is why the company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. As you can see, redeeming the guarantee isn’t complex.
In any case, don’t settle for poor performance. If ExpressVPN isn’t working for you, log on and demand that refund today.
Can you cancel ExpressVPN at any time?
Yes, you can cancel ExpressVPN at any time. But if you wait for more than 30 days, you will not get your money back.
Does ExpressVPN charge monthly?
ExpressVPN does not charge monthly. Instead, you pay for the entire subscription period upfront.
Is ExpressVPN trustworthy?
Yes, ExpressVPN is trustworthy. Their jurisdiction is in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands. Also, they have a court-proven no-logs policy, which has been audited by a third party.
How fast will I get my money back after canceling ExpressVPN?
It usually takes a few days. However, this entirely depends on your bank and how fast it will handle the operation.
Ethan is a security researcher and digital privacy advocate. He spends his time unraveling various anonymity and security tools, plus contributing to open-source projects. Otherwise, he keeps a low profile by hiking or cycling around the countryside.