There’s plenty to like when it comes to Kodi, the world’s most beloved home theatre software. However, one of the best things about this application is its broad platform support. As you can imagine, Kodi is fully supported on macOS as well, and you can easily install it.
We believe that Macs, especially those protected by a high-quality VPN for Mac, are the best machines when it comes to using Kodi. That’s because they come with hugely capable displays that make Kodi’s UI look gorgeous. This means that there’s no reason not to store your entire media library within Kodi and keep all your files neatly organized.
In this article, we’ll tell you about how to install Kodi, the easiest way possible. However, we’ll also expand on that topic and turn you into an advanced Kodi user.
How to install & uninstall Kodi on Mac
The most important thing you need to know is this – Kodi comes as a native macOS application. Even though it’s present on a wide range of platforms, we’re not talking about a ported version. Instead, Kodi is designed to take full advantage of your system, including different controls and gestures that are only available on macOS.
How to install Kodi on Mac
First, we’ll be dealing with installing a Mac version of Kodi. For this procedure, all you need is an active Web connection and a Web browser, which we’re sure you already have.
- Launch your Web browser and visit Kodi’s official website;
- Now, click on the “Download” button in the top-right corner. If you can’t see this button, you’re probably using a Mac with a lower resolution display. In that case, click on the hamburger button in the top-left corner, and this is where you’ll find the prominent blue-colored “Download” button;
- On this page, you’ll see a grid of icons representing the supported platforms. Click on “MacOS”;
- Now, you’ll see three tabs named “Recommended”, “Pre-Release”, and “Development Builds”. Naturally, you can find the latest stable version in the first tab. So, go ahead and select this tab;
- Now click on “Installer (64bit),” and Kodi’s DMG file will be downloaded to your Mac;
- If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also try one of Kodi’s pre-release builds. At the moment, this is where you’ll find the latest pre-release version of Kodi 18 Leia.
- Depending on the speed of your Web connection, it might take a few minutes until Kodi’s installation file is fully downloaded (it’s around 80MB in size);
- Next, open the “Downloads” folder (if this is where your Web browser downloads files by default) and launch Kodi’s DMG file;
- A new window should appear, where you can see Kodi’s icon. All there’s left is to drag Kodi’s icon into the “Applications” folder.
- Your Mac will now do the rest of the job. After a few moments, Kodi will be fully installed.
- That’s it! You can find Kodi in your “Applications” folder now. Enjoy!
How to uninstall Kodi on Mac
You might think that there’s no need to tell you how to uninstall Kodi. However, if you think this is done by dragging Kodi’s icon into Trash – you’re wrong. This will indeed remove Kodi from your computer, but some ghost files will remain, taking precious space on your Mac’s hard drive.
For this procedure, we’re going to use a handy application called AppCleaner. It comes completely free of charge, and you can use it to remove just about any application from your Mac, including some deeply hidden files. So, here’s how to uninstall Kodi on Mac.
First, download AppCleaner and install it on your Mac. Then, launch the application;
You’ll see a window that says “Drop Your Apps Here.” So, drag and drop Kodi’s icon onto this window;
After a few moments, AppCleaner will scan for all Kodi-associated files, and you’ll see a list of results.
Make sure that all files are selected, and then click on “Remove” in the bottom-right corner;
AppCleaner will now complete removing Kodi from your machine.
That’s it! How simple was that, right?
What to do after installing Kodi?
Now that you have Kodi installed on your Mac, you might we wondering what to do next. Well, you can start importing your collection of movies, TV shows, music, photos, and pretty much anything in between. However, you can also explore third-party options for customizing Kodi.
- Official & unofficial add-ons: Kodi is known for having an enormous library of add-ons. You can think of these are streaming services, as we have add-ons for movies, TV shows, music, live TV streaming, and plenty more. To get started, click on “Add-Ons” on the left side of the screen, and then click “Downloads.”
- Custom Kodi skins: did you know that you can completely change Kodi’s appearance? You can do this by going to the application’s settings. Select “Interface Settings,” and you’ll see how you can download and apply new skins.
- Custom Kodi builds: lastly, we have third-party builds that are packages that contain dozens of add-ons. When you install a build, you will get a custom skin, and you’ll get numerous add-ons categorized by their primary type of content.
Never use Kodi without a reliable VPN
Before we let you go, we want to take this opportunity to warn you against using Kodi without any digital protection. You see, plenty of Kodi add-ons tap into different sources of content, and some of those lead to copyright infringement. As you can imagine, this leads to numerous legal problems, some of which can be quite serious.
To stay fully protected when using Kodi, you need to subscribe to a top-tier VPN for Kodi that will reliably encrypt your online data and make you entirely anonymous online. In other words, it will hide everything you do online from your ISP and other third-parties.
Let’s also not forget to mention other benefits of VPNs. These can be used every time you’re online, as they unblock websites, allow you to use public wifi hotspots safely, and they make your web connection more stable. And despite being so helpful and ultra-powerful, they are quite affordable as well.
Make sure to do your research and select a VPN that will keep you safe and sound. Plus, you’ll fully unlock Kodi and enjoy using its add-ons with no restrictions.